ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    It's about time.
    Sept 7, Texas (SEC) goes to Ann Arbor..... :D

Got the OSU schedule? Found it..... :p

Just two tough games.

• Options

Can’t understand why people talk about last year.

This year and last year has totally different teams in each program.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

Penn State has played a much tougher schedule than Georgia, and could beat any team Georgia has played. No one here even you isn't dumb enough to think that Ole miss and Missouri are better than Ohio State and Michigan. Georgia would not go undefeated with Penn State's schedule.

Maybe they would and maybe they wouldn't go undefeated with Penn State's schedule. Georgia is certainly far more capable of beating anyone on Penn State's schedule than Penn State was.

Hopefully, they get to play Michigan and we will get a chance to see how the team that owns OSU at the moment does against the SEC. You would think an SEC victory over the best the B10 has to offer would change your mind but after almost a decade of SEC dominance over the B10 in the CFPs I doubt you will change your tune. You have a never ending list of excuses as to why your team or a B10 champion couldn't get it done when it matters the most.

In the end you never know, Michigan could finally show up in a CFP game and give you some bragging rights instead of making you seem completely delusional. Michigan did better last year than they did in 2021 when they got blown out. I think this year's Georgia team is not nearly as good as the previous two incarnations so feels like a good chance for Michigan to finally make some noise in the CFP but I certainly wouldn't bet on Michigan given their track record.

SEC vs B10 CFP
    No. 1 Georgia 42, No. 4 Ohio State 41
    No. 3 Georgia 34, No. 2 Michigan 11
    No. 1 Alabama 52, No. 3 Ohio State 24
    No. 2 Alabama 38, No. 3 Michigan State 0
    No. 4 Ohio State 42, No. 1 Alabama 35

I imagine you will be rooting for Georgia, Washington, OK State, and Louisville this weekend. Seems like a fairly unlikely series of outcomes for OSU to back their way into the CFPs but anything can happen in college football when the pressure gets turned up.

Robb

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    Oh, it was a widowmaker throw, no question. But even Chris Fowler, SEC fanboy, called it helmet to helmet. Which it was.

It wasnt helmet to helmet just because of incidental contact. Getting hit to hard shouldnt cause the guy to get ejected although we might start going that way. Once Harrison was flatfooted basically waiting on the ball that had the hang time of a punt he was going to get destroyed and probably lost some awareness of where Georgias defenders were with one of them getting a running start to take him out. Only thing Harrison really could have done is either let it go or run up to the front of the endzone and work back like hes running a route.

The targeting rule in general is extremely flawed. Its one thing when we have a guy launching himself to spear someone in the head like the GT player did recently, but its another when Mississippi State has a player thrown out for hitting a runner in the chest that was trying to jump over him.

No one likes head injuries, but many players have talked about the issue that if we start interpreting targeting for any contact to the head or with a helmet guys will start going low. ACL tears, destroyed knees etc can be career enders but thats what the rule is encouraging if any contact is targeting.

Theres also the other massive flaw that its an automatic ejection. There should be two versions of it. You can have the egregious ejection version and a second where its a penalty but the player is not ejected like the two different versions of hitting a kicker

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    No one likes head injuries, but many players have talked about the issue that if we start interpreting targeting for any contact to the head or with a helmet guys will start going low.

Guys already do. It's EASY to see the effect that the rule has had - and it's a good one. There's been a huge reduction in kill shot hits in college.

ACL tears, destroyed knees etc can be career enders but thats what the rule is encouraging if any contact is targeting.

ACL tears are better than neck breaks.

Theres also the other massive flaw that its an automatic ejection. There should be two versions of it. You can have the egregious ejection version and a second where its a penalty but the player is not ejected like the two different versions of hitting a kicker

Man, you think people howl about the rule now...

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:
    Good grief...... :#

Tough schedule no doubt. Now look at this one. No way Michigan goes undefeated with that schedule. Especially when they lose almost everybody from this year as there are 44 seniors on this years team.

Yeah, between Michigan & Ohio, Michigan definitely got the short end of the "Pac-12 teams joining the B1G" schedule next year. Plus Texas. I can't see Michigan going undefeated with that schedule either. Just way too many tough games. I could see Ohio running the table though.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:
    No one likes head injuries, but many players have talked about the issue that if we start interpreting targeting for any contact to the head or with a helmet guys will start going low.

Guys already do. It's EASY to see the effect that the rule has had - and it's a good one. There's been a huge reduction in kill shot hits in college.

ACL tears, destroyed knees etc can be career enders but thats what the rule is encouraging if any contact is targeting.

ACL tears are better than neck breaks.

Man, you think people howl about the rule now...

Guys generally go low to not get penalized. Theres always going to be the element of a 5'10 DB having to go low on a 6'4 250 TE that would just over power them but when the big boys start doing it too its going to be a big issue.

ACLs and broken legs arent necessarily better. Theres risks with those surgeries and broken necks are extremely rare. Leg injuries are far more common. The biggest thing for head injuries thats been done isnt the rule, its less contact in practice and wearing the over the helmet extra padding during practices

Its still football, someone can bounce their head off the ground on any tackle. The thing that gets people worked up the most from the targeting rule is the ejection and subsequent suspension if it happened in the second half. You could easily keep the yards the same and remove the ejection with two versions of it

Is this really what we want the rule becoming?

• Options

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

Tough schedule no doubt. Now look at this one. No way Michigan goes undefeated with that schedule. Especially when they lose almost everybody from this year as there are 44 seniors on this years team.

Yeah, between Michigan & Ohio, Michigan definitely got the short end of the "Pac-12 teams joining the B1G" schedule next year. Plus Texas. I can't see Michigan going undefeated with that schedule either. Just way too many tough games. I could see Ohio running the table though.

Michigan has serious issues if they cant beat USC next year in a home game. Oregon is a home game too. Washington just wont be that good barring some major developments in the transfer portal. All three with have new QBs and USCs defensive issues wont change that quick.

Texas is the big issue but thats still a home game for them.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

OSU’s schedule loaded with cream puffs next year. Michigan was due for a tougher one.

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Penn State has played a much tougher schedule than Georgia, and could beat any team Georgia has played. No one here even you isn't dumb enough to think that Ole miss and Missouri are better than Ohio State and Michigan. Georgia would not go undefeated with Penn State's schedule.

Maybe they would and maybe they wouldn't go undefeated with Penn State's schedule. Georgia is certainly far more capable of beating anyone on Penn State's schedule than Penn State was.

Hopefully, they get to play Michigan and we will get a chance to see how the team that owns OSU at the moment does against the SEC. You would think an SEC victory over the best the B10 has to offer would change your mind but after almost a decade of SEC dominance over the B10 in the CFPs I doubt you will change your tune. You have a never ending list of excuses as to why your team or a B10 champion couldn't get it done when it matters the most.

In the end you never know, Michigan could finally show up in a CFP game and give you some bragging rights instead of making you seem completely delusional. Michigan did better last year than they did in 2021 when they got blown out. I think this year's Georgia team is not nearly as good as the previous two incarnations so feels like a good chance for Michigan to finally make some noise in the CFP but I certainly wouldn't bet on Michigan given their track record.

SEC vs B10 CFP

I imagine you will be rooting for Georgia, Washington, OK State, and Louisville this weekend. Seems like a fairly unlikely series of outcomes for OSU to back their way into the CFPs but anything can happen in college football when the pressure gets turned up.

Robb

Would enjoy hearing anyone’s reasoning as to why Georgia isn’t as good this year.
    They are loaded on offense.
    If they enter the postseason healthy, which I feel they will, don’t be surprised if they average 8 to 10 yards per play.

• Options

@Applejacks said:

@fergie23 said:

SEC vs B10 CFP

Robb

Would enjoy hearing anyone’s reasoning as to why Georgia isn’t as good this year.
    They are loaded on offense.
    If they enter the postseason healthy, which I feel they will, don’t be surprised if they average 8 to 10 yards per play.

I would say the argument would just be because they were one of the greatest teams off all time. They had 5 first rounders which is basically impossible for one school to do. Over 10 percent of that 2022 draft was Georgia players with 7 picked in the first 63 picks and then 3 more first rounders the year after. Theyll have some first rounders again but thats probably the logic. Their QB is better this year, they can and have turned it on when they want to they just arent that youre never going to ever score team the first was.

• Options

Here’s my greatest team of all time. They beat an incredible team that won the National championship the following year. It was a complete beat down even though Florida had an amazing passing offense.

• Options
    edited November 29, 2023 5:00AM

Look at the beat downs Florida was dishing out that year. Like I said, they won it all in 97 with basically the same team.

They beat 3 top 10 teams by 11 or more.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Applejacks said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

OSU’s schedule loaded with cream puffs next year.

Same with Georgia.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@Applejacks said:
    Look at the beat downs Florida was dishing out that year. Like I said, they won it all in 97 with basically the same team.

Too bad they didnt play against Michigan in 97. Michigan had the heisman winner.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Look at 95-96 Nebraska. Incredible beat downs.

They had 3x National Championship Game MVP as their senior QB against Florida.

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

Too bad they didnt play against Michigan in 97. Michigan had the heisman winner.

Michigan beat horrible Ryan Leaf and Washington St 21-16 in their bowl game.

Nebraska crushed Peyton Manning, Jamal Charles and UT 42-17 in their bowl game.

😂😂😂

• Options

@Applejacks said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

Same with Georgia.

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

😂😂😂

Washington State was really good that year. Nebraska beat Missouri on a fluke play.
    https://www.nytimes.com/1997/11/09/sports/college-football-fluke-score-rescues-nebraska-from-upset.html

Only reason why the coaches gave it to Nebraska was because their coach was retiring.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

Same with Georgia.

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

😂😂😂

Washington State was really good that year.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
    edited November 29, 2023 6:15AM

Washington State played no one ranked higher then #17.
    They struggled against the ranked teams they played, who actually were not top tier teams, except for UCLA, but they were home.
    Michigan BARELY beat WSU 21-16.

NU won by 10 or more against the 4 ranked teams they played.

• Options
    edited November 29, 2023 6:21AM

@Applejacks said:
    Look at 95-96 Nebraska. Incredible beat downs.

They had 3x National Championship Game MVP as their senior QB against Florida.

Show me the last time a team beat four Top 10 teams by 23, 24, 38, and 38. Only one of those at home.

I think that speaks for itself.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

TRANSFER PORTAL OPENS MONDAY !!!!!!!

• Options

@Applejacks said:

Michigan and Nebraska had two mutual opponents in 1997 - Colorado and Baylor. Michigan beat them by 24 and 35 points, respectively, allowing 6 points total. Nebraska beat them by 3 and 24, allowing 45 total.

Michigan lost the coaches poll because Phil Fulmer voted them behind Tennessee as payback for the (correct) Heisman voting outcome.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Applejacks said:

Michigan and Nebraska had two mutual opponents in 1997 - Colorado and Baylor. Michigan beat them by 24 and 35 points, respectively, allowing 6 points total. Nebraska beat them by 3 and 24, allowing 45 total.

Michigan lost the coaches poll because Phil Fulmer voted them behind Tennessee as payback for the (correct) Heisman voting outcome.

Yup. Dont you just love facts?

Michigan was clearly the better team in 97. Nebraska barely beat Colorado.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@Applejacks said:

Yup. Dont you just love facts?

Michigan was clearly the better team in 97. Nebraska barely beat Colorado.

And needed an arguably-illegal kicked ball fluke to beat 7-win Missouri.

• Options

Biggest game of the weekend is tomorrow night. #3 Washington vs #5 Oregon.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

So there are 19,000,000 people that know OSU was overrated.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2023 5:45AM

Lost by 6 on the road to #3. That's overrated?

Meanwhile Georgia struggled against a cupcake.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Lol at Washington State and Oregon State. Theyre keeping the Pac 2 and paying the Mountain West 14 million for them to berm to have their teams add them to their schedules.

• Options

The first playoff spot is filled. Washington led by former Indiana quarterback Michael Penix beats #5 Oregon.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

So there are 19,000,000 people that know OSU was overrated.

Too bad the playoff committee wasnt about of that 19 million

• Options

Texas win puts the nail in the CFP coffin for OSU.

If Georgia loses, I think Texas would deserve to be in over Alabama. While I think Georgia wins in a romp today, a loss will make the ACC championship game must watch TV for Alabama fans.

"Lost by 6 on the road to #3. That's overrated?"
    Never ceases to entertain how you spin every OSU failure. I think OSU could have made some noise in the CFPs as I don't think Georgia or Washington are great teams, but they couldn't get past Michigan and the CFP committee isn't going to bail them out this year.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Texas win puts the nail in the CFP coffin for OSU.

If Georgia loses, I think Texas would deserve to be in over Alabama. While I think Georgia wins in a romp today, a loss will make the ACC championship game must watch TV for Alabama fans.

I get the head to head thing but Bama really would deserve to be in over Texas. They played each other week 2 and Bama has had the harder schedule. Texas currently has the best win in the country with the win over Bama, but that would change to Bama having the best win in the country with the win over GA if they pulled it off. Thats assuming Bama wins

I'm withholding judgment on FSU until we see how their freshman QB plays tonight who will likely be the starter. Travis is done for the year and their backup who isnt all that good is still in concussion protocol. The freshman is more talented than him but has no experience. Id be fine putting Texas in over FSU even if FSU wins if their freshman QB doesnt look very good tonight

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2023 1:54PM

@fergie23 makes some good points. I'm an Ohio State fan and they always seem to be in the hunt and generally make a compelling case for themselves --- BUT --- when it comes time to put-up-or-shut-up the Buckeyes always fail. It is hard to make any kind of a case for them this season, they'll probably squeak into the Final Top Ten at nine or ten.

Right now with the Georgia vs. Alabama game getting ready to start the Playoff water is muddy at best for me.
    1. Georgia or Michigan.
    2. Michigan or Washington.
    3. Washington, Florida State or Texas.
    4. Georgia, Alabama, Florida State or Texas.

JMHO. based on the games that have already been played it would seem only Michigan and Washington are in for sure. After the games are all played I'll give a list of my Top Ten.

• Options

Michigan being in with a loss to Iowa should trigger an immediate displace of anyone that votes them in with a subsequent investigation into possible taking of bribes.

There is no world where Michigan with that schedule deserves to be in with a loss to Iowa

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2023 3:49PM

Surprising to see Georgia die after an opening drive that was pretty impressive. It'll be interesting to see what kind of adjustments each team makes after the half.

If Georgia figures out a way to win I see them still as number one. However, if Alabama wins and Florida State wins I think it's:
    4. Texas.
    5. Alabama.
    6. Georgia.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can FSU win with their backup QB?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Its probably not their backup but FSU never says anything. The 3rd string has more talent. Can FSU beat Louisville with the back up sure. Could they beat a legit playoff team with the backup unlikely, but we are about to very likely see the worst playoff group ever with the SEC getting left out unless FSU loses

• Options

Bama wins and Michigan will probably be #1.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bama does win - this should screw the bowl picks up. Still have FSU and Mich to go tonight.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Final four

Michigan(win tonight)
    Washington
    Texas
    FSU(if win, Bama in if Louisville wins)

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

"Texas currently has the best win in the country with the win over Bama, but that would change to Bama having the best win in the country with the win over GA if they pulled it off. "

That makes no sense whatsoever. If Alabama beats Georgia and Texas beat Alabama, then Texas has the best win in the country. Beating the team that beat Georgia would be the best win in the country. Alabama would have been undefeated without the loss to Texas, no different than Georgia being undefeated heading into the SEC championship.

While I think the winner of Georgia/Alabama would be one of the 4 best teams in the country, I think if Alabama wins they should be excluded from the CFPs if Florida State and Michigan win. We already saw Texas play Alabama and Texas won in Alabama. There is literally nothing more definitive than that. None of this nonsense about it being week two, how many times over the last 20 years has Alabama gotten credit for an early season win against an out of conference ranked team? A ton of times and it has always been used to justify Alabama's place in the CFP or BCS conversation.

Robb

• Options

If they chose Bama over Texas(i dont think they will) then why even schedule games against the best teams during the regular season if they dont mean anything? LOL

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Michigan and Florida St losses would really shake things up. That said, I don't see anyway Michigan loses unless they commit 4 or 5 turnovers.

Robb

• Options

Week 2 win vs week 13.

OSU literally lost at home to a 7-6 Virginia Tech team the year they won the national championship but beating the best team in the country, having 4 ranked wins playing 5 ranked games and losing to a top 10 team should somehow keep them out of the playoffs?

By the way its actually impossible to have a game with more talent on the field than the Bama Georgia game that just happened. They have the top two rated rosters in the country.

I like Texas a lot, they have a ton of talent, but the fact is without either Bama or Georgia in the playoffs this year with what they did its just not a real playoff. Let Washington play either and it will be ugly

• Options

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

"OSU literally lost at home to a 7-6 Virginia Tech team the year they won the national championship"

You are so clueless sometimes. What on earth does a 7-6 loss to VT have to do with this conversation? Was VT in the running to be in the CFPs??? If you wanted to make the argument that Alabama needed some time to become a juggernaut that would hold a little more water if they didn't need a 4th and 31 miracle in the last minute of the game literally a week ago to escape with a victory against an unranked team that lost by 20+ points the week before.

If Alabama is put into the CFPs ahead of Texas, then every person on the playoff committee should be tarred and feathered.

Hopefully, FSU or Michigan loses and this doesn't become an issue.

"having 4 ranked wins playing 5 ranked games and losing to a top 10 team should somehow keep them out of the playoffs?"

It should if there are 4 teams with superior resumes in front of them. Undefeated Michigan, Washington and FSU would all be more deserving of a playoff spot than Alabama. That would leave another one loss conference champion to compare them to...and Alabama already lost to that team. It is really as simple and straightforward at that. If Alabama was a one loss team and Texas was one loss and they never played...then you could tilt to Alabama but that is simply not the case.

Robb