Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys said:
    Hope a few of you are doing well in Baltimore. Didn't make it this year.

Pics for this PM, a coin I bought in Baltimore a few years back, PC64:

Wow. Baltimore is my kind of town if they've got them kind of coins! Tough, nice Vern

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Tim.

Pics for this PM, from Paesan's Stash, PC53:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Challenge question: "What Barbers do you have that crossed over from NGC to PCGS but at a lower grade when you anticipated the same grade or higher than NGC's grade? Here is a date I like in the Barber Quarter series that is now PC30 but was N35:

• Options

@barberkeys said:
    Thanks Tim.

Pics for this PM, from Paesan's Stash, PC53:

Ooh, older, full round holder and not the three-prong hold type. Maybe a candidate for the current reconsideration special? At least 53+... very nice.

• Options
    edited October 29, 2018 3:02PM

Tim - Your 96-O looks like a 40 most days, can't imagine why they'd drop it to a 30.

Pics for this PM, the first coin that comes to my mind that relates to Tim's question, is my 98-S that was in N62 and crossed as same. Looked pretty nice to me for a 62.

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this PM, from Paesan's Stash, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Challenge Question: My next challenge is to see who cen show two coins that are virtually identical... perhaps "twins". The same look to the 2 coins, Perhaps, toning or color, grade, strike, etc... perhaps even coming from the same source if out of a hoard.

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

A couple of newps - one common date and one semi-key date:

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BarberFanatic said:

Very nice. Congratulations

• Options
    edited November 1, 2018 6:56PM

@BarberFanatic said:

Wow! Pretty close to being twin sisters there!

• Options
    edited November 2, 2018 6:41AM

A nice new find from the wild... what I believe to be a 1907-O/O Barber Dime. You can see the faint O way below the more pronounced O. Take a look at the pics and see if you concur. Haven't ever had one of these before...

• T

• Options

Regulated - What a beautiful proof.

Tim - Don't think I have any barbers that came out of the same place that look like they came out of the same place. And that's quite a spread on your O/O.

Cary - Great looking newps, congratulations.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coins fanatic.

• Options
    scodalscodal Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    A nice new find from the wild... what I believe to be a 1907-O/O Barber Dime. You can see the faint O way below the more pronounced O. Take a look at the pics and see if you concur. Haven't ever had one of these before...

Nice find! It's a very subtle RPM on that one, which I suppose is why it was only identified more recently (per Flynn the credit goes to Jack Beymer, who is twice my age and, apparently, has much better vision). The 07-O in my set is also one of this variety (without Flynn's photo I don't know if I would ever have even seen it). The telltale seems to be a bit of the rim of the first punch extending downward from the 5 o'clock position on the subsequent punch. It does look like there is something there at the 5 o'clock position on your specimen...

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Challenge Question: My next challenge is to see who cen show two coins that are virtually identical... perhaps "twins". The same look to the 2 coins, Perhaps, toning or color, grade, strike, etc... perhaps even coming from the same source if out of a hoard.

Don't take this the wrong way, and I don't mean to discourage this or other challenges (very cool idea btw), but a part of me is glad that no one has taken you up on it yet. For me, part of what makes a beautiful specimen a real gem (at all grades, tones, etc) is that, for whatever reason, it is truly, inimitably unique.

• Options

Another newp in PC40. An 1899-S quarter:

• T

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Nice coin and a "Nicer"date!!!
    I could see that as a EF 45

Rob
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2018 8:14PM

@Redglobe said:
    Nice coin and a "Nicer"date!!!
    I could see that as a EF 45

Here is my second XF... an XF45 by PCGS you can compare the previous one with. I like the color of the XF40 better I think but this one is not that bad either.

• T

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

My most recent addition: VF 35 1902 S. This is sort of the high limit to the grades in my set but I show them here for two reasons: to keep the thread on page 1 and to share with other collectors who may share my appreciation of the series in a more affordable (for me anyway) price range which I still find to be attractive.

• Options

Jed, Do you have an Everyman registry set? I am with you... I am fond of the mid-grade specimens like your PC35 '02-S. I have been on the same vein at the PC40 grade level... like "improving" that '99-S from 45 to 40. Here is my '02-S in PC40:

• T

• Options

@sedulous said:

• T

Turns out after receiving this coin in hand today it is NOT an O/O specimen. Disappointed... ughh.

• Options

@sedulous - Yes I do have an everyman's set NOW... thanks for asking and providing the motivation to set it up!

• Options
    edited November 5, 2018 10:39PM

@jedm said:
    @sedulous - Yes I do have an everyman's set NOW... thanks for asking and providing the motivation to set it up!

Wow. Your '92-S is fantastic! and you already have a quality '01-S in G4 CAC green bean! great start and thanks for sharing out there @jedm! - Tim

• Options

Tim - I like the look of your 99-S in 40 better as well. Never hurts to have 2 of a tougher date, tho.

jedm - Really nice collection you've got in your registry, thanks for sharing it. I see you've gone after the tougies first, a person after my own heart.

Pics for this PM, another from Paesan's Stash, that hasn't been seen here before, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@Grandpa1892 said:
    Has anyone ever done a "reed count" of Barber Coinage to see if the different mints used different reed counts as they did on the Morgan dollars? Sure would like to know..

@Grandpa1892 and reed counts... unsure if this has been done before on Barber dimes from an analytical perspective... but I did get this under my Snapple bottle cap today:

Perhaps this wouldn't take much time to do... I can look into it a little bit.

• T

• Options

Tim - Real facts, and it's good for you, a win-win.

Pics for this PM, another from Paesan's Stash, that I don't believe has been here before, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2018 4:51AM

Vern, Lenny, What a pleasing '07-S! Great color and pleasantness... very nice coin and picture.

I should maybe check some of these previous PCGS purchases. The aforementioned '99-S in PC45 had a True View...

Does anyone know why this TrueView is "in-holder" and not the "coin-only" image version? Is it the timeframe the coin was submitted? Perhaps they changed policy at some point.

• T

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Vern, Lenny, What a pleasing '07-S! Great color and pleasantness... very nice coin and picture.

I should maybe check some of these previous PCGS purchases. The aforementioned '99-S in PC45 had a True View...

Does anyone know why this TrueView is "in-holder" and not the "coin-only" image version? Is it the timeframe the coin was submitted? Perhaps they changed policy at some point.

• T

I know why. The PCGS offices in Europe do their imaging this way. That tells me this coin came from across the pond.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins guys! I was very fortunate to spend the better part of a week with Mike during the Fun show before he passed. It was the show in FT. Lauderdale. Jim was there also. We got to celebrate Mike's 70th Birthday which always feel close to the Winter FUN show. Anyway...I got to see ALL of his coins, not just the Barbers, in hand! what a sight to behold! He had complete collections of Barbers in AU and MS...plus a bunch of Seated coins for his grand mother and father's year of birth and also coin from his mother and fathers date of birth. One of those years was 1921, so there was a couple of nice Mercs. in his collection. Plus he had a set of Liberty Nickels. I will never forget that time I got to spend with my dear friend Mike. He was special and could always make you laugh. <3

• Options

Cary - Didn't know that.

Pics for this PM, another from Paesan's Stash, PC-53:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Another newp... 1894-S PC40...

• T

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2018 7:28AM

1908-O FS-301, VF-XF details (cleaned ?), but a most interesting RPD ~ first one I have ever seen and I like it !

Dan Fan
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Voyageur said:
    1908-O FS-301, VF-XF details (cleaned ?), but a most interesting RPD ~ first one I have ever seen and I like it !

very strong RPD, Nice!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@sedulous said:

• T

I had a feeling I was bidding against someone here. Enjoy!!

• Options

@jedm said:

@sedulous said:

• T

I had a feeling I was bidding against someone here. Enjoy!!

Sorry Jed, I hit the nice looking 40's pretty hard don't I!

• Options

Yes... I think that one would have been my first 40....I tend to stay 35 or lower.

• Options
    edited November 12, 2018 3:59PM

Tim - Nice newp.

Voyageur - Great find.

Pics for this PM, a V Nick, just for a change of pace, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@Treashunt said:

@Voyageur said:

Cool variety and nice specimen, too! Even for a RPD that’s a very dramatic offset...great find!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Voyageur said:

PM send.

• Options

Pics for this PM, another from Paesan's Stash, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

The 12-S appears to be the ultra rare "tracheostomy variety". :D

• Options

@Voyageur said:

That 8 over 8 is really impressive! Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    edited November 13, 2018 8:22PM

Earlier I put out a challenge for "close-to look-a-like" coins. I will do that here with these two pictures but will spice it up a little bit on guess-the-grade (GTG) but also guess-the-mint (GTM)!

No cheating... and I want to recognize David Lawrence (www.davidlawrence.com) Rare Coins whose team is currently auctioning these... Of these two 1896 obverses, not only GTG (both are PCGS-graded) but GTM (which one is the O and which one is the S)?

Both have a unique but slightly similar patina of green. I also realize you need to grade both sides of a coin so this isn't really a fair GTG... so don't guess if you feel so inclined based on this.

• Options

I'll take a guess that the top one is a 35 and an O mint. Bottom is a 40 and an S. I will now go peek and see if I'm close.

• Options

@barberkeys said:
    Tim - Nice newp.

Voyageur - Great find.

Pics for this PM, a V Nick, just for a change of pace, PC58:

Vern @barberkeys, That 1911 V-nickel has the perfect look for a 58. Appreciate you showing it to all of us!

• Options

Cary - Good one.

Tim - I'll go with jedm's grades, 35 and 40.

Pics for this PM, the coin my friend Keith saw on ebay many years ago, that started many wonderful relationships, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this PM, a tough beauty (IMO) from Jim's No Headlights collection, PC55:

Vern
    l

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file