Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

"This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."

Or maybe the seller thought $400 was underpriced? :)

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcoopie said:
    in the table above why does it say 1965 under die pair?

Error, now corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Dan. Since you're on the thread - have you ever tried an over strike on an attractively toned host coin? Thanks !

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

my obverse has ghosting. however, it's not as apparent as the photos above depict, until you get it under a loop. i do believe it's similar to the coin shown.

i also see ghosting of the date and heavy contact marks from the host coin. however, the surfaces are smooth and the strike, sharp.

the reverse however, shows no signs of ghosting whatsoever.

i think this coin will end up toning wildly due to the host coin. i have a 63 kennedy that is toning beautifully and i think it's due to the original coin. it has a beautiful golden hue developing on both sides from 4 to 8 obv, 10 to 2 rev.

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

One of the bilk handled ones I bought has machine doubling on the reverse. Still a beautiful restrike with perfect obverse which I enjoy and have no desire at all if ever returning.
    Again, I really think Dan does an outstanding job and adds a lot to collecting.

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mariner67 said:
    One of the bilk handled ones I bought has machine doubling on the reverse. Still a beautiful restrike with perfect obverse which I enjoy and have no desire at all if ever returning.
    Again, I really think Dan does an outstanding job and adds a lot to collecting.

I hope you meant "bulk" rather that "bilk" or was that a Freudian slip? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine arrived today, it's a beauty and my photo doesn't do it justice

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2016 8:09PM

Would you believe that one already sold on ebay for $225 ?

A 1964-D "Peace Dollar" die pair 6 high grade finish went for $547.87 !

Dan Fan
  • Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

Doesn't seem right to sell them for that much when Dan still has them for sale

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Received both of mine....One is perfect....but the second one has 2 visible contact marks on the reverse and will be returned for an exchange. I'm awaiting a reply from Dan on how to proceed.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2016 12:10PM

I missed the micro o (among others) so I'm getting this one.

he's missing a few orders and much, much money from me due to my lack of frequent checking of his website.

I wish he's make a mailing list for new issues.

So..... he wants to make a complete type set.... does he melt generic $20 gold to make 20 $1 gold or 5 $4 stellas (if that's even possible for them) ? overstriking some issues ($4) would seem cost prohibitive as well as personal plus numismatic suicide...

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to see him make San Francisco Exposition fantasy duplicates. The octagon one would be fantastic.

• Options

Ordered mine on 12th

Anyone in the same boat?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2016 10:38PM

speaking of many things
    1. dcarr gold
    2. "type" set (quotes used for reasons below)
    3. I wish he made....
    4. counterfeits or not? illegal or not?

there is the traditional type set.
    then there is the "exo-type" addition(s) - pioneer gold coins (more properly: tokens).

I don't think they need to be over struck if there is a current year date and one is careful to steer clear of indications of it being us money. I think they'd be legal as tokens, too.

I wish he'd make some pioneer gold.

perhaps this one might not be too cost prohibitive, but perhaps so:
    1855 $50 Kellogg (Proof)
    1855 $50 Kellogg (Proof) Obverse1855 $50 Kellogg (Proof) Reverse

It has the benefit of being denominated in "DOLLS." and I think all a newly mined California gold token would need is a current date for it to be legal. Although, it'd be pricey.

Is there still mining in Georgia? I note the 1830 templeton reid 2.50 piece doesn't have a denomination, just a number.
    1830 $2.50 Templeton Reid (Regular Strike) Obverse1830 $2.50 Templeton Reid (Regular Strike) Reverse

simply put a current date on it.

• Options

@drfish said:
    Hi Dan. Since you're on the thread - have you ever tried an over strike on an attractively toned host coin? Thanks !

I have over-struck coins that had colorful (but unattractive and/or artificial) toning.
    The color tends to get washed out and what remains is usually a somewhat drab gray/brown with some bright "pull-away" breaks in the toning in high-stress areas such as next to lettering near the rim.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

he's missing a few orders and much, much money from me due to my lack of frequent checking of his website.

So..... he wants to make a complete type set.... does he melt generic $20 gold to make 20 $1 gold or 5 $4 stellas (if that's even possible for them) ? overstriking some issues ($4) would seem cost prohibitive as well as personal plus numismatic suicide...

I would not consider over-striking a $4 Stella due to the cost and rarity of the originals (contrary to what some have claimed, I do not want to destroy rare coins - I only use relatively common coins, especially those that have been impaired due to harsh cleaning). One-Dollar gold pieces are readily available and common enough that I could use them, especially polished ex-jewelry examples (so long as they are not holed or soldered).

I also do not melt or heat the host coins. Nor do I remove any metal from them (other than trace amounts that might come off during cleaning).

• Options

@Kudbegud said:
    I would love to see him make San Francisco Exposition fantasy duplicates. The octagon one would be fantastic.

If you are referring to the 1915 $50 "Pan Pac", I have done a couple similar things:

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Ordered mine on 12th

Anyone in the same boat?

I spent the last few days at the Denver coin show. I was able to pick up a quantity of Morgan Dollars so that I can continue production. I'll be working on producing and shipping the next batch in a couple days.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2016 12:41AM

@MsMorrisine said:
    speaking of many things
    1. dcarr gold
    2. "type" set (quotes used for reasons below)
    3. I wish he made....
    4. counterfeits or not? illegal or not?

there is the traditional type set.
    then there is the "exo-type" addition(s) - pioneer gold coins (more properly: tokens).

I don't think they need to be over struck if there is a current year date and one is careful to steer clear of indications of it being us money. I think they'd be legal as tokens, too.

I wish he'd make some pioneer gold.

perhaps this one might not be too cost prohibitive, but perhaps so:
    1855 $50 Kellogg (Proof)
    1855 $50 Kellogg (Proof) Obverse1855 $50 Kellogg (Proof) Reverse

It has the benefit of being denominated in "DOLLS." and I think all a newly mined California gold token would need is a current date for it to be legal. Although, it'd be pricey.

Is there still mining in Georgia? I note the 1830 templeton reid 2.50 piece doesn't have a denomination, just a number.
    1830 $2.50 Templeton Reid (Regular Strike) Obverse1830 $2.50 Templeton Reid (Regular Strike) Reverse

simply put a current date on it.

I have considered such things.
    But, as a Colorado native and the owner of the "Clark Gruber" brand name, I'm sticking to that for now.
    Also, since I am located in Colorado, I have occasional access to newly-mined Colorado gold and silver.
    So it seems fitting to use it in producing items with the historic pioneer Clark Gruber brand.
    I'm currently preparing to make 2016 Clark Gruber gold coins and silver bars.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@MsMorrisine said:

I would not consider over-striking a $4 Stella due to the cost and rarity of the originals (contrary to what some have claimed, I do not want to destroy rare coins - I only use relatively common coins, especially those that have been impaired due to harsh cleaning). One-Dollar gold pieces are readily available and common enough that I could use them, especially polished ex-jewelry examples (so long as they are not holed or soldered).

I also do not melt or heat the host coins. Nor do I remove any metal from them (other than trace amounts that might come off during cleaning).

I know you use impaired common coins, but was just curious about a $4 as that would certainly be a challenge coin, if I can make a bad pun.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received my package from Dan, I hope my example shows hints of the host coin. That would make it all the more interesting to me. We'll see when I get around to opening it up!

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got mine and they all look killer. Keep up the great work brother!

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@WildIdea said:
    I just received my package from Dan, I hope my example shows hints of the host coin. That would make it all the more interesting to me. We'll see when I get around to opening it up!

I only bought one. Looks pretty neat! A few effects going on around the denticles and thats all I see of the host coin. Pretty cool addition to the growing Carr collection. Thanks!

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Waiting for my order, placed on 13-OCT-16, #1215X.
    I'm patient, will be like an Early Christmas.
    Still thinking of a way to display it alongside my 1964 Peace dollar in matte proof.
    Need something I can display all of Daniels works in-on.
    They are really accumulating, with 'fantasy overstrikes', silver bars, etc.

• Options
    VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine arrived today ~ Ordered October 9th. Superb quality with exceptional strike. Well worth the wait and looking forward to the next die pair.

Dan Fan
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2016 3:57PM

@PRECIOUSMENTAL said:
    Still thinking of a way to display it alongside my 1964 Peace dollar in matte proof.
    They are really accumulating, with 'fantasy overstrikes', silver bars, etc.

Oddly enough I like the look of it paired with his 65 peace dollar better than a 64/64 pairing

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    Spectacular work, Dan!
    Lance.

Great images, Lance.

A testament to Dan's talent.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin

Spectacular photography!

• Options

@PRECIOUSMENTAL said:
    They are really accumulating, with 'fantasy overstrikes', silver

I hear you! It would be nice to have them organized in some way. I personally think Dan sends his items in rather neat packaging and I've decided to make clean cuts along the edge and view only to replace and file as they came. I feel it's like original mint packaging and will be valued someday along with the coins. Other than the pieces I've been lucky enough to buy directly while attending the Denver coin expos.

• Options
    edited November 2, 2016 10:25PM

Would you rather have a 64 DMPL with modern mirrors or the mirrors of a Classic DMPL Morgan?
    I think It'd be interesting to have a less than perfect set of mirrors.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got mine and liked it as well. Some have a bit more of the reverse eagle's feather details....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

no comment

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received mine a few days ago- can see the host coin date 1921. Very beautiful work Dan!

Also, I have a couple of your Clark Gruber 1/10 oz. $200 gold. Cool that you used Colorado gold in the series- that was a big draw for me. Have you ever thought of producing tokens with a different provenance of gold, and indicating that on token- such as Alaska, California, or, any other states where active gold mines are located? Ohio would be a bust...I've found a few flecks here- our gold comes from glacial deposits so is of no real consequence.

Thanks

• Options

@PocketArt said:
    I received mine a few days ago- can see the host coin date 1921. Very beautiful work Dan!

Also, I have a couple of your Clark Gruber 1/10 oz. $200 gold. Cool that you used Colorado gold in the series- that was a big draw for me. Have you ever thought of producing tokens with a different provenance of gold, and indicating that on token- such as Alaska, California, or, any other states where active gold mines are located? Ohio would be a bust...I've found a few flecks here- our gold comes from glacial deposits so is of no real consequence.

Thanks

That is possible. I have a friend who sometimes acquires native placer gold from Alaska and Australia, in addition to the local newly-mined gold he frequently acquires here in Colorado. I don't recall him ever obtaining any native California gold, other than perhaps a few nugget specimens which would not be melted. I don't know of any token or medal which has been made from native Nevada gold, but that is one that I'd like to do some time.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Latest production report.......

http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_18.htm

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:
    Hey Dan...how about a 45th Presidential "Fantasy" Hillary Clinton dollar??? ;)

...maybe with the motto "Close but No Cigar!"

It would make more sense to overstrike some presidential dollar coins with a President Trump portrait to honor our next president. This would be a neat fantasy coin that would be popular with many collectors.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or for target practice?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

It would make more sense to overstrike some presidential dollar coins with a President Trump portrait to honor our next president. This would be a neat fantasy coin that would be popular with many collectors.

...yeah...maybe part of his "Reality" coin series for that one...but the true "Fantasy" coin is a coin with HRC on it...cause it's a coin The US Mint...will NEVER mint.

• Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

My die pair 1 high grade shows machine doubling.

• Options

@SCDHunter said:

You got one too!? I'm soooo jealous! As a vammer this effect is cool imo. If you don't like it and want to trade for a regular strike hit me up :smile:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping mine will arrive today. :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2016 11:08AM

@CascadeChris said:

@SCDHunter said:

@SCDHunter said:

Yeah, a hundred years later.

Nice coin, nice pics. What did you use for the pics, a Dynolyte?

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

and then have monica lewinski on the reverse with a cigar.

• Options

@steveben said:

and then have monica lewinski on the reverse with a cigar.

In an arc across the top of the coin I could put:

HILLARY GODDAMN CLINTON

PS:
    ALL pending orders will be ready for shipping by tomorrow.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Huh, I guess that's no

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Twobitcollector said:
    Mine arrived today, it's a beauty and my photo doesn't do it justice

that does look real nice. got an email yesterday and mine is on the way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file