Options

2023 college football thread

Comments

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2023 7:32PM

Florida upsets #11 Tennessee
    Maryland destroys Virginia 42-14.
    Hard to believe Western Kentucky scored 41 against South Florida and South Florida and Alabama were tied at halftime at 3-3.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited September 16, 2023 8:01PM

Gameday next Saturday in South Bend. Go Buckeyes!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited September 16, 2023 11:36PM

WOW this is why i love college football. Its 230 in the morning and the game just ended in double overtime. Coach primetime is 3-0.

Colorado was down by 8 with 40 seconds left and won the game. The crowd ran onto the field when the game ended.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭

Going to double OT against terrible Colorado State is embarrassing, storming the field against a team that was over a 3 TD underdog is insanely embarrassing

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Going to double OT against terrible Colorado State is embarrassing, storming the field against a team that was over a 3 TD underdog is insanely embarrassing

Oh cmon now. Anything can happen in a rivalry game.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Colorado game last night was too much for me, I thought for sure we were going to lose, just too much.

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Looks as if Colorado - Utah bumped Penn State- Illinois at Champaign as the Fox game Saturday.

It would be rather ironic

@doubledragon said:
    That Colorado game last night was too much for me, I thought for sure we were going to lose, just too much.

Every team has a let down during the season.
    It’s the good teams that find a way to win when they aren’t sharp.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Penn State looking good thus far at 3-0 and ranked #7.

Long way to go.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm looking forward to the first Colorado loss. Call me a hater all you want, that's fine. 🤷🤣

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2023 9:23AM

@Basebal21 said:

yet you're the one who was telling me about a week ago that they have a shot against USC

I don't think so my friend.......here come the two consecutive losses that I told you was going to happen

it will get ugly in at least one of them.......maybe both

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I'm looking forward to the first Colorado loss. Call me a hater all you want, that's fine. 🤷🤣

Hater 😉

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@Basebal21 said:

yet you're the one who was telling me about a week ago that they have a shot against USC

I don't think so my friend.......here come the two consecutive losses that I told you was going to happen

If Colorado beats USC would you be willing to display a CU icon for the rest of the season 😉

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where's the Colorado banter? Colorado State was supposed to be a bad team but gave the Buffs all they could handle. Oregon and USC coming up and Travis Hunter is out with an injury.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

admittedly, I dont watch a lot of college football, but the whole coach prime thing has me interested.

it looks like they will get creamed the next 2 weeks, but wouldnt it be interesting if they won one of them?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:

" but wouldnt it be interesting if they won one of them?"

Aslong as it's USC then definitely!

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

Oh cmon now. Anything can happen in a rivalry game.

Unless its the national championship you absolutely cannot storm the field for winning at home as a 24 point favorite. You especially cannot do it if it went to double OT to win. Colorado State is a very bad program

• Options
    edited September 17, 2023 1:36PM

@galaxy27 said:

@Basebal21 said:

They do have a shot against USC. USC also has a bad defense especially against teams that can throw the ball. USCs defense is capable of losing any game. Maybe Bear Alexander goes out and just bullies the Colorado line which isnt very good and shuts them down, maybe not. I did say if they were going to win that it would be something like 77-70 where no one is stopping anyone.

I would prefer if Oregon went out and just destroyed them and then USC put up 100 on them. Its gotten old that an okay team is getting the majority of the attention and networks are acting like were talking about 2019 LSU or 2020 Bama when its not even close just because Deion is the coach.

Theyre better no doubt, but this hype has gotten out of control and is just annoying at this point how many things are getting ignored so that Colorado can always be talked about. Its also gotten played out how they say every game is personal, either they hate the entire world or its a really bad shtick and Sheduer warming up wearing a Rolex, then storming the field for barely winning as 24 point favorites. This thing is quickly turning into a clown show and I'm all for celebrations and storming the field in the right situations

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

CU has a chance against SC? 🥱

Anything is possible.

Have a nice day
  • Options

Just heard "Coach Prime" is going to be on 60 Minutes tonight. They must want to get him on before the losing streak starts and the media interest wanes.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are we officially saying that Alabama is not an elite team this season?

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Alabama only scored 17 points against South Florida.

They only needed 4, scored 13 more than they had to. :D

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Just heard "Coach Prime" is going to be on 60 Minutes tonight. They must want to get him on before the losing streak starts and the media interest wanes.

The Rub will definitely be how they are if they lose a game and how they respond

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@coolstanley said:
    Alabama only scored 17 points against South Florida.

They only needed 4, scored 13 more than they had to. :D

And they dropped to 13 in the AP poll.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Are we officially saying that Alabama is not an elite team this season?

They have a QB issue they havent had in many years given they have 4 QBs currently starting in the NFL, but theyre still one of the best teams in the country.

Saban wasnt aggressive enough or didnt do a good enough job in the transfer portal for getting an elite QB. He probably believed in Milton or believed one would fall in his lap which wont happen anymore. Ty Simpson could be the answer. Hes a 5 star with all the tools and his dad is the head coach at UT Martin. Hes young and inexperienced though but looked fine when he came in. Saban doesnt like young QBs in general which is probably why Milroe didnt get benched in the Texas game

If they go back to Milroe they will have to switch up the play calling and really even the plays. As good as Texas is Milroe lost that game missing wide open easy TDs and throwing very bad picks which is why he was benched for this game.

They have a rough stretch coming up and just a few days to figure this all out. It should be Simpson but Saban might do a Saban thing and split the snaps all week which wont be helpful

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    "And they dropped to 13 in the AP poll. "

That's good news - I hate Alabama!

• Options
    edited September 18, 2023 5:33AM

@4for4 said:

@galaxy27 said:

@Basebal21 said:

If Colorado beats USC would you be willing to display a CU icon for the rest of the season 😉

i'm not hating on the Buffs. i love Prime and what he's done. hell i hope he wins a national championship there one day. but at the end of the day, i'm a realist. and in my humble opinion, Colorado is about to visit the loser's lounge in consecutive weeks. and it may be with their tails between their legs. they have the worst possible matchup this week. if Oregon is as sick of hearing about CU as a lot of teams are, they will have no qualms about running up the score if the opportunity presents itself. they beat an inferior school by 74 points earlier this season. does that sound like they care about the opposition's feelings?

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Colorado and Coach Prime appear to be in a situation where most of those who follow college football either love them or hate them.

While it is unlikely that the Buffalos will go undefeated this year; would those who hate them have a change of heart if they did?

Colorado has not been a college football powerhouse (I recall it did tie for the national title about 30-35 years ago when Polls crowned the champion) and mostly has been an also ran/doormat. It now has Dieon Sanders as a coach (which alone, will attract substantial attention from those who follow football and from the general public, because who would not want to be connected to "Prime Time"?). It also has better players and maybe will outplay the other teams on its schedule. Some people react negatively to both items mentioned above and simply do not like Colorado "not staying in its lane" and attempting to run with the big dogs.

I can only imagine how upbeat Boulder, Colorado and the CU campus is this fall. There has got to be some major partying going on.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always found Prime Time an interesting person. I think he is great for the game of college football, not only for the success on the football field, but his influence on his players, coaches and fans. I believe he really cares for his players and will make them men in society.

As for the Colorado football team, they will be without their best player for at least 3 weeks, a player who plays both defense and offense. So this will be like missing 2 of their best players. They also lack depth at most positions, so as the injuries start to pile up, there will be a big drop in talent level of the replacements.

I am rooting for Coach Prime as I see him having a positive impact in many lives.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe Colorado shared the National Championship in 1990- they lost one game- 23-22 to Illinois at Champaign in a wild one- Illinois finished the season in a 4 way tie for the Big Ten title.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Colorado and Coach Prime appear to be in a situation where most of those who follow college football either love them or hate them.

While it is unlikely that the Buffalos will go undefeated this year; would those who hate them have a change of heart if they did?

Colorado has not been a college football powerhouse (I recall it did tie for the national title about 30-35 years ago when Polls crowned the champion) and mostly has been an also ran/doormat. It now has Dieon Sanders as a coach (which alone, will attract substantial attention from those who follow football and from the general public, because who would not want to be connected to "Prime Time"?). It also has better players and maybe will outplay the other teams on its schedule. Some people react negatively to both items mentioned above and simply do not like Colorado "not staying in its lane" and attempting to run with the big dogs.

I can only imagine how upbeat Boulder, Colorado and the CU campus is this fall. There has got to be some major partying going on.

People arent hating Colorado because theyre trying to get good again, people are hating them because theyre sick of a below average team that hasnt proved anything yet getting covered like its the 2019 LSU team coming back to play. Only Colorado fans want to have like half of every sports/football show/podcast be about the Buffs.

Colorado does not have better players than its opponents other than Standford and maybe ASU depending who ASU starts at QB. Oregon, USC, Utah, Oregon State, Arizona, UCLA all have better rosters, Washington State is a push at best. Washington is also better than them in the PAC 12

Colorados roster is below average. They have a good secondary and good WRs, with Hunter out (who is elite) both those units are likely just average now especially the secondary. Sheduer could be very good, but he hasnt been tested yet so we will see but other than him their QB room is bad. Their RB room is fine for the PAC but would be one of if not the worst in the SEC or the B1G. Their offensive line isnt very good. Their defensive line is bad and their linebackers are below average which is why people have been able to run all over them.

They have a handful of very good players and at least one elite player (Hunter who is hurt) but after that its a bunch of average players. Deion didnt get all the 4 and 5 stars from the portal everyone thought he was going to and even lost as many 4 stars as he brought in. Maybe in a year or two he gets it there, but they arent there yet and they arent close yet.

Its an improved roster from the year before for sure, but everyone acting like its some elite roster when it might not even be an average roster without Hunter is why people are sick of hearing about them all the time

• Options

@coinkat said:
    I believe Colorado shared the National Championship in 1990- they lost one game- 23-22 to Illinois at Champaign in a wild one- Illinois finished the season in a 4 way tie for the Big Ten title.

They shared it with Georgia Tech that year. That was when Bieniemy had like 1700 yards rushing and there were several NFL guys on the team. I remember him since he went on to be a bust for the Chargers

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Public attention (wanted or not) is something that happens, even of the object of the attention is clearly not deserving of same. Often times there is no rhyme or reason why public attention goes where it goes.

For whatever reason attention is being directed Colorado's way (mostly because of who their coach is). While the story is mostly positive at this point in time, as soon as a loss or two happens the public attention will either turn negative for the remainder of the season, or it will turn negative and quickly burn out.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fans need to observe and enjoy the ride more than complain about the bumps in the road

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Public attention (wanted or not) is something that happens, even of the object of the attention is clearly not deserving of same. Often times there is no rhyme or reason why public attention goes where it goes.

For whatever reason attention is being directed Colorado's way (mostly because of who their coach is). While the story is mostly positive at this point in time, as soon as a loss or two happens the public attention will either turn negative for the remainder of the season, or it will turn negative and quickly burn out.

Its going Colorados way because of Deion. The goal posts will just get moved when they lose to Oregon and USC about how much of an impact Travis Hunter has, how theyve won more games etc. The attention is never going to get negative from the media even if they lose every game the rest of the season.

Deion is doing his job using his celebrity connections and everything to bring attention. You would have thought that Colorado State was the national championship game or Georgia was coming to town with all the attention that game got all week and is still getting. Ironically if he is super successful he will leave Colorado in a year or two for a bigger program.

It doesnt mean someone is being a hater though when most fans are sick of them being the focus of everything just because of Deion. Its understandable and perfectly alright to be sick of them dominating the college football news cycle everyday

• Options

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options

Looks like Colorado is on Saturday TV again.............

Colorado vs Oregon 3:30 EST ABC

• Options

@Steven59 said:

With the raitings theyre getting theyre going to be on TV every week until they lose a bunch. Alabama Ole Miss and UCLA Utah are more important games in that time slot but they will thankfully be on CBS and FOX. Theres some important and good games in all the time slots from noon through 7:30 eastern. The late slot is very weak but overall a bunch of important games

• Options

Alot of great top 25 games this week.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@Steven59 said:

Warren Sapp joining the staff I hear.

It’s a win for Colorado if they can keep it within 7. Just going forward will give them great confidence.
    I expect Sanders QB to go off today.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options

I picking Oregon today.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

I think a 10-point loss would be a moral victory for the Buffs, but I don't see it happening. Prime is playing an upper-echelon team for the first time this season, and he's doing so in their house. And you just know that Oregon is beyond sick of the CU hype train, thus they are prepared to derail it by scoring early and often today.

Could get ugly. Hope I'm wrong.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    I think a 10-point loss would be a moral victory for the Buffs, but I don't see it happening. Prime is playing an upper-echelon team for the first time this season, and he's doing so in their house. And you just know that Oregon is beyond sick of the CU hype train, thus they are prepared to derail it by scoring early and often today.

3-0 Oregon beat 0-2 Texas Tech 38-30. Below is Sanders passing totals this year.

Don’t be surprised if the game is very close or CU wins.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options

@4for4 said:

@galaxy27 said:

3-0 Oregon beat 0-2 Texas Tech 38-30. Below is Sanders passing totals this year.

and CU was down two scores in the 4th quarter at home to an atrocious Colorado St team. we can play this little game all day.

believe you me, Sanders will need those stats you cited and more to keep pace with Oregon, a team that has scored 174 points in 3 games.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@4for4 said:

@galaxy27 said:

and CU was down two scores in the 4th quarter at home to an atrocious Colorado St team. we can play this little game all day.

believe you me, Sanders will need those stats you cited and more to keep pace with Oregon, a team that has scored 174 points in 3 games.

Sure I left out the part that OU could win by 21. That’s what most are expecting. I think it’s closer.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options

Florida State - Clemson on (12pm) before the Colorado - Oregon game

• Options

@4for4 said:

@coinkat said:
    Looks as if Colorado - Utah bumped Penn State- Illinois at Champaign as the Fox game Saturday.

It would be rather ironic

@doubledragon said:

Every team has a let down during the season.
    It’s the good teams that find a way to win when they aren’t sharp.

I was definately > @Alfonz24 said:

I have always found Prime Time an interesting person. I think he is great for the game of college football, not only for the success on the football field, but his influence on his players, coaches and fans. I believe he really cares for his players and will make them men in society.

As for the Colorado football team, they will be without their best player for at least 3 weeks, a player who plays both defense and offense. So this will be like missing 2 of their best players. They also lack depth at most positions, so as the injuries start to pile up, there will be a big drop in talent level of the replacements.

I am rooting for Coach Prime as I see him having a positive impact in many lives.

Yeah, me too, Deion Sanders tried to kill himself in Cincinnati in the 90s, he hit rock bottom in his life and decided to try and end it, he drove his car off a cliff. He emerged from the vehicle without a scratch and decided to give his life to God. So I'm glad to see him alive and having success, if we get beat the next 2 weeks then so be it, there are more important things in life than football, but I'm happy he's still with us and having fun and making an impact on young men's lives.

• Options

@4for4 said:

@galaxy27 said:

Texas Tech is a lot better than their record indicates

Oregon is getting over hyped, but unless theyre frauds they should own the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

• Options

Florida State and Clemson are tied at 24-24, looks like it's headed for overtime unless Clemson performs a miracle with :12 seconds to go.

• Options

Yep, overtime in Death Valley.

• Options

Florida State beats Clemson 31-24 in overtime.