Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do most people wanna buy more than one? Well, lets see here. My guess would be so you can jack up the price and make money for yourself. What Dan is doing is limiting the sales so collectors who wants to buy one can do so without having to pay twice or more.
    Great work, Dan :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2016 12:16PM

@epcjimi1 said:

For example, PCGS stopped grade guarantees for copper color and milk spots. Before a certain date, you got guarantees. After a certain date, you didn't. Are you just as upset with those changes?

What? We are talking DCarr. You change to PCGS. Whatever. Typical. Zoino Boingo.

It seems to be what you asked for enlightenment on. I mentioned business changing policies per the quoted text which you responded to.

Me: In business, things change a lot based on circumstances.
    You: Enlighten me.

Are you okay with PCGS changing policy but not Dan?

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

Are you okay with PCGS changing policy but not Dan?

Show me the DCarr policy you cannot cite.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2016 12:30PM

@NotSure said:
    AND..... the 'starburst' holograms are ALREADY sold out this morning! SO glad I pulled the trigger on one YESTERDAY!!!

Glad I ordered one 2 days ago. :)

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2016 12:35PM

What about having the following additional styles of Morgans?

• Antiqued 1964 Morgan Dollar
    • Hologram 1964 Morgan Dollar

Show me the DCarr policy you cannot cite.> @Zoins said:

Again, Show me the DCarr policy you cannot cite.

Just let it go.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can honestly see someone being a little mad if they bought a bunch before he put a limit on them, then being told they will not get what they already paid for. I bought 2, and HOPE I get both. I will not throw a fit if I don't though (but he said orders of 2 might be ok, so hopefully I get them both!). I have zero issues with changing a policy or updating a policy for future buys, but I don't love when people retroactively change a policy. It's not worth throwing a fit over though.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

And is there any interest in the other bar? It is a low mintage too, but does not look as good to me, so I did not buy one.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

I don't know about a hologram one. It would remind me of the 2013 RCM Superman methinks. Maybe a few rainbow toned ones over hologram with various patterns like crescent, double crescent, target, album etc if he can effectively simulate nice toning that won't look too much like AT... I do like the idea of an antiqed one though and have wondered myself if Dan will be doing any other types of finishes.

The more you VAM..
    edited December 10, 2016 1:02PM

@crazyhounddog said:
    Just let it go.

Yep. I agree. But I'm correct. DC needs to stop modifying on line purchase conditions, depending on sales volume / demand.

MHO.

• NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:

@crazyhounddog said:
    Just let it go.

Yep. I agree. But I'm correct. DC needs to stop modifying on line purchase conditions, depending on sales volume / demand.

MHO.

Why throw a hissy over something of which there were only 36 total made? And he 'needs to stop modifying...'? I recall once in the recent past. Enlighten us all on the past items (plural....seems to be that you can cite multiple times its happened)....so, cite them, besides theis bar......

I'll come up with something.
    edited December 10, 2016 1:32PM

@NotSure said:

Why throw a hissy over something of which there were only 36 total made? And he 'needs to stop modifying...'? I recall once in the recent past. Enlighten us all on the past items (plural....seems to be that you can cite multiple times its happened)....so, cite them, besides theis bar......

Nice try, whatever, ask Dan he can probably recall better than I. OK, WTF, Let's see here. Here's one. The 2015 silver 1.5 oz went from 76 pcs(?) to 96{?} You go check. I given up caring. Posted conditions changed. That's the point. Thanks for asking.

• NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:

@NotSure said:

Nice try, whatever, ask Dan he can probably recall better than I. OK, WTF, Let's see here. Here's one. The 2015 silver 1.5 oz went from 76 pcs(?) to 96{?} You go check. I given up caring. Posted conditions changed. That's the point. Thanks for asking.

And there's one example..... certainly you can come up with more if its bothering you as much as it appears??? Or, are you done whining about it because that's all you got? If that's all you got, wow, I may have to rethink buying his offerings, he does it SO often!

I'll come up with something.

@NotSure said:

I may have to rethink buying his offerings, he does it SO often!

Whatever works for you.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, don't want to get burned on entering this fray, but I am glad he let at least a few of us humble collectors to get a specimen of what we wanted. I would rather have a chance at getting something limited than be at the mercy of flippers. I was a bit unhappy about the earlier silver slug, but got over it and glad to have one!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

I told him about my already posted and emailed complaint that he does not have an email list for new product notifications.

The point is that I missed a few issues, and for one big one I asked if he would mint me off an order if I paid extra for the trouble. He refused citing the number limit on it.

So, he may mint off more on a popular issue while they are still on sale, but when he decides there is a limit then he will stick to it. There will be 1,964 Fantasy 1964 Morgans. That's it. Don't try asking for 1965 or 2016. And is 76 to 96 that big of a deal to you? I guess it is but why? I think the market will absorb them fine. Certainly there will be those who missed out to keep the market going. (Although admittedly, the masses may be hitting refresh every few days as I do now.)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fer cryin' out loud, it's not even a coin!

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

The WORST DCarr flip on Ebay has to be his silver bars. I wanted a holograph because I wanted one. No flip intended.

I never knew a restriction would emerge.

Is there room for a “MAY 2012”, “1”, “TROY OZ.”. PM me.

@jwitten said:
    And is there any interest in the other bar? It is a low mintage too, but does not look as good to me, so I did not buy one.

@jwitten said:

I think it's cool as all hell! I bought one!!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:

For example, PCGS stopped grade guarantees for copper color and milk spots. Before a certain date, you got guarantees. After a certain date, you didn't. Are you just as upset with those changes?

What? We are talking DCarr. You change to PCGS. Whatever. Typical. Zoingo Boingo.

advise. Remove the pebble from your shoe.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just received a email my PL have shipped :)

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Twobitcollector said:
    Just received a email my PL have shipped :)

Likewise :)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2016 5:47AM

My order is also on the way. :)

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

So my hologram bar can't be far from shipping.......I hope

edited December 12, 2016 12:41PM

@Kudbegud said:
    As far as a restriction to one at some point, you buy under that restriction or not as you choose. Dan is allowed to set a limit at any time for any reason. It's his popcorn stand. You decide not to do business with him because he set a limit then so be it.

If I bought three without restriction, reduced to two, I'd be ticked off.

I don't get changing sales horse in mid-stream. Seen it before. Quantity struck and number allowed to purchase evolves, changes depending on demand.

Say what you post, post what you say. I thought I could by 'em all, originally.

Not any more.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:

@Kudbegud said:
    As far as a restriction to one at some point, you buy under that restriction or not as you choose. Dan is allowed to set a limit at any time for any reason. It's his popcorn stand. You decide not to do business with him because he set a limit then so be it.

If I bought three without restriction, reduced to two, I'd be ticked off.

I don't get changing sales horse in mid-stream. Seen it before. Quantity struck and number allowed to purchase evolves, changes depending on demand.

Say what you post, post what you say. I thought I could by 'em all, originally.

Not any more.

I get your point of having your order reduced after it was acknowledged and a receipt generated. I'd be ticked too.

Take it to an extreme for the sake of discussion. Would it bother you to the same extant if someone bought the whole production run in the first minutes of availability?

How about the reverse situation. The mint offers a coin, limit one per house hold. You buy counting on how this affects future value or desirability. At some point the mint lifts that restriction and opens up sales to unlimited quantities. You have the same level of frustration?

You bought just one, right? Maybe considered two or ordered two. Since you were not really affected by the restriction, what really is behind your feeling so violated? Restricted buying happens all the time from new iPhones, concert tickets, new game consoles, houses in a new development....all kinds of things all the time.

Making the limited production product available to more people that are interested seems like a good thing.

• edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

my proof-likes just shipped.
    Just my 2 cents worth, but... I remember the 2015 owls. I got the email and put it off. when i got around to purchasing, they were gone. I wanted one, I recognized that Moonlight Mint was a small "mom and pop" shop and that there would not be thousands of these available. i vowed to buy the first one on the secondary market, and i did some were shocked at the sale price.
    Mr Carr contacted me and expressed this regrets about the over-selling and increase of mintage. He has a spotless reputation for trying to do right by his customers. All of my transactions with him have been fair and professional.
    As a vindication of my patience, and the price i paid, that 2015 owl graded ANACS MS70 pop 1 of 2 cert: 4980499. Cert: 4980500 is my 2016 owl also MS70 pop 1 of 2. Thanks for the quality product and second to none customer service.

(l8-)>>

Yeah, well, here's the deal, ya can't change it mid-stream. Right, wrong, stick with the way you figured it. MHO

@edgar said:
    Just my 2 cents worth, but... I remember the 2015 owls. I got the email and put it off. when i got around to purchasing, they were gone. I wanted one, I recognized that Moonlight Mint was a small "mom and pop" shop and that there would not be thousands of these available. i vowed to buy the first one on the secondary market, and i did some were shocked at the sale price.
    Mr Carr contacted me and expressed this regrets about the over-selling and increase of mintage. He has a spotless reputation for trying to do right by his customers. All of my transactions with him have been fair and professional.
    As a vindication of my patience, and the price i paid, that 2015 owl graded ANACS MS70 pop 1 of 2 cert: 4980499. Cert: 4980500 is my 2016 owl also MS70 pop 1 of 2. Thanks for the quality product and second to none customer service.

There are only 2 known 2016 owls that graded 70?

The more you VAM..
  • PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

I'd better send mine in and increase the Pop Report! (I am kidding :) )

One of my 2016 owls just got a 70 according to my anacs member page. Should be in hand soon :smile:

The more you VAM..
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2016 2:17PM

yes
    http://anacs.com/Populations/CertVerification.aspx
    cert # 4980499 is 2015, 4980500 is 2016 both pop 2 but few submitted from small mintage

(l8-)>>

@edgar said:
    yes
    http://anacs.com/Populations/CertVerification.aspx
    cert # 4980499 is 2015, 4980500 is 2016 both pop 2 but few submitted from small mintage

Nice, here's my cert number. Order just shipped...

The more you VAM..

Has anyone got their PL Morgans yet??

The more you VAM..

@CascadeChris said:

@edgar said:

How many more 2015 owls were minted?
    I had no idea.

@crazyhounddog said:

@CascadeChris said:

@edgar said:

How many more 2015 owls were minted?
    I had no idea.

Not sure. I missed those. I think orders came in so fast that his system was overloaded and took more sales than available mintage so he compromised and made a few more instead of canceling. Don't quote me though, it's only what I read on a forum as I wasn't following it when it happened. I'm sure @dcarr can give us the scoop. If this was the situation though, it also makes sense why he put the limit on the starburst hologram bars once he saw the fervor coming with those.

The more you VAM..
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:

we know

I consciously avoid the word coin in my posts. I am surprised there are 2 agrees. we start these "mega-threads" with a lot of posts on different dcarr topics to limit new threads in the forums because we know so many new threads just clutter up the place. Another benefit is that those who object do not have to complain about even the number of threads, much less that he is a criminal or the coins are counterfeits. we have heard all the objections stated so far many times.

my question is why are 3 people reading this far (over 300 posts) into a mega thread on a topic they dislike?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:

@COCollector said:

we know

I consciously avoid the word coin in my posts. I am surprised there are 2 agrees. we start these "mega-threads" with a lot of posts on different dcarr topics to limit new threads in the forums because we know so many new threads just clutter up the place. Another benefit is that those who object do not have to complain about even the number of threads, much less that he is a criminal or the coins are counterfeits. we have heard all the objections stated so far many times.

my question is why are 3 people reading this far (over 300 posts) into a mega thread on a topic they dislike?

He was saying that the starbust hologram bar "is not even a coin" in response to another member getting upset that Dan put an order limit of 1 on it mid stream when he saw the overload of orders it was generating

The more you VAM..
  • TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

2015 Owls 95 minted and no I don't have one, DARN.
    http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_gold_list.htm

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

Mine are perfect also.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2016 5:44PM

@CascadeChris said:

@COCollector said:

He was saying that the starbust hologram bar "is not even a coin" in response to another member getting upset that Dan put an order limit of 1 on it mid stream when he saw the overload of orders it was generating

Exactly right!

I was referring to the hologram bar as not-a-coin. It was definitely NOT in any way intended as a disparaging remark.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I'm a big fan of Dan Carr's work. Have a bunch of it. And I get most of 'em slabbed -- to prevent my greedy heirs from taking advantage of unknowledgeable buyers.

Really like the special-design signed label, which makes it crystal clear these are not coins:

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

@Twobitcollector said:
    2015 Owls 95 minted and no I don't have one, DARN.
    http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_gold_list.htm

Thank you for that information, and link. I'm lucky to have one.

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2016 7:26PM

How much does it cost to get a coin graded by ANACS? I have over 100 D-Carr coins I'd like to get graded.. some need toning removed first, there are edges of some coins from last year that are toning. Other coins from farther back have toning where they are exposed to air in the flip. Airtights would be a nice option to add as a $1 extra per coin.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edgar said:
    Yesterday I scored ANACS 70's on my owls.

This morning: PROOF LIKE 64-Ds ARE UP! I can't post the link

Here's a link for ya: PL 64-D

@jessewvu said:
    How much does it cost to get a coin graded by ANACS? I have over 100 D-Carr coins I'd like to get graded.. some need toning removed first, there are edges of some coins from last year that are toning. Other coins from farther back have toning where they are exposed to air in the flip. Airtights would be a nice option to add as a $1 extra per coin.

Wait for a special. This special was $8 per for the first 15 and $10 each over the intial 15 including return shipping. That was a great one though. Usually the specials run around $10 per plus shipping. As for the toning they have a conservation option on the form. For $35 they will conserve or dip any that need toning removal I believe.

The more you VAM..
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. I'll call and see if they can extend me to special with 100 coins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file