Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's another new pickup back from our hosts:

This one came out of an ANACS 62 holder, cracked out and submitted raw. One never knows what will come out of the grading room...…..

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find Jeff.

• Options
    scodalscodal Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

Here's another new pickup back from our hosts:

This one came out of an ANACS 62 holder, cracked out and submitted raw. One never knows what will come out of the grading room...…..

Great result, Jeff. Do you find that it yields better outcomes for you to crack coins and submit them raw vs. crossing over from the prior TPG?

• Options

@scodal said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Great result, Jeff. Do you find that it yields better outcomes for you to crack coins and submit them raw vs. crossing over from the prior TPG?

Not necessarily- there are ups and downs both ways. There's more potential risk but also more potential reward by cracking the coins out of their slab. PCGS could bag a coin that was in another 3rd party straight grade slab; it's happened to me. On the other hand I find it difficult to believe the graders aren't aware of the grade on a slabbed coin.

I typically leave NGC coins in the slab and submit for crossover, but I typically crack out other slabs and submit raw. Just my thing.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

@scodal said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Not necessarily- there are ups and downs both ways. There's more potential risk but also more potential reward by cracking the coins out of their slab. PCGS could bag a coin that was in another 3rd party straight grade slab; it's happened to me. On the other hand I find it difficult to believe the graders aren't aware of the grade on a slabbed coin.

I typically leave NGC coins in the slab and submit for crossover, but I typically crack out other slabs and submit raw. Just my thing.

Interesting - I am more apt to crack out ngc....feeling that it is a red flag to PCGS. I have sent many anacs in and often get upgrades when left in the holder. Like you say.......you never know.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, being selective related to the coin, not the slab, tells me what to crack out. For instance, I purchased a 64 NGC 1942-P common date Walker only because I saw it was much nicer. This coin ended up in a PCGS 66 slab and I sold it to obtain additional $$ vs. purchase price. In another case, I had an NGC-slabbed Barber coin that I cracked and it came back Details grade from PCGS. So, do your best to identify and understand the coin, the slab will follow.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

Hey, Somebody in the past asked me about a Wayte Raymond album for Barber Quarters... noticed David Lange put one up for sale... https://www.ebay.com/itm/RAYMOND-NATIONAL-COIN-ALBUM-FOR-BARBER-QUARTERS/322516892387?hash=item4b17813ae3:g:tZkAAOSww9xZGMVK

• T

• Options

Thank you all for the feedback!

I sent 9 coins (all in NGC slabs) to PCGS for crossover in May, so it will be interesting to see how that approach bears out. I suppose if the results are disappointing then I'll still have the options to either retry in-slab or to crack them out and submit them raw.

Earlier this year I submitted another 7 coins (all ANACS-certified) for crossover; 5 crossed (all at the same grade) and 2 were rejected (only one of those came as a surprise), which I thought was a fairly decent result.

The biggest fail I've had so far was a pretty 1897-S in a PC50 holder that I felt was undergraded. I cracked and submitted it raw, only to have it come back AU details. In retrospect I wish I had gone with the regrading option. While I can grudgingly understand the grader's logic (however nitpicky), I still suspect that another reasonable pair of eyes could reach a different conclusion and so I may try to crack it again and spring it from purgatory at some point. I guess this cuts to your point, Tim, that the decision to crack or not is, to a certain extent, coin-specific.

Scott

• Options

I purchased a very nice original 95-O dime in an NGC AU 53 holder. Tried CAC, it didn’t pass. So I sent it to PCGS to cross at minimum 53. Came back as a 55. Then it passed at CAC. So go figure. Never know what another person’s opinion will be.

• Options

@No Headlights said:
    I purchased a very nice original 95-O dime in an NGC AU 53 holder. Tried CAC, it didn’t pass. So I sent it to PCGS to cross at minimum 53. Came back as a 55. Then it passed at CAC. So go figure. Never know what another person’s opinion will be.

You can't ask for a better success story than that! The important thing is that the right decisions get made, eventually. ;-) Definitely an inspiration to keep trying if at first you don't succeed, although some coins provide an easier cost-justification for doing so than others.

• Options

@scodal said:

@No Headlights said:

You can't ask for a better success story than that! The important thing is that the right decisions get made, eventually. ;-) Definitely an inspiration to keep trying if at first you don't succeed, although some coins provide an easier cost-justification for doing so than others.

Yes sir. The potential reward needs to justify the cost

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think I've posted this one before, so to keep this thread on the first page....

• Options

That’s the look. Very nice

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff - Nice look on your 11-S half. I'd like to find one with the right look in 40 or 45.

jedm - Good look.

Pics for this PM, another of Dan's recent returns from our hosts, PC55:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2018 10:25AM

This was a recent pickup, in a PC61 first generation holder. Although I'm primarily working on building an AU set, I've picked up a few low-MS exceptions like this one along the way. To me, this looks like it has a sufficient amount of circulation hits and/or trace wear on both sides that it could just as easily be a nicer, strongly-struck 58 (and maybe, just maybe, even a '+' candidate). To that end, I'm pondering whether to take the potential hit on list 'value' and submit it for a regrade. Curious to get some opinions on the likelihood of success, as well as the relative wisdom or folly of even trying such a thing in the first place.

Also curious whether any of you have had luck generally with 'back-sliding' coins from low-MS limbo to high-AU? I'm still a relative newbie so I hope you'll collectively pardon the ignorance, but in spite of being technical Uncs it seems to me like most of the 60s and 61s out there (esp in old ANACs slabs) are either net-graded misfits or very nice but minutely-circulated specimens, and that the true dividing line for Uncs really begins at MS62.

Scott

• Options

Scodal-

Although some members of the thread would consider your thoughts as blasphemy, I personally embrace your thinking. Barbers in 61/ 62 holders tend to be shunned by most collectors, while Barbers in 58 holders tend to be treasured. I've had a lot of success purchasing graded barbers in 61/ 62 holders and cracking them out for submission. Sometimes they come back in a 58 holder, sometimes they upgrade. It's rare that they actually downgrade without coming back in a 58 holder.

The trick for me is to look carefully for a luster break on the cheek- those have the greatest success of being placed in a 58 holder. Your '95 S Dime doesn't seem to have a break in the luster from the provided photo, however. My guess is it would likely come back in a 62 or 58 holder; I would consider it a win either way.

The only reason I wouldn't crack it out is the first gen. holder- they're becoming rare!

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

coin looks undergraded

Rob
  • Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Excellent photo BTW

Rob
  • Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    Scodal-

Although some members of the thread would consider your thoughts as blasphemy, I personally embrace your thinking. Barbers in 61/ 62 holders tend to be shunned by most collectors, while Barbers in 58 holders tend to be treasured. I've had a lot of success purchasing graded barbers in 61/ 62 holders and cracking them out for submission. Sometimes they come back in a 58 holder, sometimes they upgrade. It's rare that they actually downgrade without coming back in a 58 holder.

The trick for me is to look carefully for a luster break on the cheek- those have the greatest success of being placed in a 58 holder. Your '95 S Dime doesn't seem to have a break in the luster from the provided photo, however. My guess is it would likely come back in a 62 or 58 holder; I would consider it a win either way.

The only reason I wouldn't crack it out is the first gen. holder- they're becoming rare!

I couldn't agree more with this post.

There are some truly wonderful coins to be found in 61 and 62 holders. I think too often some collectors focus on the number on the grading insert rather than on the coin itself.

Great looking coin in a 1st gen holder? I say keep it as is.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options

@Redglobe said:
    Excellent photo BTW

I only wish I could take coin photographs like this, but I'm working on it...until then, and barring receipt of any cease-and-desists, I'm treating auction lot photography as being included with the buyer's fee. This photo comes courtesy of the expert photographers at Goldberg Auctions, to whom I should have given proper attribution at the outset.

• Options

Thanks @JeffMTampa and @BarberFanatic for the perspectives. I agree that a move in either direction would be a great outcome although viewing it in hand I think you're right about the unbroken cheek luster (thanks, too, for the grading tip!). If it comes down to a choice between a 62 or a 61 first gen (the only one in my set), then I think I'm perfectly content sticking with the latter for now. Interestingly, the MS61 Barber dime pops have actually shrunk over the last year while 58 and 62 pops keep rising, which could suggest that we're not the only apostates out there.

• Options

Hey, keep the first gen holder. Those are gaining in their own noteriety and value too. My opinion.

• Options

Does anyone know what happened to Darrell? Looks like he hasn't been on the forums since June 4.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Second barber for the type set. Now I just need a crazy toned half to finish these out.

• Options

@Tetromibi said:

Second barber for the type set. Now I just need a crazy toned half to finish these out.

Cool toning... looks like Liberty is caught in a downpour on the obverse! Anyone have an umbrella? :D

• Options

@Tetromibi said:

Very pretty Dime! :)

• Options

@BarberFanatic said:
    Does anyone know what happened to Darrell? Looks like he hasn't been on the forums since June 4.

Darrell was put on probation here at the Boards; apparently for a political rant. All his sets have been removed from the Registry, I don't know if by his choice or not. It looks really odd to see my Everyman Half set as the number 2 set knowing Darrell's is much nicer...…...

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@BarberFanatic said:

Darrell was put on probation here at the Boards; apparently for a political rant. All his sets have been removed from the Registry, I don't know if by his choice or not. It looks really odd to see my Everyman Half set as the number 2 set knowing Darrell's is much nicer...…...

Wow, OK. I guessed I missed all the fireworks.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BarberFanatic said:
    Each of us has that one coin that we consider the centerpiece of our collection...

• For some of us, it's the most expensive coin we've ever purchased (or the one that's worth the most).
    • For some of us, it's the most jaw-dropping attractive coin we own.
    • For some of us, it's a coin that was given to us by a relative that got us started in coin collecting.
    • For some of us, it's a coin that used to belong to a friend who is no longer with us.

For several years I've struggled to identify that one "centerpiece" coin as I've wavered back and forth between several coins of great beauty and meaning to me. My struggle ended yesterday with this purchase:

That's a fantastic looking centerfold... err centerpiece!

• Options

@Tetromibi said:

Beautiful toning and an interesting specimen - nice pick up!

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

@BarberFanatic said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@BarberFanatic said:

I don't think he was put on probation. He willingly left and vowed never to come back. He also took down his sets willingly.

• Options

scodal - I'm in the crack out and submit raw camp.

Tetromibi - Nice look for number two.

Cary - What a wonderful, eye-appealing key. Congratulations on the acquisition. Interesting thought about a collection's centerpiece. Hmmmmm.

Pics for this PM, from Dan's recent submission, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@LogPotato said:
    I don't think he was put on probation. He willingly left and vowed never to come back. He also took down his sets willingly.

Whoa! Willingly left and willingly took down his sets. I wonder what happened. I heard through the grapevine that he had alienated a lot of collectors (myself included) over the last several years. I wonder if things finally came to a head.

• Options

@LogPotato said:

@BarberFanatic said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@BarberFanatic said:

Looks like I got the story wrong.

All his sets (that I knew of) have been taken down, but oddly enough one of his sets showed up in the "Featured Digital Albums" section of the Registry set splash page last week. I wonder how that works?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BarberFanatic said:

@LogPotato said:

Whoa! Willingly left and willingly took down his sets. I wonder what happened. I heard through the grapevine that he had alienated a lot of collectors (myself included) over the last several years. I wonder if things finally came to a head.

Cary! You know what! I didn’t think anyone would post something that would make me post again! But you certainly did!
    1st off…..the reason I left the forum had nothing to do with the back and forth between forum members. It was because of the unfair bias of the moderation here.

So!...Lets talk about your beef with me. You sold me a large group of nice Barber Half’s as a deal. I had previously bought many nice coins from you for my collection and paid you all the money (Way over PCGS Priceguide).
    The group you sold me that caused our alienation as you put it I didn’t need for any of my sets. I was buying them to resell obviously for a profit. At the time I was spending around 50K per year attending coin shows. Solid 10%+ cost to me if I sold on ebay.

I would wager I paid you somewhere between 25 - 50% more than any other dealer in the country would have paid you…100% more than any dealer at our little local show!

Obviously to you it is a sin for a dealer to make a profit! As for the grapevine you mention which is news to me! Our other local big collector and I have done at least 10K between us in the last year. He understands the costs involved setting up at shows…consigning to auctions…or selling on ebay. Obviously you do not!

I’m sorry you took my joke the wrong way. I will regret that forever. It seems it has certainly cost me a good friend.
    I will keep the high road here and not air any dirty laundry!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

Cary! You know what! I didn’t think anyone would post something that would make me post again! But you certainly did!
    1st off…..the reason I left the forum had nothing to do with the back and forth between forum members. It was because of the unfair bias of the moderation here.

So!...Lets talk about your beef with me. You sold me a large group of nice Barber Half’s as a deal. I had previously bought many nice coins from you for my collection and paid you all the money (Way over PCGS Priceguide).
    The group you sold me that caused our alienation as you put it I didn’t need for any of my sets. I was buying them to resell obviously for a profit. At the time I was spending around 50K per year attending coin shows. Solid 10%+ cost to me if I sold on ebay.

I would wager I paid you somewhere between 25 - 50% more than any other dealer in the country would have paid you…100% more than any dealer at our little local show!

Obviously to you it is a sin for a dealer to make a profit! As for the grapevine you mention which is news to me! Our other local big collector and I have done at least 10K between us in the last year. He understands the costs involved setting up at shows…consigning to auctions…or selling on ebay. Obviously you do not!

I’m sorry you took my joke the wrong way. I will regret that forever. It seems it has certainly cost me a good friend.
    I will keep the high road here and not air any dirty laundry!

Relaxation therapy, dude. Relaxation therapy.

Funny how you claim you will "not air any dirty laundry" and yet that's precisely what you just tried to do. Unlike you, I WILL maintain the high ground and not divulge the actual nature of our disagreement... because it's NOBODY'S BUSINESS.

You know, Darrell, whether you believe it or not, I was actually just concerned about you. That's it. I was curious what happened to you and was trying to find out what had happened. Somebody offline mentioned something about possible family health problems, another person said you got pissed about some political postings, another person said that several collectors became angry with you and that drove you away. All I was trying to do was find out what the heck was going on.

Sorry my concern offended you. I won't make that mistake again.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BarberFanatic said:
    Each of us has that one coin that we consider the centerpiece of our collection...

• For some of us, it's the most expensive coin we've ever purchased (or the one that's worth the most).
    • For some of us, it's a coin that was given to us by a relative that got us started in coin collecting.
    • For some of us, it's a coin that used to belong to a friend who is no longer with us.

For several years I've struggled to identify that one "centerpiece" coin as I've wavered back and forth between several coins of great beauty and meaning to me. My struggle ended yesterday with this purchase:

you suck!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:

@BarberFanatic said:

you suck!

This is meant as the highest possible compliment.

Unless it is no longer used here.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Darrell & Cary - Whoa.

Frank - I think it's still the highest form of compliment, and certainly applicable. Once again, Cary, great addition.

Pics for this PM, another from Dan's recent submission. This one came back details, scratched. Note the 03-S above with the scratches came back with a straight grade. Roll them dice.

Vern
    l
  • Options

@barberkeys said:
    Darrell & Cary - Whoa.

Frank - I think it's still the highest form of compliment, and certainly applicable. Once again, Cary, great addition.

Pics for this PM, another from Dan's recent submission. This one came back details, scratched. Note the 03-S above with the scratches came back with a straight grade. Roll them dice.

Wow, you have got to be kidding... scratched? the light horizontal one on the neck? nice coin... undeserved?

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Wow, you have got to be kidding... scratched? the light horizontal one on the neck? nice coin... undeserved?

As somebody else said earlier in the thread with respect to my undergraded 1900-O...

"grumpy grader"

• Options

@LogPotato said:

@BarberFanatic said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@BarberFanatic said:

I hate to see this. Darrell is a very nice guy that I see and talk to every year at FUN. I hope he is there this coming Winter FUN.

• Options
    edited July 22, 2018 5:04PM

@BarberFanatic said:

Those are 4 good reasons... my 5th 'centerpiece'-reasoning is to have an exceptional quality, low pop, original Barber coin rarely seen... irrespective of cost value or being real looker.

The coin @BarberFanatic displayed is a really nice centerpiece coin.

• Options

Whoa... what happened. PCGS price guide for a 1907-S quarter in 58+ just jumped from $400 to $1350 overnight... more than 200% gain! who owns that coin? handsome uptick.

• Options

@Labelman87 said:
    It is with a heavy heart and much sadness that I must report the death of Mike Hayes this morning. He was a great friend to many of us and I can't begin to tell how much I will miss him. I really don't know what to say but I wished to let everyone know this terrible news.

This is very difficult.

It's the one year anniversary of Mike's passing today; I still think of him daily. He was a real influencer on my Barber path, and a good friend. Left a glass in his honor tonight.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@Labelman87 said:
    It is with a heavy heart and much sadness that I must report the death of Mike Hayes this morning. He was a great friend to many of us and I can't begin to tell how much I will miss him. I really don't know what to say but I wished to let everyone know this terrible news.

This is very difficult.

It's the one year anniversary of Mike's passing today; I still think of him daily. He was a real influencer on my Barber path, and a good friend. Left a glass in his honor tonight.

Will do Jeff. Mike was a great guy and great friend. Several years I got to celebrate his birthday with him because it fell real close to the FUN show. I miss the jabbing we use to give each other on our age. I just miss him terribly. Great guy and he loved his Barbers. I sure would like to get a few of his coins for keepsakes. Really sad day when we lost Mike. :'(

• Options

Tim - There's a light vertical scratch on the 12-S as well. Still nothing compared to many I've seen in straight holders.

RIP Mike. You left us way too soon.

Pics for this PM, my last acquisition from Mike. It's certain to be in my collection until my heirs disperse it, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@BarberFanatic said:
    When I first got into Barbers back in the 90s, Mike was one of the first people I met who shared my passion for them (the other was Randy Holder). Needless to say, we hit it off immediately! I am proud to be the caretaker of two of his former coins:

The first one is a 1907-O Barber Quarter PCGS MS63:

The other is a 1909-S Barber Quarter PCGS MS63 (image by Mike Valente):

Those are 2 BEAUTIFUL Barber Quarters! <3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file