Home U.S. Coin Forum

Hansen watch.

CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 31, 2021 7:49PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The newest addition to the collection is the 1849 G$1. Top pop 1/0 graded by PCGS, approx. 7 or 8 proofs are known.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
Tagged:

Comments

• CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were upgrades and additions made in several sets. Although, I did not see anything that stood out this week. Anyone have anything to add, please feel free.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

So how many does he still need?

Later, Paul.
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like cheering on other board members in their pursuit of coins. I don't care at what level, either - if an MS62 PL Morgan is an upgrade to their set, or a PF67 piece of old Gold. Now, tracking 3rd parties' progress, while interesting, seems mildly creepy to me, but that's not really important if it's someone else's cup of meat.

P.S. I opened this thread, like I open most threads, out of curiousity - I didn't immediately understand the reference.

edited April 22, 2018 3:33PM

@Stooge said:
    So how many does he still need?

He is updating all sets. I believe he is more focused on U.S. Coins Complete Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1792-1964). This is my opinion base on updating habits. He needs 31 to complete the registery set. I believe to actual complete the circulation strikes, he need 35 due to the registery set does not list the 4 unique CS coins.

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

@1tommy said:

@MrEureka said:

@Hydrant said:
    I admit it. I'm a contrarian. I have no interest what so ever about what Mr. Hansen is up too. Money talks. People scramble for it. It's as old as time itself. Big deal. I wish him luck. I just don't care a wit about him, his coins, or his bucks.

I could excuse that comment coming from a non-collector. But from another collector, I consider it an obnoxious display of jealousy.

Yeah I am one of those that does not mind viewing what others collect, no matter who they are or what they have...This site has really changed in the past 5 years........

Thanks for sharing.......Enjoy Tom

How has the site changed over the past five years? And I think it's great Hansen is on this pursuit and I enjoy hearing about his progress. Thanks for the OP.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018 8:01AM

@halfhunter said:

@Hydrant said:
    I admit it. I'm a contrarian. I have no interest what so ever about what Mr. Hansen is up too. Money talks. People scramble for it. It's as old as time itself. Big deal. I wish him luck. I just don't care a wit about him, his coins, or his bucks.

Why would someone who doesn't "care a whit about him, his coins, or his bucks" even open a thread here headed Hansen Watch ? ! ?

I wasn't thinking clearly at the time. I'm all better now.

• halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

I don't need to look up contrarian. I'm not ignorant. What I do need to know is who the lady in your sigline is ! ! ! LOL

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
    edited May 30, 2018 8:21AM

@dbldie55 said:
    I always believed that if someone has to tell everyone they do not care about something, then they really do. Otherwise, they would have not said a thing.

Exactly.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I was going to see a new brand of a wrist or pocket watch when I saw the thread title.

Nice rare old gold you don't see everyday though.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Um, OK.

edited April 23, 2018 8:09PM

This is interesting additional information that I cut and pasted from CoinFacts:

David Akers (1975/88): Proofs are known and are extremely rare. One specimen is in the Smithsonian Institution, another in the ANS Collection, a third in the John Hopkins University Collection (PCGS CoinFacts editor note: the Garrett collection) and a fourth is owned by John J. Pittman who purchased it from the Melish Sale in 1956.

The fourth specimen is the addition to the Hansen Collection.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin and drama too. I love it here.

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hansen has an amazing collection.

Later, Paul.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2018 8:34PM

@Currin said:
    The newest addition to the collection is a really nice old gold proof. 1854 Type 2 G$1 proof. This issue has a low survival est. of only 4 coins. The PGGS pop is 1/0, and this the only coin with a DC grade. PCGS does not list a price for this coin.

https://images.pcgs.com/TrueView/06648642_Large.jpg

I saw this coin at Pittman and my notes are "64DC- never thunk (I'd see something like this)"
    What's the assigned numerical grade, and with or without?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

It's now 64+DC. Beauty!

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

great thread!

• jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing coins!!! Very cool that they are all these cool coins are in safe hands in one collection that we can view from anywhere!!!

• PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Love the T2.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1854 Proof $ is fan-freakin'-tastic....what a gorgeous gold coin.... Thanks for showing us.... and congratulations on acquiring it.... Cheers, RickO

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:
    One of latest addition to the collection is a really nice old gold overdate, 1828/7 half eagle (BD-1). I think this is rarity with pop 2/0. The coin is the CAC - Eliasberg/ Pogue Specimen. PCGS price this coin at $325,000. Is this the specimen called "proof" in the famous Louis Eliasberg Collection?

https://images.pcgs.com/TrueView/81339439_Large.jpg

@Currin it is also ex: Clapp. It was called "Choice AU-55 obverse; Brilliant Uncirculated, MS-60 reverse" in the Eliasberg catalog (1982), but B&R further noted that both Akers and Breen had earlier called it a Proof.

It brought $44,000 with 10% juice back when the 1822 half eagle last traded hands for a record-setting (and still memorable) $687,500.

"Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

@Gazes said:
    great thread!

Thanks.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does not appear to have been purchased in an auction. Where does he find these great specimens?

At this point, I am pretty sure these great specimens are finding him.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m waiting to hear of the private sale of the Pogue 1822 and 1854-S $5’s to Hansen. He must be trying for buy them, no?

@Boosibri said:
    I’m waiting to hear of the private sale of the Pogue 1822 and 1854-S $5’s to Hansen. He must be trying for buy them, no?

I can't imagine he's not.

I was browsing the update page. Hansen has 213 sets with recent upgrades. He has 777 sets listed. I find it a pain just keeping a handful of sets up to date. What kind of effort does it take to keep his collection updated?

• jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:
    I was browsing the update page. Hansen has 213 sets with recent upgrades. He has 777 sets listed. I find it a pain just keeping a handful of sets up to date. What kind of effort does it take to keep his collection updated?

Probably a full-time job for someone...

• RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

That 1854 proof hurts my eyes if I stare at it long enough....can only imagine what it looks like in person.

Rob
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:

Whenever you add a coin to your inventory you have the option to update all existing sets where it will upgrade.

• OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Second place in the Registry behind a Hansen set is the new #1.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file