Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

My 2 were in the PO Box this morning. They look amazing. Thanks DCarr.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2016 5:16PM

@dcarr said:

@PocketArt said:
    I received mine a few days ago- can see the host coin date 1921. Very beautiful work Dan!

Also, I have a couple of your Clark Gruber 1/10 oz. $200 gold. Cool that you used Colorado gold in the series- that was a big draw for me. Have you ever thought of producing tokens with a different provenance of gold, and indicating that on token- such as Alaska, California, or, any other states where active gold mines are located? Ohio would be a bust...I've found a few flecks here- our gold comes from glacial deposits so is of no real consequence.

Thanks

That is possible. I have a friend who sometimes acquires native placer gold from Alaska and Australia, in addition to the local newly-mined gold he frequently acquires here in Colorado. I don't recall him ever obtaining any native California gold, other than perhaps a few nugget specimens which would not be melted. I don't know of any token or medal which has been made from native Nevada gold, but that is one that I'd like to do some time.

back to the exo-type question I posted a few posts up Re: a non-overstrike version of territorial gold

I was going by the denomination on the terr. golds and was trying to stay away from those used on us coins. for instance, the clark gruber terr is "ten d." -- done on a us eagle already. then I recalled afterwards that you already denominate items you sell. I am guessing one way you feel safe with denominating them is the lack of things like "u. s. a."

So, I'd guess the clark gruber terr. gold could probably be made safely from newly mined colo gold and with a current year date. the CG terr does not have USA/IGWT/EPU/Liberty. so, I see your point to prefer using the clark gruber name.

ok, then the quotes above. I assume you'd simply have a MM/CG branded gold coin made from AK, CA, NV gold? OK. but i'll simply add there is opportunity to make modern versions of territorial gold using in state recently mined gold with current year dates. I'll use the psychic powers I don't have and say faithful modern versions of CO clark gruber terr, CA Kellogg terr, and GA templeton reid terr (AK - ?) would sell quite well.

there's something else.

$10 Indians were not minted in 1917, 1918, 1919... 100 years from are coming up... hint hint hint. Like the $20 confederate overstrikes, I know I'd be willing to front a generic details $10 indian to you and pay the "striking fee" in addition.

and I see my 64-D morgan overstrike is in the mail. I can't wait for it to come.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2016 5:13PM

I forgot to mention that I have the 825 CG gold.

I like the odd color, too.

As far as toning, not a single of my carr coins have a spot on them. No spots or toning whatsoever.

Interesting, no?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2016 3:36PM

I see some leftovers as seen in the enlarged image. I love it :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2016 6:10PM

@crazyhounddog said:
    I see some left overs as seen in the enlarged image. I love it :)

Check out your date & pluribus

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not seeing any leftovers.

• Options
    edited November 10, 2016 6:43PM

@robec said:
    I'm not seeing any leftovers.

Hi Bob,
    Looks like a shadow or remnant of letters left over from the original Morgan next to the "T" and "A" in States. At least that's what it looks like to me.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:

@CascadeChris said:

@SCDHunter said:
    My die pair 1 high grade shows machine doubling.

@SCDHunter said:
    My die pair 1 high grade shows machine doubling.

Yeah, a hundred years later.

Nice coin, nice pics. What did you use for the pics, a Dynolyte?

No, it was a quick setup using a Canon 450D with a 18-55mm lens. Not the best lighting, but something to post. There is also doubling on the reverse.

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

@crazyhounddog said:

Which variety did this represent; "High Grade finish" of "Bulk Handled finish"? My "High Grades" are very clean, very nice over-strikes

(l8-)>>

• Options
    edited November 11, 2016 3:26PM

@edgar said:

@CascadeChris said:

@crazyhounddog said:

Which variety did this represent; "High Grade finish" of "Bulk Handled finish"? My "High Grades" are very clean, very nice over-strikes

All overstrikes can and most do have ghosting to some extent. Some have very little to none unless you look really closely. Unless the host coin was perfectly aligned in the press to the new dies when struck some ghosting usually shows to some extent. If you are asking about the offset doublestruck machine doubling specimens some have received. I'm not sure if any are in the "bulk handled" or not. You'll have to ask dan. I've only seen 3 though posted on the forums so far and all were high grade versions. Unfortunately I did not get one :cry:

The more you VAM..
  • Options

I have high grades of other items with strike doubling.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    Ordered mine on 12th

Anyone in the same boat?

yes and it got shipped last this last wednesday. hopefully yours will have gotten shipped as well.

• Options

@CascadeChris said:

@edgar said:

@CascadeChris said:

@crazyhounddog said:

All overstrikes can and most do have ghosting to some extent. Some have very little to none unless you look really closely. Unless the host coin was perfectly aligned in the press to the new dies when struck some ghosting usually shows to some extent. If you are asking about the offset doublestruck machine doubling specimens some have received. I'm not sure if any are in the "bulk handled" or not. You'll have to ask dan. I've only seen 3 though posted on the forums so far and all were high grade versions. Unfortunately I did not get one :cry:

Mine is the high grade finish.

• Options
    edited November 13, 2016 3:47PM

Just picked up a few more high grade on the off chance I get one of those offset double strikes if any are left. Fingers crossed lol

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@CascadeChris said:
    Just picked up a few more high grade on the off chance I get one of those offset double strikes if any are left. Fingers crossed lol

Ghost images of the host coin - common
    Strike doubling - it happens & it appears the later minted items have a better shot

Double struck - did I miss a post? Has someone received a not enough moonlight at the mint error of a double struck item?

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@CascadeChris said:

Ghost images of the host coin - common
    Strike doubling - it happens & it appears the later minted items have a better shot

Double struck - did I miss a post? Has someone received a not enough moonlight at the mint error of a double struck item?

I have seen 3 posted. Maybe it has to do with the production issues Dan was talking about that delayed the first shipment? Since he's probably on his 3rd run though I'm not too hopefull I'll get one. Being a vammer they just look cool but a lot of people don't like them and would rather have a pristine one. Not me. Honestly I just had a couple extra bucks and wanted to get a few more cuz you never know when they'll go poof

The more you VAM..
  • Options

• Options

Nice satin

Is that intentionally allowed toning on the peace?

• Options
    edited November 13, 2016 7:16PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    Nice satin

Is that intentionally allowed toning on the peace?

No Sir, No Mam?
    It's just been sitting just like you see here in this Polyethylene Terephthalate Saflip . Die pair #5

• Options

1964d "bulk handled" is currently unavailable guys. Better get some high grades while you still can!!

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2016 9:27PM

I'm not usually in for stuff like this, but my two coins arrived today. Very nice work. Spooky good. Other than some "ghosting" around the eagle's left wing (viewer's right) there isn't much obvious from the host coin. Very nice luster. In-hand the coins have sharp reeds, very much like a modern ASE.

• Options

Received mine

I enjoy the look of the 90% silver, freshly pressed edge

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:
    1964d "bulk handled" is currently unavailable guys. Better get some high grades while you still can!!

Are we close to a sellout yet?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@CascadeChris said:

Are we close to a sellout yet?

Don't know. Sometimes an offering will say "5 left" "3 left" etc or they are just "currently unavailable" when I check back. I ordered 3 more the other day because I wanted a few more and didn't want to check it and it say "currently unavailable" before I got them. So my advise is if anyone has been thinking of getting 1 or 2 do it sooner rather than later just in case.

The more you VAM..
  • Options

Based on Dan's web site there have been 655 produced so far. With a production limit of 1,964 I don't see a sell out anytime soon.

• Options

655 and 1964 across both categories (HG & BH) ?

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    655 and 1964 across both categories (HG & BH) ?

Yes. The total production limit of 1964 is for all types.

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

This die must be worn out, maybe this is the last of this batch.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2016 1:39PM

When I offered the "1964-D" over-strike Peace Dollars in late 2010 and early 2011, they took about four months to sell out.
    The "1964-D" over-strike Morgan Dollars have been available for a little over a month so far.

Die Pair 1 is still in good order. In fact, the coins coming off it now have a little bit better appearance overall than those produced earlier. I have also produced Die Pair 2 for proof-like over-strikes. I plan to start using it later this week. Both die pairs will be utilized concurrently.

I don't know yet how this will play out, but if I were to make half the issue in brilliant satin and the other half in proof-like, there would be 982 of each. 655 is not all that far from 982, and all of those 655 have been spoken for at this point. The brilliant satin version may have a higher mintage than the proof-like version, however. The proof-like version will be higher priced because they are harder to make and a fairly high percentage of the proof-like over-strikes will be melted due to defects (I'm guessing perhaps 30% or more). I'm not planning to offer a "bulk handled" version of the proof-like over-strikes. With the brilliant satin over-strikes, slightly defective pieces are converted to the bulk-handled category by jingling them around in a bag of nickels. This results in a more-natural appearance than the pristine "high-grade" examples. Doing that to proof-like pieces, however, does not generally produce a pleasing appearance. So such coins will be melted instead.

• Options

deep mirror proof likes? or proof likes?

is there a die prep method that would allow you to generate DMPL with some "mirror imperfections" like the classic coins have?

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just back from the plastic factory

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

I wonder if he needs a second location in carson city....

• Options

I really like that ANACS slab especially with that label. I wish ANACS would have called it a "Fantasy Coin" rather than a token which makes no sense. I wish Dan would do a bulk submission to ANACS and then offer these coins already graded and slabbed. I would certainly be willing to pay more for the convenience of getting this coin already slabbed.

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got mine yesterday. Absolutely beautiful. Nice work Dan

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Received mine today. A little striking weakness on the eagles breast feathers. But I really like it, Hi grade type, Die pair 1 Really nice. I showed to a bullion dealer he thought is was in word "beautiful"

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2016 7:03PM

Gorgeous coins so far! Love the photos everyone!

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins. I have mine parked right next to the Peace dollars.
    I wish PCGS would reconsider housing these as it would be pleasant having them match other dollar
    coins within my collection.

peacockcoins

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Beautiful coins. I have mine parked right next to the Peace dollars.
    I wish PCGS would reconsider housing these as it would be pleasant having them match other dollar
    coins within my collection.

Yep.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@thebigeng said:
    Received mine today. A little striking weakness on the eagles breast feathers. But I really like it, Hi grade type, Die pair 1 Really nice. I showed to a bullion dealer he thought is was in word "beautiful"

Between both all the friends I've literally forced to buy one or two and the people I show it to, who are unfamiliar with Dan Carr, the reactions have been down right amazing.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun did you photo those? wow

@CascadeChris i really enjoyed your post. it may cost me a couple more hundred $

• Options

@steveben said:

@CascadeChris i really enjoyed your post. it may cost me a couple more hundred $

Go for it. Maybe you'll get lucky. I also got one where the host date AND mm are discernible! (1882-s)

Tuff getting pics that show it clearly though but study these and you will see the 882 in the 964 and the S mint mark shows as the lower half of the S to the right of the D coming from under the now ribbon. Almost looks like an O but it clearly shows a lower serif of an S...

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@coinsarefun said:

@steveben said:

Yes, I imaged them myself

You did a really good job !!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:
    Got some cool Morgan "DAM"s (Dan's VAMs) in my latest order that I thought I'd share. I might just have to grab a few more and hope for more awesomeness :smile:

A wicked cool offset TRIPLE strike and one with an almost Matte Proof looking finish

I liked this above but just wanted to mention how cool this is!

• Options
    LewLew Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

I got mine today.
    I can see shadow of date under the 1964.
    Lots of denticles did not line up -- look like some of the pictures above.

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2016 7:01AM

Yesterday I scored ANACS 70's on my owls.

This morning: PROOF LIKE 64-Ds ARE UP! I can't post the link

(l8-)>>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file