Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2018 11:09AM

@paesan said:
    Here's a No Headlights special, except it's not so tough. PC-55.

nice little die chip under the nose on the top lip

Dare we call this the "Runny Nose Variety" or the "Booger Variety".

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2018 4:18AM

@BarberFanatic said:

@paesan said:

:)

I'd go either way,

I have a few quarters with the same thing (a small die chip) on the chin, like a small beard

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had notice I was mentioned in this post! Did you see me with a booger hanging out of my nose sometime or another I didn't know was there??? :s

@BarberFanatic said:

@paesan said:

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not trying to change the subject from boogers, just wanted to share what I recently bagged:

1908-P Barber Quarter in PC35:

1907-D Barber Quarter in XF:

• T

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice new Quarters, Tim.

I had a submission come back from our hosts. I purchased 6 raw MS Barbers from a Jewelry store, all from the same collector (presumably). There were 5 Halves and one Quarter. There were also a couple of Capped Bust Halves in AU from the same place.

I submitted them on the Secure tier, splurging the extra $5/ coin. When the grades posted last week I was VERY surprised to see that 3 of them were bagged for PVC contamination. There was no visible sign of PVC when I purchased the coins, so I didn't give them an acetone bath before sending them in. My guess is the electronic sniffer used at the Secure tier pulled them out. Live and learn; they received an acetone bath last night and will be resubmitted soon.

Four of the five Halves came back in MS graded holders. I agree with one, think two are under, and one over graded. Here's the one I think was over graded- a 1912 now in a PC 63 holder:

I thought it would come back in a 61 or 62 holder. The coin has a LOT of die polish lines on it- no cleaning.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

Here’s another one of my MS Halves back from the grading room; a raw pickup as well. This is the only coin that came back in the holder I was expecting.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim - Nice newps.

Jeff - Really unusual finding that nice of material in a jewelry store. Good digging.

Pics for this PM, newp into Jim's box of twenty toughies, PC35:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Pics for this PM, from my collection PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Here's another one of my Barber Halves back from the grading room- a raw pickup:

The surfaces are really clean on this coin; I thought it looked like a 63, but PCGS decided differently. Oh well, I was close.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2018 8:33AM

@barberkeys said:
    Pics for this PM, from my collection PC58:

@ricko might appreciate the year on this one!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8.... Absolutely... I would call that a John Browning commemorative... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa those are pretty nice wild finds raw.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PonyExpress8 said:
    Vern, nice 58 nickel there!
    @JeffMTampa those are great pickups. It's always so much fun when the hunt turns up something like that. Pretty infrequent event!
    @oih82w8 on the previous page I would chose the 92-O, and yes Mike would chose the 1892 Philly. That type of secondary album toning is quite pretty and adds a lot of eye appeal. For me I can appreciate both, but the "O" is the more original of the two.
    How I wish Mike were here to debate me on a couple of threads back and forth on those 2 coins.
    I remember when I sent his complete dime set in to be graded straight out of the Dansco. So much fun we both had talking about each coin and agreeing or disagreeing with each other or our hosts. More to have fun with each other then anything else.
    Miss you buddy and you're always in my thoughts.
    Have a great weekend everyone.

We will NEVER get over losing our dear friend Mike. :'(

• Options

Yep, MFH was a friend to many and they all loved him.

Thanks for all the kind words on my recent pickups. Here's the last of my 4 raw Barber Half pickups back from our hosts:

I thought this one had a shot at MS 64. I was way off. I have a few more making their way to PCGS next week.

• Options

Very nice Half Jeff!

• Options
    edited May 13, 2018 8:17PM

Jeff - That's an awfully nice looking '99. A 62? Maybe they were off.

Everyone who is a fan of nice, original coins owes it to themselves to take a look at Gerry Fortin's blog, which today starts the offering of the Iowa Collection, Doug's beautiful, original, near complete set of seated quarters, all graded by our hosts, and nearly all Cac'd. There's a few barbers in there as well.

http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/DailyBlog.htm

Here's a barber quarter example of the type of coins in Doug's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vern
    I agree. Doug has a great coin eye. A person could learn a lot about truly exceptional coins by seeing Doug’s collections.
    Jim

• Options

Pics for this PM, newp from local show yesterday, PC-55:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Nice '13 D pickup, Vern!

About a month ago I was looking through Barber Halves in auction at Heritage. I spotted a nice looking 1909 S Half in a PC MS 64 holder. Always looking for the unattributed variety I looked a the mintmark and there it was, an upside down mintmark. I placed a healthy bid on it and waited for the auction to end; my bid was successful. The coin arrived in the mail yesterday:

The coin is heading to California today (with a bunch of others) for variety attribution. There's already a MS 65 and another 64 out there, but this will be tied for second finest of the variety.

This makes the 5th one I'll have attributed in the last 4 years. The variety seems to be much more available than others; perhaps because it's easier to spot? Is it possible there was more than one reverse die with the upside down "S"? The die scratch to the right of the mm makes a pretty good marker; looks like I need to do some research.

• Options
    Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Great looking coins people have been posting.

• Options

Jeff...just for future reference...if a coin has an assigned PCGS # you do not have to pay for variety attribution. At least I haven't had to in the past. Most redbook variety Bust Half's have PCGS #'s and I have not had to pay variety attribution on those(overton # etc.). I'm almost certain I had an 09-S reholdered in the correct holder.

@JeffMTampa said:
    Nice '13 D pickup, Vern!

About a month ago I was looking through Barber Halves in auction at Heritage. I spotted a nice looking 1909 S Half in a PC MS 64 holder. Always looking for the unattributed variety I looked a the mintmark and there it was, an upside down mintmark. I placed a healthy bid on it and waited for the auction to end; my bid was successful. The coin arrived in the mail yesterday:

The coin is heading to California today (with a bunch of others) for variety attribution. There's already a MS 65 and another 64 out there, but this will be tied for second finest of the variety.

This makes the 5th one I'll have attributed in the last 4 years. The variety seems to be much more available than others; perhaps because it's easier to spot? Is it possible there was more than one reverse die with the upside down "S"? The die scratch to the right of the mm makes a pretty good marker; looks like I need to do some research.

• Options

Jeff - Is there much of a premium on the inverted S?

Pics for this PM, newp from Paesan, with a hint of color, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@barberkeys said:

There is a premium for the inverted "S", but not large. I've sold 3 of them over the last few years, each for more than the coin would have brought with the regular mm.

As I recall at that time the mm was applied to dies in Philadelphia and shipped to the branch mint. It's likely most or all of the dies used were prepared and shipped at the same time. It's also likely a single individual punched the mm on all the dies. If he didn't know which was to position the punch on one die it's likely the mistake was produced more than once. I've already found 2 different mm positions- looking to see if there are more.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@barberkeys said:

There is a premium for the inverted "S", but not large. I've sold 3 of them over the last few years, each for more than the coin would have brought with the regular mm.

As I recall at that time the mm was applied to dies in Philadelphia and shipped to the branch mint. It's likely most or all of the dies used were prepared and shipped at the same time. It's also likely a single individual punched the mm on all the dies. If he didn't know which was to position the punch on one die it's likely the mistake was produced more than once. I've already found 2 different mm positions- looking to see if there are more.

That's a neat variety Jeff. Are any of those 5 you have found extra and for sale?

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@barberkeys said:

That's a neat variety Jeff. Are any of those 5 you have found extra and for sale?

I still have two of them- an AU 58 and the MS 64. At the moment I'm not selling either- I have one from each of the two dies I know of. I'm looking through photos to see if I can find any other mm positions.

• Options

Pics for this PM, tons of color on the selection from Paesan's Stash, PC63:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2018 2:07AM

@barberkeys said:

Everyone who is a fan of nice, original coins owes it to themselves to take a look at Gerry Fortin's blog, which today starts the offering of the Iowa Collection, Doug's beautiful, original, near complete set of seated quarters, all graded by our hosts, and nearly all Cac'd. There's a few barbers in there as well.

http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/DailyBlog.htm

Target were for submissions to be in by 9pm last night (I think), any insights or coins you thought were nice to go after with bids? One caveat was Gerry has to know you to have a bid selected.

• Options
    scodalscodal Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

Curious if any of you have an example of a 1900-O dime with an off-center and slightly tilted mintmark in your collections, particularly in circulated grade? I picked up this specimen in AU58 awhile back and believe this is what Breen was referring to in the Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins when he described a mintmark variety with the “O leaning crazily left.”

Other than in Breen’s treatise and a brief article in the Barber Coin Collectors’ Society Fall 1992 journal discussing a specimen being auctioned, I can’t find any other material on this particular variety.

I’ll be the first to admit that it wasn’t a particularly scientific exercise, but recently I looked for all the photographic examples I could find between available auction records and current eBay listings to get a sense of the prevalence of this variation. Excluding duplication, I found about 285 examples of a 1900-O, of which around 50 were in MS. Per PCGS, the issue has a rarity 4.5 across all grades, giving it an estimated population of up to 2,500. Based on third party grading pop reports, there are about 100 1900-O examples in uncirculated grades. Assuming, then, that there aren’t a significant number of MS specimens left in the wild, I saw about half of the estimated uncirculated population and roughly 10% of the estimated circulated population.

In total (including mine) I found 13 examples of this variety (roughly 5% of the coins I could find with photos). Interestingly, 9 of these were uncirculated (all MS63-66) and only 4 were circulated. If that’s representative, then about 2% of the circulated population has a crazy O, while 18% of the uncirculated population has this variation. Perhaps one of the dealer/collectors at the time bought an uncirculated roll straight from the Mint that just happened to contain a disproportionate number of crazy Os, but otherwise I’m at a loss to understand why there would be such a difference.

If anyone has a 1900-crazy (or maybe it's just lazy?) O specimen, or if anyone (particularly some of the variety experts who frequent this thread) can shed any light either on this variety or why there would be such a difference between circulated and unc pops, please let me know.

Photo credit: Stack’s Bowers

• Options

My 1900 O has the mm dead center- the far left placement is a nice variety!

• Options
    Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

I’ll take a look through a pile of dimes I have to see if I can find any with that mm placement. None of mine are MS so I’ll be helping out that circulated #.....

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Vern, Paesan's 94-O :) . Not many like this one.

Craig

• Options

That's a beautiful 95-O Dime!

• Options

My latest pick-up just arrived today: a 1907-S in PC58. Circulated to be sure, but looks nice in hand with pretty blue-green toning around the rim and represents a decent upgrade over the AU55 that previously occupied that spot, even though the curious waves of toning emanating from her forehead (it doesn’t appear to be a residual fingerprint) make it seem a bit like she is channeling Aquaman…

Photo credit: David Lawrence Rare Coins, and the Hall of Justice.

• Options

Here is a 1900-O I have in more of a worn grade... it seems to be tilted a little bit left.

• T

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous: To my eyes, your example seems to have leaning left aspect and the mintmark placement is a bit to the right of the one posted by @scodal also.

• Options

scodal - Sorry, no 00-O dimes in my collection to look at.

Craig - And the obv color is more intense, in hand.

Pics for this PM, my friend Dan just got some back from our hosts, PR-64:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@sedulous - thanks for the post! I can definitely see the tilt, but as @jedm notes it is a bit further to the right.

Actually, Breen does record two varieties: one mm placement 'far to the left,' and the other leaning 'crazily to the left.' From what I've read elsewhere it has never been entirely clear that the two varieties noted were, in fact, distinct. Until now. Tim, your photos seem to clearly establish that there really are two varieties here. When I was looking for other examples I suspect I was only looking for the far left example more like mine, but I don't recall seeing any other examples like your '00-O. As infrequently occurring as the 'far left' example seems to be, your 'crazily to the left' may be an example of an even more scarce variation.

Breen may have been one of the more incisive and diligent numismatic scholars of his time but he didn't have the Internet, much less the Megathread...

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

That really on the Edge of MS Nice coin.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

Pics for this PM, from Paesan's Stash, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2018 8:24PM

Pics for this PM, from Jim's extras, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this PM, from Dan's collection, just back from our hosts, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this AM, from Jim's second 20, NGC-50:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Tetromibi - What a great start. Thanks for posting it here.

Pics for this PM, another Dan coin back from our hosts, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sunnywood, I love that last one!!

Doug
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2018 8:56AM

I have been very busy the past month or two. Glad to see everyone is doing well adding selections to their collections. Nice pictures and dialog I am seeing as I am catching up on the thread here a bit.

Recently, I have received back a mailing from our hosts of which I will post a few of the graded Barber returns. Desiring to help our BMG friend Jon, here is one that is spoken for to add to the @DIMEMAN collection... it is my fault, not his, that this isn't in his possession yet. This 1908-P dime I swiped from a dealer in Chicago after I noticed it had a weird-looking RPD. This was confirmed by our hosts as a FS-10-1908-303 with a URS-5 (9-16 known per the Cherrypicker's Guide 5th Edition) and is now in a PC50 holder. I love the look which includes some nice toning highlights. If you check-out PCGS's site, there is one listed (this coin) at the 50 slot -pretty cool:

• Tim

• Options

Nice pickup!

• Options

I am anxious to get the 1908 from Tim. Shouldn't be long.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file