Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2020 7:02AM

LOL! NO! Both of those were turds IMHO. They floated around for years with various sellers(And may still be!). They actually were Don's...plastic hole fillers. I just found out today The PCGS price Guide is now $2750 for an AU 58! I find it funny since the lowest recorded sales are in the mid-high 3 thousands...not to mention earlier sales @ 15K which the price guide was for a long time.

I saved this coin from the hammer years ago. Luckily a dealer I know found out about the coin and asked what I would pay. He had to quickly call the other dealer after my offer to keep him from cracking the coin to try for an MS!

Edit to add...the grades posted today after being in quality control for over a week before they closed.
    Another edit...my 97-S was the 3rd to be graded AU58.

@JeffMTampa said:
    Darrell-Congrats!! Is that one of the '97 S that Teaparty had available for a few years? It looks nice.

When did you receive the results?

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ironmanl63 Ballooning puffy area below the ear

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    @ironmanl63 Ballooning puffy area below the ear

OK thanks. It does look like some of that is going on. Is it common on this date or the whole series?

I do not have many Barber coins but the few I have are pretty nice.

• Options
    edited April 9, 2020 11:32AM

@ironmanl63, I wrote an article on the 1906-O quarter a few years ago for BCCS. The '06 to '07 New Orleans years will also have some coins that will also exhibit this problem. I believe the original question was asked because it was hard to see if your Philly coin had that below-the-ear puffy area due to all that booming luster! Die buckling may be a possible issue contributor. Is it common? no for a majority of the dates. Situations of buckling with a bulging result on the coin can be a number of things including mintage speed (1915 quarters had a 3.48 million mintage and study the number of dies used vs. the total mintage), over-stretching out the use of dies, or simply operator carelessness / inattentiveness (as with the worker unrest just prior to the Fed being created by our government in 1907)..

• Options
    edited April 9, 2020 11:30AM

The 1907-S quarter is a tougher date than many realize. I wish I can find more quality offerings in the XF to AU range. This low-end VF (close to a borderline as a F15) will have to do for now:

• T

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had this one out of the safe today so I figured I should grab a quick picture.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:
    I had this one out of the safe today so I figured I should grab a quick picture.

That looks awesome! what does the eagle on the reverse look like?

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ironmanl63 said:

A real beauty!

What is the grade?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Like the '07-S, another bit of a tougher date is the '11-D... This one NGC-graded

• Tim

• Options

@sedulous said:

@DelawareDoons said:

That looks awesome! what does the eagle on the reverse look like?

Thanks!

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

@Treashunt said:

@ironmanl63 said:

A real beauty!

What is the grade?

Thanks. It is a MS66 from the latest Pogue sale.

• Options

@ironmanl63 said:

@Treashunt said:

@ironmanl63 said:

A real beauty!

What is the grade?

Thanks. It is a MS66 from the latest Pogue sale.

Is the pedigree on the label? Just curious. Very nice coin.

• Options

Yup.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Like the '07-S, another bit of a tougher date is the '11-D... This one NGC-graded

• Tim

That's the kind I collect... did they give it an F-15?

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was fortunate to find this '11D Quarter about 3 years ago:

It is a difficult date, but nice ones show up now and then.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it! Is the strike typical for the year/MM? Its pretty solid on the obv but the reverse at the bottom is really quite weak in the tail feathers, arrows and "ER DO" and mint mark.

• Options

Here is my 11D, still sitting in the album....for now! Just for fun, what do you guys think it would grade. It does not have pitting as the image shows, but toning that I didn't capture. I was thinking it was at least a VF20

• Options

@jedm ... Here ya go... pm me for more provenance details if interested

• Tim

• Options
    edited April 11, 2020 7:43PM

@erwindoc said:
    Here is my 11D, still sitting in the album....for now! Just for fun, what do you guys think it would grade. It does not have pitting as the image shows, but toning that I didn't capture. I was thinking it was at least a VF20

VF25 detail... a bit concerned about the surfaces... could be the lighting. Are you taking the picture through the plastic slider-sleeve?

• Options

No, I just suck at taking photos. I pulled the slides back.

• Options

On an NGC-graded track... '09-P...

• T

• Options

We've seen a lot of Quarters recently- time for a Dime:

• Options

Here's a photo taken by Valente151 of one of Mike Hayes Liberty Nickels:

Mike loved his Liberty Nickels…..

• Options

Here is one he picked out for me when I was building my set!

• Options
    edited April 12, 2020 10:06PM

What do you think brings about this spotty-like toning?

• Options

With all these quarters being posted I figure I should post this 1 here while it's in my possession. This coin is the reason I don't collect Barber Quarters!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    With all these quarters being posted I figure I should post this 1 here while it's in my possession. This coin is the reason I don't collect Barber Quarters!

Quite a coin to just end up with. How did that come about- there must be a story? What's the grade?

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear you @amwldcoin ... my first house cost me less than my example of that date. And I have a lowly G4.

• Options
    edited April 13, 2020 11:47AM

I'm trying to sell it for a friend. It's in a 55 holder. I actually like it.
    Edit to add...I don't think it passed muster with Verne. He looked at it at the ANA show. It also turns out it's traded hands several times in the last year or so with 2 auction appearances. Don't know if I can get my friends price...but it seems like a bargain compared to past prices.

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

Quite a coin to just end up with. How did that come about- there must be a story? What's the grade?

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Edit to add...I don't think it passed muster with Verne. He looked at it at the ANA show. It also turns out it's traded hands several times in the last year or so with 2 auction appearances. Don't know if I can get my friends price...but it seems like a bargain compared to past prices.

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

I saw it in Atlanta. It’s priced right
    Good luck

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

Looks like a 55 to me, but something tells me it's been to PCGS previously.....

• Options

I would think so also. I will also say from what I have seen out there I don't think it should prohibit the same grade from PCGS. I suspect he might try to cross it if it doesn't sell in a reasonable amount of time.

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

Looks like a 55 to me, but something tells me it's been to PCGS previously.....

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

wow!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darrell - That 01-S is definitely not my cup of tea. Here's a coin that is, the 1914 half I bought from you in Atlanta, PC53 (thanks again Jeff for the guidance with the new camera system, slow but sure I'm getting there).

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

@barberkeys Beautiful coin pic Vern. Thanks for sharing. Tim

• Options

Vern- Very nice coin, and a good picture (but a little dark). For darker coins (like that) boost the exposure to the plus side.

• Options

Verne, this begs a question from me! Have you seen an AU 01-S Barber Quarter that would fit your bill? Personally I like crusty coins in XF and down and nice luster on my AU's....like that 97-S I just got a + on.

I wish I had taken a picture of that 14 so we could compare our photo techniques!

@barberkeys said:
    Darrell - That 01-S is definitely not my cup of tea. Here's a coin that is, the 1914 half I bought from you in Atlanta, PC53 (thanks again Jeff for the guidance with the new camera system, slow but sure I'm getting there).

• Options

I > @JeffMTampa said:

Vern- Very nice coin, and a good picture (but a little dark). For darker coins (like that) boost the exposure to the plus side.

That photo is spot on for what the
    Coin looks like in hand. Vern made a great purchase. Love the coin and the new camera. I see a concrete mixer in your future Vern!

• Options

@No Headlights said:
    I > @JeffMTampa said:

That photo is spot on for what the
    Coin looks like in hand. Vern made a great purchase. Love the coin and the new camera. I see a concrete mixer in your future Vern!

My bad! Photos definitely should accurately portray the coins true image in hand- I haven't seen it. There is nice underlying luster peeking through. With such a low mintage I'm surprised how reasonable the price for '14 Halves is. I guess it shows that demand is low.

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

That 14 looks great!

• Options

I took new photos of a few of my Barber Halves last night using improved LED lights. I believe I'm getting better results than from the fluorescent bulbs I was using. Here's new pics of my '14 Half in PC AU58:

Vern's new '14 Half has more luster peeking out than mine. Mine was purchased raw on eBay about 6 years ago for around $700 as I recall.

• Options

Here are new photos of my '13 S Half, currently housed in a PCGS OGH graded AU58:

This was purchased from David Kahn at FUN in 2018. Note the semi-circular punch line on the obverse; my guess is the mark is from a partial blank punch. The reverse shows Machine Doubling, most noticeable at "Half Dollar"

This one also has a Green Bean:

• Options

The 13-S half is sneaky tough to find in high grade circ. Congratulations

• Options

A new raw purchase showed up in the mail today, a 1893 O Barber Half. I already have a couple of PC AU58 1893 O Halves, so the newp wasn't purchased as a potential upgrade:

It looks as though there are a couple of struck through areas on the lips. I don't believe it's PMD. This coin will be sent off to our hosts for grading soon; looks like an AU50 to me.

• Options

Here are the other 3 1893 O Halves I own:

Guess which one is represented in my Everyman set??

• Options

S> @JeffMTampa said:

A new raw purchase showed up in the mail today, a 1893 O Barber Half. I already have a couple of PC AU58 1893 O Halves, so the newp wasn't purchased as a potential upgrade:

It looks as though there are a couple of struck through areas on the lips. I don't believe it's PMD. This coin will be sent off to our hosts for grading soon; looks like an AU50 to me.

Jeff
    It has a better than average strike for a 93-O. Some are just ridiculously weak on the reverse.
    Good one. Congratulations

• Options

My newp has a decent strike,but in Darryl's words, it's a "turd". I purchased it only for the strike thru. I'm a bit fascinated with the problem coins of New Orleans.

• Options

Pop Quiz time: What coin is this RPM from?

Although this is a variety recognized by PCGS, all the information needed to identify the coin is visible in the photo.

Who knows the denomination, date, and mint?

• Options

S over S 07 quarter!

• Options
    edited April 17, 2020 3:35PM

@No Headlights said:
    S over S 07 quarter!

It is a Quarter from San Francisco, but the wrong year. Look at the position of the MM- there's only one year this could possibly be from.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file