Home Sports Talk

2023 college football thread

Comments

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

The committee has the same top 3 as my poll :)

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    The undefeated Buckeyes have quality road wins at Notre Dame and Wisconsin, and also beat at the time No. 7 Penn State at home.

The final rankings will be released December 3 after the conference championship games, and those set the four-team playoff field.

Ultimately doesnt matter at this point, but theres some major inconsistencies in what they did which just shows how bad this committee is.l OSU gets rewarded for beating PSU and and overrated ND, yet Michigan doesnt get punished for playing no one so far, FSU doesnt get rewarded for their schedule, Texas is some how behind Oregon eventhough they have the best win of the season etc.

Theres some disaster scenarios potentially this year that could lead to 8 teams or more with the same record and I have zero faith in this committee being able to make a good decision if that happens. Its a shame we cant just go ahead and expand to 12 teams this year

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Steven59 said:
    And here ya go..............

Ohio State No. 1 in first College Football Playoff Rankings

Ignore list -Basebal21

• ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

Can someone please explain to me how Michigan is ahead of Florida State. I don’t see it.

@Steven59 said:
    The undefeated Buckeyes have quality road wins at Notre Dame and Wisconsin, and also beat at the time No. 7 Penn State at home.

The final rankings will be released December 3 after the conference championship games, and those set the four-team playoff field.

I predicted OSU would win by 17 at Wisconsin because I saw it as an easy road win. I would not classify beating Wisconsin as quality.

Isn’t a Top 25 opponent “quality “ ?

edited November 1, 2023 3:17AM

@Applejacks said:

@Steven59 said:

Can someone please explain to me how Michigan is ahead of Florida State. I don’t see it.

Because 3 of the 13 voters are B!G people, and theres at least 3 that probably pay little to no attention to college football. Theres no logic to boost OSU to 1 when all the polls have Georgia 1st by a mile with first place votes and then leave FSU at 4 behind Michigan. Its an incompetent committee that thankfully will have several people replaced next year that proved in their first vote they are going to apply different standards to different teams and have major biases in their voting. Georgia either had to stay at 1 where they should be or Michigan had to drop, they chose to do neither and its a shame they will be deciding this year

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Applejacks said:

@Steven59 said:

I predicted OSU would win by 17 at Wisconsin because I saw it as an easy road win. I would not classify beating Wisconsin as quality.

Wisconsin is definitely just a run of the mill win. Theyre an average team at the moment. Basically every Power conference win is quality if Wisconsin is going to be classified as one. Wisconsin lost to a bad Washington State team and struggled against a bad Rutgers team whose about to lose at least 3 of their next 4 games.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited November 1, 2023 3:36AM

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Steven59 said:

. Georgia either had to stay at 1 where they should be or Michigan had to drop, they chose to do neither and its a shame they will be deciding this year

This is absolutely correct.
    If Ohio State jumps Georgia for playing a tougher schedule up until now then FSU jumps Michigan under that same logic.

Does anyone else see it differently?
    What am I missing?

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Steven59 said:

Wisconsin is definitely just a run of the mill win. Theyre an average team at the moment. Basically every Power conference win is quality if Wisconsin is going to be classified as one. Wisconsin lost to a bad Washington State team and struggled against a bad Rutgers team whose about to lose at least 3 of their next 4 games.

That’s what I saw when looking at their schedule this year.

Wisconsin is really down this year. I really like their program too.

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Steven59 said:

. Georgia either had to stay at 1 where they should be or Michigan had to drop, they chose to do neither and its a shame they will be deciding this year

If Ohio State jumps Georgia for playing a tougher schedule up until now then FSU jumps Michigan under that same logic.

What am I missing?

Outside of an incompetent committee the only thing that makes any sense at all is that they just dont want to have OSU and Michigan at 1 and 4 where they would play each other in the playoffs. Even that makes no sense at all since theres still several weeks left and they will have to play each other anyways which just makes them look even worse if that was the logic

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Steven59 said:

That’s what I saw when looking at their schedule this year.

Wisconsin is really down this year. I really like their program too.

The B!G west in general is really down this year. Iowa would be a very good team if they had any idea what an offense is but they dont. They did announce they will have a new OC next year so it will be interesting to see if their bad offense was all because of the OC who was the coaches son, or if the game has just outgrown their coach and its offensive philosophy that has made them so bad.

Wisconsin has been down for a bit. Fickell did manage to get Cincy into the playoffs one year though they probably shouldnt have been there. If he could recruit like that there theres no reason he shouldnt be able to do the same at Wisconsin which has much better resources. If theyre still at this level next year they might have a problem

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited November 1, 2023 4:15AM

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Steven59 said:

What am I missing?

Outside of an incompetent committee the only thing that makes any sense at all is that they just dont want to have OSU and Michigan at 1 and 4.

It’s not the only thing.

If the committee is corrupt or biased as you say they are (not me), then the reason they keep Michigan at 3 is so if Penn State beats them and remains a 1 loss team then PSU’s SOS looks better against other 1 loss teams when it comes to the final four.

I highly doubt that comes into play, but I’m really perplexed at how the committee came to their conclusion.

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Steven59 said:

What am I missing?

Michigan best win - 6-2 Rutgers. Florida State's best win 6-2 LSU. Both teams will probably have 3 losses after this Saturday. The ESPN announcers on the playoff committee show last night stated that Michigan has been the most dominating team in college football on both sides of the ball. They put Ohio State at #1 because they have the #1 SOR(strength of record) and have a strong SOS. While both Michigan and Georgia have a SOS in the 100's because of their weak schedules up to this point.

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited November 1, 2023 4:29AM

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Steven59 said:

What am I missing?

Michigan best win - 6-2 Rutgers. Florida State's best win 6-2 LSU.

If they are comparing Rutgers to LSU they are out of their mind.
    Look at Rutgers losses this year.
    Look at LSU’s losses this year.
    It’s not even comparable. Rutgers will lose their next four games.

If they are saying Michigan has “better “ wins, then we will just have to hand it to Michigan for having that cream puff early season schedule they made. They’re some smart people in Michigan. They ain’t no dummies.

Here’s Michigan last year before TCU hung a double nickel on them.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

If only the Notre Dame coaches could count to 11 (twice).

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Steven59 said:

What am I missing?

If they are saying Michigan has “better “ wins, then we will just have to hand it to Michigan for having that cream puff early season schedule they made. They’re some smart people in Michigan. They ain’t no dummies.

>

LSU could have several more losses as well. They have no defense. They gave up 55 points to Ole Miss LOL. Michigan hasn't had any close games, while Florida State almost lost to Boston College and Clemson... two bad teams.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Steven59 said:

What am I missing?

Outside of an incompetent committee the only thing that makes any sense at all is that they just dont want to have OSU and Michigan at 1 and 4.

It’s not the only thing.

If the committee is corrupt or biased as you say they are (not me), then the reason they keep Michigan at 3 is so if Penn State beats them and remains a 1 loss team then PSU’s SOS looks better against other 1 loss teams when it comes to the final four.

I highly doubt that comes into play, but I’m really perplexed at how the committee came to their conclusion.

Not necessarily corrupt, just incompetent. Theres simply too many people on it that likely dont pay any attention to college football and less than a third of it is active power 5 ADs. Nevada, Navy, Miami of OH ADs arent paying much attention to power 5 games, theyre worried about their programs. A communications professor at Mercer, the director of community wellness at Virginia State etc.

Even trying to prop up PSU if they were to beat Michigan doesnt make sense. They would still need OSU to catch a loss before playing Michigan and Michigan to beat OSU for it to really matter. Even if PSU beats Michigan and Michigan beats OSU it gets into a weird 3 way tie breaker which I believe PSU would not come out on top in. PSU is basically done as far as the playoffs go or should be anyways barring extra losses to Michigan and OSU

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited November 1, 2023 5:02AM

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Steven59 said:

What am I missing?

>

LSU could have several more losses as well. They have no defense. They gave up 55 points to Ole Miss LOL.

Let’s take your first point.

Ole Miss is 7-1 and ranked 11th in the country. LSU barely lost to them on the road. Ole Miss outscored them 21-7 in the 4th quarter at home in a 55-49 win.

Now tell me about unranked Rutgers losses.

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Steven59 said:

What am I missing?

Here’s Michigan last year before TCU hung a double nickel on them.

Anyone that thinks Rutgers football is comparable to LSU football really just has no credibility. LSU has more talent in their backups than Rutgers starters do. One program has won 3 national titles in the last 20 years the other struggles to win 3 conference games a year. Its like comparing an XFL team to an NFL team.

Michigan definitely does not have better wins than FSU and OSU doesnt have the hardest strength of schedule, South Carolina does this year. Theyve already had UNC, Georgia, Tennesse, Florida, Missouri, A&M. Theyre ranked 1 in basically every SOS rankings. OSU is in the 30s and Georgia isnt that far behind and has 3 ranked teams coming up

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Bullsitter said:

Ohio State deserves to be #1.
    Not their fault ND coaches blew it.

@Bullsitter said:

That wasnt the first game this year ND has done that either

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

@Steven59 said:

What am I missing?

>

Michigan hasn't had any close games, while Florida State almost lost to Boston College and Clemson... two bad teams.

Credit Michigan for their schedule.

@Applejacks said:

@Bullsitter said:

Where did I say OSU didn't deserve it?

@Bullsitter said:

@Applejacks said:

@Bullsitter said:

Where did I say OSU didn't deserve it?

Where did I say you said they didn’t deserve it ?

Well, we have 4 more weeks of good games then the conference championships.
    There could be 4-5 teams vying for spots 3 and 4.

How much influence will ESPN have with "the committee"?

@Bullsitter said:

It will be a great finish for sure.

Will be interesting to see how the Big 10 does now that they are the hunted instead of the hunter.

The pressure is on them to finish the business this year.

The committee thinks they’re better, and they better prove it.

No excuses.

@Applejacks said:

@Bullsitter said:

It will be a great finish for sure.

Will be interesting to see how the Big 10 does now that they are the hunted instead of the hunter.

The pressure is on them to finish the business this year.

The committee thinks they’re better, and they better prove it.

No excuses.

Its really not the B!G, its just two teams, three if you want to consider a long shot PSU. Michigan and OSU are the only two that really matter and they will have to play each other. The conference championship should be an easy win for either. The question for them is just does Michigan beat PSU and OSU or is there some sort of tie breaker if they lose to PSU and beat OSU.

OSU has one real game left against Michigan. PSU has one real game left against Michigan. Michigan plays their first real game on the 11th against PSU and have their only two real games with PSU and OSU left.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited November 2, 2023 1:18AM

There was once upon a time when the committee chose Mississippi State as #1 lol. They had a cupcake non-conference schedule and lost 3 out of their last 4 games. The Committee has improved over the last ten years thankfully.

Guess who finished #1 that year ;)

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited November 1, 2023 11:28PM

Mississippi State was number 1 and should have been when the first poll ever came out. That was one of the Dak Prescott years and they had already beaten the 2nd ranked, 6th ranked, and 8th ranked teams which is why they were number 1.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Al the gripes about Michigan's schedule are valid. Even their opponents with good records aren't good. Won't be able to say that next year though. They just released their 2024 schedule. They've got:

Fresno State
    Texas
    USC
    Oregon
    Washington
    Ohio

That's a quality lineup.

@Tabe said:
    Al the gripes about Michigan's schedule are valid. Even their opponents with good records aren't good. Won't be able to say that next year though. They just released their 2024 schedule. They've got:

Fresno State
    Texas
    USC
    Oregon
    Washington
    Ohio

That's a quality lineup.

Texas is definitely a good one. Oregon can be interesting, I do think USC and Washington will struggle joining the B!G. I dont blame any team in the conference for those games, I just dont see USC or Washington stepping in and being a top player. With the elimination of divisions it will make it even harder for those teams since now Michigan/OSU/PSU can finish 1 2 3 in any order and 2 of the three would be in the championship against each other

Missouri 14 OSU 3

I think Washington will be OK but I can see USC struggling to adjust. USC is soft and has been for awhile and that generally doesn't do well in the B1G.

The committee see

@Tabe said:
    I think Washington will be OK but I can see USC struggling to adjust. USC is soft and has been for awhile and that generally doesn't do well in the B1G.

Agreed. Look up USC's bowl record outside of California.

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited November 3, 2023 8:26AM

Key games this Saturday

Missouri @ Georgia

1 Ohio State @ Rutgers

LSU @ Alabama
    Kansas State @ Texas
    Oklahoma State @ Oklahoma
    Washington @ USC

Ignore list -Basebal21

Rutgers football is not a key game by any measure

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Tabe said:

Washington could and probably should be fine against the Rutgers/Indiana/Northwestern/Perdue type teams, but they have a lot of questions. Players can still flip and there is the portal, but Washingtons recruiting class isnt in the top 40, they along withe USC and Oregon will all have new QBs going in, and the travel schedules will be brutal.

Barring some big surprises in the transfer portal I could see Washington as a middle of the road team but nothing special. Oregon is the best suited it would appear to come in and do something. As of now they have a top 10 recruiting class which they havent had in years,

USC as long as Reily keeps the same DC he had at Oklahoma its hard to take them as serious contenders for anything.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

In reality all games are "Key Games" when you are going for a National Championship. A loss this late in the season may very well get you booted from the top 4, never to return.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

@Steven59 said:

@Basebal21 said:

In reality all games are "Key Games" when you are going for a National Championship. A loss this late in the season may very well get you booted from the top 4, never to return.

The other side to it though is that if you cant beat a team where your backups are better than their starters you never deserved to be in the top 4 to begin with. If OSU loses to Rutgers they should just leave Day in NJ and start looking for a new coach immediately

I wouldnt classify every ranked game as key outside of the sense that yea you should beat teams youre miles better than. I wouldnt even call a lot of them interesting. ND vs Clemson or Arizona vs UCLA are far more interesting with serious upset potential that does have meaning as well.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited November 3, 2023 4:38PM

Exactly. At this point in the season(November) any game that involves the #1 team in the land is a key game. And Rutgers has a good record at 6-2.

Sounds like the basebal dude still spouting his usual Big ten hatred nonsense.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@Basebal21 said:

The other side to it though is that if you cant beat a team where your backups are better than their starters you never deserved to be in the top 4 to begin with. If OSU loses to Rutgers they should just leave Day in NJ and start looking for a new coach immediately

I expect Ohio to win handily but they HAVE scored 24 or fewer points in over half of their games again FBS opponents. That's... bad.

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

I expect Ohio to win handily but they HAVE scored 24 or fewer points in over half of their games again FBS opponents. That's... bad.

in 2002 when they won the natty, they scored 24 or less in 6 games. Its all about scoring more than your opponents.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

in 2002 when they won the natty, they scored 24 or less in 6 games. Its all about scoring more than your opponents.

It's still bad. And a whole lot has changed in the last 20 years.

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

Not bad when the defense is giving up 3.94 yards a play - best in the country.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

Ohio State has a fantastic Big 10 defense.

That is until they played Georgia last year and gave up 9 yards per play.

I think people here aren’t giving 6-2 Rutgers a fair shake. Greg Schiano is a great coach, has landed a few 4 stars and could have the game tied at halftime.

I’m not saying Rutgers is there “yet”, but don’t be surprised if they start having closer games with the big Top 10 teams in years to come.

OSU 27
    Rutgers 17

@coolstanley said:
    Key games this Saturday

Missouri @ Georgia

1 Ohio State @ Rutgers

LSU @ Alabama
    Kansas State @ Texas
    Oklahoma State @ Oklahoma
    Washington @ USC

UGA 34-20
    Bama 31-21
    Texas 44-28
    OSU 27-17
    OU 45-38
    Washington 41-38

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

Its definitely bad, and definitely an issue for OSU. Rutgers couldnt do anything against Michigan though and unless McCord just starts handing pick 6s out like candy I dont expect this to be any different. The talent gap is just too great

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

Ohio State has a fantastic Big 10 defense.

That is until they played Georgia last year and gave up 9 yards per play.

I think people here aren’t giving 6-2 Rutgers a fair shake. Greg Schiano is a great coach, has landed a few 4 stars and could have the game tied at halftime.

I’m not saying Rutgers is there “yet”, but don’t be surprised if they start having closer games with the big Top 10 teams in years to come.

OSU 27
    Rutgers 17

I honestly wouldnt expect much to change, their recruiting just isnt there. This years class was ranked in the 50s and had 0 4 stars and 0 5 stars, they lost a 4 star to the transfer portal and brought in 0 4/5 stars from it, they currently only have 2 four stars committed in next years class and no 5 stars. They need two very strong back to back classes to really start having competitive games with the top

Its not entirely Schianos fault in terms of recruiting and the transfer portal. Rutgers is the only Power school that still have a vaccine mandate which limits which players he can even attempt to recruit. It also makes the recruiting process awkward when you have to ask if they are or would be willing to be. Rutgers doesnt make any exceptions. Just before last years season he lost several players including two 4 stars when their final attempt to get a waiver from the school failed so they left before they were going to get kicked out.

The other thing is the B!Gs expansion is also going to make it harder to recruit there. Its one thing to deal with cross country flights playing at a big program like Oregon or USC, its another to get on a 6 hour flight to go lose at Oregon. The travel doesnt impact the top schools recruiting, but it easily could be a factor if someone is picking between say Rutgers and Wake Forrest

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

Its definitely bad, and definitely an issue for OSU. Rutgers couldnt do anything against Michigan though

on third down.

Rutgers averaged 5.8 yards per to Michigan’s 6.8

Michigan killed them on 3rd and 4th down conversion.

Rutgers same problem against PSU.

They don’t have the skill players to get huge plays in key moments, but their team can hang due to good discipline and decent quality.

1st 4 years bad and then great.
    NFL
    1st 3 years bad and now good again.

edited November 4, 2023 9:37AM

This could be a trap game for Ohio State.
    1- Satisfaction of being ranked #1
    2- Saw how bad Michigan beat RU
    3- 32 ppg to 28 ppg per game

Or maybe not. We shall see.
    McCord is playing in front of a lot of family and friends today so he may light it up.