Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just ordered one

Positive BST Transactions with:
INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In. Thanks for the heads up!

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got some too. I have been checking his website daily for a while.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the alert & got mine.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got 3, thank you!
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat - wonder what the production number is??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • nk1nknk1nk Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭
    So cool, thanks for the heads up!
  • PRIZ430PRIZ430 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    2000 total production
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PRIZ430

2000 total production

What was the total production number for his 1964 Peace dollar?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• PRIZ430PRIZ430 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    The 1964 Peace Dollar total production was 1,964
  • drfishdrfish Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭
    Daniel says combined mintage of bulk and high grade finish Morgans will be 1964
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $119 for 1 oz silver "fantasy coin" ...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Until just a few months ago we did not know that 1964 Morgan dollar dies exist. Considering the Byzantine secrecy at the U.S. Mint, can we be absolutely certain that no trial trikes of a 1964 Morgan dollar exist in that government storage room seen at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark?"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

Until just a few months ago we did not know that 1964 Morgan dollar dies exist. Considering the Byzantine secrecy at the U.S. Mint, can we be absolutely certain that no trial trikes of a 1964 Morgan dollar exist in that government storage room seen at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark?"

My conscience is clear ; )

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    Originally posted by: OPA

$119 for 1 oz silver "fantasy coin" ...

He is striking them over real Morgan dollars so they have 0.77 ounces of silver. These are collector coins rather than bullion silver rounds and they are certainly not for everyone. These will sell out and do quite well in the secondary market just as his 1964 Peace dollar did.

• 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    Cant wait for the proof !
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice fantasy strike.
  • CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

The dies found recently were unfinished. So at this point, it is safe to say they didn't make any.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up Twobitcollertor. I didn't miss this one because of you. Order in process.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CuKevin

The dies found recently were unfinished. So at this point, it is safe to say they didn't make any.

What do you mean "unfinished?" Explain your comment.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Originally posted by: CuKevin

What do you mean "unfinished?" Explain your comment.

they found hubs and a galvano...no working dies?

• felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up, Twobitcollector! I just bought a few.
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Lookin Out playa! Just added 1 high grade piece to my collection image
    A little expense but I bought a couple.image

• treybenedicttreybenedict Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    Picked up 2, they look great image
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pricey but I'm in, missed out on the Peace dollars.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just bought two of the high grade.

D_Carr Link
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PerryHall
    A little expense but I bought a couple.image

Same here

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • treybenedicttreybenedict Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Goldbully
    Just bought two of the high grade.

D_Carr Link

On the original page where you buy it says limited to 1964 for all strikes. Thanks for posting that info though!
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ordered at 6am. Can't wait to get them in hand!
    The more you VAM..
  • drfishdrfish Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice work Dan! Will you be producing proofs or prooflike versions?
  • oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
    get it sold out keep buying
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    cool
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got mine...order #1203x.

Thx for the heads up 2bit.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

I recalled reading this Tom and I now have concerns.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    can we be absolutely certain that no trial trikes of a 1964 Morgan dollar exist

What difference does it make?
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jessewvu
    can we be absolutely certain that no trial trikes of a 1964 Morgan dollar exist

What difference does it make?

One of his chief arguments is that his pieces are not counterfeits because none of them exist. If a 1964 Morgan exists, its existence would undermine his argument. Of course changing the date isn't enough anyway to change the legal status (either way) so I guess it is a moot point.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: drfish
    Nice work Dan! Will you be producing proofs or prooflike versions?

Thanks,
    Towards the end of my previous "1964-D" Peace Dollar over-striking I produced some proof-like and matte proof finishes. The Peace design makes for a better matte proof than it does a cameo proof. The Morgan design is the other way around - it looks strange with a matte finish but great as a "DMPL".

So I will probably make some sort of DMPL version a little later on.

Originally posted by: 19Lyds

There is no indication whatsoever that the US Mint ever struck any 1964 Morgan Dollars. If in the unlikely event that some test strikes were produced, they would have been done at the Philadelphia Mint. As such, they would lack the "D" mint mark that my over-strikes have.
  • callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up! It's a little pricey but such a cool piece, had to get 1.
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dcarr

There is no indication whatsoever that the US Mint ever struck any 1964 Morgan Dollars. If in the unlikely event that some test strikes were produced, they would have been done at the Philadelphia Mint. As such, they would lack the "D" mint mark that my over-strikes have.

1964-D Peace Dollar trial strikes were produced in Denver. Why would the Morgan be any different?
    Originally posted by: cameonut2011
    Originally posted by: dcarr

1964-D Peace Dollar trial strikes were produced in Denver. Why would the Morgan be any different?

I believe the 316,076 1964-D Peace Dollars struck in Denver were intended as actual production coins, not trial strikes. You don't need that many strikes for a trial.

There is, however, some indication that the Philadelphia Mint struck a few 1964 Peace Dollar trials (without a "D" mint mark).

Also, no 1964 Morgan Dollar dies were found with a "D" mint mark.

Originally posted by: callawayc7

Thanks for the heads up! It's a little pricey but such a cool piece, had to get 1.

Just wait until you see the DMPL prices then lol. In all seriousness though they are not expensive at all in context. Just try getting one for issue price after they sell out
    The more you VAM..
    Some folks use the same logic here to prove coins exist as folks do to prove Bigfoot exists.

Originally posted by: CascadeChris

Originally posted by: callawayc7

Just wait until you see the DMPL prices then lol. In all seriousness though they are not expensive at all in context. Just try getting one for issue price after they sell out

If they are anything like the 1964 Peace dollar they will do quite well in the secondary market. Actually when you consider that Morgan dollar collectors are far more numerous than Peace dollar collectors they should do exceptionally well on the secondary market. Obviously, not every Morgan dollar collector will want one but with such a low mintage it won't take many to exhaust the supply. Of course many will be bought by non-Morgan dollar collectors who like unusual and interesting rare coins.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely in.... Cheers, RickO
  • Dan you don't have to reply to my Cameo e-mail. Kinda got your answer on here, can't wait to see these!
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    Bought one to go with the Peace Dollar PL. Looking forward to the DMPL if it doesn't sell out right away.
  • Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    just got 5 of the high grade!!!

I usually stay away from things like this but its to dam cool not to!

Time to take some state quarters to the bank before i get an ear full from the wife!
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
    Originally posted by: Booger9989

just got 5 of the high grade!!!

I usually stay away from things like this but its to dam cool not to!

Time to take some state quarters to the bank before i get an ear full from the wife!

Lol. Just make sure they're not Rhode Island or New York
    The more you VAM..
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

If they are anything like the 1964 Peace dollar they will do quite well in the secondary market. Actually when you consider that Morgan dollar collectors are far more numerous than Peace dollar collectors they should do exceptionally well on the secondary market. Obviously, not every Morgan dollar collector will want one but with such a low mintage it won't take many to exhaust the supply. Of course many will be bought by non-Morgan dollar collectors who like unusual and interesting rare coins.

Dan already did a Morgan Dollar overstrike a few years ago, the 1909-o Dollars. Those were and still are quite popular, but they still don't sell for the same levels as the 1964-D Peace Dollars that he did. And less than 600 1909-o Morgan Dollars were made. So just being a Morgan Dollar isn't enough. If that were the case, all else equal, the 1909-o Morgans should be selling for much more than the 1964-D Peace Dollars with their much lower mintages... but that just isn't the case.

I ordered a few of the 1964 Morgans because I think they are cool, but I don't think they'll match the values of the 1964 Peace Dollars simply because they are Morgans.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file