Home Sports Talk
Options

2023 college football thread

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Hype Machine has jumped on Colorado's bandwagon and will force feed Colorado Football to the consuming masses, until Colorado loses its first game. B)

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been fun watching Colorado so far, but I think @galaxy27 is right, it's about to get real when they play Oregon and USC, I think Colorado loses both of those games.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    It's been fun watching Colorado so far, but I think @galaxy27 is right, it's about to get real when they play Oregon and USC, I think Colorado loses both of those games.

Nebraska had four turnovers in the first half and was still down only 13-7. No way that happens for Colorado against a team with a pulse.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    Colorado will get past Colorado St. next week, then sh*t will get very real when they go to Oregon, followed by USC at home.

Nebraska devised the perfect blueprint for slowing the Buffs' high-octane, yet one-dimensional O down, but their junior high offense drove their own defense directly into the ground. that won't happen against legit teams like the Ducks and Trojans.

Colorado is definitely getting way over hyped after beating an average at best team and just a flat out bad team, but USC is a very winnable game for them. USC has a bad defense that plays into Colorado wanting to just throw the ball all over the place. Rileys defensive coordinator he brought with him constantly put out bad defenses at Oklahoma eventhough he had 4 and 5 stars all over the field. Not much reason to think hes somehow magically figured it out with significantly less talent. Colorado has weak lines that might struggle against Bear Alexander and It might end up being 70-63, but USC is a good style matchup for Colorado. Plus ever since Carroll left USC always blows at least one game they should have won

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Colorado v. USC game is being played in Boulder.

How about USC bring their mascot (the Trojan Warrior riding the white horse) to Folsom Field and have him engage in a match with Ralphie (each gets to start at the opposing 25 yard lines and they run at full speed to collide with each other at the 50 yard line) to decide which team wins the choice of whether to open the game on offense or defense (replacing the coin toss). What ever mascot is standing after the collision is the winner.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm picking USC in that game.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Unable to watch the Alabama game. Spectrum took away our ESPN and no luck streaming. Keep refreshing google looks like Bama only has 3 points with 2 minutes to go in the first half. wow.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley - Texas 13 - Bama 3 20 seconds left but Bama driving

Here's a link - gives a bit more info then just refreshing the score.
    https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401520183

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it stinks we can't watch the Texas vs Alabama game, the biggest game of the weekend, what the heck is wrong with this stupid world!

• Options

I got the game on AM radio.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Texas up by 11 in the 4th quarter

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Its honestly shocking Milroe hasnt been benched yet. He is atrocious passing other than occasionally just chucking the ball up for a long pass.

Texas is loaded and theyre going to be an issue. Ewers is elite among others, but Milroe is a runner that has an arm and has missed so many wide open people and bad decisions its crazy Bama isnt getting blown out

• Options

Two good Big Ten non conference wins on the road.

Iowa defeats Iowa State
    Purdue defeats Virginia Tech

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited September 9, 2023 7:34PM

Iowa State and Virginia Tech are not good wins. They are both bad teams

Iowa still has no offense and should just fire their OC now, hes not going to reach the average contractually needed to save his job

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

I know you're a Big Ten hater and reason for the ridiculous comments. Anyone who follows college football knows that Blacksburg is one of the toughest places to play in college football.
    And Iowa Iowa State is a huge rivalry game.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

DOWN GOES BAMA!

Alabama is now 2-8-1 all time against Texas.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Two bad weeks now for the sec.

Unranked Miami upsets Texas A@M.

Jimbo in hot water.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited September 9, 2023 8:37PM

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

I know you're a Big Ten hater and reason for the ridiculous comments. Anyone who follows college football knows that Blacksburg is one of the toughest places to play in college football.
    And Iowa Iowa State is a huge rivalry game.

I actually watch games from all conferences and pat attention to their recruiting and transfer portal things and objectively look at teams. I can understand that not everyone pays attention and just wants to be a fan and theres nothing wrong with that, but just calling someone a hater because you dont like whats said and the facts involved is just fan board message stuff

This isnt the early 2000s anymore which anyone that pays attention to the sport overall already knows
    VT won 3 games last year and 6 games the year before, they also won 8 games in 2019 and 6 games in 2018. The program has gone down hill so have their recruiting classes and they didnt do anything to change that in the transfer portal.

Iowas rivarly could be a high school it doesnt make them a good team. Iowa State is a bad team that also has multiple suspensions from gambling making them even worse. If Iowa knew what an offense was they would have blown them out Iowa State won 4 games last year were 60th for their recruiting class and did nothing in the transfer portal. Thats all before the suspensions. They are not a good team

• Options

You dont get it. Its always hard to win on the road in college football. And were not talking about Ohio State or Penn State here lol.

Were talking about Iowa and Purdue. A good win for both programs.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I think it stinks we can't watch the Texas vs Alabama game, the biggest game of the weekend, what the heck is wrong with this stupid world!

Money may have something to do with it as usual. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2023 9:10PM

Bama tanked my sheet. Glad I could not watch the disaster.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2023 10:56PM

@coolstanley said:
    You dont get it. Its always hard to win on the road in college football. And were not talking about Ohio State or Penn State here lol.

Were talking about Iowa and Purdue. A good win for both programs.

What impressed you about Iowa State or VT? This isnt the first time you just say things about me and ignore facts that are presented

Its absolutely not always hard to win on the road. Its hard to win on the road if the team is good.

I wont even get into Purdue losing at home to Fresno State already

I would like to hear your thoughts on why VT and Iowa State have a good roster, what players set them over the top, why they should be considered good teams etc.

• Options

Just more ridiculous comments by you as usual. You are beyond repair.

Fresno State is one of those teams that no one wants to play. They are on a 11 game winning streak and are defending conference champions.

But that's what you do. Keep bashing the Big ten teams.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

What has Texas done in the last 10 years? Embarrassing home loss for the tide.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Sometimes teams like the 1980’s USA hockey team can get so good because of momentum and great physical conditioning.
    We have no idea how hard Deion worked these kids and they could get better as we move forward.

That’s just a possibility.
    Whether it becomes a reality is another question.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options

Roll Tide Longhorns!

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Just more ridiculous comments by you as usual. You are beyond repair.

Fresno State is one of those teams that no one wants to play. They are on a 11 game winning streak and are defending conference champions.

But that's what you do. Keep bashing the Big ten teams.

What stat would you like to dispute? Intelligently using facts please because Iowa State and VT finished dead last in their respective divisions last year and had the 43rd and 60th ranked recruiting classes that had 0 5 stars and 3 4 stars between both of them.

Fresno State is not a team anyone fears other than bad teams. They play in the MWC

So what would you like to dispute intelligently? If I'm so wrong it should be easy to prove with facts not just avoiding the topic

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Roll Tide Longhorns!

People seem to have forgotten how good Ewers is and that when he played last year it was coming off an injury where he separated his throwing shoulder. Theres a reason he was the highest rated QB ever when he was a recruit

• Options

Mel Tucker suspended and more and more reports are saying Michigan State plans to fire him with cause for sexual harassment to avoid paying his buyout

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks as if Colorado - Utah bumped Penn State- Illinois at Champaign as the Fox game Saturday.

It would be rather ironic if a Pac 12 team or even teams made it to the NCAA National Championship play-offs. Would be sort of comical for the end result to be "we're putting the Conference back together again"... seems to be a tall order for Jake and Elwood.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    Looks as if Colorado - Utah bumped Penn State- Illinois at Champaign as the Fox game Saturday.

It would be rather ironic if a Pac 12 team or even teams made it to the NCAA National Championship play-offs. Would be sort of comical for the end result to be "we're putting the Conference back together again"... seems to be a tall order for Jake and Elwood.

Colorado doesnt play Utah until the last game of the season, they play god awful Colorado State. If a national network bumped a game to put Colorado State on TV because of Colorado they will become a very hated team across the country.

There is no chance the PAC 12 is getting put back together. The teams already formally agreed to leave. Oregon State and Washington State are even actively suing the conference claiming that teams announcing to leave shouldnt have voting powers which would mean if they win then the PAC 2 championship would be Oregon State and Washington State when they vote for themselves.

Oregon State and Washington State have been talking to the Mountain West trying to convince them to merge to keep the PAC 12 name alive, but so far the MWC would prefer they just join their conference.

Were still waiting to see what the playoff committee is going to do with the PAC 2 automatic bid to the playoffs that was supposed to start next year. You have to have 6 teams to be considered a conference, but even if they got to 6 theres no way the other conferences are going to allow them to have an automatic playoff bid

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2023 5:56AM

My mistake as to Utah- not sure what clicked to get that.

Additional correction- looks as if Penn State Illinois is still on but the so-called Fox Game Day program allegedly was moved to Boulder from Champaign

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Actually: Colorado - Colorado State, 8pm (Mountain Time) ESPN Saturday

• Options

@Steven59 said:

That game has no business being on ESPN or any channel other than a local one even with a weak schedule this weekend.

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@Steven59 said:

That game has no business being on ESPN or any channel other than a local one even with a weak schedule this weekend.

AI is used by the networks to see which teams are getting the most “attention “ on the internet.

They know what they’re doing.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options

:D - I don't have ESPN so they can show any game they want!

• Options

@4for4 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Steven59 said:

AI is used by the networks to see which teams are getting the most “attention “ on the internet.

They know what they’re doing.

Its really just the Deion factor that is getting Colorado games on big networks. That game got moved to the 10pm eastern time slot which is fine, theres nothing else there thats even remotely interesting. Its a weird week that doesnt really have a whole lot and the best games are all at noon or 3 and after that can really just stop paying attention other than Tennessee Florida at 7

• Options

This weekends games. I'm watching Virginia vs Maryland right now.

https://www.ncaa.com/scoreboard/football/fbs/2023/03

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

South Carolina 14 - #1 Georgia 3 at the half. A bit of a surprise!

• Options

Well that didn't take long - Georgia takes second half kickoff and goes down the field in 2:40 to score an easy TD. Down 10-14.

• Options

Looks like Georgia was taking it easy in the first half. Just scored again going up 17-14. Oh well, no more upset special.

• Options
    edited September 16, 2023 3:02PM

@Steven59 said:
    Looks like Georgia was taking it easy in the first half. Just scored again going up 17-14. Oh well, no more upset special.

Georgia has a tendency to start slow especially against teams theyre expected to beat. Rattler was playing very well in the first half and they basically live and die on what version of Rattler is out there. South Carolina is a better team than they get credit for though especially with all the injuries they have

Georgia also has a kicking problem at the moment with the true freshman missing two now

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    "Georgia has a tendency to start slow especially against teams theyre expected to beat."

I heard the game announcers talking about that in the first half.

Also doesn't help SC has missed 2 field goals so far.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@Basebal21 said:
    "Georgia has a tendency to start slow especially against teams theyre expected to beat."

I heard the game announcers talking about that in the first half.

Also doesn't help SC has missed 2 field goals so far.

They at least have an excuse this game given that its Becks first real start, but they did this same thing most of last year too. They're really good at half time adjustments, but its almost like you have to prove to them that youre a worthy opponent before they turn into Georgia.

Rattler is playing by far his best game of the year too

• Options

South Carolina is a good team. Wouldn't surprise me if they did beat Georgia. They played them tough.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Rutgers is now 3-0 with a win over Virginia tech.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Virginia Tech is a terrible team. Other than when Rutgers beats Wagner they may not win another game the rest of the season

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Virginia Tech is a terrible team. Other than when Rutgers beats Wagner they may not win another game the rest of the season

Its Rutgers. They'll take it lol.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Alabama only scored 17 points against South Florida.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Alabama only scored 17 points against South Florida.

Albama played two QBs and Tyler Buchner was god awful. Ty Simpson was fine and is probably the starter going forward. USF was a trap game for them, it was only agreed to in order for them to be able to meet with recruits easier from southern FL. .

Indiana lost to Louisville, Duke dominated Northwestern, UNC dominated Minnesota, Iowa State lost to Ohio University, Missouri beat Kansas State with a 61 yard walk off field goal, FSU barely held on in their trap game to BC. Milton was terrible for Tennessee and will likely get benched at some point this season.

The Milton story is probably actually a bigger one right now than Bama. Everyone knew Bama was questionable at QB, Milton apparently hasnt fixed any of his accuracy issues though and its clear why he always loses his starting job