Home Sports Talk
Options

2023 college football thread

Comments

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭✭

NCAA isnt going to do anything this year and theres no rumors of NCAA doing it this year. Rumor is the B!G might do it but wont be indefinitely which has never been mentioned. Its possible they do something and could just be suspend him for Maryland which wouldnt matter.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Latest update from Chris Balas

Michigan representatives spoke with the Big Ten (and others) for hours Sunday in search of a compromise on the conference’s stance that U-M be punished this year for alleged infractions. Here’s the latest …

As Michigan president Santa Ono indicated Saturday, U-M is asking only one thing — due process and letting the NCAA investigation into alleged illegal on-site scouting and sign stealing play out. Michigan analyst Connor Stalions, the alleged ringleader in the operation, resigned and issued a statement taking full and sole responsibility, but the conference still wants a suspension for head coach Jim Harbaugh.

Sources tell us the meeting Friday between commissioner Tony Petitti and his crew and some in the U-M administration started with Petitti asking Michigan to suspend Harbaugh indefinitely, not the two games reported elsewhere (“they were not prepared to accept two games anyway,” one source privy to the conversation noted). Big Ten sources tell us tonight that Fox Sports higher ups were involved, as well, and obviously interested with the result. They stopped short of calling them “mediators.”

Where it ended after hours of conversation — the same place it started. The Big Ten wasn’t willing to budge and wants Harbaugh suspended for the season (at least), and Michigan isn’t prepared to accept. U-M is prepared to take this to court if necessary and is preparing an injunction for later in the week if the conference tries to suspend Harbaugh for the year.

Michigan would also be hesitant to accept a two-game suspension. If it’s the compromise that allows Harbaugh to coach against Ohio State Nov. 25, however, it could be on the table (“50-50’” one involved told us). But Ono and the administration are currently prepared to fight to allow Harbaugh to coach out the season.

U-M is confident they would be able to get the injunction if it came to that.

Josh Pate hinted today that things will be getting much worse for Michigan come Monday.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think JJ belongs in the Heisman discussion. Lemme get that up front.

It's a little disingenuous to compare raw totals since JJ has played very little 4th quarter time all year. And, fact is, against their two best opponents McCord threw a combined 1 touchdown while leading Ohio to an average of 18.5 points in those games. They won both and that really is all that matters but McCord did not impress in either game.

I think it's really just the eyeball test and failure by comparison. The last several Ohio quarterbacks have dominated at the college level. McCord has not. Not yet anyway.

• Options

Still McCords numbers are similiar even though Ohio State has played better competition.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

I don’t believe anyone here is anti-PAC 10, so I’ll ask this……………..

How is Oregon the highest rated 1 loss team in the AP poll.

They needed a poor to average Texas Tech team to gift them 4 turnovers or they lost that game by 7 or more.

• Options

Anyone ready for a Big 10 laugher ?

7-2 Iowa who will most likely play in the championship game in the Big 10 was outgained by Penn State 397 to 76 yards in a 31-0 loss.

Not only that, but even at 7-2 they’ve been outgained by every single Big 10 opponent they’ve played this year.

They have a horrible offense and yet they’ll be a representative in the Big 10 championship game.

• Options

@Tabe said:

I don't think JJ belongs in the Heisman discussion. Lemme get that up front.

It's a little disingenuous to compare raw totals since JJ has played very little 4th quarter time all year. And, fact is, against their two best opponents McCord threw a combined 1 touchdown while leading Ohio to an average of 18.5 points in those games. They won both and that really is all that matters but McCord did not impress in either game.

I think it's really just the eyeball test and failure by comparison. The last several Ohio quarterbacks have dominated at the college level. McCord has not. Not yet anyway.

Theres nothing remotely special about anything JJ or McCord have done this year. JJ is like 38th in passing yards and McCord is 28th. Unfortunately though either though neither of them have any business in the Heisman discussion if the vote was today they would get votes. Theres too many voters that just vote for the QB on the team with the best record and have turned the award into a team award like the MLB voters that wont vote for a player for MVP unless his team made the playoffs.

If the vote were today it should be Daniels from LSU and its not really even close but he would be penalized for their record by many voters.

• Options

@Applejacks said:
    Anyone ready for a Big 10 laugher ?

7-2 Iowa who will most likely play in the championship game in the Big 10 was outgained by Penn State 397 to 76 yards in a 31-0 loss.

Not only that, but even at 7-2 they’ve been outgained by every single Big 10 opponent they’ve played this year.

They have a horrible offense and yet they’ll be a representative in the Big 10 championship game.

The 10-7 Iowa win at Wrigley over Northwestern what a barn burner lol. The Cubs played 6 home games at Wrigley this year that has a higher score than that

• Options

@Applejacks said:
    I don’t believe anyone here is anti-PAC 10, so I’ll ask this……………..

How is Oregon the highest rated 1 loss team in the AP poll.

They needed a poor to average Texas Tech team to gift them 4 turnovers or they lost that game by 7 or more.

They shouldnt be, but the PAC teams have been over rated the last two years. Theyve been trying to act like USC is some elite team which they just arent and everyone knew they had no defense, they ranked a bad Washington State team this year which Oregon is getting credit for, and the real kicker is theyre treating their win over Colorado as a ranked win. Technically Colorado was ranked at the time but that was from beating a bad TCU and a bad Nebraska along with the Deion hype. Was the perfect storm to highly overrate Colorado.

Oregon should be behind Bama without question. I'm okay if theyre ahead of Texas simply because Ewers is hurt.

The voters are doing weird things this year in the AP poll as well. Does anyone honestly believe that 3 of the best 25 teams in the country are James Madison, Tulane and Liberty? Of course not yet all 3 are ranked at the same time right now

• Options
    edited November 6, 2023 4:23AM

Its not just this year. I dont think Iowa has had an offense since the pre-covid years.

Yet they were still good enough last year to destroy a SEC team in their bowl game 21-0 :D

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Its not just this year. I dont think Iowa has had an offense since the pre-covid years.

Yet they were still good enough last year to destroy a SEC team in their bowl game 21-0 :D

You failed to mention they lost to that exact SEC same team the year before in a bowl. I’m not suprised.

Your posting on this forum is like watching The View. Everything is one sided coming from you Whoopi.

To Iowa’s credit they are 6-6 in bowl games against the SEC the past 40 years. In other words being from the Big 10 and AT LEAST going.500 against the SEC is considered a win.

I won’t mention Ohio State’s bowl record against the SEC top dogs the past 40 years or that may be somewhat embarrassing.

• Options

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

You failed to mention they lost to that exact SEC same team the year before in a bowl. I’m not suprised.

Your posting on this forum is like watching The View. Everything is one sided coming from you Whoopi.

To Iowa’s credit they are 6-6 in bowl games against the SEC the past 40 years. In other words being from the Big 10 and AT LEAST going.500 against the SEC is considered a win.

I won’t mention Ohio State’s bowl record against the SEC top dogs the past 40 years or that may be somewhat embarrassing.

Not to mention Kentucky had no QB for that game. Levis, their RB and their LT all declared for the draft and sat out. Leary had already announced he was transferring to Kentucky which caused their backup to then enter the portal and they played the game with an emergency QB. Even with all that Iowas offense still did basically nothing and the emergency Kentucky QB throwing two picks 6s was the majority of Iowas points.

Its strange to try and brag about a bowl win last year when Mississippi State beat Illinois right after Leach died, Georgia beat OSU, and LSU beat the B!G west champions Perdue by almost 60. Trying to make things conference vs conference when the SEC was 3-1 against the B!G in bowl games last year doesnt make sense to me

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

Not to mention Kentucky had no QB for that game. Levis, their RB and their LT all declared for the draft and sat out. Leary had already announced he was transferring to Kentucky which caused their backup to then enter the portal and they played the game with an emergency QB. Even with all that Iowas offense still did basically nothing and the emergency Kentucky QB throwing two picks 6s was the majority of Iowas points.

Its strange to try and brag about a bowl win last year when Mississippi State beat Illinois right after Leach died, Georgia beat OSU, and LSU beat the B!G west champions Perdue by almost 60. Trying to make things conference vs conference when the SEC was 3-1 against the B!G in bowl games last year doesnt make sense to me

😂😂😂

Check this out.

This guy Maywood keeps sending me private messages which I never respond to.

However this time I may report him for what he says about you.
    It’s your call. Report him or not ?

• Options

So is Maywood coolstanleygoldberg ?

Or is he greensneakers/spaceyhawkdude ?

• Options

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

😂😂😂

Check this out.

Your call on that. Hopefully it hasnt been a consistent obsessive thing. I dont have any insight to the history of the DMs, if its just someone calling me a name being upset whatever. I will admit it is a little creepy he LOLs a lot of my posts the majority of which are in threads that hes never even posted in. Definitely weirder if theyre consistently sending people PMs about me. That gives off a made for tv stalker movie vibes.

In terms of college football its even funnier to call me a SEC homer for actually discussing the sport. SEC fans (other than maybe Vandy for football) basically all hate each other and would be looking for reasons to talk down on rivals. No one has actually figured out the team that was my favorite before just becoming a fan of the sport in general.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

😂😂😂

Check this out.

Your call on that. Hopefully it hasnt been a consistent obsessive thing. I dont have any insight to the history of the DMs, if its just someone calling me a name being upset whatever. I will admit it is a little creepy he LOLs a lot of my posts the majority of which are in threads that hes never even posted in. Definitely weirder if theyre consistently sending people PMs about me. That gives off a made for tv stalker movie vibes.

In terms of college football its even funnier to call me a SEC homer for actually discussing the sport. SEC fans (other than maybe Vandy for football) basically all hate each other and would be looking for reasons to talk down on rivals. No one has actually figured out the team that was my favorite before just becoming a fan of the sport in general.

Yeah. Coolstanley aka Maywood should chill out and not be so obsessive with people who disagree or root for other teams. Laughing at everything you say is childish too.

I’ll report both alts if it continues.
    Your posts are good enough and his are surely Big 10 but that’s fine.

I’ve said Ohio State deserves to be #1 for now. I’m also against Michigan for not playing anyone.

• Options

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

😂😂😂

Check this out.

Yeah. Coolstanley aka Maywood should chill out and not be so obsessive with people who disagree or root for other teams. Laughing at everything you say is childish too.

I’ve said Ohio State deserves to be #1 for now. I’m also against Michigan for not playing anyone.

The most annoying part is that it just disrupts the flow of good conversations or debates when something like McCord is a top 5 QB in the country gets posted. I get people liking their teams and rooting for them but theres a difference between being a fan and clueless

I still think GA deserves to be number one. Beck has stepped it up and they look better offensively than they have in a while. Eventhough it should OSUs offense has struggled against basically every Power team and that ND win is really aging poorly. Multiple teams havent had much trouble scoring on them but OSU did. If a win over number 12 while OSU struggled against Rutgers isnt enough to get GA 1 again we are probably heading for a disaster. 1 and 2 doesnt really make a difference, but it does give insight into the decision making and we have a very possible scenario of Bama, GA, Texas, OSU and or Michigan, Oregon, Washington, FSU all being 1 loss teams at the end of the year. 3 of them already are and all three could easily win their conference

For anyone whose wondering Navy was my favorite team but I dont like some things going on there and theyre irrelevant so outside of the Army Navy game theres no reason to talk about them. I like good football and the SEC has been the best for the last 20 years so they will get talked about more. Bama was king for a decade so yes that leads to more conversation and now GA currently has that crown which also leads to more talk.

• Options
    edited November 6, 2023 7:33AM

I hope you remember 2007 when #2 through #9 all had losses or major upsets that final two weeks of the season. LSU ended up beating OSU 38-24 for the natty.

• Options

@Applejacks said:
    I hope you remember 2007 when #2 through #9 all had losses or major upsets that final two weeks of the season. LSU ended up beating OSU 38-24 for the natty.

Final two weeks major upsets for the playoffs wed really be looking at Bama losing to Auburn, Georgia to GT type things. Florida could beat FSU that final game. Oregon State could beat Washington or Oregon, I think they might win 1 but not both as some examples.

I like the chaos and wish we already had the 12 team playoff. Losing a game is fine, I just dont have any confidence in this committee to pick the right 4 if we end up with 6 or 7 one loss teams which is very possible

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

😂😂😂

Check this out.

Coolstanley isn't Maywood.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

😂😂😂

Check this out.

OK. Thanks, but proof would help.
    Both are active early in the morning posting here and sending PMs at the same time. Pretty convincing to me.

• Options

@Applejacks said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

😂😂😂

Check this out.

Both are active early in the morning posting here and sending PMs at the same time. Pretty convincing to me.

I guess it's just ... In my opinion. 🤷

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

most definitely not the same person

cool wears terry bradshaw undies and maywood sleeps with a jim brown blow-up doll

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alts trashing people in DM to third party is WEAK.
    Needs to stop.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    edited November 7, 2023 2:48AM

@Applejacks said:

Only because it was played in LSU's backyard. But nice try Basebal guy.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited November 7, 2023 3:17AM

@Applejacks said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

😂😂😂

Check this out.

Show me a pm sent by me. I will wait for your response.

You bashed Iowa first, and then got butthurt over my facts.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

cool wears terry bradshaw undies and maywood sleeps with a jim brown blow-up doll

Most definitely?

1- The guy roots for Ohio State.
    2- Jim Brown played in Ohio
    3- Terry played near the border.

They’re the same guy. 😉

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

😂😂😂

Check this out.

Everyone here saw that it was sent by your alt Maywood.

You sent it 10 seconds after a morning post on this thread.

You’ve been exposed.

I know your other alts too in case you run and hide now.
    In the meantime try to act like an adult from now on. You may enjoy it.

• Options

You’ve been exposed.

You stated...'Both are active early in the morning posting here and sending PMs at the same time.''

I'm still waiting for my PM that you claim that I sent you??

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Here are Maywoods PMs to me about Ohio State and the SEC.

/
    /
    /
    /

• Options

Here’s Maywoods (coolstanley) PM
    to me when he posted under Greensneakers (his other alt) in the Curt Schilling/Wakefield thread.

• Options

@coolstanley said:

You’ve been exposed.

You stated...'Both are active early in the morning posting here and sending PMs at the same time.''

Yep, still waiting.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@coolstanley said:

You’ve been exposed.

Yep, still waiting.

I’ll say this slowly.

1- “Both are active early in the morning “……

2- coolstanley (you) via the college football thread

3- Maywood (you) via the PM

4- Both are active early in the morning.

5- within seconds of each other sending messages about how good Ohio State is, how overrated the SEC is, and how you hate baseball, the same way you hated Curt Schilling when Greensneakers (you) started a thread about what a jerk Curt is.

It’s time to confess. You’re caught.
    Stop the lying man and deal with it.

• Options

Both are active early in the morning sending messages.

Maywood via PM
    Coolstanley via the thread

I said it again in case you didn’t understand the first time.

• Options

Show me one post where I bashed Curt Schilling?

Once again, I'll wait.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Who's Greensneakers?

• Options

@Applejacks said:

@galaxy27 said:

Most definitely?

1- The guy roots for Ohio State.
    2- Jim Brown played in Ohio
    3- Terry played near the border.

They’re the same guy. 😉

ok, i tried to help. now i'm going to wash my hands of this magnificent situation and allow these guys to (apple)jack with you indefinitely

this is more fun anyway

• Options

Does @hydrant play a role in any of this? @4x4? @goldenage?@keets?

The possibilities are endless.

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Show me one post where I bashed Curt Schilling?

Once again, I'll wait.

With your alt greensneakers.
    You called him a jerk with the Wakefield story.

Oh how I love this place.
    😂

• Options
    edited November 7, 2023 9:48AM

@thisistheshow said:
    Does @hydrant play a role in any of this? @4x4? @goldenage?@keets?

The possibilities are endless.

Inquiring minds want to know 😉
    Just get the alt detector software for your PC if you know how to get it.
    This place is loaded with alts. 😂

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

We go to Kentucky this week. Coming off that LSU win, I think we might struggle early on.
    Kentucky has had this game circled for a year......#4 to the rescue..... B)

• Options

@Applejacks said:

This place is loaded with alts. 😂

good to see you again 4for4 :D

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    We go to Kentucky this week. Coming off that LSU win, I think we might struggle early on.
    Kentucky has had this game circled for a year......#4 to the rescue..... B)

They should be fine as long as Milroe doesnt turn into a turn over machine. Learys arm has been improving, but its still just not the same as it was before his major shoulder injury last year which has been holding him back

• Options

Playoff rankings

Ohio State (9-0)
    Georgia (9-0)
    Michigan (9-0)
    Florida State (9-0)
    Washington (9-0)
    Oregon (8-1)
    Texas (8-1)
    Alabama (8-1)
    Ole Miss (8-1)
    Penn State (8-1)
    Louisville (8-1)
    Oregon State (7-2)
    Tennessee (7-2)
    Missouri (7-2)
    Oklahoma State (7-2)
    Kansas (7-2)
    Oklahoma (7-2)
    Utah (7-2)
    LSU (6-3)
    Notre Dame (7-3)
    Arizona (6-3)
    Iowa (7-2)
    Tulane (8-1)
    North Carolina (7-2)
    Kansas State (6-3

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Considering the fact that coolstanley felt the need to add a tag line about me being on his ignore list maybe I should be a little more worried about what seems to be an obsession about me. I really didnt want to get into everything going on, but thats definitely concerning with everything else considering this is just supposed to be a thread about talking college football

I've never seen someone do that before and do have the screen shot of it.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Considering the fact that coolstanley felt the need to add a tag line about me being on his ignore list maybe I should be a little more worried about what seems to be an obsession about me. I really didnt want to get into everything going on, but thats definitely concerning with everything else considering this is just supposed to be a thread about talking college football

I've never seen someone do that before and do have the screen shot of it.

I really don't want to say too much but I'll say again, coolstanley and Maywood are not the same.

The ignore list in the sig line was recently popularized by 4for4, and I guess it caught on.

I feel pretty confident in saying you don't have someone stalking you.

What we do have is multiple people with alts, some more than one.

We also have a guy who is passive aggressive with his LOLs while simultaneously not commenting. You arent the only one receiving those.

If none of this makes sense, welcome to the club. 😂

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2023 10:04AM

In short who cares about rogue PM's, Alts, comment less LOL's, ignore lists and any of the other stuff?

Honestly it's confusing to me why anyone would operate with more than one identity and or stalk or harass anyone lol

We are all here to talk sports, argue sports, high five or rub salt in the wounds over the results of games lol

Not a single person here can physically harm anyone, the more guys get into the hypothetical conspiracy stuff the more most of us use as entertainment

Have fun and enjoy sports talk without letting any of it bother you, this isn't real life , and let's be real none of us really know one another and shouldn't get upset over any of this

Getting off my soap box, thanks for listening, carry on as you see fit

• Options

@perkdog said:
    In short who cares about rogue PM's, Alts, comment less LOL's, ignore lists and any of the other stuff?

Honestly it's confusing to me why anyone would operate with more than one identity and or stalk or harass anyone lol

We are all here to talk sports, argue sports, high five or rub salt in the wounds over the results of games lol

Not a single person here can physically harm anyone, the more guys get into the hypothetical conspiracy stuff the more most of us use as entertainment

Have fun and enjoy sports talk without letting any of it bother you, this isn't real life , and let's be real none of us really know one another and shouldn't get upset over any of this

Getting off my soap box, thanks for listening, carry on as you see fit