Home Sports Talk
Options

2023 college football thread

Comments

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

Those SEC vs B10 bowl matchups are off by one as the 2nd best B10 team isn't playing the 2nd best SEC team. Georgia should be playing OSU with the rest of the matchups shifted. That would have been a really good test between the conferences.

Sucks for FSU, I think the committee made a terrible mistake simply because they didn't want to deny the SEC a CFP spot. What you do on the field should matter. Fortunately, I don't think they will be able to make this level of mistake again as when determining the 7th or 8th best team for a 12 team playoff, the team(s) left out will have a lot more flaws. I say this believing Alabama/Georgia are absolutely top 4 teams in the country but just believing something shouldn't be enough, they should have had to prove it on the field and Alabama simply doesn't deserve a spot ahead of FSU.

Robb

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    Those SEC vs B10 bowl matchups are off by one as the 2nd best B10 team isn't playing the 2nd best SEC team. Georgia should be playing OSU with the rest of the matchups shifted. That would have been a really good test between the conferences.

Sucks for FSU, I think the committee made a terrible mistake simply because they didn't want to deny the SEC a CFP spot. What you do on the field should matter. Fortunately, I don't think they will be able to make this level of mistake again as when determining the 7th or 8th best team for a 12 team playoff, the team(s) left out will have a lot more flaws. I say this believing Alabama/Georgia are absolutely top 4 teams in the country but just believing something shouldn't be enough, they should have had to prove it on the field and Alabama simply doesn't deserve a spot ahead of FSU.

Robb

How can an undefeated #5 team (FSU) be a 13-point underdog to the #6 team (Georgia)?

• Options

"How can an undefeated #5 team (FSU) be a 13-point underdog to the #6 team (Georgia)?"

Doesn't matter what folks are predicting. Alabama was a 7 point favorite over Texas and lost by 10.

I already said Georgia/Alabama appear to be top 4 in the country teams but if all we are going to do is use the eye test, why play games at all?? If you don't reward teams for winning then what is the point?

Let's just put Alabama, Georgia, OSU and Michigan in the CFPs because they appear to be the most talented teams in the country. That is what the committee did, they said FSU winning all of their games is irrelevant because their QB got injured. Why didn't they apply that logic to OSU in 2014 when Barrett went down and the OSU 3rd string QB took over? It would have been one thing if FSU was a one loss ACC champion but they weren't. They were undefeated.

Robb

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oregon was favored by 10 over Washington.

But yeah its a travesty that two one loss teams got in over a undefeated. I think FSU had the most wins over teams playing in bowl games.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the committee got it right. FSU would be a warm up game for Michigan. I expect Alabama to easily handle Michigan. I believe Alabama wins it all as they avenge their loss to Texas.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW. Michigan players eat their cereal off of plates because they just can't handle bowls.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    edited December 4, 2023 11:43AM

@fergie23 said:
    "How can an undefeated #5 team (FSU) be a 13-point underdog to the #6 team (Georgia)?"

Doesn't matter what folks are predicting. Alabama was a 7 point favorite over Texas and lost by 10.

I already said Georgia/Alabama appear to be top 4 in the country teams but if all we are going to do is use the eye test, why play games at all?? If you don't reward teams for winning then what is the point?

Let's just put Alabama, Georgia, OSU and Michigan in the CFPs because they appear to be the most talented teams in the country. That is what the committee did, they said FSU winning all of their games is irrelevant because their QB got injured. when Barrett went down and the OSU 3rd string QB took over? It would have been one thing if FSU was a one loss ACC champion but they weren't. They were undefeated.

Robb

Thanks, that answered my question, the qb is injured.

Why didn't they apply that logic to OSU in 2014?
    OSU vs Wisconsin in championship game, OSU won 59-0, Cardale had 260 yds and 3 tds.
    FSU vs L'ville in championship game, FSU won 16-6 and had 55 yds passing.

Those stats might have something to do with that.

Also, last year they were ready to start the 12-team playoff this year but the ACC and two more conferences said no, they weren't ready. If the ACC had voted yes we'd have a 12-team playoff this year and FSU would be in.

Maybe if the SEC expands again FSU would join, they'd make a great addition. I remember, under Bowden, FSU had a chance to join the SEC but went to the ACC.

Good luck against Georgia.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:
    Ohio State starting quarterback Kyle McCord enters transfer portal.....oh my.

I wonder who plays against Missouri? We shall see.

Devin Brown

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

Anybody hear why? Death threats from losing to Michigan?

We all know this is all lawyer written.....

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@fergie23 said:

Let's just put Alabama, Georgia, OSU and Michigan in the CFPs because they appear to be the most talented teams in the country. That is what the committee did, they said FSU winning all of their games is irrelevant because their QB got injured. when Barrett went down and the OSU 3rd string QB took over? It would have been one thing if FSU was a one loss ACC champion but they weren't. They were undefeated.

Robb

Thanks, that answered my question, the qb is injured.

Why didn't they apply that logic to OSU in 2014?
    OSU vs Wisconsin in championship game, OSU won 59-0, Cardale had 260 yds and 3 tds.
    FSU vs L'ville in championship game, FSU won 16-6 and had 55 yds passing.

2014 Ohio State didn't get placed over a undefeated team. Apples and oranges.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2023 8:19PM

@Bullsitter said:
    Hey CoolStanley, you're the smartest football fan on the boards.
    Can you please tell me why FSU is a 13-point underdog to Georgia.
    How can an undefeated #5 team (FSU) be a 13-point underdog to the #6 team (Georgia)?

Michigan and Washington would be significant underdogs to Georgia as well

@fergie23 said:

Robb

Youre right what you do on the field should matter and Bama did more on the field than FSU. Bama had 4 ranked wins in a much much tougher division. If FSU had to play Bama or Georgia they would have had a loss. Georgia and Bama just have the unfortunate path of usually having to go through each other even though they are the two most talented teams in the county.

As far as bowl games we have to wait and see what kind of test they will be. We wont know until we know all the opt outs. For instance LSU will probably be without its Heisman QB and its two first round WRs which clearly wouldnt be a representation of what they were > @fergie23 said:

• Options
    edited December 4, 2023 4:04PM

@Steven59 said:

@Bullsitter said:

Anybody hear why? Death threats from losing to Michigan?

We all know this is all lawyer written.....

They very likely told him they were planning to replace him because he simply isnt that good. Ryan Day wouldnt even commit to starting him in the Bowl game during his interview

Theres already several QBs in the portal that are better to significantly better than him

With Harrison JR going to the draft theyre going to need someone significantly better than him next year

• Options

Do you think it has anything to do with McCord losing money from deals/endorsements/gifts from his poor performance vs Michigan? So now he's going elsewhere to recoup his loses? After all, he probably will never be an NFL caliber starter so the "college money" is more than he will make in the pros. Rumor has it Caleb Williams pulls in around 8 Million as the USC QB.

• Options

Multiple QBs are making millions. Ewers got over a million to be the backup at OSU then got another payday transferring to Texas. It would be smart for McCord to go get a payday from somewhere like Miami (whose QB also entered the portal) rather than stay and fight for a job. He needs to get paid as much as possible while he can in college because there is no NFL for him unless he magically gets much better somewhere else.

I do also think Ryan Day told him that hes not guaranteed any playing time next year. Day has to be feeling the hot seat at this point with his atrocious record against top teams

• Options

Yes, on sports talk radio today it was stated that Day would not answer the question when asked if McCord would be the starter for next season.

• Options

Id be surprised if he ended up at a high end program, but theres a ton of schools like a Duke or pretty much anyone in the B!G west that need QBs and will pay for one.

The portal has shown to be very favorable for QBs and WRs. Teams can just keep reloading those positions through it. Linemen is the one area the portal generally lacks

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭

FSU will get there rear handed to them. 1 because of big let down (being hosed)
    2 Georgia is most likely the better team

I think FSU got robbed ( I don’t even care for them)
    It will hurt all non sec schools in recruiting .
    If I was a member of this FSU team I would highly consider waiting untill the plane takes off for the bowl game and just no go. Imagine if all the kids did that. I feel like the NCAA robbed me why should I go put my body on the line for them to make millions on the bowl game. Leave the networks who are actually calling most of the shots with 4 hours of reruns instead of a football game.

I really don’t know why this bothers me so much I think most people saw it coming. It is just wrong

Martin

• Options

An Auburn friend of mine sent me this.....surprise, surprise, surprise.

• Options

David Eickholt
    @DavidEickholt
    Florida State QB Jordan Travis isn't good enough to be invited to the Heisman Ceremony, but he's good enough to keep his team out of the College Football Playoff.

Absolute. Garbage.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Shannon knew the script in 2017.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Heisman Finalists.

Marvin Harrison JR
    Michael Penix JR
    Jayden Daniels
    Bo Nix

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that Kyle McCord left Ohio State for two reasons: he probably knew he would be challenged and not the starter in 2024 --- and --- he can now choose to play as a starter where can improve his chances of being drafted.

• Options

Missouri +2.........I thought it was +7

• Options
    edited December 5, 2023 8:44AM

@coolstanley said:
    Heisman Finalists.

Marvin Harrison JR
    Michael Penix JR
    Jayden Daniels
    Bo Nix

Please tell me youre just trolling at this point with that order.

Daniels is the only deserving option and anyone that votes against him should lose their vote

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you have a subjective system you will always have disagreement and some bad calls.

If the decision to exclude FSU was based primarily on the loss of the starting qb, I think that's pretty myopic. Seemed to me that the backup qb did pretty well, although I haven't looked at all his starts. Maybe the decision makers didn't want to exclude an SEC team, or maybe it was the blowout last year. Next year, with 12 teams in the mix, things will be worked out on the field and let the scores speak for themselves, much like MLB.

I still think FSU got royally screwed.

• Options
  • Options

Youre right what you do on the field should matter and Bama did more on the field than FSU. Bama had 4 ranked wins in a much much tougher division. If FSU had to play Bama or Georgia they would have had a loss

And you would have said Texas would lose to Alabama if they hadn't already played.

Can we stop pretending Alabama is some sort of great team? They needed a 4th and 31 miracle to beat a team that lost by 21 points to New Mexico St. They barely beat Arkansas. They did nothing to deserve a spot over FSU. Heck FSU beat LSU by 21 and Alabama beat LSU by 14. So common opponent FSU was better.

Robb

• Options

Have mercy, what in the world is going on?
    OSU opened as a 7-point favorite and now Missouri is a 1-point favorite.

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Youre right what you do on the field should matter and Bama did more on the field than FSU. Bama had 4 ranked wins in a much much tougher division. If FSU had to play Bama or Georgia they would have had a loss

And you would have said Texas would lose to Alabama if they hadn't already played.

Can we stop pretending Alabama is some sort of great team? They needed a 4th and 31 miracle to beat a team that lost by 21 points to New Mexico St. They barely beat Arkansas. They did nothing to deserve a spot over FSU. Heck FSU beat LSU by 21 and Alabama beat LSU by 14. So common opponent FSU was better.

Robb

Actually you can probably find it where I said Texas is a very very good team and could be in the playoffs before the year began. They have a potential first round QB, they do have a first round WR and an elite RB before he got hurt, their lines are too, top 5 talent roster in terms of stars rankings. Theyve underachieved in the last several years

Theres no reason to stop pretending that Alabama is some sort of great team because its not pretend, they are a great team. They have one weakness, QB who has gotten better when they figured out

Bama had 4 ranked wins. FSU had 2. FSUs best wins were Louisville and LSU, their 3rd best win was Duke. They lost their star QB and their backups would be practice level against a playoff team. Bamas best wins were Georgia, Ole Miss, LSU, Tennessee.

Yes Bama deserves to be in over FSU and FSU would not have gone undefeated with their schedule. FSU is also not the same team that won the first 11 games once Travis got hurt. FSU fans should be complaining to the ACC commish for voting for this. The ACC, the Pac 2, and the B!G all fought too and nail to block playoff expansion and are the reason why it isnt happening until next year. FSU is in with the 12 team playoff

• Options

@Bullsitter said: Have mercy, what in the world is going on?
    OSU opened as a 7-point favorite and now Missouri is a 1-point favorite

It's probably a reflection of McCord entering the transfer portal and the assumption that he won't play.

• Options

He cant play. He would have to remove himself from the portal

• Options

@Maywood said:
    @Bullsitter said: Have mercy, what in the world is going on?
    OSU opened as a 7-point favorite and now Missouri is a 1-point favorite

It's probably a reflection of McCord entering the transfer portal and the assumption that he won't play.

Alot of their stars arnt playing including Marvin Harrison JR.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

I been hearing Cam Ward is going to the Buckeyes.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Pollack played for georgia... :p

• Options

@BillJones said:
    The Georgia - Alabama game should serve as a lesson for the Philadelphia Eagles. You can’t keep falling behind and expect to come back.

Alabama got a huge break at the end of the first half. The Alabama player didn’t catch a fourth down play pass which was called a catch. Shortly there after Alabama scored which made it 17 to 7 at the half.

Georgia’s national championship season is over. They didn’t play well enough to win.

Here's an update on that play.

“The play was reviewed,” an SEC spokesman told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, responding to an email requesting an explanation. “Every play is reviewed in the Video Center, but some are stopped for further review. The play you referenced was reviewed, and it was determined there was not enough evidence to overturn the call and not necessary to stop the play for further review.”

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2023 2:52PM

@Bullsitter said:

@BillJones said:
    The Georgia - Alabama game should serve as a lesson for the Philadelphia Eagles. You can’t keep falling behind and expect to come back.

Alabama got a huge break at the end of the first half. The Alabama player didn’t catch a fourth down play pass which was called a catch. Shortly there after Alabama scored which made it 17 to 7 at the half.

Georgia’s national championship season is over. They didn’t play well enough to win.

Here's an update on that play.

“The play was reviewed,” an SEC spokesman told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, responding to an email requesting an explanation. “Every play is reviewed in the Video Center, but some are stopped for further review. The play you referenced was reviewed, and it was determined there was not enough evidence to overturn the call and not necessary to stop the play for further review.”

Yep, no further review was required when a potential nation title hangs in the balance. Got it. What else do you expect them to say? They are not going to embarrass their fellow officials with a contrary opinion. They are going to circle the wagons.

The ball was bouncing on the ground when the receiver hit the turf. The powers of college football are smiling down on their favorite, Alabama.

If Alabama runs the table in the national tournament, then the call was right. If Michigan takes them out, it shows they should not have been there over the Florida team.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of this bantering, which is valid, just points to the 12 team playoff system coming next year was the right call.

Doug
  • Options

The call had nothing to do with smiling down on their favorite, they absolutely love Georgia who hadnt lost in almost 3 years just as much. The ball wasnt bouncing on the ground, it moved a little and his arm was under it. Could it have been called incompletely, probably. Was what ever call happened on the field likely to stand, yes

The 4 team playoff never made any sense. When the playoff was created there were 5 power conferences meaning someone was always going to be left out. They were basically just banking on one of the conferences being so bad every year rthat they wouldnt complain. It never should have been any less than 6

• Options

BIG TEN has 4 of the top 5 rated defenses.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited December 7, 2023 2:19AM

Air Force is the 6th ranked defense...

OSU is also the highest rated B!G offense at 36 from the same site if you change total defense to total offense
    https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21

The B!G did not have 4 of the top 5 defenses, but they did have bad offenses

Its just ranking yards per game and yards given up

• Options

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited December 7, 2023 6:45AM

@Applejacks said:
    Bama is too young and inexperienced to pose a threat to Georgia.

Applejacks has left the building, hope he's well.....you out there AJ........ B)

• Options
    edited December 8, 2023 5:21AM

Most new years six bowls by conference.

SEC - 31 BIG TEN 27 ACC 17

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

BCS rankings - if they still existed.

1. Michigan
    2. Washington
    3. Florida State
    4. Texas

Shockingly, nobody agrees with leaving out an undefeated P5 conference champion.
    The interesting question that we have every year is whether the committee will agree with the BCS System. Since the inception of the 4 team format, the top 4 has always agreed with the BCS in terms of which teams were selected. The order may not have always been the same, and in a few cases the matchups differed slightly, but the top 4 were always consistent..until this year.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

I think that with Florida State we are now beating the proverbial dead horse.

• Options

The BCS hasnt been a thing for years. FSU is not a top 3 team without Travis. The BCS rankings had Bama 3rd FSU 4th and left out Texas at 5th

• Options

@Maywood said:
    I think that with Florida State we are now beating the proverbial dead horse.

Will be talked about for years to come. Everybody outside of Bama goggles knows Florida State should be in the playoffs.

Both the AP poll and the coaches poll have Florida State in the top four, and Alabama not ranked in the top 4.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    BTW. Michigan players eat their cereal off of plates because they just can't handle bowls.

I'm a Michigan fan and laughed at this.

• Options
    edited December 9, 2023 6:46AM