Options

2023 college football thread

Comments

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:
    I think this is the best team that Coach Franklin has put together since he came to Penn State.

Franklin has had a problem though winning big games against the top teams, in games where it appeared before the game that Penn State would be competitive. Not every time, but most of the time. Whereby Joe Paterno many times got his teams to step up and win big games against top teams.

We shall see if Franklin can get over the hump this season and finally win a NCAA championship. Same as Andy Reid got over the hump and finally won a Super Bowl.

I'm not a believer in Franklin, but Penn State can absolutely beat OSU. Ohio State has a serious QB problem at this point. We're 4 games into the season, he has arguably the best WR in the country, an elite WR room, and his stats are basically from games against Youngstown State and Western Kentucky.

The offensive line committed 3 penalties and allowed the following on McCord:
    • 3 Hits
    • 13 Hurries
    • 16 Pressures
    Kyle McCord STILL managed 0 sacks and 0 INTs in his second career start on the road vs. a top 10 team!!! Lead the game winning drive and made some incredible throws.

McCord only had 0 Ints because ND decided to do their Patriots vs Giants Samuel impression and drop an INT that hit them right in the hands with no one really around them. They then went into prevent D which only prevents you from protecting your lead which is where McCord got a big chunk of his 240 yards in the game with 0 rushing yards and no TDs. He also had 239 yards 0 TDs 1 INT and 8 rushing yards against Indiana.

OSU has a very good if not great O line, they have great WRs, they have very good is not great RBs, yet he still cant do anything as a junior that was also Harrison Jrs QB in HS so you cant even argue they arent familiar with each other. Everyone has a ton of pressures and hurries in every game. 3 Hits is nothing.

Could he be good sure, but until he proves he can actually play against power 5 teams there is a serious QB issue at the moment. OSU fans secretly know it too which is why theyre so defensive over a guy thats proven nothing and never done anything for them.

ND also isnt a top 10 team. They always start there because of the name and the NBC contract but they dont have a top 10 roster and will very likely lose to Clemson. They can easily lose to Duke as well. USC who knows with how bad the USC defense is they can lose any game at any point. ND will likely finish with at least 2 if not 3 loses and be ranked in the mid to late teens or higher

OSU didnt beat ND because of McCord they beat ND because of a significant talent advantage, ND going into prevent, and ND sending 10 guys out for the final play of the game. Even with 10 guys on the field OSU scored by an inch. Theyre lucky ND blew the game at the end. That QB play from McCord isnt going to beat Penn State or Michigan and certainly wouldnt win any playoff game

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope not lucky. Why do you think Ohio State called the run play? Because they saw that ND had 10 players. Its a chess match.
    Just about any other school, McCord would be the starter. Ohio State could lose some games. Stroud was the #2 overall pick in the draft, and two time heisman finalist, and he lost some games as well.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Nope not lucky. Why do you think Ohio State called the run play? Because they saw that ND had 10 players. Its a chess match.
    Just about any other school, McCord would be the starter. Ohio State could lose some games. Stroud was the #2 overall pick in the draft, and two time heisman finalist, and he lost some games as well.

Ohio State called the running play during the time out. They planned to do it. They had no idea nor did anyone else that ND wasnt going to put enough players on the field.

Stroud has nothing to do with college football, hes in the NFL. Strouds stats also blow McCords out of the water. He played ND and Wisconsin in his first 4 games of 2022 and had 7 TDs, 1 INT and 504 yards in those two games.

• Options

Yeah McCord sucks. He's thrown a whopping one interception in four games :/

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited September 27, 2023 4:05PM

@coolstanley said:
    Yeah McCord sucks. He's thrown a whopping one interception in four games :/

You think Youngstown State who got paid 800k to play OSU or Western Kentucky who got paid 1.8 million to play OSU are legitimate games? The mighty have fallen too if OSU fans now think Indiana is legitimate competition

The guy with 0 TDs and and 479 yards and 1 INT in two games against Indiana and ND yea......

Playing like that will go great against Penn State and Michigan

• Options

The Saturday games have yet to be played, and already a top 10 team goes down.

Oregon State 21 Utah 7

Good win.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Clemson has another tough test today on the road against undefeated Syracuse.

Tonight Notre Dame is at undefeated Duke.

Alabama has a late game(9:00) against Mississippi State

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Kansas Texas at 3:30
    LSU Ole Miss at 6

• Options

Can we now stop pretending that USC has a defense

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we now put USC below the top 10 where they deserve to be? The media has fallen in love with Caleb and just won't stop. Poor Buffs had some stupid play calls at the end of the game! I don't get it, passing attack was unstoppable and they chose to run with 5 mins left and NO time outs!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

Oh, according to the game announcers USC has one of the best pass defenses in the college ranks! They were even stating that as CU lit the scoreboard up in the second half.
    AND the interceptions Caleb was throwing it almost seemed (here we go again) like he was ruining the point spread.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    "You think Youngstown State who got paid 800k to play OSU or Western Kentucky who got paid 1.8 million to play OSU are legitimate games?"

In one of the largest upsets ever seen in college football, Appalachian State, a Division I-AA school, went into the Big House and knocked off the Michigan Wolverines, 34-32.

• Options

I'm sure all the Georgia fans will still have them at #1 after todays showing :D

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    I'm sure all the Georgia fans will still have them at #1 after todays showing :D

Tough to move a #1 without a loss.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@Basebal21 said:

Oh, according to the game announcers USC has one of the best pass defenses in the college ranks! They were even stating that as CU lit the scoreboard up in the second half.
    AND the interceptions Caleb was throwing it almost seemed (here we go again) like he was ruining the point spread.

The announcing in that game was certainly something lol. Apparently if you play against Colorado you get hyped up no matter what. USCs defense has been bad all year and almost lost that game. Their defense is capable of losing any game at any time

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@coolstanley said:

Tough to move a #1 without a loss.

Its happened before. Auburn is a bad team.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited September 30, 2023 5:39PM

@Steven59 said:

@Basebal21 said:
    "You think Youngstown State who got paid 800k to play OSU or Western Kentucky who got paid 1.8 million to play OSU are legitimate games?"

In one of the largest upsets ever seen in college football, Appalachian State, a Division I-AA school, went into the Big House and knocked off the Michigan Wolverines, 34-32.

App state does that from time to time. Theres a couple of those teams that every now and then will do that like Old Dominion. Youngstown and Western Kentucky arent one of them.

• Options

@coolstanley said:

Auburn is a tough team at home. Theyre 4-1 with their only loss to Georgia in their last 5 home games against a #1 team. Georgia is still #1

• Options

I would put USC ahead of Georgia. Colorado would beat Auburn.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

WHAT???????????
    Georgia would would pass themselves to a 70 - 24 victory

• Options
    edited September 30, 2023 5:56PM

Lol what a wild statement

Colorado would look even worse than they did against Oregon against Auburn and Georgia would beat USC easily

Colorados lines are bad and couldnt handle Auburns on either side of the ball. USC has no defense and Georgia can handle their WRs

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@coolstanley said:

WHAT???????????
    Georgia would would pass themselves to a 70 - 24 victory

Joker.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Its insane how many coaches lose games running a prevent defense and how other coaches keep doing it to lose every time

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not play the ND/Duke game. So I could enjoy the exciting ending.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

He threw one.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Steven59 said:

He threw one.

One was called back, but for USC to get shutout for an entire quarter against a bad Colorado defense thats the issue. He wasnt good in the 4th at all

• Options

Notre Dame has now won 30 straight games against ACC opponents.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@Tabe said:

@Steven59 said:

He threw one.

One was called back, but for USC to get shutout for an entire quarter against a bad Colorado defense thats the issue. He wasnt good in the 4th at all

I would agree with that.

• Options

3-2 LSU being ranked in the AP poll is maybe the finest example of SEC bias ever crafted.

Georgia at 1 is the media just laughing at everyone else. They have played NOBODY, and are struggling to win the last 2 weeks. I'd give everything I had to play them this week.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

We will find out how good Kentucky is tonight. Going for 6-0.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Down goes Texas.

Another good win for the Buckeyes. McCord 320 yards passing, 2 touchdowns.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Another good win for the Buckeyes. McCord 320 yards passing, 2 touchdowns.

He actually looked pretty good in the second half. But where is the Buckeyes running game?

• Options

Congrats on McCord finally throwing a TD against a power 5 team that they were 14.5 point favorites over. Only took him over 11 quarters against power 5 teams to get his first TD. He now has 2 TD and 1 INT in 3 games against Indiana, ND, Maryland.

Texas OU was a great game but Texas play calling towards the end was cowardly. Very likely the Big 12 championship rematch. Also thoughts and prayers to people that went to that game with the Texas state fair on the grounds at the same time, what a traffic and parking nightmare.

LSU Mizzou super exciting game. Rough ending for Mizzou betters for LSU to cover with a pick 6 under 6 minutes left. Daniels should absolutely be right up at the top for Heisman voting with the insane season hes having, its a shame their defense has let them down a couple games

• Options

In even more unsurprising news ND got handled and lost again.

• Options

And USC needed 3 OT's to put away AZ. USC has had trouble in 4th quarter last 2 weeks letting the opposition back into the game.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Arizona will upset someone at some point, but they really should have won that game. USC will likely lose at ND this week and ND will almost certainly lose again in a couple weeks when they go to Clemson

• Options

I watched the wild USC arizona finish last night. Game ended around 2 am.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

There is going to be some serious reshuffling of the Top 20 the next two weeks.

Feels like the postseason begins now.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options

My vote for worse sports decision of the year goes to the Miami college coach who had the game won with a kneel down, but called a play which eventually resulted in the loss of the game.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    My vote for worse sports decision of the year goes to the Miami college coach who had the game won with a kneel down, but called a play which eventually resulted in the loss of the game.

Should be fired. Losing to a awful team makes it twice as bad.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

and then we have his convoluted explanation for why he didn't kneel.

a timeout?

get the first down?

was this man dropped on his head at halftime?

it's inconceivable that there's someone out there raking in 80$ mil to be this stupid:

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    and then we have his convoluted explanation for why he didn't kneel.

a timeout?

get the first down?

was this man dropped on his head at halftime?

it's inconceivable that there's someone out there raking in 80$ mil to be this stupid:

"we talked about two hands on the ball" lmao

• Options

My current top 10

Georgia
    Ohio State
    Michigan
    Oklahoma
    Penn State
    Washington
    Oregon
    Florida State
    Louisville
    USC

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited October 10, 2023 7:55PM

Penn State at Ohio State at NOON SATURDAY on October 21. Was hoping it would be a night game.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not rate OSU ahead of Michigan until they win the game up North. This is not a Playoff team. Slow starts against mediocre teams may be overcome. Poor starts against top teams probably will not.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    edited October 10, 2023 10:35PM

Its a bad top 10 but Michigan doesnt play their first real game until November 11th. Michigan has a two game schedule against Penn State and OSU. They can win both those games, but until they do if anything Michigan is overrated

• Options

@Brick said:
    I would not rate OSU ahead of Michigan until they win the game up North. This is not a Playoff team. Slow starts against mediocre teams may be overcome. Poor starts against top teams probably will not.

At this point the Buckeyes deserve to be higher because they have 2 good wins while Michigan has none. Michigan has 3 tough games in November, two of them on the road.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

@Brick said:

Ratings mean absolutely nothing right now. PSU has played no one so far. Michigan either.

I have no interest in debating who should be ranked where right now. Does it really matter ? No. Let what happens on the field for 11 games determine the rankings.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options

12 games for the regular season. 13 if you get to a conference championship and 15 if you get to the natty. It really doesnt make any difference or matter though between a team being ranked 2 or 3, 1 or 4 doesnt matter either other than having to play the best team. The games are played on neutral sites where both fan bases have the same ability to get tickets. With the four team playoff this year the only thing that really matters is being in the top 4. Next year that will change a bit with the expanded playoffs

• Options

Looks like Colorado is on ESPN again tonight.