Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys said:
    Thanks Craig. Wonderful eye-candy.

Best coin show in the eastern Iowa, southern Wisconsin, western Illinois area took place today. The nicest part of this great hobby is sharing it with good friends. (And I'll wager there were more nice original barber and seated coins there than in all the dealer cases at the ANA).

Well, I know which one is Vern. But I don't know who the other five guys are.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know who Lenny is, but not Vern. Will someone help us identify the faces?

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018 12:57PM

Vern is in the middle wearing the slate blue-gray polo shirt and shorts.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    scodalscodal Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

Wow @Labelman87, those are some beautifully-toned quarters! Eye-candy, indeed - thank you for taking the time to share pics of some of your particularly lovely ladies. As usual, I am in awe by the spectacular specimens you all have collectively assembled.

Ditto @robkool - love that 1902! Very interesting toning on your dime and such vivid color. Cooler still is that it was a raw pick up. You and @JeffMTampa make it look easy...

This is the latest addition to my set. Maybe not quite as stunning as Craig's quarters, but I love the full spectrum toning on the obverse and she's very pretty in hand...

• Options

@barberkeys said:

Best coin show in the eastern Iowa, southern Wisconsin, western Illinois area took place today. The nicest part of this great hobby is sharing it with good friends. (And I'll wager there were more nice original barber and seated coins there than in all the dealer cases at the ANA).

Vern, thanks for posting this pic of all of you. It seems like most of my enjoyment of our shared affliction occurs in relative isolation. There are a few wonderful dealers who are genuine enthusiasts out here on the West Coast, but I've had the privilege of meeting very few fellow collectors. I have made partial converts of my children (my daughter in particular) and my wife still likes me in spite of the hobby, but aside from those limited interactions and my family's tolerance the 'pursuit' typically amounts only to so much screen time... To see the camaraderie extending beyond the Thread was a very cool reminder that it is not an isolated pastime! Hope one of these days I'll get to meet more of you in person.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the left: Lenny, Milo, Vern, Doug, Alex & Jim.

scodal - nice obv color.

Pics for this PM, another from Milo's recents, PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scodal said:

@barberkeys said:

Vern, thanks for posting this pic of all of you. It seems like most of my enjoyment of our shared affliction occurs in relative isolation. There are a few wonderful dealers who are genuine enthusiasts out here on the West Coast, but I've had the privilege of meeting very few fellow collectors. I have made partial converts of my children (my daughter in particular) and my wife still likes me in spite of the hobby, but aside from those limited interactions and my family's tolerance the 'pursuit' typically amounts only to so much screen time... To see the camaraderie extending beyond the Thread was a very cool reminder that it is not an isolated pastime! Hope one of these days I'll get to meet more of you in person.

When can I go? I want to go next time being from the central midwest! - Tim

Another toughie added to my XF BQ set...

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

Was in Colorado Springs, CO last week... saw the Money Museum and went a couple of streets over to Hallenbeck's Coin Gallery... picked up an XF-AU '16-S common date dime (which I actually needed and was missing from my XF dime set). I haven't found the time yet to take a decent picture... shows up here a bit dark but it does have nice color:

• Options

scodal - Our little group has come together a little bit at a time, over the past decade, usually starting with communications relating to a transaction on ebay. I'm guessing as time goes on, you'll meet some collectors the same way. I'm sure there are many on the west coast.

Tim - I'll let you know when the next one comes up. Nice toughie newp BTW.

Pics for this PM, another from Milo, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this PM, from Milo's recents, PC-58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@ARCO said:
    Recent for me. Nice color and nice price.

Very nice Tyler!

• Options

Tyler - Nice newp.

Cary - Wonderful "tarnish", and on a tough date besides.

Pics for this PM, another recent from Milo, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Thanks, Vern, for the background as well as the encouragement! I hope you're right about other Barber collectors on the West Coast. It'd be great to meet more.

Good grief, Cary: your 1903-S blows my mind. That is some of the most exquisite tarnishing ever to degrade an original surface!

• Options

Walt K, in North Carolina has found these pics of the lone 01-S in PC-58. Thanks Walt.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scodal - Unlike many of you I did not have the privilege of knowing Mike Hayes, but I can say I’ve learned a tremendous amount from his prolific postings (every bit as much – if not more - as I’ve learned from Breen, Lawrence, Flynn and others). I like to think through his writings that perhaps I managed to catch at least a fleeting glimpse of the person, mentor and fellow collector he was, and can understand why his passing prompted so many moving tributes (including the rededication of this thread).

Scott, thanks for the very nice comments about Mike Hayes. It was a privilege indeed. Mike was the best...he was so generous with his time. I ran every major purchase by him before I pulled the trigger. I sure miss him; I’m flying solo now, but he taught me a lot. Thank you Mike!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2018 9:09AM

Mike certainly continues to exert an influence on how I collect. I still remember the first time I checked out the Gingamax registry set, and the mix of feelings it evoked: on the one hand, I was awestruck by the beauty of some of the specimens he had assembled and was enlightened by seeing what was 'possible' to find out there, but for me it was also a bit deflating: the revelation underscored how little I knew at the time and, in spite of what I thought had been a thoughtful and diligence process, what a comparatively mediocre hodgepodge I had assembled up to that point.

My set, certainly in my opinion but probably by any objective measure, has improved as a result. I'll confess that I still consult Mike (and others) by way of their respective registry sets before I make most purchases. The guidance is still just as good now.

On a related note, does anyone know what has become of his collection? Out of respect for Mike I have been reluctant to broach the subject up until now, but it has been more than a year since his passing. I suspect Mike himself would not have waited as long to pose the question with the curation of so many beautiful coins at issue. Has the torch been passed to some of his friends and colleagues? Does it remain hidden in deep quarantine? Curious if anyone, particular those of you who were close with him, has any insight as to its present (and future) status...

• Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

@scodal et al, Mike had consigned a chunk of coins to HA just before he got really sick. Most of what was left was passed to a young cousin of his that Mike had been grooming as a collector and showed interest. These included many coins that had been collected by Mike's father and grandfather.

The real question is, what happened to the pink marble table decoration depicting two pigs in a... coital... pose that Mike displayed above his kitchen sink???

• Options

Thanks for the info @valente151. I didn’t even know those came in marble...

Hopefully his cousin will cherish the incredible gift that’s been bestowed on him. If, on the other hand, he decides to liquidate the collection to help fund his acquisition of porcine figurines, I’m sure there will be plenty of collectors here ready to assist.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2018 9:04PM

There is a nice coin shop in Branson, MO if you ever stop by. Ask to see Joe. Picked up some Barber pieces while I was there. He has some nicer grade stuff but he doesn't keep it out so you need to ask to look at boxes. Here is a common date '07-P half I picked up:

• T

• Options

Here is another Missouri acquisition... an 1892-O quarter in AU. In the pic, you will see what I believe to be a die chip near the numeral 1 and lower bust.

Question: My coin is a Type 1 coin which I think can be tough for an O-mint: more rare than Type 2?

Philadelphia 1892's seem tougher to find in Ty1 than Ty2. What about S-mints... Type 1's more rarely seen than Type 2's as well? Do any of you have a better feel for this breakdown?

• T

• Options

@barberkeys said:
    Walt K, in North Carolina has found these pics of the lone 01-S in PC-58. Thanks Walt.

Wow Vern, looks a little blotchy in my view. Does anyone we know have the fortunate position to currently own this coin? Expensive and tough in the utmost degree! Good to see what it looks like. Thanks Walt!

• Options

@sedulous said:

@barberkeys said:

Wow Vern, looks a little blotchy in my view. Does anyone we know have the fortunate position to currently own this coin? Expensive and tough in the utmost degree! Good to see what it looks like. Thanks Walt!

My guess is the coin looks much better in hand- the photo doesn't present it very well. Any guesses what that coin would bring at auction?

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Here is another Missouri acquisition... an 1892-O quarter in AU. In the pic, you will see what I believe to be a die chip near the numeral 1 and lower bust.

Question: My coin is a Type 1 coin which I think can be tough for an O-mint: more rare than Type 2?

Philadelphia 1892's seem tougher to find in Ty1 than Ty2. What about S-mints... Type 1's more rarely seen than Type 2's as well? Do any of you have a better feel for this breakdown?

• T

Nice example! In my limited experience the type 1 of the O and S mints are tougher for sure... still looking for upgrades of both actually. The P mint (though I am not very confident in my estimation) seem to me to be roughly equally represented. ???

• Options

@jedm said:

@sedulous said:

• T

Nice example! In my limited experience the type 1 of the O and S mints are tougher for sure... still looking for upgrades of both actually. The P mint (though I am not very confident in my estimation) seem to me to be roughly equally represented. ???

Equally represented on the P-Mints I would agree in high-end AU on up. In low grade AU and more worn circulated the Ty1 I believe is much tougher to acquire (my experience). Thanks for the thoughts on the O and S-mint Ty1's being scarcer. Does everyone else feel the same way?

• Options

Mo MO... a 1910-P dime

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 10-P dime. Nice pick up

• Options

Tim - Between the Type ones and twos, my opinion is the type one 92-S is the rarest by a fair margin. And I agree, the 01-S in 58 looks blotchy to me also. Don't know anyone who has seen it in hand.

Jeff - I'd guess the 01-S in 58 would be in the $40-45,000 range in today's market, unless it looks a whole lot better in hand than the pics indicate.

Pics for this PM, key date 58 that Walt was kind enough to pass along to me when he sold his barber quarters:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Another MO... this one has a few hairlines but good detail. The 1911-P dime might look better with a proper and decent picture:

• T

• Options

Craig - The first time I met Mike was at the August 2011 ANA. It was a pleasure to meet him, after many communications on-line. His passion for coins was immediately evident. I won four of his quarters at the auctions, but the coin that stands out in my mind was his 05-O half. It was a stunner, with a tremendous strike for an 'O'. My friend Keith bid strong for it, but did not prevail.

Tim - I'm betting your '11 dime looks better than those pics.

Pics for this PM, a newp for Paesan, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2018 8:35PM

@barberkeys said:
    Craig - The first time I met Mike was at the August 2011 ANA. It was a pleasure to meet him, after many communications on-line. His passion for coins was immediately evident. I won four of his quarters at the auctions, but the coin that stands out in my mind was his 05-O half. It was a stunner, with a tremendous strike for an 'O'. My friend Keith bid strong for it, but did not prevail.

Tim - I'm betting your '11 dime looks better than those pics.

Pics for this PM, a newp for Paesan, PC58:

Consistent everytime in surface color, stike, and quality guys. Nice job! and nice pics Vern.

Vern, like with your comment "Tim - Between the Type ones and twos, my opinion is the type one 92-S is the rarest by a fair margin" do you have a similar opinion on the '92-O?

• Options

Tim - I don't think the 92-O type 1 is quite as rare as the 92-S (in relation to the type 2), but that's not based on a lot of sampling.

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this PM, another recent acquisition of Milo's, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2018 10:32PM

As I was working on improved pics for my recent acquisitions, I noticed doubling in some of the letters of DOLLAR on the reverse of the '92-O Ty1 BQ. The 1910-P dime had obverse date doubling as well with slight doubling above the 9 easily seen... something above the 0 and a bit of shifting around the 1. For the 19 portion, I have a better pic (upload tomorrow).

A bit better pic of the '11-P...

Milo, Such a great job picking out nice coins! Vern, thanks for your thoughts on the '92 Type 1 and 2's.

• T

• Options

Ok, As discussed, here are a couple of close-ups on the 1910-P dime:

• T

• Options

The more I zoom in on the reverse detail of that 1892-O quarter Type 1, the more it looks like natural lettertype around the lettering - perhaps not doubling / machine doubling. I guess from this improved pic(s), you decide:

• Options
    edited September 9, 2018 1:31AM

I'm guessing the doubling on the '92 O reverse is shelf/ machine doubling due to the flatness. Since the doubling only occurs in "DOLLA" of Dollar I have trouble understanding how it could be machine doubling- I would think all the lettering would show the same effect. Perhaps others with more knowledge can chime in?

• Options

Tim & Jeff - I think that's machine doubling on the 92-O, caused when there's a slight movement of the planchet during the striking process, or a minor bounce of the dies. I'm also not sure how that only shows up on part of the periphery of a coin.

Pics for this PM, a Milo newp, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this PM, newp for Milo, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

This mega thread could make a good coffee table book :)

• Options

Where have all the dimes been hiding lately? Despite what seems to be a bit of a lull in new inventory out there, I did pick this one up recently:

• Options

@barberkeys said:
    Pics for this PM, newp for Milo, PC55:

Wow. '07-D... a bit tougher in these higher grades.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received my 92 O Type 1 upgrade coin. Looks better in hand than the seller's pics I have here. Not such high grade as many of the examples here posted in the thread, yet I like the look and F-15 is an affordable grade for my budget.

• Options
    Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2018 7:34AM

I have a question for those of you on this thread with regards to varieties. I realize the variety survey for quarters is posted online and there are tons of them.

Are there certain varieties that are worth keeping an eye out for in any of the barber series? I only collect halves for the most part but have 100s of coins in all different denominations - mostly in low to mid grades. I always think about spending time to go through all of the coins, many of which were just accumulated as bulk purchases or with other coins. I figure I'd take a look for varieities if it makes sense to do so - but since I'm not collecting them specifically, I don't have any interest in looking for all of them.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT*** I realize that NGC has a bunch of them listed that they attribute. I'm asking more from the viewpoint of something that someone who collects them might be looking for and less from a value standpoint. I'd rather just give them to someone who collects varieties, if I have any, then leave them sitting in boxes/rolls.

• Options
    edited September 14, 2018 8:33AM

I can only speak to dime varieties, but as many here can attest there are a TON of varieties to be found (and new ones are still being discovered, often by people on this thread). That said, from the standpoint of raising value I can really only think of five where collector demand and/or rarity have had a substantial impact on price:

1892-O RPD
    1893/2
    1893-S/S/S RPM
    1901-O (over horizontal O)
    1905-O (micro)

If you haven't already I'd highly recommend checking out Kevin Flynn's "Authoritative Reference" books on the Barber series. The AR for Barber dimes has been a very helpful go-to when hunting for/identifying varieties from among my collection.

Barring that, I suspect @DIMEMAN and others here would be more than happy to assist in assessing those boxes and rolls...

• Options
    edited September 14, 2018 9:47AM

@scodal said:
    I can only speak to dime varieties, but as many here can attest there are a TON of varieties to be found (and new ones are still being discovered, often by people on this thread). That said, from the standpoint of raising value I can really only think of five where collector demand and/or rarity have had a substantial impact on price:

1892-O RPD
    1893/2
    1893-S/S/S RPM
    1905-O (micro)

If you haven't already I'd highly recommend checking out Kevin Flynn's "Authoritative Reference" books on the Barber series. The AR for Barber dimes has been a very helpful go-to when hunting for/identifying varieties from among my collection.

Barring that, I suspect @DIMEMAN and others here would be more than happy to assist in assessing those boxes and rolls...

On those dimes, I especially agree on these:
    1905-O (micro)
    ... nice starter list

One example of @DIMEMAN (Jon) where he was interested was when I came across original rolls of '47-P and D dimes... looking into varieties. In another instance, I was able to help Jon with a Barber Dime 1908-P AU certified as variety 303 from PCGS.

Jeff M. has been on top of 1909-S over Inverted S specimens in halves. Quarters... really like VF or better 1897-S Centered S's. No on seems to agree with me yet that there truly is an 1899-S over S repunching so I am on the lookout for evidence. Look up David Lange's "Those Shifty Mintmarks" article I believe you can locate off of N.G,,C's website for the quarters.

• Options

If you do look, you might try checking for 1909-O/Os and O/Ds, too. Breen describes an "O over reversed D." Lawrence corroborates it and adds a "O/O West," although he also speculates that they may be one and the same given a lack of available photo records. A dealer/Barber enthusiast at a local show had one last year, which he identified as a '1909 -O over horizontal O.' It was a nice specimen all around and the error had a cool appearance (fairly vivid, too, especially for an issue with a notoriously weak strike). What I recall seeing tracks with Lawrence's photo of the O/D (101).

With three exceptions I haven't aimed at varieties in my collecting although I have stumbled on some fun ones along the way, more or less by happy accident. From my limited vantage, though, seem like it is (or they are) a bit of a sleeper; it's a true RPM (from two mints!), never receives mention among the 'premier' varieties and, in any event, remains the only one I've ever seen.

• Options
    Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys - I'll start with the dimes and spend some time going through them looking for different varities before just boxing them up again. I really have to start going through stuff, as I've accumulated tons of random coins over the years that I know nothing about - so I figured I'd start with something I'm familiar with at least.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file