Home Sports Talk

2023 college football thread

Comments

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Nice snowstorm in Kansas. Anyone know who Texas plays next week?

Still snowing with the field covered (by the snow) - K State just went up by 7 in the 3rd

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be darn, K State ended up losing.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2023 6:28AM

@Steven59 said: announcers of the game had stated earlier that McCord usually stares right at the receiver the play/pass is intended for

McCord is a junior and that's the sort of thing that can be taught. I would expect him to improve.

--- corrected, thanks @Basebal21.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭✭

McCord is a junior that NFL teams have little to no interest in. Hes not a sophomore

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2023 3:29AM

Auburn turned the ball over 3 times. Bama none. Bama is too young and inexperienced to pose a threat to Georgia.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

The name is Bond....... B)

edited November 26, 2023 4:27AM

Is it safe to say win or lose their title games Georgia and Michigan are in ?

Georgia won its 29th in a row yesterday, beating the old record of 28 held by a couple of Bama squads.

For those who don’t follow Georgia, they have the best draft eligible player, who unfortunately is struggling with injury and dnp Saturday.

edited November 26, 2023 5:21AM

Michigan barely beat (OSU), who barely beat (ND), who lost badly to Clemson, who got beat by Miami, Fla, who got beat by Louisville, and #9 Louisville just lost to Kentucky.

Yeah, Michigan should jump Georgia in the polls, even though Georgia beats them easily by 14.

They say Ohio State will get Louisville in their bowl game.

😂😂😂😂😂

The team that lost to Kentucky.
    Who got destroyed by Georgia.

edited November 26, 2023 7:11AM

Go Troy !!!

Wow. Bama only getting 4.5 ?
    Thought that would be in the 9-11 range.
    Georgia brings their A game and it’s
    35-17 imo.

• burghmanburghman Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭

@Applejacks said:
    Michigan barely beat (OSU), who barely beat (ND), who lost badly to Clemson, who got beat by Miami, Fla, who got beat by Louisville, and #9 Louisville just lost to Kentucky.

Ooh, let me try! Georgia barely beat Auburn, who got destroyed by NM State. Oh, wait, that doesn’t prove your point… I know, how about Alabama lost to Texas who lost to Oklahoma who lost to Kansas who lost to Texas Tech who lost to West Virginia who lost to Penn state who lost to both Michigan and Ohio State. Um, no, that’s not it either…

This approach at trying to compare resumes never works.

Jim

@burghman said:

@Applejacks said:

Ooh, let me try! Georgia barely beat Auburn, who got destroyed by NM State. Oh, wait, that doesn’t prove your point… I know, how about Alabama lost to Texas who lost to Oklahoma who lost to Kansas who lost to Texas Tech who lost to West Virginia who lost to Penn state who lost to both Michigan and Ohio State. Um, no, that’s not it either…

And yet another alt.
    This place is amazing 😂

My point will clearly be proven when MeChicken hopefully plays Georgia.

Auburn didn’t even care nor try in that game. Anyone who doesn’t know that, well.

The fact is even if Michigan jumped Georgia this week, if both win next week it reverses once again.

edited November 26, 2023 9:29AM

@Applejacks said:

@burghman said:

@Applejacks said:

And yet another alt.
    This place is amazing 😂

Auburn didn’t even care nor try in that game. Anyone who doesn’t know that, well.

Anyone who disagrees with you is just the same person? And this same person has been plotting for 5 years by creating alts just so they could spring them all on you when you spout your nonsense? I’m / We’re evil genuis(es)!

I’m not an alt - been here since 2018 with this single user ID… started in coins, moved to cards, been here and only here as Burghman ever since.

For what it’s worth, I’m a PSU alum with cousins who are massive GA fans. We were talking smack back in 1982 when PSU prevailed over Herschel. I’ve been dealing with a lot of GA football nonsense for a long time.

ETA - congrats on your upcoming 2 1/2 month anniversary on these boards

Jim

edited November 26, 2023 10:02AM

@burghman said:

@Applejacks said:

@burghman said:

@Applejacks said:

And yet another alt.
    This place is amazing 😂

Anyone who disagrees with you is just the same person? And this same person has been plotting for 5 years by creating alts just so they could spring them all on you when you spout your nonsense? I’m / We’re evil genuis(es)!

I’m not an alt - been here since 2018 with this single user ID…

ETA - congrats on your upcoming 2 1/2 month anniversary on these boards

Congratulations on your first post in this years college football thread.

I’ve got more posts here in 2 1/2 months then you do in 5 years.

Thanks for stopping bye.

See ya in another 5 years when PSU
    is still a laughing stock.
    We all love the job Franklin is doing here. He fits the Big 10 perfectly.
    Can’t decide if PSU or OSU has the best coach in the land !
    What say you ?

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is your major malfunction, @Applejacks ?

I’m not a blind PSU fan - it sure hasn’t been a fun 15 years. I’m not overjoyed with Franklin, but we’re stuck with him. Not sure I’d call 10-2 a laughing stock - saw a stat recently… PSU has the 5th or 6th most top 12 finishes in the 4 team playoff era. The only reason they haven’t been in the playoff is that the B1G East is a monster to get through, and when we’ve done well against OSU and Mich we’ve blown a game somewhere else (looking at you, Pitt).

There are ebbs and flows - from 1982 to 2020, Penn State had more national championships than GA, and GA wasn’t much different than PSU has been recently. Enjoy it while it lasts because the tide will eventually turn for GA too.

Jim

@Applejacks said:
    35-17 imo.

Georgia has the better QB, but other than that Bama is basically the only team in the country that can match them at basically every position. Bama can beat them and if they do its going to be absolute chaos for the playoff rankings. Its possible the committee would just leave Bama out, theyve refused to move them or Texas up all year and its looking like they will leave them at 7 and 8 again and leave OSU ahead of them even though OSU only has 2 ranked wins and Bama has 3

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@burghman said:
    I’m not a blind PSU fan - it sure hasn’t been a fun 15 years. I’m not overjoyed with Franklin, but we’re stuck with him. Not sure I’d call 10-2 a laughing stock - saw a stat recently… PSU has the 5th or 6th most top 12 finishes in the 4 team playoff era. The only reason they haven’t been in the playoff is that the B1G East is a monster to get through, and when we’ve done well against OSU and Mich we’ve blown a game somewhere else (looking at you, Pitt).

There are ebbs and flows - from 1982 to 2020, Penn State had more national championships than GA, and GA wasn’t much different than PSU has been recently. Enjoy it while it lasts because the tide will eventually turn for GA too.

The 10-2 is realize. Those 2 loses were the only 2 ranked teams they played all year and Franklin has an atrocious record against ranked teams. Lots of teams fire coaches, Indiana and Houston just did so this morning and Indiana has to give a 20 million buyout. PSU is only stuck with Franklin if they choose to be stuck with him just like OSU and Ryan Day whose 1 and 6 against playoff caliber opponents in his time there.

GA wont be going anywhere as long as Kirby is there. Hes built a Saban type dynasty there and despite all the guys theyve had drafted they just keep reloading. With the transfer portal its easy to reload everything but linemen

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@burghman said:

The 10-2 is realize. Those 2 loses were the only 2 ranked teams they played all year and Franklin has an atrocious record against ranked teams. Lots of teams fire coaches, Indiana and Houston just did so this morning and Indiana has to give a 20 million buyout. PSU is only stuck with Franklin if they choose to be stuck with him just like OSU and Ryan Day whose 1 and 6 against playoff caliber opponents in his time there.

GA wont be going anywhere as long as Kirby is there. Hes built a Saban type dynasty there and despite all the guys theyve had drafted they just keep reloading. With the transfer portal its easy to reload everything but linemen

It’s almost embarrassing that they’re ranked because they are a true laughingstock and they set football back 40 years every time we have to watch their offense take the field, but Iowa is #18 and PSU annihilated them. I agree, the schedule wasn’t great and unfortunately the B1G was down this year. But I think PSU is firmly in that group of 5-10 teams that settle in right behind the 4-5 elites.

PSU isn’t going to pony up a $50 million buyout to be out from under Franklin, especially when there isn’t someone out there that’s an obvious upgrade. I’m willing to stick with the guy for a few more years to see how things go in the “new” B1G - just needs to get a legit OC in there and try to keep Manny and they’ll be ok.

Jim

@burghman said:

@Basebal21 said:

@burghman said:

It’s almost embarrassing that they’re ranked because they are a true laughingstock and they set football back 40 years every time we have to watch their offense take the field, but Iowa is #18 and PSU annihilated them. I agree, the schedule wasn’t great and unfortunately the B1G was down this year. But I think PSU is firmly in that group of 5-10 teams that settle in right behind the 4-5 elites.

PSU isn’t going to pony up a $50 million buyout to be out from under Franklin, especially when there isn’t someone out there that’s an obvious upgrade. I’m willing to stick with the guy for a few more years to see how things go in the “new” B1G - just needs to get a legit OC in there and try to keep Manny and they’ll be ok.

Iowa wasnt ranked when they played them but I had completely forgot they even exist. I tried watching an Iowa game and still have PTSD from how boring it was. Someone should let them know that the forward pass has been invented. They should have to have the 10pm game every week to help people go to sleep.

PSU will be fine in the new B!G, but theyre basically going to be in the same spot even without divisions. The PAC teams coming in wont do much. Oregon has the best chance of doing something but they wiill have a new QB next year, USC basically has the same problem PSU has where Riley struggles against top teams and USC has a terrible defense. Washington is this years TCU where they should have lost 5 games but somehow keep winning and will have a new QB next year and their stud WR will be gone. UCLA just isnt that good. USC and UCLA have the longest travel schedule in the country and to make it even worse USC opens the season with LSU in Vegas and UCLA plays LSU at the end of September as well.

None of the PAC teams will really be a threat. As much fun as it is to rip on Iowa now that the coaches son is fired who was a god awful OC they can become a problem quickly if they get an offense. Wisconsin might be starting to come back a bit but yea the B!G was definitely very down this year overall and really no team in the conference had more than a mediocre QB. Aller is the best QB in the conference and hes nothing special.

The big problem with Franklin is he gets the yips against the big teams and coaches completely differently. When you can put up 31 on Iowa if you just coach an aggressive offense like that they should have been able to score more than 12 on OSU and more than 15 on Michigan. Theyd almost be better off if he just got suspended for those games instead of coming and completely changing everything. They have the money to pay him off if they want but yea I dont expect him going anywhere this year. A bunch of teams have already fired their coaches and are getting first pick at replacements. If they were going to do it it probably would have happened as soon as their game was over like what happened to Jimbo at A&M

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2023 9:33PM

My top ten heading into championship weekend.

Michigan
    Georgia
    Washington
    Ohio State
    Florida State
    Oregon
    Texas
    Alabama
    Penn State
    Oklahoma

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:
    35-17 imo.

Georgia has the better QB, but other than that Bama is basically the only team in the country that can match them at basically every position. Bama can beat them and if they do its going to be absolute chaos for the playoff rankings. Its possible the committee would just leave Bama out, theyve refused to move them or Texas up all year and its looking like they will leave them at 7 and 8 again and leave OSU ahead of them even though OSU only has 2 ranked wins and Bama has 3

Aren’t you missing the experience difference between both teams ?

Bama is as talented as Georgia but way more inexperienced.

Georgia has the best player in college football at TE.

Kirby keeps complaining about injuries but I think he’s bluffing.
    If true it could be closer.

edited November 27, 2023 1:41AM

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:
    35-17 imo.

. Bama can beat them

If healthy there’s no way Bama can.
    It could get ugly.
    If hurting UGA still wins.

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:
    35-17 imo.

Aren’t you missing the experience difference between both teams ?

Bama is as talented as Georgia but way more inexperienced.

Georgia has the best player in college football at TE.

Kirby keeps complaining about injuries but I think he’s bluffing.
    If true it could be closer.

They have the same experience and Bama had the best CB in the country with Koolaid and one of the best edge rushers with Turner. The major difference is Beck vs Milroe and Beck is much better. Milroe basically has to run or throw deep balls where Beck can spread it out all over the place

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately for OSU their best win was against a team that lost to Clemson and Louisville. ND's only win against a currently ranked team was against 21st ranked NC State. I don't think you can count Penn State as a great win because Penn State has beaten only one team that didn't suck (Iowa). This was very much a down year for the B10, though Michigan could salvage things for the conference if they win the National Championship.

Hopefully the selection committee won't make the mistake of putting two B10 teams in the playoffs again. SInce the 2014/15 run by OSU, I think the B10 has won a grand total of one CFP game. For whatever reason, B10 teams just can't win against the best teams in the country. That said, I do think Michigan has a good shot of breaking that trend especially if they get to play Washington in the semi-finals.

Robb

Since that 2015 Championship for OSU they are 1-4 and Michigan is 0-2 in the playoffs. That really was a bad decision putting both in last year, but unfortunately its the same committee this year and theres a good chance it could happen again. Oregon will probably beat Washington this time and Im not really sure what they will do at that point. They keep having them both between 4-6 and refuse to move Texas or Bama up even though Oregon and Washington really dont have have strong resumes, especially Oregon whose still getting credit like Colorado was a legit ranked win

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@fergie23 said: Unfortunately for OSU their best win was against a team that lost to Clemson and Louisville.

These are always interesting comparisons and the only one we have, but they are rather meaningless. Teams can only be rated at the time they play each other and at that time each is often different than at the end of the season. This is no exception.

The counter to such a comparison would be to leave everyone unranked and then use a formula at the end of the season figuring who beat who at what point with relative strength of schedule and a bunch of other variable data points that would make it really crazy. It makes no sense, neither does trying to compare teams at different points in the season.

I have a better idea.

Have a playoff that uses the conference Champions and round out the 12 team field(or however many it is) using the AP Poll top teams not already a Conference Champion. That would eliminate the "committee" and use a system that's been around and working well for almost 100 years.

@Basebal21 said:
    Since that 2015 Championship for OSU they are 1-4 and Michigan is 0-2 in the playoffs. That really was a bad decision putting both in last year, but unfortunately its the same committee this year and theres a good chance it could happen again. Oregon will probably beat Washington this time and Im not really sure what they will do at that point. They keep having them both between 4-6 and refuse to move Texas or Bama up even though Oregon and Washington really dont have have strong resumes, especially Oregon whose still getting credit like Colorado was a legit ranked win

Next year will be better.
    Then the year after also.
    Let’s hope Michigan and Georgia win next week.

edited November 27, 2023 10:40AM

After an Auburn win.

After Auburn loss.

@fergie23 said:
    Unfortunately for OSU their best win was against a team that lost to Clemson and Louisville. ND's only win against a currently ranked team was against 21st ranked NC State. I don't think you can count Penn State as a great win because Penn State has beaten only one team that didn't suck (Iowa). This was very much a down year for the B10, though Michigan could salvage things for the conference if they win the National Championship.

Hopefully the selection committee won't make the mistake of putting two B10 teams in the playoffs again. SInce the 2014/15 run by OSU, I think the B10 has won a grand total of one CFP game. For whatever reason, B10 teams just can't win against the best teams in the country. That said, I do think Michigan has a good shot of breaking that trend especially if they get to play Washington in the semi-finals.

Robb

Nah, actually Ohio State has a better resume than Georgia because I think Penn State would beat anyone Georgia played this year. And alot of people thought OSU outplayed Georgia last year. Even Nick Saban said the Buckeyes got screwed by the refs in that game.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley, I admire your steadfast support for Ohio State but in truth the Buckeyes have performed poorly throughout the BCS and CFP period. They should be congratulated for maintaining their program and always "being in the hunt" but when it comes time to prove themselves they have repeatedly failed. As a fan I wish it were different but it isn't.

I don't know if they'll make the playoff this season, I doubt it, but if certain things happen they could get in. I don't know if Ryan Day will have much of a future at OSU, but if he does I sure wish he'd focus more on recruiting defensive players.

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

Next year will be better.
    Then the year after also.
    Let’s hope Michigan and Georgia win next week.

I am very excited to get to the 12 team playoff. It should have never been less than at least 6 and could give 1 and 2 a bye week. The best part will be is that we wont have to wait a month for the first playoff game anymore unless they decide they want to play into February.

The committee itself wont improve much next year. Most of them have another year or two left on it unless they resign and the new head of it next year is the Air Force commandant. Hes a general who wont be paying much attention and will be much more interested in making sure the school is running well which he should be.

Even with the expanded playoffs a non power 4 team (other than ND) wont be making it unless they try and force someone there especially now that the Big 12 took the 4 that could have had a shot, and the ACC took another with SMU. Oregon State is going to fall apart in the MWC especially with their coaching staff leaving for Michigan State, and Washington State just wasnt that good to begin with.

Id actually enjoy the chaos of Bama and Iowa winning if we had a better committee.

There is a very real possibility Bama wins the SEC, Iowa wins the B!G, Oregon wins the Pac 2, Louisville wins the ACC, and Texas finds a way to lose as well just being an absolute disaster of 1 loss teams

Missouri 14 OSU 3

These are always interesting comparisons and the only one we have, but they are rather meaningless. Teams can only be rated at the time they play each other and at that time each is often different than at the end of the season. This is no exception.

That is a horrifically bad take. How good a team actually is can only be measured after they plan most, if not all, of their games. Early season rankings are simply a popularity contest. For instance, a win against USC when they were a top 10 team has turned out to be basically meaningless since USC's ranking was entirely based on how they played the year prior.

Beating a highly ranked team late in the season actually is meaningful. Beating a highly ranked team early in the season or before they have to play the better teams on their schedule...doesn't mean anything unless the team that lost proves that they actually deserved their early season ranking.

Robb

actually Ohio State has a better resume than Georgia because I think Penn State would beat anyone Georgia played this year. And alot of people thought OSU outplayed Georgia last year. Even Nick Saban said the Buckeyes got screwed by the refs in that game

At least your homer takes are always entertaining.

Penn State wouldn't run the table if they had Georgia's schedule. Penn State has played 2 good teams, one decent team, and a whole lot of bad teams. They lost to both good teams they played. Does that mean they will lose a bowl game? Who knows, bowl games are a crap shoot. These days, many of the best players sit out and many teams react poorly to not playing a game for a month. The bowl games can be entertaining but they rarely provide any sort of true gauge as to the actual strength of a conference.

I think if Georgia loses the SEC championship game they get in over OSU since OSU couldn't even make it to their conference championship game. But we will see, there always seem to be a bunch of upsets this time of year which makes the committee selections exciting and controversial.

OSU lost to a better team last year when they played Georgia. Here is an idea, actually win the games that matter. For whatever reason, OSU doesn't seem to be able to do that. You have had nothing but excuses since OSU won in 2014/15. Even when the committed gift wrapped the B10 with two slots in the playoffs last year, something you had previously claimed wouldn't happen, the B10 lost both games. It was an utterly embarrassing performance by the B10 and continued the trend of the B10 being incapable of winning against the elite teams in college football.

The 12 team playoff should be great, it will give the B10 a shot at actually winning some CFP games! That said, I really think Michigan will win their CFP semi-final game as long as they don't have to play Georgia or Alabama.

Robb

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

Nah, actually Ohio State has a better resume than Georgia because I think Penn State would beat anyone Georgia played this year. And alot of people thought OSU outplayed Georgia last year. Even Nick Saban said the Buckeyes got screwed by the refs in that game.

Without the targeting hit on Harrison, Ohio wins that game. Not even a shred of doubt in my mind.

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

Without the targeting hit on Harrison, Ohio wins that game. Not even a shred of doubt in my mind.

There was no targeting hit on Harrison. Stroud threw a floater up to him and got him crushed. Shoulder to shoulder hits arent targeting neither are hit just because someone does it to well.

If anyone really believes thats targeting than lets get get rid of the pads and play two hand touch. Hitting someone to hard isnt targeting

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

There was no targeting hit on Harrison. Stroud threw a floater up to him and got him crushed. Shoulder to shoulder hits arent targeting neither are hit just because someone does it to well.

If anyone really believes thats targeting than lets get get rid of the pads and play two hand touch. Hitting someone to hard isnt targeting

Dunno what to tell you. There was helmet to helmet. I posted the still photo of it last year. Just watched it again - yep, still helmet to helmet.

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

Dunno what to tell you. There was helmet to helmet. I posted the still photo of it last year. Just watched it again - yep, still helmet to helmet.

There wasnt and it was looked at for a long time. If you want the game to be something where a helmet just graces another and they can play two hand touch and call tackles thats fine.

There was nothing malicious or targeting other than a terrible throw by Stroud hanging Harrison out to dry.

You want OSU to win that game, dont blow it in the 4th quarter. Georgia scored 18 points in the fourth quarter

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Oh, it was a widowmaker throw, no question. But even Chris Fowler, SEC fanboy, called it helmet to helmet. Which it was.

@Maywood said:
    @coolstanley, I admire your steadfast support for Ohio State but in truth the Buckeyes have performed poorly throughout the BCS and CFP period.

Are you kididng? They won 2 NATTY's during that timeframe. How many teams besides Bama have won more??

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited November 28, 2023 4:18AM

@fergie23 said:
    actually Ohio State has a better resume than Georgia because I think Penn State would beat anyone Georgia played this year. And alot of people thought OSU outplayed Georgia last year. Even Nick Saban said the Buckeyes got screwed by the refs in that game

At least your homer takes are always entertaining.

Penn State wouldn't run the table if they had Georgia's schedule. Penn State has played 2 good teams, one decent team, and a whole lot of bad teams.

Nah, the truth is Penn State has played a much tougher schedule than Georgia, and could beat any team Georgia has played. No one here even you isn't dumb enough to think that Ole miss and Missouri are better than Ohio State and Michigan. Georgia would not go undefeated with Penn State's schedule.

And Georgia struggled against Missouri without Missouri's best player.

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited November 28, 2023 4:15AM

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

Exactly. But of course these sec homers would never admit that fact. Even Nick Saban said it was targeting. Buckeyes went toe to toe in Georgia's backyard.

Ignore list -Basebal21

Good grief...... :#

edited November 28, 2023 4:18AM

double post

Ignore list -Basebal21

@Bullsitter said:
    Good grief...... :#

Tough schedule no doubt. Now look at this one. No way Michigan goes undefeated with that schedule. Especially when they lose almost everybody from this year as there are 44 seniors on this years team.

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited November 28, 2023 4:40AM

It's about time.
    Sept 7, Texas (SEC) goes to Ann Arbor..... :D

Got the OSU schedule? Found it..... :p

:)