Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a raw economy submission return from our hosts over the weekend; most of the coins were FUN purchases. No, it didn't take 4 months to grade- I sent the coins in around the first of March.

One of the coins fills an empty slot in my Everyman Barber Dime set, a 1906 O now in a PCGS AU 55 holder:

It's been a tough date to find in a raw AU, though it has a mintage of 2.6 million.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    scodalscodal Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    I had a raw economy submission return from our hosts over the weekend; most of the coins were FUN purchases. No, it didn't take 4 months to grade- I sent the coins in around the first of March.

One of the coins fills an empty slot in my Everyman Barber Dime set, a 1906 O now in a PCGS AU 55 holder:

It's been a tough date to find in a raw AU, though it has a mintage of 2.6 million.

Great new pick-up, Jeff! Finding any '06-Os whatsoever in AU is a very tall order (it's still an empty slot in my set), much less finding a nice-looking example in the wild. That issue certainly defies the numbers you'd expect for the mintage that size (there are at least twice as many 1894s in AU out there, for example, despite it having a mintage roughly half that of the '06-O). I've done some very limited dabbling in trying to find raw (but problem-free) dimes in AU range, with mixed-to-poor results. I'd be curious to know if, in your experience (and any other seasoned raw Barber dime hunters), do you still see quite a few out there (including common dates you may not be looking for), or are good raw pick-ups in ever-dwindling supply? It seems like the sporadic caches I see at local shows consist of details coins about 99% of the time. Wondering, too, if what you see leaves you convinced that there are still quite a few un-slabbed examples still waiting to be discovered (or periodically delivered up from deep storage), or whether you think we are collectively at or near the 'last generation' to see many (or any) raw (but problem free) Barber dimes in AU or above?

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scodal said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Great new pick-up, Jeff! Finding any '06-Os whatsoever in AU is a very tall order (it's still an empty slot in my set), much less finding a nice-looking example in the wild. That issue certainly defies the numbers you'd expect for the mintage that size (there are at least twice as many 1894s in AU out there, for example, despite it having a mintage roughly half that of the '06-O). I've done some very limited dabbling in trying to find raw (but problem-free) dimes in AU range, with mixed-to-poor results. I'd be curious to know if, in your experience (and any other seasoned raw Barber dime hunters), do you still see quite a few out there (including common dates you may not be looking for), or are good raw pick-ups in ever-dwindling supply? It seems like the sporadic caches I see at local shows consist of details coins about 99% of the time. Wondering, too, if what you see leaves you convinced that there are still quite a few un-slabbed examples still waiting to be discovered (or periodically delivered up from deep storage), or whether you think we are collectively at or near the 'last generation' to see many (or any) raw (but problem free) Barber dimes in AU or above?

yes, a tough date, mu best are 2 in XF-40 or so.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

I still find decent to nice raw Barber Dimes at shows, but almost all the raw Quarters and Halves are problem coins. I've leaned that coin dealers are smart enough to know how to submit coins and realize they'll fetch far more dollars by getting them graded. The coins of value they have raw are ones that didn't grade or they know they won't make it.

My best luck has come from Jewelry Stores. Many people that inherit a collection don't know what to do with it and sell it to a Jewelry store. In many cases the store doesn't know about grading, they just sell them raw at a reasonable price. I also find jewelry stores holding coin auctions that can be fruitful. I enjoy the hunt.

• Options

Here's one of my recent failures from the grading room- a 1909 O Dime:

It came back in an AU Details- Scratched holder:

I didn't notice the scratch when I purchased it. My bad- my eyes got lost in the pretty colors.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    I still find decent to nice raw Barber Dimes at shows, but almost all the raw Quarters and Halves are problem coins. I've leaned that coin dealers are smart enough to know how to submit coins and realize they'll fetch far more dollars by getting them graded. The coins of value they have raw are ones that didn't grade or they know they won't make it.

My best luck has come from Jewelry Stores. Many people that inherit a collection don't know what to do with it and sell it to a Jewelry store. In many cases the store doesn't know about grading, they just sell them raw at a reasonable price. I also find jewelry stores holding coin auctions that can be fruitful. I enjoy the hunt.

I would not have considered jewelry stores to be good potential hunting grounds but that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the tip!

That's an interesting observation that raw populations of Quarters and Halves are generally tapped out while there are still some pick-up opportunities for Dimes. I suppose the value proposition of slabbing a common date Barber dime in AU50 is still not all that favorable yet relative to Quarters and Halves, but then again you wouldn't know it judging from the graded pop records of comparably-valued Mercury dimes, for example.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's one of my recent failures from the grading room- a 1909 O Dime:

It came back in an AU Details- Scratched holder:

I didn't notice the scratch when I purchased it. My bad- my eyes got lost in the pretty colors.

That's too bad. It's still a pretty coin though, and from the '09-Os I've seen a fairly well-struck example, too.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2018 12:58PM

Hmmmm... I suspect this is a typo! The PoP report shows 34 1906-O AU's which is more than the entire mintage of 1894-S dimes! :p

@scodal said:

@JeffMTampa said:

• Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2018 9:54PM

Glad you like the 1896 quarter Jedm. We got a great group of VF's in from one of our long time customers. He had a good eye. :)
    Jeff, Love the 06-O dime with that die polish on the reverse.

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

erwindoc - Congratulations on the wonderful 07-S half. It would go well with any other half.

boiler78 - Neat pattern.

Jeff - Nice find with the 06-O dime. IMO, also a tough find in quarters.

Pics for this AM, newp into Jim's box of 20 dime collection, PC40:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Here's another coin that came back from the grading room, a 1907 O Quarter. I knew the obverse was cleaned, but I purchased the coin for the mishap on the cheek (and wanted it in a holder):

This is very similar to the 1893 O Half I posted a few weeks back. My guess is it was a defective planchet and not a strike thru, but other opinions are welcome. The tear drop shaped depression tapers down the higher up the cheek it goes. The more the metal flowed the tighter the depression became.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff - Very nice 06-O Dime. I probably would have missed the scratch on the 1909-O too. It blends in with the toning like you said.

Are you going to Central States?

• Options

Jon - Looking forward to Central States. See you there perhaps.

Pics for this AM, newp from Doug, PC35:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@barberkeys said:
    Jon - Looking forward to Central States. See you there perhaps.

That would be great. Maybe all of us Barber guys could meet at the Barber club table at a certain time on Thursday or Friday.

• Options
    edited April 25, 2018 4:58PM

I WISH I could meet you all at the Central States Show (especially I'm from the Midwest originally) but I'm still a working man. No time for fun.

• Options

Jon - I don't think there is a barber club table.

Vern
    l
  • Options

Yes...I couldn't find one either. They must only do that at FUN.

• Options

BCCS has tables at a lot of shows, but not all. It would likely be a good one to be represented at, however.

• Options

I picked up a Barber Quarter for my variety set a couple of weeks back at a Heritage Auction, an 1892 MS 62 with a Triple Die Reverse (FS-801):

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    I picked up a Barber Quarter for my variety set a couple of weeks back at a Heritage Auction, an 1892 MS 62 with a Triple Die Reverse (FS-801):

Very nice Half Jeff......I would love to have that for my Variety Type Set. I picked up a nice 1908-S Dime PCGS58 from David Kahn for my Everyman Set. Will put up a pic when I get home.

• Options

Jeff - Congrats on the newp TDR.

Had a great time at Central States, and found a couple of long sought coins for my collection (unfortunately, none were barbers). Did acquire this nice dime from Jim, tho. PC45.

Also thought I'd include this prize from the show, PC-65RB:

Vern
    l
  • Options

My new purchase for the Everyman set.

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys said:
    Craig - I agree, the 07-S is a "lovable" date (and one of my favorites).

Tim - Nice dime newps.

Pics for this AM, from Paesan's Stash, PC50:

Do you own that 07 S?

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Very nice Half Jeff......I would love to have that for my Variety Type Set. I picked up a nice 1908-S Dime PCGS58 from David Kahn for my Everyman Set. Will put up a pic when I get home.

It is a quarter

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Jon - Congrats on the 08-S newp.

ilike - No, Paesan had it.

Pics for this PM, newp into Jim's box of 20, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello my coins friends. It's been a long time since I've been around. I just returned from a wonderful trip to the Central States show, hosted by Barberkeys. Lots of great coin conversations and show and tell. Most of my personal acquisitions were seated quarters. I did get a nice 03-O PCGS AU-55 from Vern, and I'll also post a 1919-D PCGS VF-35 that I wasn't really looking for, but I think is choice.
    Paesan

More coins, less government.
  • Options

All nice coins Paesan. I wonder if we passed each other at CS. :)

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2018 12:24PM

I am having a bit of a dilemma on which one of these quarters to keep for my Type Set;

They both have their strong points...perhaps I should flip a coin? List them both and whatever sells first...goes away?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a type coin I like the P!

@oih82w8 said:
    I am having a bit of a dilemma on which one of these quarters to keep for my Type Set;

They both have their strong points...perhaps I should flip a coin? List them both and whatever sells first...goes away?

• Options

I like the obverse of the "O" and the reverse of the "P". :)

• Options

Dimeman- I'm sure we passed each other several times!

OI- I vote for the 92-O

Here's my 1897 Half PCGS AU-57.9995

• Options

@paesan said:
    Dimeman- I'm sure we passed each other several times!

OI- I vote for the 92-O

Here's my 1897 Half PCGS AU-57.9995

Beautiful coin. 1897 is one of my favorite years for all Barbers. I still need one of the Dime varieties for the year.

• Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:

MFH would've said the P. That blue on the reverse would've made him un-swayable.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim, I agree with Mike that Mike Hayes would have liked the '92-P... but I am with Lenny on retaining that '92-O.

Lenny, Vern, What a nice '03-O quarter! Quality.

Vern, Jim, The '96-S dime is a tough date to find nice. What you shared in the recent post has to be one of the better specimens!

• T

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you. The 96-S dime came from Brian Greer. He is a great guy to deal with. My intention is just aquire what I believe are the 20 toughest Barber dimes

• Options

Mike V...I agree with your comments, and I like the idea of listing them both. Makes the decision easy and puts a little cash in the bank for better stuff.

Pix for today: My spare 1905 quarter PCGS AU-55

• Options

oih8 - Tough call, like the strike on the P.

Paesan - Your 57.9995 half has to be a pop 1 in that exclusive grade. You could start a good bench with your spare '05.

Pics for this PM, another tough dime in Jim's top 20, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Nice Barbers guys.

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys said:
    Jon - Congrats on the 08-S newp.

ilike - No, Paesan had it.

Pics for this PM, newp into Jim's box of 20, PC45:

I knew the 1907 S PCGS AU50 Barber Quarter wasn't yours. I was just confused why you posted it because it's my coin haha. I bought it from Lenny.

• Options

Here's my dirty little 1907-S quarter PCGS AU-58..

• Options

ilike - I posted it because I took the pictures. Unless an owner tells me not to, I post. Glad you have the coin, it's one of my favorite barber quarter dates.

Paesan - Nice original coin.

Another 07-S, Doug found it, and I'm lucky to have it in my collection, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Another spare, and a MFH special. RIP buddy! PCGS AU-58

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys said:

Paesan - Your 57.9995 half has to be a pop 1 in that exclusive grade. You could start a good bench with your spare '05.

I like the '97-O dime as a date. Here is one of mine in PC45:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Beautiful coin. 1897 is one of my favorite years for all Barbers. I still need one of the Dime varieties for the year.

I have an S/S dime for 1897 but I think you are stating something that is labeled on the PCGS holder.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

@sedulous said:

@barberkeys said:

I like the '97-O dime as a date. Here is one of mine in PC45:

@DIMEMAN said:

I have an S/S dime for 1897 but I think you are stating something that is labeled on the PCGS holder.

Yes, I need one of the 1897-P RPD's.

• Options

Here's a No Headlights special, except it's not so tough. PC-55.

• Options

That’s a great look on the 07 dime. So few out there that haven’t been messed with. Congrats
    Jim

• Options

Tim - More detail on your PC-45 97-O dime.

Paesan - You '07 is the perfect look for my tastes.

Pics for this PM, another PC-45 dime:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Forgot I already posted that one, here's another 45, from Jim's collection:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Looked awhile before I found the 1900-O above. Tougher than some people think. Came from Brian Greer. Definitely a guy you need to have your want list.

• Options

@paesan said:
    Here's a No Headlights special, except it's not so tough. PC-55.

nice little die chip under the nose on the top lip

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file