Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love> @barberkeys said:

Cary - Good one.

Tim - I'll go with jedm's grades, 35 and 40.

Pics for this PM, the coin my friend Keith saw on ebay many years ago, that started many wonderful relationships, PC55:

Love it. That’s a coin you will look a long time for looking like that

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys said:
    Pics for this PM, a tough beauty (IMO) from Jim's No Headlights collection, PC55:

So nice...wow.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2018 11:13PM

@LogPotato said:

@barberkeys said:
    Pics for this PM, a tough beauty (IMO) from Jim's No Headlights collection, PC55:

So nice...wow.

Justin @LogPotato, I am coming to the end of my run of Barber dimes and quarters. Looking ahead to the halves, I am considering your wonderful eye around VF-type grades for an inspiration. Do you have a good place for image views showcasing your collection? Many of mine so far are not appropriately imaged socially or in 3rd party holders... a few I have shared here... perhaps yours aren't either projected digitally? or slabbed? or even shared here in the past to a full extent? I would like a better vision around your collecting grade ranges related to what looks good or what you might deem acceptable visually (only if you feel inclined to share your thoughts on that). Thanks.

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

@LogPotato said:

@barberkeys said:

So nice...wow.

Thanks Justin. Came from Dave Kahn a few years ago. One of my favorite coin dealers He is a class act in every regard. Has CAC approval also.

• Options

@No Headlights said:

@LogPotato said:

@barberkeys said:

So nice...wow.

Thanks Justin. Came from Dave Kahn a few years ago. One of my favorite coin dealers He is a class act in every regard. Has CAC approval also.

Well that is one nice '93-S half! Color is pleasing, seems like it has plenty of luster, and the strike is not all that bad either Jim @No Headlights. I have purchased from David Kahn twice and both times the transaction was pretty smooth with nice coins obtained on the receiving end.

• Options

Thanks again Justin
    Happy Thanksgiving

• Options
    scodalscodal Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

Among many other blessings in life for which I am truly grateful, I am also thankful for these new pickups. Both are NGC 58s but already off to our hosts for crossover. The 1908-O has proven to be a fairly tough one to find, nicely-struck/toned or otherwise (although fortunately, given it's scarcity in AU this issue is generally undervalued imo). It's even prettier in hand and represents a substantial improvement over the meh-burger in 55 that had previously occupied that spot. The 1902-O replaces a very pretty coin in the set, but one with a more conventional look. Couldn't resist the unusual toning and as a fan of zombie fiction, my daughter's observation that it looked as though Liberty had a bite mark on her neck kinda cinched it for me. We all have our triggers I suppose lol.

Anyhow, I hope you and your families are enjoying a wonderful Thanksgiving today.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one caught my eye and is an upgrade for my set. Gotta keep this thread on page one, right?

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Dimes and Quarter.

• Options

@jedm said:
    This one caught my eye and is an upgrade for my set. Gotta keep this thread on page one, right?

Jed, Wonderful quality with that '98-S. PC35?

• Options

Possibly a 30. Nice coin either way

• Options

Yep it's a 30. Thanks!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love those circ Barbers,

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

A wholesome, PCGS3 Barber Half.

• Options

@ARCO said:

Nice color on that low-mintage date ARCO.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ARCO said:

That's a really nice looking '14 P Half. The description says it's a "3"; I'm guessing it's not an AG 3 grade. Perhaps an AU 53? It looks like a 55/ 58 to me.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

Very nice. Congrats

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

My PCGS no cents PR 64 v nickel

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of nice coins posted lately.

Pics for this PM, newp into Milo's 100% Swede Collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2018 7:39PM

@sedulous said:

Justin @LogPotato, I am coming to the end of my run of Barber dimes and quarters. Looking ahead to the halves, I am considering your wonderful eye around VF-type grades for an inspiration. Do you have a good place for image views showcasing your collection? Many of mine so far are not appropriately imaged socially or in 3rd party holders... a few I have shared here... perhaps yours aren't either projected digitally? or slabbed? or even shared here in the past to a full extent? I would like a better vision around your collecting grade ranges related to what looks good or what you might deem acceptable visually (only if you feel inclined to share your thoughts on that). Thanks.

• Tim> @sedulous said:
      > @LogPotato said:
      > > @barberkeys said:
      > > Pics for this PM, a tough beauty (IMO) from Jim's No Headlights collection, PC55:
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      >
      > So nice...wow.

• Tim

Tim, I no longer collect, and I only own one or two coins from my previous sets. I sold the last of them recently. If you want to send me pics of a purchase or a possible purchase, I would be happy to give my opinion. As for my old coins, the pictures i had were pretty much lost with PCGS. I can gather them back but it would take some time.

• Options

Justin
    Good to know you still check in. Hopefully after an appropriate hiatus you’ll get the urge to collect again. You have a good eye

Jim

• Options

Thanks, Jim. I'll be around again. In my mid 30's. kids in the pre teens, I have more pressing matters than coins to care about at this stage of my life. :) But I am always lurking. :)

• Options

Justin - Very glad to see you check in every now and then.

Pics for this PM, a half that was in Justin's collection, PC-25 (was raw when I took the pics):

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this PM, a V Nick for a change, PC63:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this PM, from Paesan's Stash, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2018 1:08PM

Justin @LogPotato...

Tim, I no longer collect, and I only own one or two coins from my previous sets. I sold the last of them recently. If you want to send me pics of a purchase or a possible purchase, I would be happy to give my opinion.

Justin, Here are a couple of halves I have previously obtained... I am trying to right-orient the look of the collection and what is pleasing. I feel I need to splash in on the common-date side before obtaining semi-keys, etc. The look, referencing the '02-P and '09-P below, is what I know I would want out of my quarters - I am using that thinking-basis as a starting point. By the way, to everyone who collects Barber halves, how tough is it to get VF coins like this in the color shown? perhaps I was fortunate or maybe there are many others (considering these are somewhat common)...

• Tim

• Options
    edited December 6, 2018 1:25PM

Here is the '07-P in VF... again common. It did take me a bit of time to find these in this sort of condition...

Here is one NOT purchased but I am considering... similar to the '09-P obverse, the small bit of concern is related to the level of various marks exhibited as you see in the pic but it doesn't bother me too bad. Justin (@LogPotato), what do you think?

• Options

Those examples are to my eye, the kind I really enjoy! Thanks for sharing them.

• Options

Here is another half NOT yet purchased ('96-S). The obverse seems ok but would the reverse toning be considered a detriment?

• Options

Personally I would pass on the '96 S- it looks like it's been cleaned to me (although it may be in a straight grade holder). The others look nice!

The color you're looking for is very natural, so nice VF examples should be available in most dates (but some tougher dates might take years to track down).

• Options

I agree with Jeff’s comments on the 96-S. Cleaned, minor rim hits. Be patient. Like your other selections

• Options
    edited December 7, 2018 9:07AM

Jim and Jeff, Thanks for the feedback. Patience is tough.
    ps. '12-D Half holdered PC30 has now been purchased. - T

• Options

Improved the 1907-P Barber Half VF images today by taking new pics...

• T

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

My newest Barber half. First 1909-S owned above XF.

• Options

That's a great looking '09 S Half- what's the grade? It looks like it's a regular mm, not the inverted variety (but a bit tough to tell due to the image resolution).

Here's my stash of the same date:

I'm not trying to hoard- all three coins reside in different Registry sets.

• Options

When I see those beautiful halves I wonder why I gravitated towards the quarters instead....hmmm I don't have any idea to be honest!

• Options

@jedm said:

When I see those beautiful halves I wonder why I gravitated towards the quarters instead....hmmm I don't have any idea to be honest!

To solve your problem? collect both.

• Options

Lot's of nice barbers posted the past few days.

jedm - I agree with Tim, both if at all possible.

Pics for this PM, common date newp, but my kind of look, PC-55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't you just hate it when there are digits in the denticles on your dime ?

Dan Fan
  • Options

@sedulous said:
    Here is the '12-D in VF...

Wow, I didn't realize how big and beautiful these Barber Halves can project out from a third party holder. Just arrived today. It is almost like... ok, I'll say it... I didn't realize what I have been missing all these years going after the smaller stuff. I now see why you half guys love your coins!

• Options

Voyageur - Very neat digits.

Tim - Size isn't everything, LOL. Halves are nice, but Quarters Rule.

Pics for this PM, the King:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Hello all. I have taken several years off of collecting myself. I had a recent life changing event. My wife passed away suddenly. With the free time I have seemed to have found , I have had a spark in my old friend, collecting coins.
    I see that Mike Hayes has left us . Oh my what a shame. He showed my quite a few things, and really sparked my Barber Quarter collection.

I bought my self a birthday present, To upgrade my Mint set.

PC MS64

Hope to talk to you all soon.

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

KAJ1, my condolences. I’ve been married 24 years and I couldn’t begin to imagine your loss.
    Collecting lies within us for life, dormant awhile, waiting for an opportunity to be a rewarding pastime when we need one.
    Very good looking birthday present you picked up.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options

KAJ - Sorry to hear about your wife, hopefully reconnecting with the hobby will provide you with some small measure of comfort. You've really picked a nice half for a birthday present.

Vern
    l
  • Options

I'm sorry for your loss, the like on your post if most definitely for the coin and not for your reason for being gone from here for a while.

• Options

KAJ1
    Welcome back.

• Options

Pics for this AM, from Paesan's Stash, PC12:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2018 9:16AM

I just got this one TrueViewed which may help to sell it AU58 CAC.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2018 11:40AM

Is this just me or does anyone else think that the barber dime/quarter/half would have made great clad coins had they survived into the modern era? They're utiltarian, don't have high relief, were made to strike well within the technical limitations at the time which were more than what exists now. I've had that thought for a while now.

• Options

@olympicsos said:
    Is this just me or does anyone else think that the barber dime/quarter/half would have made great clad coins had they survived into the modern era? They're utiltarian, don't have high relief, were made to strike well within the technical limitations at the time which were more than what exists now. I've had that thought for a while now.

Charles is rolling over in his grave at the thought. 🙂

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file