Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: illini420

Originally posted by: PerryHall

If they are anything like the 1964 Peace dollar they will do quite well in the secondary market. Actually when you consider that Morgan dollar collectors are far more numerous than Peace dollar collectors they should do exceptionally well on the secondary market. Obviously, not every Morgan dollar collector will want one but with such a low mintage it won't take many to exhaust the supply. Of course many will be bought by non-Morgan dollar collectors who like unusual and interesting rare coins.

Dan already did a Morgan Dollar overstrike a few years ago, the 1909-o Dollars. Those were and still are quite popular, but they still don't sell for the same levels as the 1964-D Peace Dollars that he did. And less than 600 1909-o Morgan Dollars were made. So just being a Morgan Dollar isn't enough. If that were the case, all else equal, the 1909-o Morgans should be selling for much more than the 1964-D Peace Dollars with their much lower mintages... but that just isn't the case.

I ordered a few of the 1964 Morgans because I think they are cool, but I don't think they'll match the values of the 1964 Peace Dollars simply because they are Morgans.

Good point Mike but this one now shares in the 64 peace "lore" as the runner up, unlike the 1909o morgan, with the 64 galvonos and hubs being found. Sure they actually struck and subsequently destroyed the peace dollars but I think these will be on par or similar in aftermarket values over time. At the very least somewhere in between the 09o morgan & 64d peace. Time will tell though

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CascadeChris

If they are anything like the 1964 Peace dollar they will do quite well in the secondary market. Actually when you consider that Morgan dollar collectors are far more numerous than Peace dollar collectors they should do exceptionally well on the secondary market. Obviously, not every Morgan dollar collector will want one but with such a low mintage it won't take many to exhaust the supply. Of course many will be bought by non-Morgan dollar collectors who like unusual and interesting rare coins.

Dan already did a Morgan Dollar overstrike a few years ago, the 1909-o Dollars. Those were and still are quite popular, but they still don't sell for the same levels as the 1964-D Peace Dollars that he did. And less than 600 1909-o Morgan Dollars were made. So just being a Morgan Dollar isn't enough. If that were the case, all else equal, the 1909-o Morgans should be selling for much more than the 1964-D Peace Dollars with their much lower mintages... but that just isn't the case.

I ordered a few of the 1964 Morgans because I think they are cool, but I don't think they'll match the values of the 1964 Peace Dollars simply because they are Morgans.

Good point Mike but this one now shares in the 64 peace "lore" as the runner up, unlike the 1909o morgan, with the 64 galvonos and hubs being found. Sure they actually struck and subsequently destroyed the peace dollars but I think these will be on par or similar in aftermarket values over time. At the very least somewhere in between the 09o morgan & 64d peace. Time will tell though

Agree. Many that bought the 1964 Peace dollar will also want this one as a companion piece. Of course only time will tell how they do in the after market.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for pointing this out Mike.

It is important to note that the 1964-D Peace Dollar has a well trafficked history steeped in speculation.

However, I personally never heard of a 1964 Morgan Dollar until recently.

While I will not call this a bad idea I will say that I don't believe its a sure thing and resale could prove to be difficult since it is a "niche" coin.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

Agree. Many that bought the 1964 Peace dollar will also want this one as a companion piece. Of course only time will tell how they do in the after market.

And with a production limit of 2,000 or less coins we can only hope that the price of silver rises to $90 an ounce.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Grabbed a couple more. Couldn't resist! image
    The more you VAM..
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The U.S. Mint is holding a forum at the Federal Reserve Bank in Philadelphia this week. They are supposed to have some "heritage assets" on display. Perhaps this will include the treasure trove of 1964 dollar dies and hubs. Perhaps not.

Bill Gibbs of Coin World will be there, and I am sure that we will get a full report of the display. Be sure to watch Coin World Online for the earliest report.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do we get a forum member discount?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Just ordered 2. Thanks to the original poster for the heads up. First time I've ordered from Dcarr and the MM but not the first time I've owned one of his fantasy coins. He does great work.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Cakes

Do we get a forum member discount?

If you count being able to buy them at issue price because they were posted on the forum then yes image
    The more you VAM..
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    in that government storage room seen at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark?"

Was that a real shot of that room ?

• Options
    hutze1nmhutze1nm Posts: 235 ✭✭✭

In for 2 High Grade! Bit on 2 of the 1965 peace $ a while back - sold them in a day on Ebay at a significant profit a year later when I was super hard up for cash. I bet these are more popular than those.

Things I like to do: Collect PL Morgans. That’s is all.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it! Probably would have missed out had it not been for this thread. Ordered a few too. Would made an outstanding display next to the 64 Peace dollar and even the 64 Franklin.

peacockcoins

• Options
    tander123tander123 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭
    Just picked up two!
    Excellent BST board members who complete their deals: WONDERCOIN, DABIGKAHUNA, GEMSTATECOINS, FIVECENTS, SILVEREAGLES92, NEWMISMATIST, GTOster, SCHMITZ7,
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

He makes some interesting products and always high quality! :)

• Options
    hutze1nmhutze1nm Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2016 6:22AM

Who Grades Daniel Carr Medals? Edit - Looks like ANACS or ICG. Does anyone think that I should or should not sub them? Feelings on re-sale of slabbed vs. Non?

Things I like to do: Collect PL Morgans. That’s is all.
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hutze1nm said:
    Who Grades Daniel Carr Medals? Edit - Looks like ANACS or ICG. Does anyone think that I should or should not sub them? Feelings on re-sale of slabbed vs. Non?

I send them to ANACS mainly to offer some added protection of the item.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

@braddick said:
    Love it! Probably would have missed out had it not been for this thread. Ordered a few too. Would made an outstanding display next to the 64 Peace dollar and even the 64 Franklin.

That's true but somehow I missed the Franklin Half, I sure would like to find one.

coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I have mine ordered and can't wait to see this one in hand. The man is a true artist. I love his work.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone got theirs in hand???

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2016 5:25PM

@Goldbully said:
    Anyone got theirs in hand???

I was wondering the same thing, I ordered a while back and still no shipping info?

Edit to add I just heard from Daniel and mine will ship out mid next week. :D

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I have to admit that I like Dan Carr's products better than the US Mint. Thanks for the heads up!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

i ordered one of each on the morgans.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    The U.S. Mint is holding a forum at the Federal Reserve Bank in Philadelphia this week. They are supposed to have some "heritage assets" on display. Perhaps this will include the treasure trove of 1964 dollar dies and hubs. Perhaps not.

Bill Gibbs of Coin World will be there, and I am sure that we will get a full report of the display. Be sure to watch Coin World Online for the earliest report.

TD

Bill informs me that none of the 1964 dollar dies or hubs were on display. They did have a few models for the Bicentennial coinage on display.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

I ordered one of the 'high grade' 1964 Morgan Dollars.
    Will compliment my 1964 matte proof Peace Dollar.
    I'll get a special holder\case for them.

• Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

@PRECIOUSMENTAL said:
    I ordered one of the 'high grade' 1964 Morgan Dollars.
    Will compliment my 1964 matte proof Peace Dollar.
    I'll get a special holder\case for them.

I did the same and will be doing that also. B)

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

I ordered one the night of the hurricane. I got the computer generated emailed invoice acknowledging payment. That was a week ago. How long do these take to deliver?

• Options

I'm surprised that these coins have not shipped as of yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

Good things are worth waiting on ! Dan always takes awhile to ship but when he does you get a notice and it usually takes three days to receive

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice he does very good work. B)

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2016 3:33AM

• Options
    edited October 17, 2016 3:32AM

• Options
    edited October 17, 2016 3:31AM

• Options

Dan, when can we buyers expect to see the coins. I know 1940coupe said good things are worth waiting for.....

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

As BruceS has mentioned I also received the same information from Dan, mid-week shipping.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

WTH Happened to the "quote" feature from older posts?

The name is LEE!
  • Options

@19Lyds said:

It's still there.

• Options

@19Lyds said:

Click on the word Quote at the bottom of the post that you want to quote.

• Options

@Goldbully said:

@19Lyds said:

It's still there.

I understand that the quote feature is still there when you reply to a post BUT for the older posts (from the old forum) the quoted data no longer shows up as a quote. It shows up as yet another paragraph within the quoters reply.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Can't wait to get these sexy beasts in my hand :smiley:
    The more you VAM..
  • Options

Specifically, Nested Quotes.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2016 5:40PM

Also, can we no longer "EDIT" our posts??

Nevermind, I found it under the "Star" next to the time stamp.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2016 6:46PM
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Anyone got an order shipped yet? Website still says only 20 struck.

• Options

I just noticed that my thread has a FLAG thing that someone thinks my thread is spam.

Let's get this straight I posted because I ordered the token, I am not associated with the Moonlight Mint or Dan Carr. I'm just a customer who likes his over-struck coins.
    Plus I enjoy reading all the different opinions of his works.
    So if you have any problems with my threads MAN UP sent me a PM and lets have a discussion.

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Awesome, thanks for the shipping update. I look forward to getting these.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flag icons and the ...disagree should be put out to pasture.

• Options

@grip said:
    Flag icons and the ...disagree should be put out to pasture.

Agree. Total nonsense.

• Options
    GhosOfRudyGhosOfRudy Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

is his site slammed or what?

• Options
    Paulyaces76Paulyaces76 Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited October 19, 2016 11:59AM

Why do some seem impatient? This man is an artist, give him a break and I am sure you will love everything once it gets to you! :) I know I do!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file