Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beauty, and a tough date to boot.

The toning looks natural to me; I'm guessing an MS 65. Now I'll look it up to see how close I came. Thanks for posting that beauty!

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    Tim- You have PLENTY of time to find some nice items to submit.

When I was a kid I spent my summers is Northern Minnesota in the 1960's. Both of my parents were school teachers; we had a cabin on a lake. I used to go fishing for Walleye's with my Dad. We would catch a lot of fish, but only keep what we were going to eat that day. Dad considered a Walleye about 2 lbs. and up a "keeper". If a fish was smaller Dad would say "throw it back".

In early January I purchased a raw 1911 Barber Half on eBay. It was blast white (obviously dipped in the past), but otherwise looked great. It was clearly uncirculated and didn't have any distracting marks. I already had an MS 63 in my regular Barber Half set, but I was looking for an upgrade. I thought it looked like at least a 63 and hopefully a 64.

Off it went to our hosts for grading. Last week the coin returned in a MS 62 holder. I was reminded of fishing with Dad when I learned the grade. The new purchase wasn't an upgrade for my set; time to "throw it back" (as in sell it).

It's a nice coin, but it doesn't fit into my collection.

If you still live in Tampa we should meet sometime. Not hogging thread at all.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2020 2:16PM

Jeff! From the pictures that coin looks like a 67! Now I'll go look!

Edit to add...well we might make a good team if you average our opinions! ;)

@JeffMTampa said:

The toning looks natural to me; I'm guessing an MS 65. Now I'll look it up to see how close I came. Thanks for posting that beauty!

• Options

@Nic said:

@JeffMTampa said:

When I was a kid I spent my summers is Northern Minnesota in the 1960's. Both of my parents were school teachers; we had a cabin on a lake. I used to go fishing for Walleye's with my Dad. We would catch a lot of fish, but only keep what we were going to eat that day. Dad considered a Walleye about 2 lbs. and up a "keeper". If a fish was smaller Dad would say "throw it back".

In early January I purchased a raw 1911 Barber Half on eBay. It was blast white (obviously dipped in the past), but otherwise looked great. It was clearly uncirculated and didn't have any distracting marks. I already had an MS 63 in my regular Barber Half set, but I was looking for an upgrade. I thought it looked like at least a 63 and hopefully a 64.

Off it went to our hosts for grading. Last week the coin returned in a MS 62 holder. I was reminded of fishing with Dad when I learned the grade. The new purchase wasn't an upgrade for my set; time to "throw it back" (as in sell it).

for

Nic-

That's a keeper Walleye- about 3 lbs.? Your sweatshirt says Iowa but the fish looks like one from Northern Minnesota.

I've been in Tampa for 34 years; you?

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

@Nic said:

@JeffMTampa said:

for

Nic-

That's a keeper Walleye- about 3 lbs.? Your sweatshirt says Iowa but the fish looks like one from Northern Minnesota.

I've been in Tampa for 34 years; you?

Go Hawks!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Barbers guys. I just won a 1893/2 PCGS63 Dime last night in the GC auction. Haven't got it yet. Will post later when in hand.

By the way my PCGS58 1893/2 will be for sale soon! :)

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

It's in a MS-66 holder w CAC sticker...... looks pretty stunning in the photo. When I had it in hand, I felt that the luster was "off". The rim toning did look natural, and had all the hall marks of natural toning. I came to the conclusion that the entire coin was toned at one point...It was probably a nice original, yet dark coin, and that perhaps the centers had been wiped clean with a solvent to give the coin the appearance of a rim toned gem. I could be dead wrong.....It was hard to tell.....The luster just looked too hot to me.

• Options

Here are a couple recent additions to my Barber Halves.....

• Options

Unless someone's invented a toning "air brush" your '09 S is all natural, baby.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

Haha....I wouldn't put it past them! Thanks Jeff, I'm being paranoid again! Happy Barber collecting....

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eldorado9 said:
    Hey Guys....I'm new around here...Big fan of Barber coinage since the early 90's. OK, for the experts here....Take a look at this coin, and tell me if you believe it is natural...and how you would grade it....No looking at the cert....

I must've missed this one- looks superb! I agree with you - you're just being paranoid. That is one heckuva nice looking half.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eldorado9 Looks high-end uncirculated. No way it could be AT.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2020 7:15AM

@JeffMTampa said:

Luster does come through on occasion to that level with Philly issues. It is not a regular thing. Nice coin! After checking... WOW, MS66? once again, nice

• Options

Thanks guys...Appreciate the responses. I am still developing my eye for mint state coins, having been primarily a collector of proof type material in the past. Lot's to learn....always....Hard these days, typically I would go to shows and look at tons of coins....That ain't gonna happen! Here are my Barber Proofs, as you can see, I have some serious competition! Just made it past 50% completion recently.....Tough set!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/half-dollars/barber-half-dollars-major-sets/barber-half-dollars-proof-1892-1915-cac/7585

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:
    Thanks guys...Appreciate the responses. I am still developing my eye for mint state coins, having been primarily a collector of proof type material in the past. Lot's to learn....always....Hard these days, typically I would go to shows and look at tons of coins....That ain't gonna happen! Here are my Barber Proofs, as you can see, I have some serious competition! Just made it past 50% completion recently.....Tough set!!!

You have a lot of lookers there.....

• Options

Jeff: In Sarasota 30 years. I'm from Iowa and that's my kid in his 2019 college interview sweatshirt. Ontario fish, 21", and released to spawn. Notice the northern bite/hash mark on the fishes back?

No Headlights: Go hawks.

Eldorado: Nice coins.

My favorite Barber. Posted before. Old low res pics from my point and shoot.

• Options

@Nic said:
    Jeff: In Sarasota 30 years. I'm from Iowa and that's my kid in his 2019 college interview sweatshirt. Ontario fish, 21", and released to spawn. Notice the northern bite/hash mark on the fishes back?

That’s a nice Walleye. We get up to Canada a couple times a year

Love it. Great Lake for Walleyes

• Options

@Nic said:

Hey Nic, OK, that 1892 quarter....Forget about it! That coin is off the freaking chart awesome. I want it! BTW that is the Pogue coin, and it is for sale for a ridiculous amount of money.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

I'm thinking I can make my '11 Half look like Nic's if I get out a box of Crayola Crayons.....

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@JeffMTampa said:

I'm thinking I can make my '11 Half look like Nic's if I get out a box of Crayola Crayons.....

Not a chance, only God and Monet are that good with color!

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@JeffMTampa said:

PS...Stacks has that 1892 above listed at $11,500.00!!!!!! Coinfacts= $3,000.00!!!!

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:

@Eldorado9 said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@JeffMTampa said:

PS...Stacks has that 1892 above listed at $11,500.00!!!!!! Coinfacts= $3,000.00!!!!

Eldorado9, My half is not the former Sunnywood/Pogue quarter and is not for sale.

• Options

@Nic said:

@Eldorado9 said:

@Eldorado9 said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Eldorado9, My half is not the former Sunnywood/Pogue quarter and is not for sale.

Nic, wow I really got confused there for a sec. Your half, which I love, is very similar to the Pogue 1892 25c.....They are almost twins. Love your Half!

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:

@Nic said:

@Eldorado9 said:

@Eldorado9 said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Nic, wow I really got confused there for a sec. Your half, which I love, is very similar to the Pogue 1892 25c.....They are almost twins. Love your Half!

Here is the Pogue 1892 25c....Very close! What a pair those would make!

• Options
    edited May 7, 2020 2:52AM

@Eldorado9 @Nic What really gets me thinking is that both 1892 beautifully toned coins could be from the same originating source (earlier than Pogue). What a great pair of Barbers!

In the mean time, JRM is sending me this to further beef-up the Sedulous registry. It really is a great coin so thank you Jeff. Much appreciated. '09-S quarter in XF:

• Tim

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    I found a few nice raw Barbers early this year and submitted them for grading in mid February. They arrived back home from our hosts today. Here's a tougher date I'm very happy with, a 1908 S Quarter now in an AU 58 holder:

I like the blueish tone of this coin. It upgrades a VF 35 I've had in my set for many years. The 35 is going up for sale

really nice, underrated date

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@sedulous said:
    The 1907-S quarter is a tougher date than many realize. I wish I can find more quality offerings in the XF to AU range. This low-end VF (close to a borderline as a F15) will have to do for now:

• T

agreed, very tough date, my best is a nice VF

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Like the '07-S, another bit of a tougher date is the '11-D... This one NGC-graded

• Tim

much tougher date.
    nice

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:
    Hey Guys....I'm new around here...Big fan of Barber coinage since the early 90's. OK, for the experts here....Take a look at this coin, and tell me if you believe it is natural...and how you would grade it....No looking at the cert....

looks good to me.

I like it, but since you asked I presume they AT'd it.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Frosty!

• Options

Pete Shireman has a great eye for Barbers

• Options

@No Headlights said:
    Pete Shireman has a great eye for Barbers

I'll say....His collection was an amazing accomplishment....Those coins are a "who's who" of Barbers!

• Options

Here is the other one I really like:

• Options
    edited May 7, 2020 8:25PM

@Eldorado9 said:

@Eldorado9 daaaannngggg! Both '08 and '00 S coins are jaw dropping

• Options

So THAT'S what they're supposed to look like.....

• Options

After the thread has recently been featuring amazing coins (with amazing price tags) it's back to the slums- sorry.

Yesterday a box of crossover Barber Quarters was delivered. Here's a 1907 D Barber Quarter that I purchased in an ICG AU53 holder. It returned from PCGS in an AU53 holder as well:

This coin replaces a XF45 in my set. For whatever reason the '07 D Quarter is a tough date to find in XF/ AU. In my view, this coin is what an AU53 Barber Quarter should look like.

• Options

Nice upgrade Jeff! It's amazing how many barber dates are tough to find in the EF and AU range! They just were not saved at the time.

• Options

@sedulous said:

@Eldorado9 said:

Thanks Sedulous!!!! They are pretty freakin nice. Here is one more I recently got, I needed the 1903 for my proof set and this one had been hidden away for a while by a major dealer.....It's not for everyone, but I love it.

• Options

No wonder we can’t find great looking Barber’s in the market; @Eldorado9 has them all!

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    No wonder we can’t find great looking Barber’s in the market; @Eldorado9 has them all!

Too Kind Jeff! Actually it seems really hard to find truly nice material these days....Especially proof Barber halves. All the really good one's are impounded in a handful of Registry sets, or just locked up somewhere. We def. share an affinity for the Barber's.....I think I loved them from when I was a kid.

• Options

On that toned 1903 above, I call her Lady Liberty, Sub-Saharan edition!

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:

@sedulous said:

@Eldorado9 said:

Thanks Sedulous!!!! They are pretty freakin nice. Here is one more I recently got, I needed the 1903 for my proof set and this one had been hidden away for a while by a major dealer.....It's not for everyone, but I love it.

beautiful!

Amazing

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:

@Eldorado9 said:

@sedulous said:

@Eldorado9 said:

beautiful!

Amazing

Thanks Frank!!!!! Here are a couple more from my Reg. set....I love color!

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Real clean 09-S Quarter Tim....Nice.

Craig

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

OOOOH @Eldorado9 those are gorgeous!

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:

@Treashunt said:

@Eldorado9 said:

@sedulous said:

@Eldorado9 said:

beautiful!

Amazing

Thanks Frank!!!!! Here are a couple more from my Reg. set....I love color!

Uh, uh, uh (drool) 🤪

• Options

Back to the real world of "kind of nice" coins:

Recently back from the grading room, I purchased this 1910 Barber Quarter in a NGC AU58 holder. It crossed at PCGS in the same grade:

This upgrades a PC AU50in my sets. I really like the look of this coin (even though it's not very colorful). It has nice luster, a great strike, and appears to have original surfaces.

• Options

@Labelman87 said:
    Real clean 09-S Quarter Tim....Nice.

Thanks Craig. I am humbled to be a proud owner of one of JRM's cast-offs. - Tim

• Options

I'm glad the '09 S found a good loving home!

A few months back I purchased a 1907 S Quarter in a small white AU58 holder. This is the one that looks like it could be an undiscovered RPM. It was sent off to Long Beach for grading in February for Crossover grading; it returned last week in a PC AU55 holder:

This upgrades a VF35 in my set, but I won't be parting with the 35- it's the recognized RPM variety.

This coin is very difficult to photograph. It has a lot of colorful luster, but it's tricky to find the right lighting to bring it out.

• Options

@JeffMTampa ... Excellent result Jeff. Congratulations.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file