Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    I posted a couple of "flawed" Barber Halves in seperate threads on this site over the weekend, but I thought I would post them here as well. Here's a raw '97 O Half that I purchased a few weeks back:

It appears to be a delamination. Aside from the big chunk missing on the reverse at 5:00 there's loose laminated bits at around 11:00. Aother ideas on this one?

Jeff, That bit to the right of the mintmark interests me as well. Perhaps the planchet wasn't annealed properly. Very curious. https://youtu.be/mBjD9N1APsw

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting the video link, Tim. Very interesting!

Yes, the mark near the tail is a delamination as well. It's my understanding that as the metal strip gets rolled thinner and thinner it gets more brittle at each pass. My guess is the separation of layers in the metal occurred during this process. It's possible the planchet wasn't properly annealed as well, shattering the layers. It sure would be fun to go back in time and see what was going on at the New Orleans Mint.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pics for this PM, PC53:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

I recently purchased a PC58 1907 S Quarter. Has not been to CAC. yet

• Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

The 1907-S a "lovable date"! :):)

Craig

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

I wasn't planning on dropping out. I've been searching for one in a 58 holder for many years.

In hand, the coin looks like any other 64, but of course what holds it back it the weakness in the hair.

Thought this was cool. Hoard of 1883 Liberty Head Nickels being sold at CSNS:

https://coinweek.com/auctions-news/curious-hoard-of-1883-no-cents-liberty-nickels-offered-at-csns-by-heritage-auctions/

Nice hoard- It's nice to see it will be sold as a lot to retaqin the integrity.

I wonder if PCGS can come up with a 297 slot holder for it?

I fired my guns, but they only shoot BB's.

Hey, With this AU 1908-D dime, I think I just picked up a variety (FS-10-1908D-306)

Also, picked up the 1910-D dime PC58 from SBG's recent auction - needed to add to my Everyman

Nice additions!

Jon says it is not 306. Still a nice '08-D dime however.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    I posted a couple of "flawed" Barber Halves in seperate threads on this site over the weekend, but I thought I would post them here as well. Here's a raw '97 O Half that I purchased a few weeks back:

It appears to be a delamination. Aside from the big chunk missing on the reverse at 5:00 there's loose laminated bits at around 11:00. Aother ideas on this one?

Here's a 1893 O Half I purchased a few months back and submitted to PCGS. I was a bit surprised it came back straight graded:

My best guess is the planchet was improperly annealed (leaving it too hard) and struck in a previously bulged (Mumps) die. The metal was too hard to properly flow into the expanded "Mumps" voids, and left a ripple effect. Any other ideas on this one?

Looks like a struck thru

Frank

BHNC #203

• scodalscodal Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Hey, With this AU 1908-D dime, I think I just picked up a variety (FS-10-1908D-306)

Also, picked up the 1910-D dime PC58 from SBG's recent auction - needed to add to my Everyman

Great pick up on the 1910-D! Finding one at all is a bit of a challenge, much less locating a nicer specimen. Other than the 09-D it has proven to be the toughest Denver issue of the series here (even more so than the 07-D, despite all of those barrels supposedly lost in the Gunnison) and, in my opinion, is underrated (and, thankfully, under-priced) in AU grade.

Craig - I agree, the 07-S is a "lovable" date (and one of my favorites).

Tim - Nice dime newps.

Pics for this AM, from Paesan's Stash, PC50:

Vern
    l
    edited April 6, 2018 9:16PM

@scodal said:

@sedulous said:

Great pick up on the 1910-D! Finding one at all is a bit of a challenge, much less locating a nicer specimen. Other than the 09-D it has proven to be the toughest Denver issue of the series here (even more so than the 07-D, despite all of those barrels supposedly lost in the Gunnison) and, in my opinion, is underrated (and, thankfully, under-priced) in AU grade.

Scodal, I actually like the '07-D a whole lot. The '09-D is not bad either. Both of these, for me, are resting in 45 holders:

1907-D Barber Dime, PCGS XF45 (undergraded IMHO):

1909-D Barber Dime, NGC XF45 but cracked and waiting a return from the PCGS grading room (PCGS XF45 anticipated).

• T

Here is another '07-D where the digital picture looks pretty good but the end result turned out as Details-Cleaned AU.
    I was hoping this would upgrade my '07-D in XF45 - but alas, bringing in this dime from the wild didn't meet the muster.

• T

Nice dimes.

I purchased a couple of MS Barber Halves recently, one a 1911 S in an ANACS MS 62 holder. I plan on submitting it to PCGS so I cracked it:

It looks like a 62 to me with a good strike.

Scodal, I actually like the '07-D a whole lot. The '09-D is not bad either. Both of these, for me, are resting in 45 holders:

1909-D Barber Dime, NGC XF45 but cracked and waiting a return from the PCGS grading room (PCGS XF45 anticipated).

• T

Nice dimes! I like the look of both, and judging from the pic would agree that the 07-D could find it's way into a PC50. May be worth trying again at some point. That's too bad the potential upgrade came back as Details - the toning on the reverse is pretty. I recently had a disappointing outcome like that with a 97-S that had previously straight graded as a PC50 but cracked and came back AU details. As for the 10-D, 09-D and 07-D, I have examples of all three, too, but like you am still on the lookout for upgrades...

Scott

@sedulous said:

@scodal said:

@sedulous said:

• T

Look at the front of the bust on the '07 D.
    It looks like a mirror image of the bust and the point of the bust, plus another neck line in front of the regular one.

Do you see it?

Frank

BHNC #203

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Opinion for the masses here, what things do you look for on a mid-grade circulated Barber that helps you decide grades between 35/40/45?

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you had paid me a visit in Knoxville(not coming next year) I could have shown you with many examples and much commentary!

@erwindoc said:
    Opinion for the masses here, what things do you look for on a mid-grade circulated Barber that helps you decide grades between 35/40/45?

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wing tip detail
    Line under the headband

Another MS newp; I cracked this out of an ICG MS 64 holder:

@Treashunt said:

@sedulous said:

@scodal said:

@sedulous said:

• T

It looks like a mirror image of the bust and the point of the bust, plus another neck line in front of the regular one.

Do you see it?

Wow... yes I do. Going to have to pull it out and go to a microscope.

@sedulous said:

@Treashunt said:

@sedulous said:

@scodal said:

@sedulous said:

• T

Do you see it?

good luck.

Frank

BHNC #203

The thread has slipped; here's a coin I've had for a few years:

edited April 12, 2018 3:40PM

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:

I love this 1908-O Half!! <3

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now your talkin!

@erwindoc said:

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

To each his own of course. But that’s what a high grade circ. Coin should like
    Very nice 08-O half.

erwindoc - Any more, I am less concerned with whether a mid-grade barber is technically a 35/40/45, and more concerned with its look. Coins in this grade range ought to have my kind of XF look. I still look at the detail of liberty and the line under it, and at wing tips as Jim mentioned, but that's only perhaps 40% of the grading decision to me. A great look can move a coin with 35 details to a 40, or 40 details to a 45 in my book. But it's always just an opinion

Jeff - Nice toughie, your 93-S half.

Pics for this PM, newp into Jim's No Headlights collection, PC58:

Vern
    l

@sedulous said:

@Treashunt said:

@sedulous said:

@scodal said:

@sedulous said:

• T

Do you see it?

Treashunt,

Ok. Finally got to the microscope on that PC45 1907-D. Sorry to deflate, but I don't see anything exciting except for maybe that minor die crack eminating or protruding from the base of the bust.
    The rest is just perfectly positioned scratches IMO...

@sedulous said:

@sedulous said:

@Treashunt said:

@sedulous said:

@scodal said:

@sedulous said:

• T

Do you see it?

Treashunt,

Ok. Finally got to the microscope on that PC45 1907-D. Sorry to deflate, but I don't see anything exciting except for maybe that minor die crack eminating or protruding from the base of the bust.
    The rest is just perfectly positioned scratches IMO...

rats!

Frank

BHNC #203

@DIMEMAN said:

@erwindoc said:

I love this 1908-O Half!! <3

Thanks!!!

edited April 14, 2018 1:59PM

@barberkeys said:
    erwindoc - Any more, I am less concerned with whether a mid-grade barber is technically a 35/40/45, and more concerned with its look. Coins in this grade range ought to have my kind of XF look. I still look at the detail of liberty and the line under it, and at wing tips as Jim mentioned, but that's only perhaps 40% of the grading decision to me. A great look can move a coin with 35 details to a 40, or 40 details to a 45 in my book. But it's always just an opinion

Jeff - Nice toughie, your 93-S half.

Pics for this PM, newp into Jim's No Headlights collection, PC58:

Wow Vern and Jim, Beautiful picture of that '99 Half Dollar. I love the color and natural-looking surfaces! Quality.

edited April 15, 2018 8:31PM

$510 to purchase a '92 Type 2 quarter in 58+ from David Kahn? wow. Bold.

Moving up the thread...

Have any of you seen the expanded 20th Century Type Capital holder? It has a Liberty Nickel slot and the three dime-quarter-half Barber slots. Picked this one up reasonably from a local coinshop in new condition while they were attempting to do some spring cleaning. Fun to fill. Gold will be more of a challenge.

It reminded me of Jeff's pictures when he visited the New Orleans Mint. Those Capital Holders were so nice holding the Barber coins. Some day it would be nice to get permission from them to get detailed, close-up pictures of each coin and share them back with the curator for their website. Jus' thinkin'...

Tim - $510 for the 1892 qtr. The 58+ grade is another of the smart marketing moves our hosts have made. Have fun with your capital holder.

Pics for this AM, newp from my get together with Doug and Jim a week and a half ago, PC40:

Vern
    l

@barberkeys said:
    Tim - $510 for the 1892 qtr. The 58+ grade is another of the smart marketing moves our hosts have made. Have fun with your capital holder.

Pics for this AM, newp from my get together with Doug and Jim a week and a half ago, PC40:

Very nice, my best in my 'hoard' is a VF+

Frank

BHNC #203

Glenn - Very cool indeed. Good to hear from you.

Frank - Thanks, my hoard is now up to 3.

Pics for this PM, newp into Jim's box of 20 collection of dimes, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2018 8:53AM

I am fairly certain that I have shown this one before, but I received notice that CAC liked it too!

image by @robec

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

@oih82w8 said:
    I am fairly certain that I have shown this one before, but I received notice that CAC liked it too!

image by @robec

Wow, and double wow! That is one gorgeous dime. Congratulations on the certification. It looks like it could use a little green on the slab to complete the full spectrum...

@barberkeys said:
    Glenn - Very cool indeed. Good to hear from you.

Frank - Thanks, my hoard is now up to 3.

Pics for this PM, newp into Jim's box of 20 collection of dimes, PC50:

Nice

• jedmjedm Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2018 1:37PM

My latest. Not a rarity, but a pretty one, I think. Ebay bucks helped me get it at half price.

• Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Jedm - great looking coin. That coin has a great look and certainly one I would put in my set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file