• Options
    SrotagSrotag Posts: 23 ✭✭

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both great looking coins, David!

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

Thanks Jeff. Dime is Simpson 66CAC. Half is 65CAC, but several (incl MH, RIP) told me it's a 66 technically, but PCGS doesn't like "dark" coins--suggested I walk it thru. Let me know if you agree. See you in about 90 minutes!

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    Something different- in honor of the big quake 113 years ago please post a 1906 S Barber:

1906-S Barbers...

• T

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭

I've been a away for a bit. Good to see you back Darrell, you vowed to stay away but you were back in no time at all. :)

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭

BTW when I got on, I had 292 notifications. I'm guessing that's all the Barber posts I missed.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back!

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never owned a 1906-S Barber half above VF30. There are coins out there, but the eye appeal on most displeases me. I did buy my first Barber half in a long time: PCGS AU55

Goes along with my 1915 PCGS AU55

• Options

I've had this 1915 Half for several years, but in interest of bumping the thread I'll post it again:

I purchased the coin in a PCGS MS 62 holder thinking there was luster break on the cheek. I cracked it out and submitted it raw to PCGS; it came back in a 58 holder. At the time the coin was worth more in a 58 holder- not sure if that's still true.....

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got a wicked proof like 1892 quarter.

• Options

Wow

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

@ironmanl63 Reverse Hub I. Very nice.

• Options

@kbbpll said:

Cool. I am not familiar with the variety's. Any significance or just a cool fact?

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kbbpll are all 1892 proofs type 1 reverse?

• Options
    edited May 4, 2019 2:51PM

@ironmanl63 said:

@kbbpll said:

Cool. I am not familiar with the variety's. Any significance or just a cool fact?

Type I tends to be a little tougher than Type Ii. The quality of your quarter is not typical.

• Options
    edited May 4, 2019 3:01PM

"In early 1892, it was found that the quarters dd not stack properly. To correct this, Barber made slight adjustments to both sides" - Bowers' Barber Silver Coins. I think it falls under "cool fact". I'm not aware of any price guide splitting them out. Reverse Hub II the tip of the eagle's wing covers the crossbar of E in UNITED, and the legends are slightly farther from the denticles. Bowers indicates about half as many Type I in MS65 as Type II. Many were saved as souvenirs of first year of issue.

• Options

The coin is actually graded MS66+. It looks like a full cameo proof. Thanks for the info.

• Options
    edited May 4, 2019 6:52PM

@jedm said:
    @kbbpll are all 1892 proofs type 1 reverse?

Wow, what a great question. A short look around Heritage says that 1892 25c Proofs come in both Rev I and Rev II. Bowers says "100 estimated" for Type I, and "of the 1,245 Proofs struck this year, the vast majority have the Type II reverse".

The first Type I one I found on Heritage is NGC MS67* PL. @ironmanl63 apparently has PL too. Why would Philadelphia make proof-like? Enlisted the proof dies for business strikes? I find this interesting because 1901 dime proofs also have a mix of two reverse types.

• Options

@kbbpll said:
    "In early 1892, it was found that the quarters dd not stack properly. To correct this, Barber made slight adjustments to both sides" - Bowers' Barber Silver Coins. I think it falls under "cool fact". I'm not aware of any price guide splitting them out. Reverse Hub II the tip of the eagle's wing covers the crossbar of E in UNITED, and the legends are slightly farther from the denticles. Bowers indicates about half as many Type I in MS65 as Type II. Many were saved as souvenirs of first year of issue.

My pup (pick up point) is the first star in the reverse field to the viewer's left. It is either tilted or it's not for the prime Ty 1 and Ty 2 differences... to me, the star is much easier to distinguish quickly regarding the differences between both 1892 reverse types.

• Options

@sedulous I never would have noticed the star orientation. So much "secret" knowledge in coins. Thanks!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kbbpll said:
    @sedulous I never would have noticed the star orientation. So much "secret" knowledge in coins. Thanks!

I didn't know about the Star either. All I knew about was the wing and E.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been a while since I added a barber qtr to my collection (not from lack of looking tho). It's raw and probably will go to our hosts in a month or so. Any opinions on what it'll come back?

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Another PL Barber Quarter.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF30 because PCGS doesn't like rich toning. I give it a 35!

@barberkeys said:
    It's been a while since I added a barber qtr to my collection (not from lack of looking tho). It's raw and probably will go to our hosts in a month or so. Any opinions on what it'll come back?

• Options

Vern- nice coin; original. I’ll guess 40.

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

@barberkeys said:

Semi-key date with that look....VF 35

Nice coin

Rob
  • Options

@barberkeys said:

Vern, this thread had a discussion before about how rare (or even if they exist) a "clear" S quarter for 1914 San Francisco is. Some disagreed that there even was one... well!

Regarding the quarter's grade... I would compare it, perhaps to this '14-S CAC'd XF40...

Notice the much more common "mushy" S on this coin.

Comparing both my coin and your raw piece, yours looks like it would go about VF35 to me. The reverse looks similar like it might be somewhat similar to the XF40.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin Vern
    I would guess 35

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Vern, In today's world, despite the part worn out lower band (the new VF30), IMO the reverse will move the grade to a VF35. Again, in today's grading environment.

Craig

• Options
    edited May 12, 2019 6:22PM

Thanks for the opinions gentlemen, and Tim, how about that unusual clear S. I'm sure it'll get submitted in a month or so. Here's one that came from Doug last year:

I'm guessing the raw one will come back 35.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys said:

Nice 14-S....a very tuff date. It should go 34-40 IMHO.

• Options

1897-S quarter..... Feigenbaum's comments: "My favorite date. Where have they all gone? This coin is only available in AG to VG condition. The moment a Fine or better specimen comes on the market - even with problems - it is sold. A few years ago this date was priced little more than common in gem condition. Not anymore! Today, with common date gem quarters at $1,150 wholesale, the 1897-S is $5,200 and worth every penny. For the well-heeled, MS64 specimens are sometimes available. They have even come down in price since the recent recession. This is the last in the series to have a mintmark in the far right position. Also, the last of the rectangular style "S" mintmarks. All future "S" mintmarks are well rounded."

• Options

My ‘97 S Quarter found in the wild. Perhaps not beautiful, but very original.

• Options
    scodalscodal Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

Overall it has been a slow couple of months for new pick-ups, but I recently came across this 05-O in PC55. Not the strongest strike on it but she is very pretty in hand, and the addition complements the other 05s in the set well.

• Options

First is MS and second is circ, but both show the placement and shape of the mm very well. I have many Barber 25c, and while I knew about the change in mm placement, I didn't realize the different shapes of the mm's. Thanks, Sedulous for enlightening.

• Options
    edited May 21, 2019 3:25PM

Hey, What do you all think about this '96-P quarter in ANACS XF40 Small Holder?

My thoughts are that it has been in-holder for many years as a plus. Negative might be the blotchy-like toning (or) some might like the look of originality?. What do you think?

• Tim

• Options

From those pictures I would pass. Doesn't have the look I like at all. From the look in those pisctures it's certainly not an original coin.

@sedulous said:
    Hey, What do you all think about this '96-P quarter in ANACS XF40 Small Holder?

My thoughts are that it has been in-holder for many years as a plus. Negative might be the blotchy-like toning (or) some might like the look of originality?. What do you think?

• Tim
  • Options

srotag - Your 97-S in MS is a beauty.

Tim - I think your 96-P is cleaned.

Pics for this PM, newp into Elmo's collection, PC PRF-65:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi guys! I'm back!! Hope everybody is doing well. Going to catch up on things today and start posting a few coins.
    -Paesan

More coins, less government.
  • Options

Welcome back and hope you had fun!

@paesan said:
    Hi guys! I'm back!! Hope everybody is doing well. Going to catch up on things today and start posting a few coins.
    -Paesan

• Options

Srotag-I like your mint state 97-S quarter too. Here's my 97-S with a centered mint mark.
    Pix courtesy Barber Keys.
    Paesan

• Options

And one in my album.

• Options

Tim, I agree that the 1896 quarter looks cleaned. Here's a spare 1896 PC 40. Very nice in hand, but the pix are a bit dark to see. (Courtesy Barber Keys)
    -Paesan

• Options

Paesan - Good to see you here.

Pics for this PM, newp into Paesan's Stash, PC61, is the S/S:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

...Had to get the dust off and pull this out (it been here before, somewhere between 50 to 75 pages ago!)
    PC64 S/S

I couldn't get the magnifier to work but if you look at the mm closely.....

Craig

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Labelman87 said:
    ...Had to get the dust off and pull this out (it been here before, somewhere between 50 to 75 pages ago!)
    PC64 S/S

I couldn't get the magnifier to work but if you look at the mm closely.....

nice RPM

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Nice color Craig, thanks (again) for sharing!

• Options
    scodalscodal Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

@Labelman87 said:
    PC64 S/S

Some things bear repeating. Wow! That's a gorgeous quarter.

• Options

Pics for this PM, newp into Paesan's Stash, PC55:

Vern
    l

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file