Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@Treashunt said:

@barberkeys said:
    scodal - nice 97-O newp. Very tough IMO.

Tim - sometimes it's just the luck of the draw.

erwindoc - nice, original better date dimes haven't been down in the past 25 years, if one can find one to buy, in my experience.

Pics for this PM, I've been looking for early mint-marked dimes that look like this for years. Not many come along that are available for sale, PC58:

very nice!

I only have one that high a grade, but raw.
    It was a 58 that I picked up back in 2001. When you could still find 58's.

Can you show us a pic?

I can try, but my pictures generally suck, since my camera dies.
    Phones are okay, but just not as good.

As with tax season,. I'll give it a shot.

Frank

BHNC #203

• JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

For several years I've held three PCGS 1909 S Halves to occupy 2 slots in my various Barber Half Registry Sets:

• 1909 S AU55
    • 1909 S Inverted S AU 58
    • 1909 S Inverted S MS 64

The inverted S mm coins fit into the Everyman and Regular Registry sets, but I needed the regular mm example for the variety sets (to have both examples). About a month ago I purchased a standard mm 1909 S in a PC 58 holder- a nice looking coin. This addition now fills the slots in my registry sets that the AU 55 and inverted mm AU 58 occupied:

Both the AU 55 and inverted mm AU 58 will be up for sale to fund the purchase.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • seduloussedulous Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2019 3:20PM

@JeffMTampa said:
    For several years I've held three PCGS 1909 S Halves to occupy 2 slots in my various Barber Half Registry Sets:

• 1909 S AU55
    • 1909 S Inverted S AU 58
    • 1909 S Inverted S MS 64

The inverted S mm coins fit into the Everyman and Regular Registry sets, but I needed the regular mm example for the variety sets (to have both examples). About a month ago I purchased a standard mm 1909 S in a PC 58 holder- a nice looking coin. This addition now fills the slots in my registry sets that the AU 55 and inverted mm AU 58 occupied:

Both the AU 55 and inverted mm AU 58 will be up for sale to fund the purchase.

Sweet looking half dollar Jeff. I like that little bit of crescent tone on the obverse & reverse along with all of that booming luster! It must look amazing in hand.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an awesome half!

edited February 16, 2019 7:35AM

Speaking of halves, I am closer to the newbie-side than the experienced side. I think I can judge quarters better....

Remember from earlier, I purchased this '12-D in a VF30 PCGS holder:

Then you look at this coin I just received back from our host's grading room:

How in the heck is this '09-P a couple of grades lower? The hits on the cheek and laurel leaf areas require this to be a VF20? The '09 obverse seems stronger although the reverse seems weaker... What do you think?

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

09 halves are an animal all their own. The dies were unusual and they hold the Liberty full and bold much longer than a normal half
    This makes them somewhat difficult to grade using the normal methods. Almost need to ignore Liberty on circulated 09 halves. There is a nice write up on it in David Lawrence’s Barber half book
    Hope this helps. Love the look of your 12-D

Whats the grade on the 09? I was looking at the reverses and they appear very similar.

@erwindoc said:
    Whats the grade on the 09? I was looking at the reverses and they appear very similar.

PCGS VF20 Cert # 36722943.

• scodalscodal Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

Here is another new pickup, in PC58:

This one came up for auction in 2016 and I blinked, but was glad for the second chance when it popped up on eBay recently. Generally I feel like this kind of surface toning can really go either way for a coin, but IMO it's working for this specimen. The color is vibrant in hand and the pattern seems oddly appropriate for having survived an earthquake. Fortunately, its surfaces do not...

I like it and see why you grabbed it!

• JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a keeper- unless you want to sell it to me.

I love them Barber Halves.....

Camouflage look to it! whoa, how awesome is that.

@JeffMTampa said:
    That's a keeper- unless you want to sell it to me.

Thanks for the offer, but I suspect this one will take awhile to upgrade. :)

• barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice newps guys.

Pics for this PM, from my raw set, acquired in 1996:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys That one's got everything going for it in my opinion.

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

To keep this on page one.... Here's my latest addition:

Really nice Jed @jedm!

Vern @barberkeys, you do a great job finding and picking out nice coins.

edited February 22, 2019 8:05PM

@sedulous said:
    I found an 1899-P Barber dime in nice AU raw. Check out all the die cracks... a whole section die crack is in the northwest portion.

• T

This '99-P came back from the grading room as PC58.

• Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

It has been some time since I have posted anything, especially anything new. Part of the challenge has been my search for the perfect 1901-S and 1913-S Barber Quarter fit to my collection. I cannot remember how many years I have been searching. Be that as it may I thought that some might enjoy something posted that is a bit "different".

Back in my "very younger" days I had the good fortune to receive three Paramount coin lists, Numbers 7, 8 & 9. They contained several very rare coins but my purpose here is to highlight a few Barber pages. Hopefully, this will not be too boring. :) Enjoy.

Craig

@Labelman87 said:
    It has been some time since I have posted anything, especially anything new. Part of the challenge has been my search for the perfect 1901-S and 1913-S Barber Quarter fit to my collection. I cannot remember how many years I have been searching. Be that as it may I thought that some might enjoy something posted that is a bit "different".

Back in my "very younger" days I had the good fortune to receive three Paramount coin lists, Numbers 7, 8 & 9. They contained several very rare coins but my purpose here is to highlight a few Barber pages. Hopefully, this will not be too boring. :) Enjoy.

Thanks for sharing @Labelman87 it is really cool to see this snapshot in time of Barber collecting. I would have snatched up several of those dimes in a heartbeat, if only I hadn't been 3 months old at the time...

@sedulous said:

@sedulous said:
    I found an 1899-P Barber dime in nice AU raw. Check out all the die cracks... a whole section die crack is in the northwest portion.

This '99-P came back from the grading room as PC58.

Great find and result, Tim. Not so easy finding a problem-free 58 in the wild these days, especially a fun specimen like that.

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

That Paramount list a great archive.
    I wonder the path of their “MS70” 1896S Quarter and where it resides now and at what grade.
    I just BIN the #8 list on eBay for $8. Should be some fun reading, thanks for the inspiration.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that's a stunner!

@shorecoll said:
    How about an ex-mike coin for a Saturday?

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of my keys are PC30/35, that's a notable exception.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

My '05-P Liberty Head Nickel raw pick-up just came back from the grading room as PC 64...

• T

I like the nickel. Looks pretty well struck and without the dark marks, I bet it would have been a 65!

Lots of really nice barbers posted here in the past few days.

Craig - Neat old lists. Good to hear from you.

Pics for this PM, my first barber newp in too long, PC58:

Vern
    l
    edited February 27, 2019 8:40PM

@barberkeys said:
    Lots of really nice barbers posted here in the past few days.

Craig - Neat old lists. Good to hear from you.

Pics for this PM, my first barber newp in too long, PC58:

Looks like you have some date repunching there Vern.

• Tim

Vern - Real nice surface on that 98 dime. It has "the look".

Craig

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

@Labelman87 said:
    Vern - Real nice surface on that 98 dime. It has "the look".

I agree. Chalky, dirty white, pastel, I’ve even started calling them flagstone toned. I want to buy everything I see with that look in high AU grades. But having gotten a couple some time ago, I found that it’s often a lighting and image artifact.
    I always fear that it’ll just be a silvery looking coin when I get it in hand.
    But yes, that has “the look”!

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.

A chalky white obverse (viviano marble?) look that, unfortunately, I sold several years ago.

Craig

@Labelman87 said:
    A chalky white obverse (viviano marble?) look that, unfortunately, I sold several years ago.

That 04-O is a beauty!!

Tim - I see what you mean about the repunching, but it's just an effect of the picture. I'll post my own pics when I get back north to where my camera is.

Craig - I can see why you'd like to have that 04-O back, nice.

Pics for this PM, one of my favorite "looks", PC58:

Vern
    l

Verb - Not fair! Must be the date! :):):)

PC58

Craig

Newp... PC55

• T

edited March 5, 2019 7:15AM

Another newp... this one raw but fills a void. 1912-P dime... I estimate AU55 (if holdered as a 58, would only be on a good day)...

Once again, like the previous '99-P, notice the cool die crack at about 10 o'clock on the reverse..

• T

edited March 5, 2019 9:26PM

Here is another mid-grade newp. Although not that evident in the picture below, this one still has some luster remaining in and around the devices. 1898-P Barber Quarter in XF...

Craig - Too bad they don't have 'O's' on them. Or 'S's' even.

Tim - You're adding to your collection at a very snappy pace. Congratulations.

Pics for this PM, another look that's just right IMO, PC55:

Vern
    l

@barberkeys said:
    Tim - I see what you mean about the repunching, but it's just an effect of the picture. I'll post my own pics when I get back north to where my camera is.

I don't know Vern, you might want to take a closer look just on the lower side of the upper "9" loop.

edited March 9, 2019 7:01PM

Tim - I'll take a good look when I get back north to where my coins are. Thanks.

Picks for this PM, another coin with just the right look IMO, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@barberkeys said:

I don't know Vern, you might want to take a closer look just on the lower side of the upper "9" loop.

Looks like repunching to me.

Ver> @barberkeys said:

Tim - I'll take a good look when I get back north to where my coins are. Thanks.

Vern
    That 97-S quarter is a beauty

edited March 9, 2019 9:32PM

@barberkeys said:

Nice color Vern... consistent with the rest of your collection. A fine specimen for sure.

My '97-S also XF... I think I shared here a while back...

Vern's is a little nicer...

• T

Like the 97-S Quarters, very much, that were previewed. The 1909 date and mints are a frustration with me. See below:

PC 55

PC58

While I enjoy my 09-O Quarters in PC63 & PC64 I cannot, for the life of me, find the "right" AU 08-O since I sold this years ago.

Such is life!

Craig

@Labelman87 said:
    Like the 97-S Quarters, very much, that were previewed. The 1909 date and mints are a frustration with me. ...
    ... I cannot, for the life of me, find the "right" AU 08-O since I sold...

Such is life!

I assume you mean AU 09-O? that coin has what, three coins in AU per population reports? supply and demand tells me there are more collectors than coins! at that level and pop.

Best wishes on your "re"-search! sell me one when you find a duplicate please.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just won this last night on ebay. PCGS55 1906-S Dime with a little something extra in the MM. Had to step up big for this.
    Was I bidding against any of the Barber nuts out here. :o

Maybe an "Everyman" collector? I try to avoid AU58 graded coins for that reason.

@DIMEMAN said:
    Just won this last night on ebay. PCGS55 1906-S Dime with a little something extra in the MM. Had to step up big for this.

Wasn't me but I did see that auction heat up yesterday. Congrats on the pick up! Looks like she was worth stepping up over.

Seems like choice AU prices can be all over the map when a nice specimen is involved and there's a big jump between 55 and 58 list price, as there was here.

On the other hand, it's always good to see the market show a little strength for a pretty original coin.

edited March 11, 2019 9:14PM

@DIMEMAN said:

Jon, I didn't go beyond a lowly $14. just prior to that run-up. I was going reasonably big, however, on the '09-O dime... but you can't win the prize coming in at second place. A couple nice coins with Kahn there. '06-S Crazy mintmark... almost like an S over a flipped S.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file