Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football 2018

Comments

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

Third coldest game in ND Stadium since 1980, but my daughter and I had a blast. Looking forward to Yankee Stadium next weekend. Just win baby and let the chips fall where they may.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still posting pics of you and your daughter at games? That is awesome man, I remember you always posting pics of you guys at Texas games, you both look like your always having fun together that is good stuff!

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Still posting pics of you and your daughter at games? That is awesome man, I remember you always posting pics of you guys at Texas games, you both look like your always having fun together that is good stuff!

Yes sir! She's grown up to be a great young lady. Very proud of her and my favorite part is she still likes to hang out with me ;)

She is ecstatic about this upcoming weekend too as she has always wanted to go to NY. However she is going with her mom to a Broadway play while I go to the ND game.

Looking forward to taking her to the hotel (I THINK its called the Plaza) where they filmed one of her favorite shows that she used to watch over and over and over on DVR, and to see the other sites with her and my wife.

My son is a junior now at TCU so he won't be making the trip with us. He's still doing what he loves, singing, and is in TCU's Concert Chorale and Opera.

It was kinda surreal the other day as he performed at Bass Performance Hall in Fort Worth. I don't know if you remember the videos I used to post of him singing the National Anthem at my swearing in ceremonies, but he has gone from those novelty acts to being a three time Texas All-State Choir winner and a scholarship performer at TCU. It was really cool seeing him onstage at Bass Hall. Proud dad moment.

Hope things are going well for you. I know y'all Red Sox fans had a helluva season. Domination from the first pitch to the final out. Very nice run.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2018 4:20AM

I think I missed your posts with your Son singing, I took a break from CU for awhile and it was probably around that time I missed them. But again I always remember some epic outings you posted with you and your Daughter at Rangers games, she always had an ear to ear smile on her face - actually you both did! Congrats on your son bud, I’m sure your very proud of him as you should! Things are well and right back at you buddy! I’m ecstatic about the Sox, being a Boston guy I can’t complain about anything sports related, we have been very lucky here.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Get ready folks. Its sec cupcake week.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

12-0 BABY...... B)

We want Purdue !!

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

12-0 BABY...... B)

We want Purdue !!

At least Purdue is playing a team with a heartbeat.

The citadel LOL

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Top SEC teams are definitely playing cupcakes this week. It would be nice to see the CFP committee punish them for doing that at this point in the season by permanently dropping each ranked SEC team at least one spot. Then the SEC teams that lost a spot in the rankings could only advance if teams they were behind lost. I guarantee that would change the SEC scheduling.

I do think the fact that a team that went 0-3 out of conference and lost to Akron and Duke will be playing in the B10 championship game doesn't help the case for the B10 being the toughest conference.

Robb

• Options

I hear you Fergie. Who would you have Alabama playing this week and who do you think would win?

We have Auburn and Georgia the next two weeks so you can't pick those teams.

Who ya got for us to play?

• Options

Move the cupcake out of conference games to the beginning of the season and play conference opponents. You don't see OSU or Michigan or Oklahoma or USC teeing up a nobody out of conference flyweight to beat in mid-November. Those other schools don't get a week off during the toughest part of their schedule to rest and play the backups against truly inferior competition.

I think Alabama would beat anyone this year but that is not always the case and certainly not the case for Georgia, LSU, and Florida. Most elite teams play conference games in late Oct and Nov or sprinkle in a game against Notre Dame. Even conference games against the bottom feeders can be tough (see OSU v Purdue) especially late in the season.

Robb

• Options
    edited November 17, 2018 2:20AM

Why does it matter when you schedule a cupcake, every team plays them. If OSU and the others want to keep up with the SEC maybe they should consider changing their process. Why is it that the losing sides always find excuses. Make adjustments on what you do and execute.

By the way, Saban is in favor of dropping these games and playing another SEC East team.
    And like Coach Saban said, do not admit that you play "touch" football in the spring, c'mon man.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Why does it matter when you schedule a cupcake, every team plays them. If OSU and the others want to keep up with the SEC maybe they should consider changing their process. Why is it that the losing sides always find excuses. Make adjustments on what you do and execute.

They talked about this on one of the national sports radio shows the other day. If you don't like how the SEC schedules their cupcakes then schedule your cupcakes like that. Geez. It's pretty simple. The SEC is far and away the best conference this year as usual. Who or when they play doesn't change that. Haters gonna hate though.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2018 4:43PM

I don't care when they play 'em - Bama and Florida should get trashed for playing The Citadel and Idaho at all.

• Options

@Tabe said:
    I don't care when they play 'em - Bama and Florida should get trashed for playing The Citadel and Idaho at all.

So, out of all the teams that played cupcakes yesterday you only mention Bama and Florida....hmmmmm.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2018 2:50AM
    1. Clemson
    2. N. Dame
    3. Bama
    4. Michigan

I punished Alabama for playing a cupcake, dropped 'em 2 spots for Fergie and Tabe…. :'(
    I went to the Michigan chat room, The Victors Club. They sure are talking lots of smack about all the calls that favored OSU.
    They said something about holding on every pass play.

This picture says it all, the man needs some medical help. What message does this send to his team?

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@Tabe said:

So, out of all the teams that played cupcakes yesterday you only mention Bama and Florida....hmmmmm.

Just the two I knew for sure - couldn't remember who else played exactly which cupcakes.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Bullsitter said:

@Tabe said:

Just the two I knew for sure - couldn't remember who else played exactly which cupcakes.

What team do you pull for?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope that Michigan beats Ohio State next week. The way Ohio State is playing, they really don’t deserve to be in the final four.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@Bullsitter said:

@Tabe said:

My only "complaint" about the opponents is that I don't think any FBS teams should play FCS teams. Maybe it's just me but I see no upside for the FBS teams. There are some horrible FBS teams so play them. When they schedule them is up to them.

• Options

@larryallen73 said:

@Bullsitter said:

@Tabe said:

My only "complaint" about the opponents is that I don't think any FBS teams should play FCS teams. Maybe it's just me but I see no upside for the FBS teams. There are some horrible FBS teams so play them. When they schedule them is up to them.

I agree and so does Saban, he wants another conference game, says it's good for recruiting. It's up to the SEC office to change that though. I do know these FCS teams get paid well. It's a tremendous boost for their whole program. The Citadel got paid $500,000+ for coming and was a penalty away from taking a 13-10 lead minutes into the 3rd quarter. The Citadel team had only played in front of 11,000 fans a few times this season. Saturday it was 100.000 and they played the #1 team and defending National Champions to a draw for a half. They'll remember Saturday forever.

• Options

• Options
    edited November 18, 2018 3:07PM

Having a blast in NYC. Irish rocked it. One more to go to make the playoffs. Hoping to get through with my work on Tuesday and Wednesday so I can go to LA to see the regular season finale but right now doesn't look probable. ND looked good. Very proud of those young men right now.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2018 8:29PM

No conference that only plays 8 in-conference games and schedule FCS teams in November, can proclaim to be the best. And the sec has no plans on changing.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@Tabe said:

@Bullsitter said:

@Tabe said:

I'm a Michigan guy.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Bullsitter said:

@Tabe said:

@Bullsitter said:

@Tabe said:

I'm a Michigan guy.

You bash the SEC for playing cupcakes - remember App. State, the cupcake that beat Michigan.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    No conference that only plays 8 in-conference games and schedule FCS teams in November, can proclaim to be the best. And the sec has no plans on changing.

So far we've played 2 teams in the Top 25, #8 LSU and #22 MSU, blanked them both.
    OSU has played 1 team in the Top 25, #15 Penn State and won by a point.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2018 11:44PM

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

So far we've played 2 teams in the Top 25, #8 LSU and #22 MSU, blanked them both.

Your point? The Citadel played the most competitive game against Bama all year. Says a lot about the sec.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2018 1:15PM

@garnettstyle said:

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

Your point? The Citadel played the most competitive game against Bama all year. Says a lot about the sec.

Don't have a point and won't have a point. Think what you want.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

You bash the SEC for playing cupcakes - remember App. State, the cupcake that beat Michigan.

You're under the mistaken assumption that I didn't bash Michigan at the time. I did. It was embarrassing to even schedule that game.

• Options

A sleeping Giant has been awakened

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got back to see the Ohio - Michigan game. Michigan just can’t stop them.

I have a Michigan connection via the Univerty of Delaware. A coach and athletic director had a connection to Michigan. He patterned the Delaware helmets after the Michigan design.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Congrats Garnettstyle, I know you gotta be stoked. Was a fun game to watch.

I'm just passing time until the main event tonight. I didn't get done with my work this week in time to go to LA so I'll be watching from the comfort of my couch hoping for the best.

• Options

Notre Dame Central today.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't get it. Local team (Arizona) gets beat in a furious comeback by AZ State. AZ ends the season at 5-7 and the homer announcers lament that the Wildcats were oh so close to becoming bowl eligible.

Is that a good thing? Have a tepid 6 and 6 year and act as if you won something as you head to the Dreck Bowl in the middle of New Mexico. Play before 20,000 sleepy fans that were offered free parking and hot dogs to show up.

I would allow the AP top 25 plus 1 into the bowls, Thirteen games and that is it,

• Options

Being Bowl-eligible gets you weeks of extra practice. That's the big benefit.

• Options

Woohoo. This old leprechaun is going to the playoffs.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

I get that. The honor of playing the 88th best team in the nation a week before Christmas is bupkis and should considered as such. Not a feather in the cap of the bumbling head coach.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@Tabe said:

I get that. The honor of playing the 88th best team in the nation a week before Christmas is bupkis and should considered as such. Not a feather in the cap of the bumbling head coach.

I'll give ya that.

• Options

Impressive win by OSU but they need Clemson or Oklahoma to lose next week if they want to be in the playoffs. I don't see one very good win papering over the loss to Purdue nor the squeaker against Maryland. Makes you wonder why they couldn't bring the same level of intensity we saw yesterday to more of their games this season.

I think our local OSU fan would lose his mind if an undefeated UCF got in over OSU. I don't see it happening especially with the UCF QB injury but given all the nonsense he talked last season about UCF it would be poetic justice.

Robb

• Options

I was driving yesterday so didn't watch the game but listened to almost the entire Ohio State game. It sounded like Ohio State was really good and Michigan was equally bad. I have seen Oklahoma in person this year and really wasn't that impressed. However, OK doesn't have the Purdue loss on their resume. Will be interesting to see what happens if everybody wins out. Would almost be more interesting if UGA beats 'bama because I still feel just about certain that 'bama would be in the playoffs so OK and OSU fans should be rooting for Alabama this weekend.

• Options
    edited November 25, 2018 1:49PM

The polls always hate the Big ten teams, especially OSU. They just put 62 on a top 4 team that had a #1 rated defense. And still no respect. Not to mention, the conference went 7-1 in the bowls last year. What game was Oklahoma impressive?
    According to the espn predictor %. Alabama will not get in if they lose to Georgia. No team has yet to get in after they lost their championship, and nor should they. So I am rooting for Georgia.
    Also, if OSU dominates NORTHWESTERN, they would have a good case to be #3 for 2 reasons. One- they would be conference champions while ND has the benefit of not playing a extra game where players risk injuries. And two - They would have TWO common opponents(Michigan, Northwestern) where ND played 2 close games.

• Options

Ohio State announces change to Haskins stats
    https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-football/2018/11/99527/ohio-state-announces-change-to-dwayne-haskins-stats-vs-ttun
    Haskins thus throws for 396 and 6 TDs and Campbell has 6 receptions for 192 yards and 2 TDs.

• Options

ESPN wants two SEC teams in the college football playoffs. They want two SEC and two ACC and they could get it. (That’s right, ND is basically acc but do not have to play Clamson in acc cg)

• Options

I almost forgot what about "defending national champion" UCF? I assume some people, or at least UCF fans, think they should be in the playoff ahead of OSU and OK!?

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

The playoffs are to be the four best teams. Four best at the end of the season? Four best seasons (body of work?) Alabama should be in unless they play poorly and lose by a wide margin because they would still be one of the four best and have one of the four best seasons even with a close loss in the SEC Championship. Notre Dame is in or just scrap the system. If Alabama loses the SEC then both them and Georgia will be in. As of last Saturday Ohio State is one of the four best teams, however their body of work this year sucks. UCF would probably be destroyed by Alabama (as would just about anyone in #4 position). However with back to back undefeated seasons they have earned the right to be destroyed.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    The playoffs are to be the four best teams. Four best at the end of the season? Four best seasons (body of work?) Alabama should be in unless they play poorly and lose by a wide margin because they would still be one of the four best and have one of the four best seasons even with a close loss in the SEC Championship. Notre Dame is in or just scrap the system. If Alabama loses the SEC then both them and Georgia will be in. As of last Saturday Ohio State is one of the four best teams, however their body of work this year sucks. UCF would probably be destroyed by Alabama (as would just about anyone in #4 position). However with back to back undefeated seasons they have earned the right to be destroyed.

I agree with you what Alabama will likely be in even with a loss to UGA. So let's say you have UGA, Alabama, Clemson and ND. Tough luck for OK, OSU and UCF, right? If you had to take one out (let's say Alabama) then who gets their spot? I would think OSU as they played a good game when it counts most. If OSU duplicates that effort against Northwestern then Alabama would be nervous with a loss. In practice it is the four best teams at the end of the season. The timing of losses is key. OSU's meltdown against Purdue could be less egregious than Alabama losing to UGA. However, going to the more likely and Alabama beats UGA then we have 'bama, Clemson, ND and _______ . Hmmmmmmm.... Will be interesting to see what happens.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

being a Conference Champion should be a pre-requisite for playing for the National Championship.(period)

• Options
    edited November 26, 2018 1:07PM

@keets said:
    being a Conference Champion should be a pre-requisite for playing for the National Championship.(period)

Big week (this saturday) for college football.