Home Sports Talk
Options

2023 college football thread

Comments

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭✭

Mississippi State fired their coach. Might be the first time midseason that both coaches from a game get fired the next day

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great recruiting. Great teams. Great winning percentage. Couldn't beat the team up North.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    Great recruiting. Great teams. Great winning percentage. Couldn't beat the team up North.

You mean they couldnt beat the 'cheetahs.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

• Options

ESECPN

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

National Championships,
    SEC......13 since 2006.... B)
    2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 the state of Alabama owned college football.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    National Championships,
    SEC......13 since 2006.... B)
    2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 the state of Alabama owned college football.

Dem fightin words 😂

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    My fear is that Ryan Day is the second coming of John Cooper.

John Cooper, that's going back in time. I remember him from his ASU coaching days.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Good game so far, 10-10 Miami/Fla State at the half. Except for the call when the FS quarterback was clearly tackled in the endzone for a 2 point safety that the refs called down on the 1/2 yardline - and then it was reviewed and they let the call stand - something fishy on that one.

The replay system is a joke. With the video they had from the pylon cam and no obstacles in the way, IT should have been "confirmed" or "overturned". They had all they needed to see from the video.

Then later, Miami had an obvious targeting that did not confirmed by replay.

Why have replay?

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

When Colorados lockers got robbed during their game at UCLA, turns out it was UCLA recruits on official visits that did it. Generally I would say UCLA doesnt control when their recruits or players do, but UCLA definitely deserves some blame for giving them access to the visiting locker room during the game.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    When Colorados lockers got robbed during their game at UCLA, turns out it was UCLA recruits on official visits that did it. Generally I would say UCLA doesnt control when their recruits or players do, but UCLA definitely deserves some blame for giving them access to the visiting locker room during the game.

Yea that sounds pretty ridiculous if you ask me, what business would they have to be allowed access?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Good game so far, 10-10 Miami/Fla State at the half. Except for the call when the FS quarterback was clearly tackled in the endzone for a 2 point safety that the refs called down on the 1/2 yardline - and then it was reviewed and they let the call stand - something fishy on that one.

That call was criminal, absolutely criminal

I didn't have any stake in the game but that was ridiculous

• Options

UCLA expected to fire Kelly after the USC game

• Options

I find him to come off pretty disingenuous sometimes. He always says that yet hes had his second best 5 star corner on the bench almost all year for various things. Wanna bet that he knows who they are and probably tried to recruit at least one of them?

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fucla steals sunglasses in China.
    Locker room baubles.

Part of the culture?

I prefer Cal culture.

Have a nice day
  • Options

@Basebal21 said:

I find him to come off pretty disingenuous sometimes. He always says that yet hes had his second best 5 star corner on the bench almost all year for various things. Wanna bet that he knows who they are and probably tried to recruit at least one of them?

Nebraska didn’t discipline Lawrence Phillips with missed game time and he ended up hanging himself in jail.

We’re all disingenuous because we all have administered justice and mercy in our lifetime.

When to spare the rod and apply the rod is not always equal.

• Options
    edited November 16, 2023 6:12AM

New BCS rankings

🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

Nebraska didn’t discipline Lawrence Phillips with missed game time and he ended up hanging himself in jail.

We’re all disingenuous because we all have administered justice and mercy in our lifetime.

When to spare the rod and apply the rod is not always equal.

God only sent one perfect man to do his work. All others are flawed.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ole Miss here! We are having a great year and I couldn't be happier. Our two losses - Alabama and Georgia, and a top 10 strength of schedule have made it challenging. We "could have" beaten Alabama that day, but maybe not right now. Georgia played their strongest game of the year against us. We weren't really that weak. They were just so strong, no one would have matched them that day.

Doug
  • Options

@DMWJR said:
    Ole Miss here! We are having a great year and I couldn't be happier. Our two losses - Alabama and Georgia, and a top 10 strength of schedule have made it challenging. We "could have" beaten Alabama that day, but maybe not right now. Georgia played their strongest game of the year against us. We weren't really that weak. They were just so strong, no one would have matched them that day.

Nice team. Great history.
    Go back to the Archie Manning days ?
    Not enough 5 star players at Ole Miss to compare to UGA and Bama.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was born there and lived on campus in married student housing ... but I was under five, lol. Went back in the 80's when I was old enough to get a degree or two.

You are right on the 5 star players. I think Lane is doing great building a program though. OM is working the NIL as good or better than most, and put some serious money in the Manning practice facilities.

Doug
  • Options

Does Arch Manning transfer? I see 4 SEC teams and O$U as possible destinations.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Alfonz24 said:
    Does Arch Manning transfer? I see 4 SEC teams and O$U as possible destinations.

If Ewers comes back to school than one of those 3 if not two of those three QBs will very likely transfer. Its not a lock Ewers would be the starter, they gave everyone a shot to win the job in the spring Ewers was just the best and honestly Archie was terrible in their spring game.

• Options

The B!G must have been close to uncovering more dirt on Michigan. Michigan and Harbaugh have dropped the lawsuit and agreed to accept his suspensions as long as the B!G agreed to drop the investigation which they did.

The NCAA can still take action at any point if they choose

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    The B!G must have been close to uncovering more dirt on Michigan. Michigan and Harbaugh have dropped the lawsuit and agreed to accept his suspensions as long as the B!G agreed to drop the investigation which they did.

It certainly looks like they had something on Michigan in general but the settlement pointedly included a statement from Michigan that they had no evidence against Harbaugh.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

It certainly looks like they had something on Michigan in general but the settlement pointedly included a statement from Michigan that they had no evidence against Harbaugh.

Thats all part of the deal. Theres a reason why they changed their mind last second when the Judge assigned to the case is a former University of Michigan football player, and a former University of Michigan Law School lecturer. They couldnt have had a more favorable judge. Its not in the B!Gs interest to tear down the program though. They probably told them what they had that they hadnt made public yet and that it will all come out in court if they dont just accept the suspension

• Options

Me thinks Harbaugh will be in the NFL when Michigan gets hammered.
    That'll take a year or two, the NCAA moves like a snail.
    Pressure from other BIG10 teams will force the NCAA to get involved, jmo.

• Options

None of this makes any sense to me. Ohio State had to vacate wins because some players got tattoos. And Michigan gets a slap in the wrist for cheating?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    None of this makes any sense to me. Ohio State had to vacate wins because some players got tattoos. And Michigan gets a slap in the wrist for cheating?

The NCAA is still investigating.

• Options

According to college football live the other day, Vegas has Michigan as the favorite to win the NC. I hope they're wrong.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited November 17, 2023 12:55AM

@coolstanley said:
    According to college football live the other day, Vegas has Michigan as the favorite to win the NC. I hope they're wrong.

I hope they're right but I don't really see it. Feels like it's Georgia again.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ? had nothing to do with Brick or Coach Cooper- It was an unsuccessful effort to post a Time Magazine cover from 1932 featuring the Marx Brothers from their film Horsefeathers. For those that have not seen the film, it is comical and involves Huxley College and in part- the efforts to obtain the signals for the opposing team - Darwin College- prior to the big game.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

• Options
    edited November 17, 2023 7:35AM

🏈🏈🏈

Any upsets this weekend?

• Options

@coolstanley said:

Girls are only allowed to get tattoos.
    It’s a little freaky if some of your players are also. To each their own.

• Options

• Options

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

The NCAA is still investigating.

Already leaked that NCAA has evidence that a Michigan booster was funding it all and their linebackers coach tried to destroy the computer evidence of it which lead to him being fired today. Theres very likely a lot more to this but as long as Michigan is in the playoff hunt I doubt the NCAA will do anything this year.

Vacating wins is also not a real penalty and the dumbest thing we do in sports. Everyone has the internet and knows who won those games

• Options

• Options

@Applejacks said:
    🏈🏈🏈

Any upsets this weekend?

Two most likely would be Miami over Louisville and Oregon State over Washington.
    Iowa State might get Texas with Texas missing their QB and now their star RB out for the year, theres a chance Texas gets caught sleeping in that one.
    Kansas beating K State would technically be one but its not really if it happens. Same if Utah beat Arizona
    Georgia needs to be careful at Tennessee, lucky for them its not a night game.
    Clemson is tough to beat at home and they could upset UNC this week
    Illinois over Iowa also possible

Kind of a dangerous week with potential for a lot of teams to be looking ahead to rivalry week next week.

• Options

Could Uncle T be Tom Brady..... :#

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

Could Uncle T be Tom Brady..... :#

Not out of the question, especially since the Patriots did basically the same thing

• Options

Its SEC cupcake week.

How much time/attention has Alabama devoted toward preparing for its opponent tomorrow, Chattanooga? It seems likely that Bama has been able to devote some (perhaps much) of this week’s preparation for Auburn - the Tide’s opponent on 11/25.

The majority of SEC teams (8 out of 14) are taking this approach this weekend. Here is a list of the 8 SEC teams playing a creampuff opponent tomorrow (11/18) and who that team will then face the following Saturday (11/25):

Not sure how the SEC is able to get away with it. They should be forced to play 9 conference games. This week should be more cross division games.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Theres no difference between saving a hard game for later in the year or playing it in the first two weeks. Bama played Texas week 2 while OSU was playing Youngtown State. Not sure how OSU is able to get away with it they should have to be forced to play someone that week.....

OSU has a 2.5 game schedule, Michigan has a 2 game schedule, Bama has the hardest schedule in the country

Last time I checked Bama playing 4 ranked teams already is significantly harder than the 1 ranked team Michigan has played or the 2 that OSU has played but sure complain about Bamas schedule

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Its SEC cupcake week.

How much time/attention has Alabama devoted toward preparing for its opponent tomorrow, Chattanooga? It seems likely that Bama has been able to devote some (perhaps much) of this week’s preparation for Auburn - the Tide’s opponent on 11/25.

The majority of SEC teams (8 out of 14) are taking this approach this weekend. Here is a list of the 8 SEC teams playing a creampuff opponent tomorrow (11/18) and who that team will then face the following Saturday (11/25):

Not sure how the SEC is able to get away with it. They should be forced to play 9 conference games. This week should be more cross division games.

We love to play cupcakes...yum, yum, eat 'em up....621 TOTAL YARDS

• Options
    edited November 17, 2023 7:30PM

You've posted this game about 10 times now. That's what trolls do. Enjoy your covid natty.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited November 17, 2023 7:37PM

Eat um 537 yards

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Ohio State may officially be Rookie University.

The Buckeyes might be the BEST program at producing young NFL talent in all of college football.

The 2016 DROY: Joey Bosa (Chargers)

The 2017 DROY: Marshon Lattimore (Saints)

The 2019 DROY: Nick Bosa (49ers)

The 2020 DROY: Chase Young (Commanders)

The 2022 OROY: Garrett Wilson (Jets)

The soon to be 2023 OROY: CJ Stroud (Texans)

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Posting NFL rookie of the year awards when talking about college football programs might be the biggest grasping at straws Ive ever seen. The only relevance the NFL has to college football talk is how many players get drafted from a specific team or program. What they do once they are in the NFL has nothing to do with their college or college football

Bringing up the NFL doesnt even help anyways it just proves the point again at the next level. The B!G has 288 players in the NFL, the SEC has 367.

Alabama has the most players in the NFL with 57, Georgia is 2nd with 49, OSU is 3rd with 48, LSU is 4th with 43

The SEC has had the most players drafted in the NFL draft for 16 straight years.

But sure I guess a couple individual awards is more important than every other fact

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

Colorado getting spanked so far tonight by Washington State- 28 to 7, 2nd quarter

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"