Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Darrell. Tough half

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found out there are now 57 graded uncirculated at PCGS. For NGC, 32 are noted for that population in uncirculated. In AU58, it is (PCGS) 8 (along with an additional 1 in 58+) and 8 (NGC) respectfully.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

Drool worthy:

• JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2020 10:37AM

Here's another recent pickup, an 1894 O Quarter in a NGC holder:

This is the Far Right MM variety; my current example is in a "cleaned" holder.

Guess the grade!

It will be making it's way to our hosts for a new holder soon.

I love them Barber Halves.....

@JeffMTampa said:

Guess the grade!

Nice coin, I would say 55 straight grade for my guess... cheek seems that way to me. Being a New Orleans mint, strike actually seems pretty decent. The upper right corner of the shield is there albeit a touch worn on that corner. Pretty good obverse hair detail below the motto.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with sedulous.

@JeffMTampa said:

Guess the grade!

EF-45?

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my favorite thread

Frank

BHNC #203

edited June 15, 2020 1:07PM

Photograde images of a XF 45 Barber Quarter:

Photograde images of an AU 55 Barber Quarter:

Please, don't anyone guess VF35.

• jedmjedm Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impression was 53 but a 55 would not be a big surprise either.

edited June 16, 2020 4:50AM

Although there is no prize, @Eldorado9 wins with the correct guess:

NGC grading standards don't appear tp align with Photograde.

That's a great example of what we were talking about Sunday Jeff!

@JeffMTampa said:
    Although there is no prize, @Eldorado9 wins with the correct guess:

My internet grading mojo is working! Actually the design detail level certainly looks AU-50, but I think it knocked down to EF-45 based on the chatter in the fields?

My thought is the coin has the remaining details of a 55 but could go 53 due the marks on the face. I've seen some very inconsistently graded coins from NGC; some over and some under.

This one will make it to our hosts for a second opinion.

@JeffMTampa said:
    Although there is no prize, @Eldorado9 wins with the correct guess...

It seems lately that our hosts and NGC are trying to out-do each other in seeing who can be the most conservative. That is an AU coin.

I purchased an 1898 S Barber Quarter in an ANACS 58 holder back in April and submitted it raw. It came back from our hosts in an AU55 holder:

I like the color on this one.

@JeffMTampa said:
    I purchased an 1898 S Barber Quarter in an ANACS 58 holder back in April and submitted it raw. It came back from our hosts in an AU55 holder:

I love the color on that one!

@jedm said:

@JeffMTampa said:

I love the color on that one!

Agree Jed, mesmerizing... especially the reverse with that perfect album toning! Way to go Jeff!

About 3 months ago I purchased a raw 1893 O Half with a struck thru error on the face. It was submitted to PCGS and came back in an AU 50 holder:

Nothing exciting, but the thread needed to be bumped.

@JeffMTampa said:
    About 3 months ago I purchased a raw 1893 O Half with a struck thru error on the face. It was submitted to PCGS and came back in an AU 50 holder:

Jeff, nice pickup.
    I'm curious to know how do you tell if that is a strike thru or whether it's pmd? I think I know, but want to get a more experienced opinion.
    Is the mark on the eye also one of the same?

edited June 19, 2020 8:39AM

I won this one a few days back.... waiting for her to arrive. Just a bit of an upgrade from my current example.

@jedm said:

@JeffMTampa said:

>

Jeff, nice pickup.
    I'm curious to know how do you tell if that is a strike thru or whether it's pmd? I think I know, but want to get a more experienced opinion.
    Is the mark on the eye also one of the same?

The reality is there's no absolute way to know if the depression is PMD or Struck Thru. I look at gradual curved depressions as likely to have been caused by struck thru grease. That's what this one looks like. PMD would be irregular in nature and not cupped (radius). Another tell tail sign is the coin was graded by PCGS; they're pretty good at culling out damaged coins.

You are correct, there are more struck thru areas in the eye and above the eye in the wreath:

I have 2 other 1893 O Barber Half Dollars with a struck thru area in the face. Here's one in a PC AU58 holder:

This one is in a PC AU50 holder:

It looks like New Orleans had a grease epidemic in 1893.

93-O halves have a history of terrible strikes. Particularly on the reverse. Look at Jeff’s 58. Correctly graded as minted. I looked quite a while to find one with a good strike

@No Headlights said:
    93-O halves have a history of terrible strikes. Particularly on the reverse. Look at Jeff’s 58. Correctly graded as minted. I looked quite a while to find one with a good strike

You are right, that looks horrible... but in a cool coin sort of way

And here's my attractive '93 O Half:

@JeffMTampa said:
    And here's my attractive '93 O Half:

All I can say is "wow". You've done good kid.

I can use some help. Trying to identify 1893-O Barber Quarter mintmark placements. The Feigenbaum 2nd Edition book says there are four mintmark placements. They argued on the second page that the "No. 101" image and the image shown to the right of it are different placements but they look the same to me... so I will say they are the same "centered O MM" and leave it at that. Let me know from your collections of 1893-O BQ's which of the following you have (or something different). This is a part of my mintmark studies for the series. Thanks.

• Tim

Feigenbaum had a good start, but he missed some MM positions.

I've been researching and purchasing numerous examples of the '93 O Quarter for MM placements for around 5 months. I was unaware of Feigenbaum's study until Tim brought it to my attention today. I thought I was the first to discover the numerous MM positions! I've been working on an article for the BCCS Journal on the topic at which time my findings will be revealed.

Far Right Low could just be a larger mintmark too... and it just looks like the O mintmark is closer to the D... FYI. Need micromeasuring with macro photography.

• paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recently acquired and perhaps my favorite sleeper date. PCGS VF-20.

More coins, less government.

And one from Srotag's fabulous collection. (Photos courtesy Barberkeys)

Here is an interesting Quarter in PL I ran across.....I've been looking to put together a 1899-o mint state set.

Nice set of 1899-o's...I like the date.

@paesan said:
    And one from Srotag's fabulous collection. (Photos courtesy Barberkeys)

Gorgeous '11-S CAC Lenny! Here is my XF40 and an F15 spare in PC holder

Sorry for the poor pics.

• T

@paesan said:
    Recently acquired and perhaps my favorite sleeper date. PCGS VF-20.

I like the '07-S as well. Here is a nice Fine raw specimen.

• T

Another from Srotag...Photos courtesy Barberkeys. PC45CAC.

E> @paesan said:

Another from Srotag...Photos courtesy Barberkeys. PC45CAC.

Very nice Lenny!

Several years ago I purchased an 1897 O Half with a significant planchet flaw on the reverse:

It had significant scratches/ digs on the Obverse as well; obvious PMD. I purchased the coin for the planchet flaw, guessing it wouldn't grade due to the PMD on the obverse.

The coin sat around loose for a couple of years in a drawer. Because it wasn't in a holder it didn't seem to be part of my collection; it was isolated from the rest of it's Barber friends. This spring I decided to submit it to PCGS so it would be housed in a holder and could be placed in a Blue PCGS box with the rest of my Barber oddities. My expectations were the coin would be returned N1, Damaged.

The coin graded Fine Details (93- Planchet Flaw). I'm happy that our hosts acknowledged the Reverse defect as a planchet flaw, and didn't simply state "damaged". It is curious, however, that a "Mint Made" product would get "bagged" rather than graded. I'm curious what would have happened if the coin had been submitted on the "Error" tier?

I was going to say why didn't you submit it as an error!

@JeffMTampa said:
    Several years ago I purchased an 1897 O Half with a significant planchet flaw on the reverse:

It had significant scratches/ digs on the Obverse as well; obvious PMD. I purchased the coin for the planchet flaw, guessing it wouldn't grade due to the PMD on the obverse.

The coin sat around loose for a couple of years in a drawer. Because it wasn't in a holder it didn't seem to be part of my collection; it was isolated from the rest of it's Barber friends. This spring I decided to submit it to PCGS so it would be housed in a holder and could be placed in a Blue PCGS box with the rest of my Barber oddities. My expectations were the coin would be returned N1, Damaged.

The coin graded Fine Details (93- Planchet Flaw). I'm happy that our hosts acknowledged the Reverse defect as a planchet flaw, and didn't simply state "damaged". It is curious, however, that a "Mint Made" product would get "bagged" rather than graded. I'm curious what would have happened if the coin had been submitted on the "Error" tier?

@amwldcoin said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Hhhmmm…. Let's see. If I submit it as an "Error there's a $65 grading fee, a $10 Service Fee, and Return Postage. Close to $100 vs. $23 for an Economy submission. Any thoughts on what the holder would say if it was submitted as an error? Do they put a grade on error coins?

Dang Jeff! I've never submitted an error. LOL! I never realized the fee was that high! I suspect the Planchet Flaw outweighed the scratches so it might come back details due to the scratches. Yes, they do assign a grade to errors. If it says Planchet Flaw on the holder and is not just a number code I wouldn't worry about it!(and still might not if it's just in the coding)

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Hhhmmm…. Let's see. If I submit it as an "Error there's a $65 grading fee, a $10 Service Fee, and Return Postage. Close to $100 vs. $23 for an Economy submission. Any thoughts on what the holder would say if it was submitted as an error? Do they put a grade on error coins?

@amwldcoin said:
    Dang Jeff! I've never submitted an error. LOL! I never realized the fee was that high! I suspect the Planchet Flaw outweighed the scratches so it might come back details due to the scratches. Yes, they do assign a grade to errors. If it says Planchet Flaw on the holder and is not just a number code I wouldn't worry about it!(and still might not if it's just in the coding)

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Jeff, I don't think a variety submission would do you any good unless there is a corresponding PCGS # you can find out on PCGS CoinFacts... but what do I know.

Here's something you don't see everyday. The first two 1907 S/S RPM quarters made at PCGS (Consecutive cert #s.) Since then, only one VF-35 has been added. No auction records exist.

This is not a variety! It's an error!

@sedulous said:

@amwldcoin said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Jeff, I don't think a variety submission would do you any good unless there is a corresponding PCGS # you can find out on PCGS CoinFacts... but what do I know.

@amwldcoin said:
    This is not a variety! It's an error!

@sedulous said:

@amwldcoin said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Oops, right.

Here is a tough date, the 1901-O quarter.
    Any of you have nice XF / AU?

PCGS VF20...

NGC F12...

• T

@paesan said:
    Here's something you don't see everyday. The first two 1907 S/S RPM quarters made at PCGS (Consecutive cert #s.) Since then, only one VF-35 has been added. No auction records exist.

Very nice, Lenny! Do you own both?

The other '07 S RPM FS-501 in a PC VF 35 holder is in my collection. I purchased it in this holder:

Then submitted it for variety attribution. Here's the RPM:

Earlier this year I purchased a colorful raw '07 S that now sits in a PC AU55 holder:

And here's it's RPM:

I don't believe this Triple RPM has been previously reported. I'm writing an article for the BCCS Journal to share. There must be more of these out there, but it's a tough date in nicer grades.

Jeff - Yes, they are in The Stash. I see that I'm not the only one with a stash in South Florida! Now we can be known for something other than, well.....you know. Nice triple repunch by the way!

Here's a 7-S from The Swede's collection, but will be coming back home soon!
    (Photos courtesy Barberkeys)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file