Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin. Sell your backup to @Eldorado9 so he can feel more a part of our group. I feel bad for him; no circulated coins.....

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Jeff - Your 14-s BQ at grade VF is one of the most difficult finds in the set . The fields are quite nice and it is a prize that many would like to own.
    Congrats.

Craig

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@erwindoc said:

@Eldorado9 said:
    P,D,O and S mint set of gemmy Barber Halves.
    (Curiously, there is no Registry set for a Barber Half mint mark set the way there is for Morgan Dollars.)

That's a good way to do a set. When I get finished with a couple of my projects, I plan on doing a 20th century and 19th century mint mark set.!

Best of luck on that accomplishment. No small feat but beautiful to enjoy once finished! - @Eldorado9 A fine set of coins here as of late. I still can't get over the color and originality of that '05 proof set you shared! - Tim

Thanks Gents, That mint mark set would be stupendous! Yes, not too many original early 1900's proof sets around anymore....It was something I dreamed about since I was a beginning collector in the 70's! The flash of those pieces when the light hits, well, it takes your breath away!

• Options

I've been focusing on improving my Everyman Barber Quarter set recently, short of the Big 3. I don't really care about the standings, but want to put together a nice set with appeal (to me). At the moment I can't afford nice examples of the 3, and don't just want to fill holes with low end examples. So what do I do? I purchased a 1907 Quarter in an ICG 58 holder even though I already have a nice PC AU55. Here's the newp:

I just liked this one. It will be sent off to our hosts in the future.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    I've been focusing on improving my Everyman Barber Quarter set recently, short of the Big 3. I don't really care about the standings, but want to put together a nice set with appeal (to me). At the moment I can't afford nice examples of the 3, and don't just want to fill holes with low end examples. So what do I do? I purchased a 1907 Quarter in an ICG 58 holder even though I already have a nice PC AU55. Here's the newp:

Pretty lustre!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    edited May 18, 2020 4:16PM

Which variety of the 1908-P RPD dime? Uncirculated specimen here...

Would you know Jon @DIMEMAN ?

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Very nice coin. Sell your backup to @Eldorado9 so he can feel more a part of our group. I feel bad for him; no circulated coins.....

Shoot, if it's really that bad, I'll give him a handout but can I get a like-kind receipt? the taxes are really bad here in Illinois and I can use all the help I can get.

• Options
    edited May 18, 2020 4:29PM

Should I crack this and send it in? trying to get an XF40.

If you are curious, GTG

• Tim

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

:D

• Options

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Shoot, if it's really that bad, I'll give him a handout but can I get a like-kind receipt? the taxes are really bad here in Illinois and I can use all the help I can get.

Move to Florida. We have people from Illinois come to Florida to pay taxes for us. Works for me.

• Options

@sedulous said:

If you are curious, GTG

• Tim

It's a nice coin, but I would say it has about a 30% chance at getting a 40 grade. Definitely don't waste money on reconsideration.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim @sedulous I will guess that one is a 35.
    Here's what my 35 looks like.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2020 7:27PM

That's a 30 on a bad day and should be a 35. Can't see a 40.

@sedulous said:

If you are curious, GTG

• Tim
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2020 7:31PM

@jedm ... nope, our hosts graded it PC30. I think it is PC40. Lenny @paesan showed me his PC40 on Saturday and we both agree mine is greater at VF30! This is why I am asking you all if I should crack and resubmit. Trying to get more opinions. I don't want to waste my time with CAC in a VF30 holder. It is definitely a CAC worthy coin (once in a XF40 holder IMO).

• Options

I'm thinking there just needs to be more luster to make a 40. Maybe there is not too much wear, but just not seeing enough luster.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Which variety of the 1908-P RPD dime? Uncirculated specimen here...

Would you know Jon @DIMEMAN ?

It's not one of the CPG varieties, but there a lot more than is listed there. I will have compare it to my existing RPD's.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:
    I'm thinking there just needs to be more luster to make a 40. Maybe there is not too much wear, but just not seeing enough luster.

I disagree. I don’t believe luster is a factor on a XF 40 coin for graders. It obviously comes into play on AU coins. Jmo

• Options

@No Headlights said:

@jedm said:

I disagree. I don’t believe luster is a factor on a XF 40 coin for graders. It obviously comes into play on AU coins. Jmo

Interesting that you mention this. That's what I get for assuming that what I had always thought is not universally agreed upon. It's always good to get other opinions and just another reason why I keep coming back here day after day.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

That is super pretty!

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:
    Serious eye candy right here:

That is a beauty!

How do you make them! Easy Bake Oven?

• Options
    edited May 20, 2020 6:16PM

@Eldorado9 said:
    Serious eye candy right here:

Wow! Safe to say you hit the bullseye there! went to PCGS Certification and looked up #37122410... it didn't come through at first but now it works. MS68??? nice!

• Options
    edited May 20, 2020 8:22PM

@Eldorado9 Did you see the pristine 1892 Proof Set at https://www.hjbltd.com? Harlan J. Berk even has the '92 $1. as PF68 DCAM.

Original 1892 Proof Set - sold as a set. All coins in this remarkable set are PCGS graded and CAC verified. Grades are as follows: 1c - Proof 66 Red, 5c - Proof 66 CAM, 10c - Proof 68 CAM, 25c - Proof 67+ DCAM, 50c - Proof 67 DCAM, $1 - Proof 68 DCAM. Without a doubt the finest Proof set we've handled and I believe one of the finest Proof sets obtainable. Harlan J. Berk, Ltd. purchased the set, intact, from a Chicago family who's great, great Grandfather purchased the set from the Mint at the conclusion of the 1892 Columbian Expo held in Chicago. The family indicated he was a collector, a well known physician and worked at the Expo. Research indicates the Mint did in fact have a display of their current coinage at the expo. Absolutely original and quite amazing! The Dollar is the finest known by three grade points, the Half has just one coin graded finer at a 67+ and the Dime has only one coin graded finer as a 68+.

Asking $145K

• Options

@sedulous said:
    @Eldorado9 Did you see the pristine 1892 Proof Set at https://www.hjbltd.com? Harlan J. Berk even has the '92 $1. as PF68 DCAM.

Asking $145K

I'm out.

• Options

@sedulous said:

Original 1892 Proof Set - sold as a set. All coins in this remarkable set are PCGS graded and CAC verified. Grades are as follows: 1c - Proof 66 Red, 5c - Proof 66 CAM, 10c - Proof 68 CAM, 25c - Proof 67+ DCAM, 50c - Proof 67 DCAM, $1 - Proof 68 DCAM. Without a doubt the finest Proof set we've handled and I believe one of the finest Proof sets obtainable. Harlan J. Berk, Ltd. purchased the set, intact, from a Chicago family who's great, great Grandfather purchased the set from the Mint at the conclusion of the 1892 Columbian Expo held in Chicago. The family indicated he was a collector, a well known physician and worked at the Expo. Research indicates the Mint did in fact have a display of their current coinage at the expo. Absolutely original and quite amazing! The Dollar is the finest known by three grade points, the Half has just one coin graded finer at a 67+ and the Dime has only one coin graded finer as a 68+.

Asking $145K

Heck of a set, and a great story as well......Gotta love original sets like this, because they are just so damn rare now. Priced very high due to the high grades. Thanks for sending that!

• Options
    edited May 21, 2020 12:56PM

Coins that make you go: huh?
    A nice 1908-S PC45 Cert # 24523939. This coin sold for over $1000. in 2012 at HA. Price Guide is close to 1/3rd of that today.

Always on the lookout for nice PC XF... wouldn't pay $1K though. Appreciative of the @JeffMTampa PC35. Jeff, thanks once again...

• Tim

• Options

Doesn't surprise me at all considering the PCGS Guide is high on most series and ridiculously low on most in the Barber Series.

@sedulous said:
    Coins that make you go: huh?
    A nice 1908-S PC45 Cert # 24523939. This coin sold for over $1000. in 2012 at HA. Price Guide is close to 1/3rd of that today.

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Always on the lookout for nice PC XF... wouldn't pay $1K though. Appreciative of the @JeffMTampa PC35. Jeff, thanks once again...

• Tim

Another of the PC 35 that Tim is now the caretaker of:

• Options

I just looked at Coinfacts- this 1908 S sold for $840 at a Heritage Auction in 2017:

Back in 2013 an AU 58 was selling for over $3K. I bought the raw one I recently submitted to PCGS for $800. It came back as a 58. A wild ride for this date.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    This was discussed here before. I don't think anyone came up with a clear S example!

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:
    I'm with Dogwood on details of the 14-S Quarter Jeff! I just hope that scratch across the cheek doesn't play into the grade.

You think it will get a Details grade? I was going to crack it out and submit it raw, but I may need to re-think.

I haven't had time to do much research recently. I'm curious about the blob MM; isn't that common for this date?

Blob "S" is common. 'Somewhat' clear S is rare to very rare.

This is the near-clear MM I am discussing. Jeff's current PC15 looks pretty good. The G6 on PCGS CoinFacts might be another. Gotta keep your eyes open for clearer examples. You are right that almost all, or at least of a majority is filled.

• Options

That looks like an added MM!

@sedulous said:

@amwldcoin said:
    This was discussed here before. I don't think anyone came up with a clear S example!

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:
    I'm with Dogwood on details of the 14-S Quarter Jeff! I just hope that scratch across the cheek doesn't play into the grade.

You think it will get a Details grade? I was going to crack it out and submit it raw, but I may need to re-think.

I haven't had time to do much research recently. I'm curious about the blob MM; isn't that common for this date?

Blob "S" is common. 'Somewhat' clear S is rare to very rare.

This is the near-clear MM I am discussing. Jeff's current PC15 looks pretty good. The G6 on PCGS CoinFacts might be another. Gotta keep your eyes open for clearer examples. You are right that almost all, or at least of a majority is filled.

• Options

Another newp. A 1905-S Barber Quarter in XF40 with green CAC sticker. Brokered through Lenny @paesan from Dave's @Srotag collection. Nice coin IMO. I am eventually going to work on better pictures. The plan is to eventually, pictorially re-capture each coin in the collection in a more uniform way. Thanks guys.

• T

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    I recently purchased a raw '99 S Quarter:

My hope is to be able to send it to PCGS one day for grading. My suspicion it's 55 to 58 material. I'm hoping the scratch on the jaw will just be viewed as an innocent battle scar....

The grades from an order at PCGS posted this afternoon; the above coin made it to an AU55 holder. That's a slight upgrade to the AU 53 currently in my set. I remember purchasing this coin on eBay around March 1st, but I can't remember from who or how much I paid. I went to the "My Purchases" section of my eBay account to look it up- it's not there.

I've previously experienced purchases disappearing from eBay, but typically older stuff. Does anyone know how to find items on eBay that have disappeared?

• Options

click on the year, not the past 2 or 3 months. I've never seen a purchase disappear from my records. Of course...with your scanty memory...maybe you saw it on ebay and purchased it off of ebay! ;)

@JeffMTampa said:

@JeffMTampa said:

My hope is to be able to send it to PCGS one day for grading. My suspicion it's 55 to 58 material. I'm hoping the scratch on the jaw will just be viewed as an innocent battle scar....

The grades from an order at PCGS posted this afternoon; the above coin made it to an AU55 holder. That's a slight upgrade to the AU 53 currently in my set. I remember purchasing this coin on eBay around March 1st, but I can't remember from who or how much I paid. I went to the "My Purchases" section of my eBay account to look it up- it's not there.

I've previously experienced purchases disappearing from eBay, but typically older stuff. Does anyone know how to find items on eBay that have disappeared?

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    click on the year, not the past 2 or 3 months. I've never seen a purchase disappear from my records. Of course...with your scanty memory...maybe you saw it on ebay and purchased it off of ebay! ;)

@JeffMTampa said:

@JeffMTampa said:

I am getting old, but not that forgetful. I looked under the "Cancelled Orders" section and there it was! When I click on the cancelled item it says I purchased it. Go figure...….

• Options

Every year, what I do is .pdf print the entire year's Ebay purchases then archive it.

• Options

A couple of my orders were graded last week, and began listing some duplicates for sale. One of them was an 1898 S Barber Quarter in a PCGS AU53 holder. I've had the coin for several years, but my recent interest in extreme macro photography prompted me to take another look at the coin up close.

Flynn's Reference Book on Barber Quarters lists a RPM for the '98 S Quarter. My AU53 appears to have a RPM:

I don't think this is the same one as in Flynn's book; the description implies the doubling involves the lower serif. Thoughts on if this is a RPM?

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    A couple of my orders were graded last week, and began listing some duplicates for sale. One of them was an 1898 S Barber Quarter in a PCGS AU53 holder. I've had the coin for several years, but my recent interest in extreme macro photography prompted me to take another look at the coin up close.

Flynn's Reference Book on Barber Quarters lists a RPM for the '98 S Quarter. My AU53 appears to have a RPM:

I don't think this is the same one as in Flynn's book; the description implies the doubling involves the lower serif. Thoughts on if this is a RPM?

Ah man is that a sweet coin, the mintmark looks like an S/S to me. The '98-S is a risky date to that prediction being the issue is fraught with machine doubling.

The Flynn reference states 'Repunched S north seen above the bottom and middle of the S.' Yours Jeff has something additional on top of the MM. Wow.

• Options

I do see machine doubling on the reverse of this coin as well. Look at the "R" in the 3rd photo.....

• Options
    edited May 25, 2020 5:57AM

Great, I'll need to get the microscope out to examine S/S on '98's now @JeffMTampa !!!

Jeff. The more I look at the coin, the more I think machine doubling is at play. Let's see what Steve Hustad thinks. I have forwarded the images to him along with John Frost for another opinion. I have another '98-S machine doubled I will need to pull out and look at. The one I posted here was a more recent acquisition for additional reference (but is NOT the same doubled reverse)

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    I do see machine doubling on the reverse of this coin as well. Look at the "R" in the 3rd photo.....

I am pretty sure that is a RPM Jeff. The look on the "R" looks to me like either gunk or shadow. Is it for sale?

• Options

Is anyone here interested in getting the Liberty Nickel Series added to the Complete Barber Set...since it was designed by Barber? Maybe ever his other work being the Pan Pac Half Commem. I think that would be neat.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@JeffMTampa said:

I am pretty sure that is a RPM Jeff. The look on the "R" looks to me like either gunk or shadow. Is it for sale?

There's machine doubling on the reverse- to the West. The "S" doubling appears N/S to me, so I don't believe it's caused by the machine doubling (but what do I know).

No the coin isn't for sale; at least not now. But someday everything will be for sale.....

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Nice original crusty coin.....just like I like them! :)

• Options

I had some spare time yesterday to work on developing my extreme macro photography skills. To get high quality enlarged photos of elements like a Mint Mark one needs to use a microscope objective attached to a camera (instead of a lens). When using a 10X objective the focal plane isn't much deeper than a sheet of paper, so multiple shots at various focal points are necessary. The shots are then "stacked" in Photoshop and digitally combined to create a single photo. What I learned is this takes a LOT of RAM in the computer when you have a lot of images. I need to upgrade the memory in my laptop- it was so slow to process!

Here's an example of an 1893 O Quarter in a PC AU58 holder with a RPM:

The last photo is the stacked one. I only used 4 shots; I should have used about 8 to get it in better focus but my computer need RAM. This RPM is not recognized by PCGS, but is mentioned in Flynn's book.

• Options

Amazing photography skills!

• Options

You skills are really improving...getting right their with the pros Jeff!

• Options
    edited May 26, 2020 3:17PM

@JeffMTampa that is a very neat RPM on the 98-O and a great Photo!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2020 7:00AM

I received this 1892 25C PCGS AU58 back from @messydesk after variety attribution...it's not what I thought it was (TDR), but John straightened me out on another variety (L-103 DDR);

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:
    I received this 1892-O 25C PCGS AU58 back from @messydesk after variety attribution...it's not what I thought it was (TDR), but John straightened me out on another variety (L-103 DDR);

Gorgeous coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file