Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

Separate question. Do you find this darker grime on Barber coins to be more pleasing or displeasing when in mid-circulated condition (when compared to more lighter gray specimens). Even you occassionally find grime on older stuff too:

Thanks in advance for opinions... - T

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

More pleasing

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim - I think it's a matter of personal taste. I myself, don't care for it.

Pics for this PM, from Milo's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim-

Even though I own several Barbers with that appearance it's not the look I seek. Too much contrast and lack of originality.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmmm, perhaps with the example shown....also a product of how the pictures are taken as most of his pictures make his coins look messed with. I have to disagree here. If I have time after the ANA perhaps I will illustrate a few. Might need a poke. ;)

@JeffMTampa said:
    Tim-

Even though I own several Barbers with that appearance it's not the look I seek. Too much contrast and lack of originality.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Separate question. Do you find this darker grime on Barber coins to be more pleasing or displeasing when in mid-circulated condition (when compared to more lighter gray specimens). Even you occassionally find grime on older stuff too:

Thanks in advance for opinions... - T

Not a look I strive for. Probably been lightly wiped or just banged around a little too much for my taste. Truly (that means nothing done to it) original Barbers are a find to celebrate. Good luck with your search

• Options

Glad I asked. Thanks everyone.

• T

• Options

My latest upgrade to my Dansco set- low grade yet surfaces are tremendously nice.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

New Purchase

• Options

Ironman - really nice looking newp, congratulations.

Had a really nice time at the ANA in Atlanta, added a good looking 92-O quarter, and ran into Craig (labelman).

Vern
    l
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Out of nowhere observation, but for a “common date” with 61 coins graded in XF and AU at PCGS, the 1903s quarter sure is elusive.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options

I purchased this one from Mike Hayes about 3 years ago.....

• Options
    edited March 2, 2020 3:16PM

1903-S quarter... just shy of XF @dogwood

• T

• Options

Very nice O3S examples guys. If I'm not mistaken they are way at the top of the list as far as the BCCS' s rankings

• Options

@jedm... I like the date and mint as well. You just don't see them in those grades as often as you would think you might.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys said:
    Ironman - really nice looking newp, congratulations.

Thank you!

• Options

I picked up an 1893 S Barber Quarter PC 58 at a Heritage Auction last week:

It's an upgrade from the PC 53 that was in my Everyman Set. Aside from the upgrade I saw what looked like a RPM in the listing photos:

I need to take a closeup shot with the microscope objective to get a better image. I've always been curious how the currently recognized varieties were chosen? There are SO many more.....

• Options

That is a beauty Jeff!

• Options

Anyone care to guess what coin this clipped MM is from:

• Options

I sense there could be a lack of enthusiasm on this one; the big reveal:

This one is in a PC VF 20 holder. Perhaps the "O" punch dropped on the floor, denting it?

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    I sense there could be a lack of enthusiasm on this one; the big reveal:

This one is in a PC VF 20 holder. Perhaps the "O" punch dropped on the floor, denting it?

I would have had no knowledgeable input on that one Jeff. Are you seeking out side activities like varieties now? Not a highly researched area!

• Options
    edited March 9, 2020 8:10AM

In regards to the 1893 S example with the interesting mint mark. I just acquired a fine example of the same year and mint and it appears to have been struck with the same reverse die.

• Options
    edited March 9, 2020 10:50PM

The centered S for 1893 Jeff is showing, do you think it is less or more rare than the shifted S version like I show here? Here is the reverse of an 1893-S with the S shifted to the right...

The 1897-S centered S is more rare than the shifted S... what about for the 1893-S?

• Options

From what I've observed the '93 S is about equal centered or far right mm.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

It's an upgrade from the PC 53 that was in my Everyman Set. Aside from the upgrade I saw what looked like a RPM in the listing photos:

I need to take a closeup shot with the microscope objective to get a better image. I've always been curious how the currently recognized varieties were chosen? There are SO many more.....

This is a definite RPM.

• Options
    edited March 12, 2020 3:28AM

BCCS says there is a version with a right shift offset 1893-S variety... has anyone seen an actual coin of this variety or can share a pic of the same?

It almost looks like the position of both Jeff's and my shifted version on the same coin reverse?

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

That’s a nice looking Barber. So hard to find Barbers with that look
    Congratulations

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@JeffMTampa. Jeff, I went ahead and informed Steve Hustad on your interesting variety. Here is what he has to say: "I think what you have there is an 1893-S/S (E) coin, not yet in our/my listing.

Its good that it’s a higher grade too, around EF-45 (+/-) it appears(?), so other details can be more easily seen where relevant to diagnosing this variety.

Please consider wring up a brief article for the journal about this one, and thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Steve H.

BCCS Variety Coordinator."

• Options

Not long ago I became interested in extreme macro photography with microscope objectives and enlarger lenses. This allows for extreme magnification. I'm in process of learning how to use this stuff properly and finding I need additional equipment for high quality photos. I intend to put together articles for the journal once I get the quality photos desired (that really show the variety in great detail.

I'm finding many new varieties with the new equipment that I suspect might be undiscovered. My plan is to go through my Barber stash to look for new stuff. My ultimate goal is not to profit from this, but to provide good photographs of varieties for the Barber community.

I should reach out to Steve to make him aware of what I'm doing; I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him. I do have a project in the works for the BCCS Journal, but it involves a MM from New Orleans, not San Francisco.

• Options

I purchased a nice looking 1905 O Barber Dime in an ANACS AU55 holder recently:

The plan is to crack this one out and submit it raw to PCGS. I believe the current grade will hold. The "5" in the date has been re-punched; I'll get photos of that later.

• Options

Jeff, I purchased a Nikon D7500 DSLR camera. I have a friend trying it out on a few projects right now but I don't believe I have all the equipment necessary to do extreme close-up photography. I think what is needed is properly orchestrated opaque lighting sources, a proper macro lens, a copy stand of sorts or at least something that is strong to eliminate shutter shake, etc. My hope is to get to a point where I can contribute pictures as you have here on this thread. I just recently purchased this book as well. You have great pictures and have done a great job learning how to do that well. Great job.

• T

• Options

Jeff - Thank you very much for the extensive guidance you've given me in my plan to upgrade my photographic capabilities. If all goes well, I should be able to start my learning process when I return home near the end of this month. Oh, and nice pick-up of that very tough 93-S quarter.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2020 12:03PM

@JeffMTampa said:
    One of the tougher AU dates in the Barber Quarter set. I recently came across an AU 58 in an old ANACS small white holder:

The word "Colorful" comes to mind. Although I plan on submitting it to our hosts for crossover I know they might claim its artificially toned. Hard to say- it's been in the current holder for many years.

The coin appears to have an S/S mintmark:

But it's not the variety recognized by PCGS. Has anyone seen this RPM before?

Jeff @JeffMTampa, I went ahead and also mentioned this '07-S to Steve Hustad as well. He had this to say in response:

"Hi Tim, Looks like another RPM, 1907-S/S (E). Almost looks like a large S (the final S I mean) over a small S, but it’s probably just the effects of die polishing in an attempt to ‘erase’ the erroneously punched MM initially which makes its image appear smaller. There are four known 1907-S varieties: 190/07-S (RPD-N), 1907/07-S/S (RPD-S & RPM-OverMM), 1907-S/S (RPM over/rotated S) & 1907-S/S (E). Yours (Jeff's) MAY be the last one listed, but I can’t seem to locate my photo of that one right now.

Steve H.

BCCS Variety Coordinator"

• T

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Jeff, I purchased a Nikon D7500 DSLR camera. I have a friend trying it out on a few projects right now but I don't believe I have all the equipment necessary to do extreme close-up photography. I think what is needed is properly orchestrated opaque lighting sources, a proper macro lens, a copy stand of sorts or at least something that is strong to eliminate shutter shake, etc. My hope is to get to a point where I can contribute pictures as you have here on this thread. I just recently purchased this book as well. You have great pictures and have done a great job learning how to do that well. Great job.

• T

Tim-

That's a great book. You don't want to start with Extreme Macro Photography, just start with Macro photography. You will need additional equipment. The most critical elements to photography are composition and lighting. In coin photography composition isn't an issue but lighting is. The ability to see how light positions change the image is critical prior to shooting. Lights are not a set it and forget it thing. Canon provides software with their cameras that allows the camera to be tethered to a laptop computer. This allows you to see the image before shooting. Does Nikon provide this software now? They haven't in the past, but I haven't kept track. The reality is the camera body is the least important part of the setup other than the ability to tether. Before investing in a Nikon Macro lens find out about tethering software. You may be better off purchasing a used Canon body for about $200 that with the software and use the Nikon for handheld shooting. The Nikon you have will take great coin photos, but it will be a lot more difficult to become proficient at coin photography without tethering.

I spent a lot of time making mistakes and purchasing the wrong equipment to get where I am now. I'm happy to help others from running down the Bunny Trails I've explored.

• Options

I just love these pretty 62's especially when they are a RPD to boot. I love the look of this coin. Thanks for looking and comments welcome. :)

• Options

Nice Quarter @kaz !

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:

• T

Tim-

That's a great book. You don't want to start with Extreme Macro Photography, just start with Macro photography. You will need additional equipment. The most critical elements to photography are composition and lighting. In coin photography composition isn't an issue but lighting is. The ability to see how light positions change the image is critical prior to shooting. Lights are not a set it and forget it thing. Canon provides software with their cameras that allows the camera to be tethered to a laptop computer. This allows you to see the image before shooting. Does Nikon provide this software now? They haven't in the past, but I haven't kept track. The reality is the camera body is the least important part of the setup other than the ability to tether. Before investing in a Nikon Macro lens find out about tethering software. You may be better off purchasing a used Canon body for about $200 that with the software and use the Nikon for handheld shooting. The Nikon you have will take great coin photos, but it will be a lot more difficult to become proficient at coin photography without tethering.

I spent a lot of time making mistakes and purchasing the wrong equipment to get where I am now. I'm happy to help others from running down the Bunny Trails I've explored.

I appreciate that input Jeff. Another friend of mine said the idea behind tethering is to see the image on a larger display than what I might get on my Nikon screen. Out of the box, I was able to successfully tether the D7500 Nikon wirelessly to my Samsung S10 cell phone. I am told this can be done via an iPad as well. I have an iPad and I will be trying that. My friend was also able to successfully tether an hdmi cable to an external monitor for a video shoot he recently did when he borrowed my camera.

I agree the lens of a camera is vital many times more than the body. However that being said, I am told the body of a camera is an important part the the photography experience. This supposedly enables for higher resolutions, increases iso exposure compensation, etc. A sub par body can contribute to disastrous results for the final image even if the lens used costs 5 times than that of a camera's body. Once again, I will learn more with experience as you say Jeff and will be asking questions.

Agree that lighting is a big key. Like for the D7500's video capability, I might want to have soft light boxes with remote flash. Perhaps also continuous lighting within a soft box to make things turn out well. Light control play's a vital role within the photograph I am told. All this I plan to test out in the upcoming months. Jeff, you definitely have blazed a beautiful Barber trail here in this thread. I am giddy to develop my own techniques here in the next few months and develop this capability further getting my feet wet into this. Thanks!

• T

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I just love these pretty 62's especially when they are a RPD to boot. I love the look of this coin. Thanks for looking and comments welcome. :)

Nice Barber Jon!

• Options

Tim-

Good to know you can tether a Nikon; a few years back it wasn't possible. I find it essential for focusing and seeing what moving lights does for the shot.

I own Canon 40D, 50D, and 60D DSLR bodies. Although the 60D is much more advanced and higher resolution than the 40D they all take great shots. My experience is that the body itself doesn't make much difference- they're all good.

I keep the 40D on a copy stand with a bellows for extreme macro, a 50D on a copy stand with a Sigma 150mm macro lens, and use the 60D for general photography. The bodies can be purchased inexpensively on eBay. I started with the 40D for both general photography and copy stand work, but found it too much work to break it down and set it up.

• Options

My Newest Newp. :)

• Options

Here's another one of my new pickups, an 1892 O Type 1 Barber Quarter in an ANACS AU58 holder. It will be submitted to our hosts soon:

Notice the interesting Die Chips at the base of the neck and on the cap:

I have a PCGS AU 58 Type II of this date, now I have a set (assuming it comes back in a PC58 holder).

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    My Newest Newp. :)

Wow, exquisite color on that '11-D dime! Nice pick-up!

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's another one of my new pickups, an 1892 O Type 1 Barber Quarter in an ANACS AU58 holder. It will be submitted to our hosts soon:

Notice the interesting Die Chips at the base of the neck and on the cap:

I have a PCGS AU 58 Type II of this date, now I have a set (assuming it comes back in a PC58 holder).

Interesting. I have an 1892-O Type 1 quarter with a similar issue at that same corner of the bust. Would be great to do a quick side-by-side... same set of dies? Interesting...

• Options

Cool Quarters guys!

• Options

Tim- the die chip on your ‘92 O is in the same area, but not the same die. The New Orleans mint was not known for quality!

• Options
    edited March 19, 2020 9:05PM

Moving up the thread... 1899-S Barber Quarter. Lowest, yes, the LOWEST PCGS population of all the regular issue quarters. 184 total in the pop and it has low pop's in mid-grades to boot. The 1898-S is next at 186 total.

PCGS XF45

PCGS XF40

• Options
    edited March 20, 2020 8:06AM

I recently purchased a raw '99 S Quarter:

My hope is to be able to send it to PCGS one day for grading. My suspicion it's 55 to 58 material. I'm hoping the scratch on the jaw will just be viewed as an innocent battle scar....

• Options

Jeff, minor RPD?... there seems to be a shadow of something above and slightly right of the second 9 in the date? I like the color... might be a 55 but the latest conservative grading approach at our hosts might return you a grade lower... hope not.

• Options

Tim- I think you could be right on the RPD; I'll take a closer look over the weekend. It could go 53 as you suggest, especially if they net it for the scratch. As long as it comes back in a graded holder I'll be happy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file