Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

I posted a version of this image under the MS63 thread; figured I'd post here as well. It seems little known outside of the latest BCCS journal that there were actually three Barber dime reverse types. Previously, documentation said that "Reverse II" was introduced with a "thick ribbon" in 1901 (what I now call Reverse 3). However, the same design revision, without the thick ribbon, was actually introduced in 1900 across all three mints (what I call Reverse 2), was mixed with Reverse 3 (formerly "Reverse II") in 1901 across all three mints, and continued to be sporadically minted in San Francisco through 1905. And even more interesting (to me) - the 1900 Reverse 2 was "pre-released" in 1899 in Philadelphia. Below are 1899 Reverse 1 (left) and 1899 Reverse 2 (transition variety, right). Focus on the main vein of the left-most leaf, the veins in the right leaves, and count the corn kernels in the center row, and you will see it. The 1899 "Reverse 2" is much more scarce than the 1899 "original" reverse.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

kbbpll - Wonderful research.

Pics for this PM, another newp into Paesan's Stash, PC50:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Briefly mentioned earlier, I concluded a purchase earlier today of this 1892-O Barber Quarter with Clashed Dies. Per PCGS, the population is very low for "1892-O 25C Clashed Dies FS-901". There are 3 in AU-55, 1 in MS-63, and 1 in MS-64. There is no price guidance that I can see at this time on our host's site location for ValueView. I estimate this is a choice uncirculated specimen. What do you think? It is raw and I took a couple of pictures. Will send in with the next batch to our hosts at some point as a plan.

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

Tim - Neat die clash, but I think it's an AU.

Pics for this PM, another from Paesan's Stash, N-58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Just arrived. 1905-S 10c, NGC AU53. Not a pretty coin, but the last year of the San Francisco "thin ribbon" anomalies. Not easy to find (for me anyway). I estimate one die's worth.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2019 6:41AM

Hello all -

I haven't posted on this thread in a very long time, but it looks like the hardcore regulars, and some newer folks, are keeping it going strong.

Anyway, I wanted to know your thought on the 1903S Barber quarter.
    I was surprised to see PCGS has only cert'd ~40 coins in all AU grades.
    Wondering if this is fairly typical for the somewhat better date quarters, or is this a sleeper within a series full of tough issues in the upper circ grades?

My example - I know, not as crusty as many of you would like. Acquired from Lance and Ed Hipps about 10 years ago:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Hello all -

I haven't posted on this thread in a very long time, but it looks like the hardcore regulars, and some newer folks, are keeping it going strong.

Anyway, I wanted to know your thought on the 1903S Barber quarter.
    I was surprised to see PCGS has only cert'd ~40 coins in all AU grades.
    Wondering if this is fairly typical for the somewhat better date quarters, or is this a sleeper within a series full of tough issues in the upper circ grades?

My example - I know, not as crusty as many of you would like. Acquired from Lance and Ed Hipps about 10 years ago:

Nice pick up.

I have only one higher grade, listed as 60+ from a 2000 purchase.
    Perhaps I should look at it, I haven't seen it in 19 years.

:)

My next best is a nice VF then a F-12

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

kbbpll - IMO any 1905-S Barber, be it dime, quarter or half, is tougher to find than it's given credit for.

Walkerguy - I think nice 03-S quarters are very under-rated. (And I miss Ed Hipps).

Pics for this PM, the 03-S in my set, bought it in 2009 and haven't found one I like better (yet), PC61:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@barberkeys said:
    kbbpll - IMO any 1905-S Barber, be it dime, quarter or half, is tougher to find than it's given credit for.

Walkerguy - I think nice 03-S quarters are very under-rated. (And I miss Ed Hipps).

Pics for this PM, the 03-S in my set, bought it in 2009 and haven't found one I like better (yet), PC61:

Wow, sweet coin Vern.

Tim

• Options
    edited June 15, 2019 12:30AM

Frank, good detail on your '03-S. Not as frequently seen at that grade level. Here is my '03-S... she is a little dirty along with that nick in the shield but I do like the look at this grade level in PC35:

• T

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

All: Being well rested from a beach vacation I have just reviewed the 1903-S and mention of the 1905-s Barber Quarters. IMO very difficult to find in AU, almost no CAC's (if that is your "cup of tea"). Any grade of these two dates with a wow look are almost impossible. Good luck picking one off.

Below are poor images; both PC 58's.

Both were acquired several years ago, 2009 and about 2013.

Craig

• Options

Beauties Craig.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Quarters!

• Options

Just curious....who got the 1909-O Barber Dime PCGS58 CAC last night on ebay? I put in what I thought was a strong bid and got blown out of the water. :( It was a Beautiful example of a pretty tuff date. Congrats to who ever got it. My 55 will have to do for now.

• Options

Jon, It wasn't me.

Earlier today over lunch, I picked up a pleasing, gently used VF+ 1908-O Barber Dime from the local shop I sometimes frequent on occasion. Happy in that it was a date I needed even though I wasn't specifically looking for it at the time.

Although I will apologize for a poor picture in advance from my cell phone camera, I lightened it a bit and zoomed in around the date looking for repunching:

A small bit of repunching evidence can be seen I think in and around the 9, inside the right portion of the 0 as well as the 8.

• Options

Tip of the 1 too maybe.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

Very nice original 1900 Quarter there SHD!

• Options

Just arrived. 1902-S "thin ribbon", maybe makes AU50-53? 1902 saw SF finally "get with the program" and the vast majority are 1901 "thick ribbon" reverse design, but they still minted thin ones. Watched ebay, Heritage, Lawrence, L&C for 6 months with almost nothing, finally pulled the trigger on this raw one from epay. I guess I'm on a mission to put together an everyman's set of the scarcer oddball dime design varieties for 1899-1905.

• Options

I just received a note that PCGS is expanding the PL designation to all US coins? Some of you had some fabulous, and scarce to rare Barbers that were Prooflike. I don't know if that information is of interest or applicable to the Barber coins in your possession...

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe this '96 S Half might be a good candidate for the PL designation:

But I wonder if there's any real benefit to the designation?? Since it already has a CAC sticker a new holder would mean sending it back in. I'm getting lazier with age......

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they give registry owners a bump in points, like NGC does, it may be worth it to some people to resubmit coins.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    I believe this '96 S Half might be a good candidate for the PL designation:

But I wonder if there's any real benefit to the designation?? Since it already has a CAC sticker a new holder would mean sending it back in. I'm getting lazier with age......

That should PL, I really like it.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Jon - It wasn't me on the 09-O dime either.

Tim - Interesting on the PL. I wonder if collectors will find PL barbers more desirable than non PL's.

Jeff - Obv certainly looks PL.

Pics for this PM, newp this year, into Milo's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this PM, another recent newp into Milo's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2019 7:19PM

Somebody outbid me on eBay to take a nice 1900-P Barber dime that had a hidden date within the date:

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Somebody outbid me on eBay to take a nice 1900-P Barber dime that had a hidden date within the date:

Wasn't me.....where was it? Do you have a better pic of it?

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@sedulous said:

Wasn't me.....where was it? Do you have a better pic of it?

PM'd

• Options
    edited June 28, 2019 3:23PM

Guys, any other die markers for an 1893/92 Barber dime? A friend brought me one that he thinks is the variety. Its is probably G4 and has a fair amount of gunk in the lower loop of the 3. I can see what I could imagine might be a horizontal line there as well, but only if I hold it in the light at a certain rotation? If I took decent images Id post it. I may try later on to see what you think. What I am wondering about is the very small tail of metal going from the inner portion of the lower "3".

• Options

erwindoc - Don't know, my knowledge of varieties is extremely limited. I'm betting Jon (Dimeman) does.

Pics for this PM, another newp into Milo's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this PM, recent newp into Milo's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow those are some beauties! Now for something a little more worn..... I've been looking for just this kind of 96 O for a while now.

• Options

@jedm said:
    Wow those are some beauties! Now for something a little more worn..... I've been looking for just this kind of 96 O for a while now.

Nice coin Jed... keep up the good work!

Milo, '15-S with an interesting charcoal cloudiness to it. Fascinating. Nice luster underneath. Nice pics Vern.

• Options

A recent article showcasing a counterfit 1914 Barber Dime:
    https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7547/counterfeit-detection-july-2019/

• Options

Neat article Tim, thanks for posting.

Pics for this PM, a couple of raw coins from my friend Dan:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Tyler - Neat. Glad it wasn't made on a 97-O.

Pics for this AM, from Jim's retired set, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ARCO said:

Do you have any information about the counterstamp on this one? I did a quick google search and didn't find anything compelling. For a few moments I thought maybe someone connected to Ritchie Navigation, but got nowhere.
    Advertising ? I doubt he's just a person marking his own collection.

• Options
    edited July 20, 2019 9:35AM

@barberkeys said:

Me too.

I have Been searching twenty years for an 97-O above VF35 with eye appeal. I really dig your example. 1804 silver dollar or an original AU50 1897-O Barber half? Which to choose? I'd take the Barber Half...it is rarer! :)

• Options

<3

• Options
    edited July 26, 2019 8:39PM

jedm - Wm.M.Ritchie, hmmm.

Tyler - An XF:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bumping the thread up to the top, here's my other 1897 O Half:

When I purchased this one my other '97 O was a F12. I had been looking for an XF to AY example for many years. Within 6 months I was the proud custodian of an AU58.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

Beautiful Jeff! Great coins.

• Options

Great 97-Os Jeff. Been looking twenty years, nothing for me above VF35.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a few of the 97-O's I have I like!

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Working on my coin photography a bit!

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options

@ARCO said:

@barberkeys said:

Me too.

I have Been searching twenty years for an 97-O above VF35 with eye appeal. I really dig your example. 1804 silver dollar or an original AU50 1897-O Barber half? Which to choose? I'd take the Barber Half...it is rarer! :)

I agreed, very tough date.

I found one in 2006, which I have logged as an XF-40, I have never seen another one.

The price guide on this is way off.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO The 97-o in high grade circ. Is the toughest half in the set. The 04-S is overrated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file