Home Sports Talk
Options

2023 college football thread

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

HORRIBLE play calling dooms Clemson...................

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

TOUCHDOWN..........

• Options

TOUCHDOWN..............

• Options

TOUCHDOWN.........

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭

Saban might have lost his fastball if he think Milroe is the answer over Simpson.

Oregon dont worry about being cute with stuff just bully them on the lines like your roster can easily do

• Options

TOUCHDOWN...........

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2023 2:04PM

I love Prime and what he's doing with the CU program, but it was completely unrealistic to think that he could turn a 1-win team into one that could hang with college football's elite in the span of a year.

the man has done a remarkable job and the future is very bright for the Buffs, but truthfully they needed to be boat raced to quell the insane amount of hype surrounding the program. too much, too soon.

USC will have their way with them next week, then the level of competition will come back to them with a winnable game against Arizona St.

• Options

TOUCHDOWN.........Statement made!

• Options

and as I said earlier this week, they are playing the worst possible team with all of the overblown hype

Oregon will try to hang 70 on them

• Options

Hopefully they do hang 70 or more on them. Their schedule was set up to have them as over hyped as possible. It would be nice to get things back to discussing college football and not just Deion and Colorado half the time.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the hype is officially over, this is no longer a game, it's a mugging. I don't think Colorado will ever really be able to hang with the top programs in the country, they can't compete with the recruiting of the big dogs in college football like Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, etc. I think Deion will have some success there, but to expect a national championship caliber program is a bit too much to expect imo.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Penn State plays tonight at 7:30 est.

We are a heavy favorite and this one could get very ugly.

Penn State coasts to 4-0.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Well, the hype is officially over, this is no longer a game, it's a mugging. I don't think Colorado will ever really be able to hang with the top programs in the country, they can't compete with the recruiting of the big dogs in college football like Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, etc. I think Deion will have some success there, but to expect a national championship caliber program is a bit too much to expect imo.

Colorado has money and good facilities, the problem will be is that hes probably going to leave for a bigger program in 2 or 3 years if he does build a powerhouse there especially since his sons will no longer be there. Hes going to need to recruit much better on the lines though and its up to the boosters if they want to spend or not. His celebrity friends are worth billions when you combine their money, they could easily do it if they wanted. Its a little telling that more money didnt come in for the portal

• Options
    edited September 23, 2023 4:06PM

the Ducks called off the dogs after 3. i thought they'd go full throttle for a little bit longer. lol

i wouldn't overreact to this loss, just as i personally didn't overreact to the first 3 wins. remember, one win last year. total overhaul in the offseason. baby steps. Rome wasn't built in a day. Deion admitted himself that he's 7 or 8 "dawgs" away from really making some noise, and i suspect he'll get many -- if not all -- of them in the next year or two.

if someone would have said prior to the season, "Colorado will go 3-1 thru 4," eyebrows still would have been raised

• Options

Oh boy, I just don't trust Ohio State's QB in this game against the Irish D

• Options

Wow, I don't know how they did it but they did it. OSU wins in South Bend

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

He came through big time with some clutch throws. Great win for the Buckeyes in a tough environment.

Tough loss for Clemson. They had FSU beat. Should've made that FG.

Coolstanleys current top ten

1. Ohio State
    2. Georgia
    3. Michigan
    4. Penn State
    5. Texas
    6. Florida State
    7. Oregon
    8. Washington
    9. Utah
    10. USC

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Wow, I don't know how they did it but they did it. OSU wins in South Bend

ND choked. Dropped a pick then went prevent at the end giving up a couple huge plays

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Steven59 said:

He came through big time with some clutch throws. Great win for the Buckeyes in a tough environment.

1. Ohio State
    2. Georgia
    3. Michigan
    4. Penn State
    5. Texas
    6. Florida State
    7. Oregon
    8. Washington
    9. Utah
    10. USC

No chance OSU is #1. Top 4 arent changing. OSU may jump to 5 over USC. Theres a better chance Penn State jumps to 5 and OSU stays put. Top 4 all won and only FSU was close and Clemson is still considered a quality win especially on the road

• Options
    edited September 23, 2023 9:39PM

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Steven59 said:

1. Ohio State
    2. Georgia
    3. Michigan
    4. Penn State
    5. Texas
    6. Florida State
    7. Oregon
    8. Washington
    9. Utah
    10. USC

No chance OSU is #1. Top 4 arent changing. OSU may jump to 5 over USC. Theres a better chance Penn State jumps to 5 and OSU stays put. Top 4 all won and only FSU was close and Clemson is still considered a quality win especially on the road

I dont care what the polls say. Buckeyes are currently #4 in the coaches poll and should move up. They always hate the BIG 10 teams. Its my top ten. The only poll that matters :p
    Buckeyes have one of the best wins of the season. That's why I have them at #1. Georgia and Michigan has played all cupcakes to this point

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Clemson now has 2 losses and will be unranked. A quality win, but nothing special. Clemson choked. They had FSU beat. They win the game if they hit that easy FG late in the 4th quarter.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Steven59 said:

1. Ohio State
    2. Georgia
    3. Michigan
    4. Penn State
    5. Texas
    6. Florida State
    7. Oregon
    8. Washington
    9. Utah
    10. USC

I dont care what the polls say. Buckeyes are currently #4 in the coaches poll and should move up. They always hate the BIG 10 teams. Its my top ten. The only poll that matters :p
    Buckeyes have one of the best wins of the season. That's why I have them at #1. Georgia and Michigan has played all cupcakes to this point

Coaches poll doesnt matter. Georgie is a two time defending champion that is undefeated, until they lose they are number 1.

OSU didnt look good against ND, they have a QB problem same way Bama and Tennessee has at the moment. Maybe he gets better but he hasnt proved a thing yet. The B1G west is bad but PSU blowing out Iowa was more impressive than a miracle win against ND

They dont always hate the B1G teams either, they give them the benefit of the doubt in the polls for Michigan and OSU.

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Clemson now has 2 losses and will be unranked. A quality win, but nothing special. Clemson choked. They had FSU beat. They win the game if they hit that easy FG late in the 4th quarter.

Clemson will likely beat ND and probably wont be that close. They have their issues part of which is Dabo refusing to use the portal, but after seeing tonight ND isnt going to walk into Clemson and have a fun time barring injuries

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Steven59 said:

1. Ohio State
    2. Georgia
    3. Michigan
    4. Penn State
    5. Texas
    6. Florida State
    7. Oregon
    8. Washington
    9. Utah
    10. USC

Coaches poll doesnt matter. Georgie is a two time defending champion that is undefeated, until they lose they are number 1.

OSU didnt look good against ND, they have a QB problem same way Bama and Tennessee has at the moment. Maybe he gets better but he hasnt proved a thing yet. The B1G west is bad but PSU blowing out Iowa was more impressive than a miracle win against ND

They dont always hate the B1G teams either, they give them the benefit of the doubt in the polls for Michigan and OSU.

You want to know what a true Ohio State hater post looks like folks..... This is it :D

Absolute zero props to the winning team. Ohio State outplayed ND. They had the lead the whole game until 8 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Quarterback played great. Zero interceptions and came through in the clutch.

Almost everything you said here is complete nonsense. The only poll that matters is the playoff committee poll. AP poll doesnt matter.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited September 23, 2023 10:09PM

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Steven59 said:

1. Ohio State
    2. Georgia
    3. Michigan
    4. Penn State
    5. Texas
    6. Florida State
    7. Oregon
    8. Washington
    9. Utah
    10. USC

You want to know what a true Ohio State hater post looks like folks..... This is it :D

Absolute zero props to the winning team. Ohio State outplayed ND. They had the lead the whole game until 8 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Quarterback played great. Zero interceptions and came through in the clutch.

Almost everything you said here is complete nonsense. The only poll that matters is the playoff committee poll. AP poll doesnt matter.

They won 17-14 last second with ND dropping a pick and going prevent with a minute left. McCord threw for 240 yards with 0 Tds and was 21 for 37.

I do get a good laugh though just saying that talking about games with knowledge is hating and complete nonsense

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Steven59 said:

1. Ohio State
    2. Georgia
    3. Michigan
    4. Penn State
    5. Texas
    6. Florida State
    7. Oregon
    8. Washington
    9. Utah
    10. USC

They won 17-14 last second with ND dropping a pick and going prevent with a minute left. McCord threw for 240 yards with 0 Tds and was 21 for 37.

I do get a good laugh though just saying that talking about games with knowledge is hating and complete nonsense

Because you don't speak the truth. Did you actually watch the game? Ohio State dropped a pick late in the 4th quarter as well. 21 for 37 is bad? He threw for more yards tonight than one of the best QB's in the country. Not to mention, his clutch throw to the one yard line on 3rd and 19 that set up the winning TD.

And everyone knows the BIG Ten never gets the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the polls. In 2015, Ohio State was the defending National Champions riding on a 23 game win streak and dropped in the polls when they were 10-0 on the season.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

Clemson will likely beat ND and probably wont be that close. They have their issues part of which is Dabo refusing to use the portal, but after seeing tonight ND isnt going to walk into Clemson and have a fun time barring injuries

I dont see any evidence that Clemson is going to beat ND. ND beat clemson last year 35-14, and ND is better this year.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Steven59 said:

1. Ohio State
    2. Georgia
    3. Michigan
    4. Penn State
    5. Texas
    6. Florida State
    7. Oregon
    8. Washington
    9. Utah
    10. USC

Because you don't speak the truth. Did you actually watch the game? Ohio State dropped a pick late in the 4th quarter as well. 21 for 37 is bad? He threw for more yards tonight than one of the best QB's in the country. Not to mention, his clutch throw to the one yard line on 3rd and 19 that set up the winning TD.

And everyone knows the BIG Ten never gets the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the polls. In 2015, Ohio State was the defending National Champions riding on a 23 game win streak and dropped in the polls when they were 10-0 on the season.

Ohio State was number 1 through their 9th game in 2015. They dropped to 2 the next week and lost which is what dropped them.

I did watch the game and they did not look good. Yes McCord is an issue if you leave the fandom out of it, maybe he gets good but hes an issue right now. ND was in prevent for that last throw and thats on ND. As soon as they lined up you had a sense they were going to lose.

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

I dont see any evidence that Clemson is going to beat ND. ND beat clemson last year 35-14, and ND is better this year.

The games at Clemson, and Clemson isnt as bad as their record says as funny as it is to mock Dabo. ND has issues too with that play calling. Id take Clemson at this point in that game

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Steven59 said:

1. Ohio State
    2. Georgia
    3. Michigan
    4. Penn State
    5. Texas
    6. Florida State
    7. Oregon
    8. Washington
    9. Utah
    10. USC

Ohio State was number 1 through their 9th game in 2015. They dropped to 2 the next week and lost which is what dropped them.

Wrong. They dropped before they lost. They dropped even though they were riding on a 23 game win streak lol. I guess a 25 point win wasnt good enough for the southern voters.

http://www.collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=1099

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

I didn’t see that beat down coming for CU. Yeah I thought they would give up 50, but I didn’t think they couldn’t hang 35 on them.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is the best team that Coach Franklin has put together since he came to Penn State.

Franklin has had a problem though winning big games against the top teams, in games where it appeared before the game that Penn State would be competitive. Not every time, but most of the time. Whereby Joe Paterno many times got his teams to step up and win big games against top teams.

We shall see if Franklin can get over the hump this season and finally win a NCAA championship. Same as Andy Reid got over the hump and finally won a Super Bowl.

• Options

@stevek said:
    I think this is the best team that Coach Franklin has put together since he came to Penn State.

Franklin has had a problem though winning big games against the top teams, in games where it appeared before the game that Penn State would be competitive. Not every time, but most of the time. Whereby Joe Paterno many times got his teams to step up and win big games against top teams.

We shall see if Franklin can get over the hump this season and finally win a NCAA championship. Same as Andy Reid got over the hump and finally won a Super Bowl.

Agree. It’s time for PSU to start making some noise again.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options

@stevek said:

Penn State is tough. They can probably beat any PAC 12 team as they proved it last year when they destroyed Utah. This year, I think they beat Michigan, but lose to Ohio State(road game).

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

USC is probably over-ranked. They struggled against Arizona State last night.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

We haven’t seen anything like this in a long time. A lot of people north and west of Texas must be thrilled.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Steven59 said:

1. Ohio State
    2. Georgia
    3. Michigan
    4. Penn State
    5. Texas
    6. Florida State
    7. Oregon
    8. Washington
    9. Utah
    10. USC

Wrong. They dropped before they lost. They dropped even though they were riding on a 23 game win streak lol. I guess a 25 point win wasnt good enough for the southern voters.

http://www.collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=1099

So you repeated what I said but I was wrong?

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

The funniest part is they sent out 10, a timeout was called and 10 went again. They played the last couple plays with 10. ND absolutely blew that game that they should have won. ND deserved to lose with how they mismanaged the last minute so badly

• Options

@stevek said:

I'm not a believer in Franklin, but Penn State can absolutely beat OSU. Ohio State has a serious QB problem at this point. We're 4 games into the season, he has arguably the best WR in the country, an elite WR room, and his stats are basically from games against Youngstown State and Western Kentucky.

McCord has combined for 479 yards with 0 TDs and 1 INT against Indiana and ND combined. Thats pathetic for an OSU QB with those weapons especially when Indiana isnt even good. Hes also a Junior, this isnt a true freshman struggling.

OSU has the most talented roster between the three, but Penn State has the best QB. Penn States roster doesnt quite match Michigans but its close enough. If OSU is going to keep running out McCord and hes going to keep playing like this they are very beatable despite their talent advantage.

I dont thin Penn State can win the Natty, but they certainly could go in and beat OSU and/or Michigan and make the playoffs if they dont drop winnable games to others. The B!G west is bad again so I do expect whoever wins the east to win the conference

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will take a miracle of Biblical proportions for the Big Ten team from the west to win the conference championship game this season. To be blunt Hell has a better chance of freezing over.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

And it will probably be Georgia vs Alabama in the sec this year. I dont see LSU beating bama.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Current USA today coaches poll

1 GEORGIA 4–0 1592 (61)
    2 MICHIGAN 4–0 1495 (0)
    3 OHIO STATE 4–0 1414 (2)
    4 FLORIDA STATE 4–0 1390 (0)
    5 TEXAS 4–0 1336 (0)
    6 SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA 4–0 1288 (0)
    7 PENN STATE 4–0 1225 (0)
    8 WASHINGTON 4–0 1194 (1)
    9 OREGON 4–0 1071 (0)
    10 UTAH 4-0

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Franco Harris vs Heinz Ward in the final this year for me.
    PSU vs Georgia

Now that Colorado is eliminated 😉

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

I'm not a believer in Franklin, but Penn State can absolutely beat OSU. Ohio State has a serious QB problem at this point. We're 4 games into the season, he has arguably the best WR in the country, an elite WR room, and his stats are basically from games against Youngstown State and Western Kentucky.

The offensive line committed 3 penalties and allowed the following on McCord:
    • 3 Hits
    • 13 Hurries
    • 16 Pressures
    Kyle McCord STILL managed 0 sacks and 0 INTs in his second career start on the road vs. a top 10 team!!! Lead the game winning drive and made some incredible throws.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

The offensive line committed 3 penalties and allowed the following on McCord:
    • 3 Hits
    • 13 Hurries
    • 16 Pressures
    Kyle McCord STILL managed 0 sacks and 0 INTs in his second career start on the road vs. a top 10 team!!! Lead the game winning drive and made some incredible throws.

He definitely took a long time to get acclimated to the game but I came away impressed win McCord by the end. He looked really, really good on that last drive.

• Options

now here's a good look

when Colorado was down 35-0 at half, Travis Hunter was streaming NBA 2k live on Twitch.............playing some guy for 50 grand

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

Down year for the SEC so far and the B10 has their typical 3 good teams. OSU QB looking a little shaky but the clutch drive to win might give him the confidence to take his game to another level.

Will be interesting to see how ND does against Clemson as that will allow folks to assess the OSU win vs ND compared to the FSU win vs Clemson. Feels like ND will beat Clemson and thus make the OSU win more impressive, but we will see.

Funny that the following "Clemson now has 2 losses and will be unranked. A quality win, but nothing special. Clemson choked. They had FSU beat." could turn out to be perfectly accurate for ND if they lose to Duke this week or Clemson in a month and a half.

Folks put way too much emphasis on early season wins against ranked teams when the early season rankings are just popularity contests. I think ND will be a good team this season but you just never know until they play a few more games.

Robb

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    now here's a good look

when Colorado was down 35-0 at half, Travis Hunter was streaming NBA 2k live on Twitch.............playing some guy for 50 grand

Theres no evidence he was making bets on the game he was streaming.

Hes a streamer, has been for years, that just happens to be elite at football. Hes on limited activity while he recovers which is why he didnt travel with the team. Watching his team get dominated on tv in every possible aspect of the game wouldnt have changed a single thing.

This is just some media making something out of nothing