Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Jon, et al. They want variety pics for the upcoming Cherrypickers release in 2020. Let's fill Briggs up with Barber material! Send pics to cherrypickers@whitman.com

Are these for the new varieties? If so...….which ones. I have been working with Bill Fivaz on pics for Mercs, & Roosies.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2019 4:05PM

I still miss Mike. We chatted a lot, especially about my 1921 D Walker NGC 64. He really liked it a lot. He had a super-nice PCGS 63. The year 1921 was either his Mom or his Dad's birthyear.....can't remember which. My Gram was born in 1922. God Bless you MFH. Someday, I will buy a nice MS PCGS Barber half, in your honor, and post it here. <3

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@Walkerfan said:
    I still miss Mike. We chatted a lot, especially about my 1921 D Walker NGC 64. He really liked it a lot. He had a super-nice PCGS 63. The year 1921 was either his Mom or his Dad's birthyear.....can't remember which. My Gram was born in 1922. God Bless you MFH. Someday, I will buy a nice MS PCGS Barber half, in your honor, and post it here. <3

It's still hard to believe Mike is gone. As I have stated before I stay with Mike at his house in Naples that Jan when FUN was in Ft, Lauderdale and also celebrated his birthday on that trip. Little did I know that was my last time with him and he would be gone that summer. :'( He was a great friend and a true collector who loved his Barbers. Someday when his collection comes up for auction I WILL get at least one of his Barbers. :)

@Walkerfan …….. 1921 was his Dad's Birthday and he had some nice 21's, I would love to have his 21-P & D Mercs.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jim - Yes, from Brian.

Pics for this PM, my 01-S half, PC-45:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys said:
    Jim - Yes, from Brian.

Pics for this PM, my 01-S half, PC-45:

That is the one!!! Someday when I find the perfect 01-S quarter we can talk about your half. Thanks for posting it Vern.
    Jim

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys is that a die crack on the obverse in the starts to the right of the bust?

• Options
    edited October 31, 2019 10:13AM

My latest purchase as a possible upgrade for the Dansco- my question for the experts here is: Concerning the black toning mainly on the reverse, is this to the point of being considered environmental damage? Be honest, this is not a high dollar item and I'm trying to learn.

Edited to add circle cropped photos.... finally figured out how to do that.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is and it isn't! My experience is PCGS grades a lot of coins like that but knocks the grade down a bit for the detail it has.

@jedm said:
    My latest purchase as a possible upgrade for the Dansco- my question for the experts here is: Concerning the black toning mainly on the reverse, is this to the point of being considered environmental damage? Be honest, this is not a high dollar item and I'm trying to learn.

• Options

@amwldcoin: Thank you for your comment! I know a little bit more than I did half an hour ago.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

1914 Proof Quarter & Half [total mintage = 380]
    Still looking for the Dime with similar color characteristics

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

Been a long time since I posted. Had to show this one to all. This was out of my registry set years back and the gentlemen I sold it to offered it back to me. No way I could pass this up.

Always loved the look and toning. I’m sure it’s not for everyone but one of my favorites from years back.

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    SrotagSrotag Posts: 23 ✭✭

All--
    As many of you know, I was good friends with Mike Hayes. He helped me manage my collection (crossing, reholdering, regrading and CAC'ing) and also searched, located and advised me on many of my purchases, especially Barbers. During our friendship, I had the opportunity to purchase many of his coins including about 30-40% of my Everyman Barber 25c/50c sets and a handful of my MS Barbers. He also vetted most of my other Barbers with his discriminating eye.
    My collection has now become too large and unwieldy to enjoy so, like Labelman, I have chosen to sell the majority of my coins, and focus on my NOLA set, Dahlonega mint set, Silver Dollars and $20 Gold. As such, I will be selling my Everyman Barber 25c and 50c sets as well as all other Barbers except MS NOLA coins.
    Lenny Rizzo will be selling the Everyman Barbers on his Ebay site in the upcoming weeks. If you have an interest in any of Mike's coins, please contact me or Lenny. And I apologize if anyone feels I am using the forum to sell my coins--however, I simply wanted to allow those of you who new and loved Mike as I did to have the opportunity to "keep his coins in the family", before they are listed to the general public.
    Best, SROTAG

• Options

"knew"--not "new". Spellcheck :s:s

• Options
    edited November 2, 2019 5:01PM

I think it's safe to say here we all miss Mike a lot! He was certainly a driving force behind appreciating nice original Barbers!

Any 58+ Barber Halves in your set? I will surprise you with my offer if I need them!

@Srotag said:
    All--
    As many of you know, I was good friends with Mike Hayes. He helped me manage my collection (crossing, reholdering, regrading and CAC'ing) and also searched, located and advised me on many of my purchases, especially Barbers. During our friendship, I had the opportunity to purchase many of his coins including about 30-40% of my Everyman Barber 25c/50c sets and a handful of my MS Barbers. He also vetted most of my other Barbers with his discriminating eye.
    My collection has now become too large and unwieldy to enjoy so, like Labelman, I have chosen to sell the majority of my coins, and focus on my NOLA set, Dahlonega mint set, Silver Dollars and $20 Gold. As such, I will be selling my Everyman Barber 25c and 50c sets as well as all other Barbers except MS NOLA coins.
    Lenny Rizzo will be selling the Everyman Barbers on his Ebay site in the upcoming weeks. If you have an interest in any of Mike's coins, please contact me or Lenny. And I apologize if anyone feels I am using the forum to sell my coins--however, I simply wanted to allow those of you who new and loved Mike as I did to have the opportunity to "keep his coins in the family", before they are listed to the general public.
    Best, SROTAG

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Any 58+ Barber Halves in your set? I will surprise you with my offer if I need them!

I left you a direct message

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    It is and it isn't! My experience is PCGS grades a lot of coins like that but knocks the grade down a bit for the detail it has.

@jedm said:

I have a similar response, color impacts a bit. Darker colors I have seen get a grade lower in used grades. As you already well know, eye appeal is a portion of overall grade.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

Always good to check your 90% silver stash and Barbers... nice '01-O over Horizontal O found!

• Tim

• Options

@PonyExpress8 said:
    Been a long time since I posted. Had to show this one to all. This was out of my registry set years back and the gentlemen I sold it to offered it back to me. No way I could pass this up.

Always loved the look and toning. I’m sure it’s not for everyone but one of my favorites from years back.

The oldies that come back around are always holding a special place in the heart. Nice coin GH!

• Options

@sedulous nice find on the 01-O/Hoz O. :)

• Options
    edited November 6, 2019 6:33AM

Technically even the slightest hint of toning is environmental damage! After all toning is oxidation or a reaction to the surfaces of coins. The question is when does the toning cross the line? I've seen worse than this graded problem free and less called Environmental damage!

@barberkeys said:
    jedm - Also, the dark surfaces on your '93 quarter is environmental damage IMO. Unless you like that look, I'd suggest going for an example with lighter surfaces.

• Options
    edited November 6, 2019 11:36AM

@jedm ... Suggestion on going for another example per Vern @barberkeys ... for the best coins with quality, I would order the opportunity to find them from likely (top of the list) to not as likely (bottom of the list) perhaps prioritized this way:

1. Friends you know... long-term friendships of other collectors in your area of interest who have an eye for quality
    2. Dealers you know... a bit less likely unless you are on the inside track to first shot at everything
    3. Coin Show attending... and the earlier the better
    4. Auction Houses... not as likely to be cream of the crop coins but can be representable. If they are cream, be ready to shell out $.

How would you add to or re-order this list? Would you create a totally different list? What are your experiences with BST? Notice eBay is not on the list... although there have been rare, surprising finds on occasion.

• Tim

• Options

Can someone tell me what they think of the 1901-O/O dime here? See https://www.pcgs.com/cert/35592076

This is not an O/HorizO. Have you seen this before? I haven't.

• Options

Tim - Your list, in the order you have it, works for me. Also, I've not seen the 01-O dime in hand, but it looks pretty nice to me from the pic.

Pics for this PM, a V Nick acquired some years back, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@sedulous said:
    Can someone tell me what they think of the 1901-O/O dime here? See https://www.pcgs.com/cert/35592076

>

@barberkeys said:
    I've not seen the 01-O dime in hand, but it looks pretty nice to me from the pic.

Just so I am clear, I was asking if anyone has seen an O/O unlisted variety like the coin at the end of the link... not necessarily the specific coin itself. Take a closer look at the mintmark.

• Options
    edited November 11, 2019 9:20PM

To get this thread back to the first page- here's my latest; an upgrade to my PCGS set.

• Options

Here is the '08-S in approximately the same grade @jedm that I found in the raw and was later graded by our hosts as VF30. Yours seems to have a sweeter disposition. Although straight graded, mine seems to have a bit rougher obverse and some minor gunk on the reverse at about 4 o'clock.

• Tim

• Options
    edited November 12, 2019 3:33PM

@sedulous A nice find in the raw, and all there details wise for the VF 30 grade I think. Yes the one (VF 20) I just received has a nice look to it... of course, just MHO, but I think just a tad nicer than the pics showed.

• Options

I came across a series of consecutive PCGS certification numbers that are all True View imaged and all Barber Quarters of various dates. Perhaps someone submitted their entire collection all at once? Heritage has a couple of them up for sale right now like the '96-O or the '01-O... a nice way to view someone else's previous collecting pursuits. I really like the '92-S in this grouping:

The consecutive numbers are: 38189034 all the way up to 38189073.

• Options
    edited November 16, 2019 2:24PM

My latest addition to my slab set of quarters -from @paesan

• Options

@jedm said:
    My latest addition to my slab set of quarters -from @paesan

Wow!, Nice coin... and it is an '11-D! Great pick-up.

• Options
    edited November 16, 2019 4:30PM

@jedm ... I just realized I didn't have a decent picture of my '11-D in approximately your grade range so I snapped one to put it up here. This one was Heritage Auction #131123, Lot #28731... an NGC F-15 specimen. For your viewing enjoyment! and comparison. I like looking for mintmark placement differences, for instance.

• Tim

• Options

I see that! A nice example, and it does look like the D is a bit farther away from the R on yours.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my '11 D quarter with the mm on top of the "R":

I didn't realize the mm positions varied so much. Since they were hand punched I guess it makes sense.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2019 1:15AM

@JeffMTampa ... Nice '11-D quarter Jeff, thanks for sharing. I didn't see the difference of mintmark placement between @jedm 's quarter and mine (@sedulous) but Jeff's seems to "tackle" the R in the legend and is fatter? in size.

Turning to dimes, here is a recent pick-up: 1894-O 10c in NGC45.

• T

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff, folks.
    Thanks for posting

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

It's Been awhile.

• Options

@sedulous said:

It's not the O/Horiz O. It's machine doubling and I have seen that before.

• Options

Tim - That collection Heritage is really impressive IMO, and includes lots of earlier coins as well.

jedm - Your 11-D newp is a beauty, congrats.

Pics for this PM, my barber newp from Baltimore, N-58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

If collectors (instead of coins) were put into a set, this would be my three Barber Collector Collection I would want to put together!

Test your knowledge: (1) As in the picture, can you name these collectors in last name order left-to-right? (2) In February 2005 when this picture was taken, who had the best (most highly-graded) 1908-P and 1909-O half dollars? (3) Both of these half dollars were of what MS grade?

• Options

Tim - I recognize Dr Pete on the left, don't know the other two.

Pics for this PM, newp into Paesan's Stash, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@sedulous said:
    If collectors (instead of coins) were put into a set, this would be my three Barber Collector Collection I would want to put together!

Test your knowledge: (1) As in the picture, can you name these collectors in last name order left-to-right? (2) In February 2005 when this picture was taken, who had the best (most highly-graded) 1908-P and 1909-O half dollars? (3) Both of these half dollars were of what MS grade?

Mr. Friend on the right.

• Options

Pics for this PM, key date newp (formerly Labelman's) into Milo's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@sedulous said:

All of the answers are at this link: https://www.pcgs.com/news/Barber-Half-Display-Delights-Collectors-And-Dealers

• Options
    edited November 30, 2019 10:00PM

Wow those three are consummate collectors of high grade Barber halves!
    I'm waiting for a couple ladies to help fill out my slab quarter set: Both are CAC and have the look I like:

Both are from Pony Express

• Options

@JedM- Both great looking quarters!

Here's a dime I purchased in an ICG 62 holder 3 years ago:

• Options

@JeffMTampa - Thank you- When you submitted your dime were you thinking it would come back as AU58? To my eye that one would be a tough call. May have made for an interesting guess the grade.

• Options

@jedm said:
    @JeffMTampa - Thank you- When you submitted your dime were you thinking it would come back as AU58? To my eye that one would be a tough call. May have made for an interesting guess the grade.

When I purchased the coin I thought I saw a luster break on the cheek. I was hoping it would downgrade to a 58 for my Everyman Complete Barber Set.

• Options

@JeffMTampa -Good eye! I think you and our hosts got it right.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    @JedM- Both great looking quarters!

Here's a dime I purchased in an ICG 62 holder 3 years ago:

It looks like the dime toned sitting on a washer in a desk drawer (per what is seen on the reverse).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file