Home Sports Talk
Options

2023 college football thread

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@stevek said:
    One play late in the third quarter, Ohio State had to punt out of their end zone. What happens? A 71 yard punt to get them out of trouble. 71 friggin yards punt! Are you kidding me? That simply cannot be allowed to happen in that situation of a close, low scoring game.

The punt went over the returners head and took a great OSU roll.

Also known as hiss poor coaching. 😒

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@stevek said:
    One play late in the third quarter, Ohio State had to punt out of their end zone. What happens? A 71 yard punt to get them out of trouble. 71 friggin yards punt! Are you kidding me? That simply cannot be allowed to happen in that situation of a close, low scoring game.

The punt went over the returners head and took a great OSU roll.

It was like 2 or 3 yards over his head, he acted like he was standing on the 10 yard line and came forward instead of fair catching it eventhough the Aussie rugby punters balls basically always roll forward. It was a big Penn State mistake

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's to hoping it's a nice hot night in Florida tonight. Usually the cameramen always scan the Fla State college girls in the stands B)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

i know next to nothing about Tennessee, but i'm watching this game against Alabama and their QB looks like he possesses all the tools. never even heard of this Milton kid before. he's mobile, he has a rifle, and i just looked him up and he's 6'5", 235. watch this dime he dropped and tell me he can't play on Sundays. and what a freaking catch.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=38712221

• Options
    edited October 21, 2023 3:02PM

@galaxy27 said:
    i know next to nothing about Tennessee, but i'm watching this game against Alabama and their QB looks like he possesses all the tools. never even heard of this Milton kid before. he's mobile, he has a rifle, and i just looked him up and he's 6'5", 235. watch this dime he dropped and tell me he can't play on Sundays. and what a freaking catch.

He has one of if not the strongest arms in college football and can run. His arm would actually be one of the stronger ones in the NFL. Hes been around for years and has lost his starting role at more than one school. He started at Michigan for a year and got benched then was supposed to start at Tennessee last year but Hooker beat him out in camp. He ended up playing some when Hooker got hurt.

Hes has accuracy issues. If he could ever fix his accuracy issues (which he will do for some games) full time he would be a top QB. Hes got elite tools aside from accuracy

• Options

I don't get it - these college coaches going for it on 4th down and it's a handoff straight up the middle into the pile of linemen and gain nothing instead of going around end.

• Options

Gives Alabama a heck of a chance to take the lead...............

• Options

So long Tennessee - was nice seeing you in the top 25 this year!
    Alabama scores 27 points in a row........

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will be Georgia vs Bama for the SEC title once again.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

17 losing to 11 if they do lose shouldnt drop them from the top 25. Especially not when 14 and 18 have to play today

• Options

Iowa also lost too so thats one that will drop out

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    17 losing to 11 if they do lose shouldnt drop them from the top 25. Especially not when 14 and 18 have to play today

Ya gotta give Bama those ''quality'' wins.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited October 21, 2023 4:53PM

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

Ya gotta give Bama those ''quality'' wins.

You said Indiana was a quality win for OSU............

Anyone that knows anything about football would know that 17 losing to 11 wont drop them out especially when 24 just lost and 14 and 18 one of them has to lose. You are way to obsessed with making everything SEC negative like theres some PTSD there from what they have done to other teams for the last two decades.

If you would ever like to objectively discuss something using stats, facts, player ratings, recruiting, transfer classes etc let me know

• Options

I never said Indiana was a quality win. They were never ranked.

But anyone who follows football outside of sec homies, knows most of the sec teams are usually overranked.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited October 21, 2023 6:34PM

@coolstanley said:
    I never said Indiana was a quality win. They were never ranked.

But anyone who follows football outside of sec homies, knows most of the sec teams are usually overranked.

Just saying people dont know what theyre talking about or calling them a "sec homies" is not talking football. Would you like to discuses the talent levels of teams? Could be the ACC, PAC 12, BIG 12 if you want.

• Options

And now #10 NC just lost

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

True - especially if LSU is ranked 19th at 5-2

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@Basebal21 said:

True - especially if LSU is ranked 19th at 5-2

Air force is 7-0 should they be in the top 5? Wins and losses arent all equal

• Options

C'mon man, you know what I meant.

• Options
    edited October 21, 2023 9:29PM

@Steven59 said:
    C'mon man, you know what I meant.

There were connotations both ways. My fault if it was misinterpreted

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

He's not good. Doesn't process the field well and is inaccurate. This is his 6th season and he plays like a sophomore.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/after-another-deflating-loss-its-fair-to-wonder-if-james-franklin-and-penn-state-have-hit-their-ceiling-222344622.html

After another deflating loss, it's fair to wonder if James Franklin and Penn State have hit their ceiling

Bottom line - Joe Paterno was a winner, and this guy ain't.

But they won't fire him. Franklin will be there for probably the next ten years, doing the same losing chit, year after year.

Franklin gets away with his coaching incompetence against woefully pathetic football teams, and beats up on them. However his lack of coaching skill always comes to the surface against top rated opponents.

Oh well, it is what it is, and there's nothing i can do about it. But I'll save this post so next season I can just paste it in, rather than having to type it again, because the same thing will happen again. 😒

• Options
    ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

Tough sledding for a lot of teams this year. Lots yet to play for.

• Options

My top ten after 7 weeks.

Ohio State
    Georgia
    Michigan
    Washington
    Oklahoma
    Florida State
    Oregon
    Penn State
    Utah
    Texas

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@stevek said:
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/after-another-deflating-loss-its-fair-to-wonder-if-james-franklin-and-penn-state-have-hit-their-ceiling-222344622.html

After another deflating loss, it's fair to wonder if James Franklin and Penn State have hit their ceiling

Bottom line - Joe Paterno was a winner, and this guy ain't.

But they won't fire him. Franklin will be there for probably the next ten years, doing the same losing chit, year after year.

Franklin gets away with his coaching incompetence against woefully pathetic football teams, and beats up on them. However his lack of coaching skill always comes to the surface against top rated opponents.

Oh well, it is what it is, and there's nothing i can do about it. But I'll save this post so next season I can just paste it in, rather than having to type it again, because the same thing will happen again. 😒

I'm a huge fan of the playoff expansion to 12 teams and this year is really the perfect year to show why it is needed, but unfortunatly for PSU fans that helps Franklins job security. He can make a 12 team playoff and lose in the first round, he cant make a 4 team one as hes shown year after year he very rarely wins big games.

Getting rid of divisions next year could hurt him a bit as they wont be shielded anymore with the excuse of finishing where they do because Michigan and OSU are above them in the division. USC and UCLA will struggle when they join, Oregon and Washington might be able to compete first year, but none of them will be a new juggernaut

Sadly you probably will be posting this same thing year after year lol

• Options

Franklin will get another opportunity to win a big game in a few weeks when they play Michigan in Happy Valley.

As of today, Ohio State has the best resume in the country with wins over ND and Penn State.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

I’m sure many people can’t stand the SEC anymore, and I can’t believe this either, but in a down year this year they still have the best bunch in the Top 25 so far.

• Options

To the two Kyle McCord bashers on here, he has the 5th highest QBR in the country. Ahead of Bo Nix, Caleb Williams, and Micheal Penix JR.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Kyle McCord is a junior at Ohio State.

Theres been two games they had any chance of losing. ND and PSU. He was even atrocious against Indiana who is just terrible

Against ND
    240 Yards 0 TDs

Against PSU
    286 yards 1 TD

Sure if OSU can play the rest of the year and the playoffs against Youngstown State and Western Kentucky or Purdue he will be elite, but he has been average at best so far against teams that are better than OSUs backups

• Options

So 526 yards combined for two games against good teams is bad? LOL

Give it up basebal guy. You have no case. McCord is 5th in the nation. He hasn't thrown an interception since the first game of the year.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

McCord isnt even a top 20 QB and very likely isnt even a top 30, hes no where close to 5th in the nation

Hes 20th for yards, 19th for rating, tied with 10 other people for 45th for TDs with 12 as the OSU QB who has one of the best WR rooms in the country and more than one lineman that will end up getting drafted in the 1st or 2nd round when they become eligible etc etc etc. He wont get drafted and heres the biggest kicker of them all, over half of the stats he actually does have came against Perdue, Younstown State and Western Kentucky. If you honestly think hes a top 5 QB that has draft aspirations then it seems that you dont actually watch things and are just looking to say anything OSU is the best

• Options

I just proved he's top 5. Time to put you on the ignore list. Almost every post that you make is complete nonsense. Go troll someone else.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    I just proved he's top 5. Time to put you on the ignore list. Almost every post that you make is complete nonsense. Go troll someone else.

My fault, didnt realize actual stats are complete nonsense

• Options

It’s a little bit of both honestly.

Look at JJ McCarthy at #1.
    Then look at the first three teams he played.

It all will work itself out by November.
    We will see which QB gets it done when it counts.

• Options
    edited October 26, 2023 9:05AM

@coolstanley said:

He is top 5. He’s a good QB.
    He’s got to be huge in Ann Arbor.
    I looked at Wisconsins schedule and OSU should win by 17 Saturday.

• Options
    edited October 27, 2023 3:36PM

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

He is top 5. He’s a good QB.
    He’s got to be huge in Ann Arbor.
    I looked at Wisconsins schedule and OSU should win by 17 Saturday.

Could be trap game for the Buckeyes

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Key games this Saturday

Georgia @ Florida
    Oregon @ Utah
    Duke @ Louisville
    Ohio State @ Wisconsin

Michigan and Alabama have a bye week.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

Michigan’s SOS is 75th in the nation.
    OSU is 37th.

7 of the top 14 SOS in the country are in the SEC.

Oregon is 68th in the nation.

I’m usually not anti-anybody but I’m hoping for someone to take down Michigan. Their SOS is a reflection of their athletic department having no interest in scheduling tough out of conference teams. It’s not the players fault so I keep that in mind also.

• Options

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

OSU is 37th.

I’m usually not anti-anybody but I’m hoping for someone to take down Michigan. Their SOS is a reflection of their athletic department having no interest in scheduling tough out of conference teams. It’s not the players fault so I keep that in mind also.

Ohio State is #3 SOS according to this source. SOS is overrated lol. Sec teams are always overranked.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited October 28, 2023 3:28AM

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

OSU is 37th.

Ohio State is #3 SOS according to this source. SOS is overrated lol. Sec teams are always overranked.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

4-14 since 2001 ? Look at the points other teams are hanging on them.

• Options

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

OSU is 37th.

Theres been simply no reason for Michigan to ever play a real schedule if the voters arent going to punish them for it which they havent to this point. Most teams have at least one big out of conference game but Michigan usually doesnt. Starting next year they will though. They play Texas in 2024 and 2027, and Oklahoma in 2025 and 2026.

• Options

Kansas VS Oklahoma game postponed because of lightning. All the players have been removed from the field but yet the fans remained in the stands.

• Options

Crap, Kansas just had a TD called back for offensive holding then missed a 25 yard fg. But still leads by 6

• Options

And down goes Oklahoma 🤭

• Options
    edited October 28, 2023 2:20PM

Georgia has yet to play any good teams. They have a weaker schedule than Michigan. FACT!!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Georgia has yet to play any good teams. They have a weaker schedule than Michigan.

At this point Its getting hard to tell if youre just trolling or just really have no idea about college football.

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    And down goes Oklahoma 🤭

Theyre probably still in the playoffs if they win out but that was a bad one to lose their margin of error having to go to Oklahoma State next week and at BYU two weeks later. I still like their chances of winning out and having a 1 loss Texas and 1 loss Oklahoma meet for the Big 12 Championship

• Options

Prime Time is on tonight again. Colorado VS UCLA on at 8 on Ohio's channel 5, don't know if it's nationwide though. So I'm sure I will check it out while watching the Buckeyes game.

• Options

How big actually is Shadur Sanders? Does anybody realistically think he has any future in the NFL

• Options

And McCord continues to throw into tight coverage on his receivers accounting for most of his incopletions.