Home Sports Talk

College Football 2018

Comments

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

The delusional OSU fan at it again, most of the country doesn't believe UCF was the NC. Apparently by the Colley index Alabama has won 3 straight NCs, lol. You never have any consistency to your position, other than believing OSU is the best team in the country regardless of their record. One year the computer polls matter, the next they don't. One year the writers are the ones that are getting it right, the next year it is the coaches poll because the writers don't know anything. One year you have to win your conference championship to deserve to be in the Playoffs, the next year you don't. You are just bitter that OSU didn't get a chance to be crushed last year in the Playoffs.

OSU hasn't beaten anyone either yet. Oregon St is 1-3, Rutgers is 1-3, Tulane is 1-3, and TCU just lost to Texas to go 2-2. A potentially real game at Penn St this week. Though we won't really know until the season plays out as all of these top teams have pretty much cream puff schedules early in the year.

Robb

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2018 1:00PM

@fergie23 said:
    The delusional OSU fan at it again, most of the country doesn't believe UCF was the NC. Apparently by the Colley index Alabama has won 3 straight NCs, lol. You never have any consistency to your position, other than believing OSU is the best team in the country regardless of their record. One year the computer polls matter, the next they don't. One year the writers are the ones that are getting it right, the next year it is the coaches poll because the writers don't know anything. One year you have to win your conference championship to deserve to be in the Playoffs, the next year you don't. You are just bitter that OSU didn't get a chance to be crushed last year in the Playoffs.

OSU hasn't beaten anyone either yet. Oregon St is 1-3, Rutgers is 1-3, Tulane is 1-3, and TCU just lost to Texas to go 2-2. A potentially real game at Penn St this week. Though we won't really know until the season plays out as all of these top teams have pretty much cream puff schedules early in the year.

Robb

Answer this OSU hater... WHO THE HELL HAS ALABAMA, CLEMSON, AND GEORGIA BEAT?????????????????????
    If you ever READ multiple sports forums, you would know that a lot of people think that college football is the most rigged sport in this country. Just look at the polls. The voters hate the Big ten. That's why Texas is ranked and Maryland is not.
    Alabama had no business being in the playoffs last year. They beat nobody. And the casual fans know it and don't understand. Alabama has claimed several bogus NC's in the past that are questionable. SO then, if they can do it, then so can UCF.

And the colley system DOES NOT recognize the CFP.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Love college football, but wish there was more parody in the game. Can’t stand seeing 56-3 games with the top ten crushing weak teams. Alabama’s 3rd string may be better than a lot of teams. Maybe adjusting the recruitment process somewhat so all the great high schoolers don’t go to a select few?? Other options?

@PatsGuy5000 said:
    Love college football, but wish there was more parody in the game. Can’t stand seeing 56-3 games with the top ten crushing weak teams. Alabama’s 3rd string may be better than a lot of teams. Maybe adjusting the recruitment process somewhat so all the great high schoolers don’t go to a select few?? Other options?

They should get rid of conference championship games. The playoff committee has made them basically meaningless. And then expand the playoffs, so a team like UCF can have a shot. That way, more higher recruits will want to go to smaller schools out of the power five.

Kelly Bryant becomes the 4th Clemson QB since January to transfer.

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

'Cuse!!

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big one tonight, Penn State versus Ohio State.

Should be a great game.

Buckeyes survive tough test without their best player. Great game.

My current top 10

1. Ohio State
    2. Alabama
    3. Notre Dame
    4. Georgia
    5. Clemson
    6. Oklahoma
    7. LSU
    8. West Virginia
    9. UCF
    10. Penn State

What if UCF Goes Undefeated... Again? Does a 25-0 team over the last 2 years get shut out?

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Major league gagfest by Penn State to blow the 12 point lead. And then their last sequence of play calls - a bomb on 2nd and 14 and then a read option on 4th and 5. Ugh. They just flat gave that game away.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:
    What if UCF Goes Undefeated... Again? Does a 25-0 team over the last 2 years get shut out?

Yep.

edited September 30, 2018 3:58AM

Congrats on a great game Garnett. I thought y'all were going to pull an Iowa last night. I want OSU to make the playoffs this year,,,btw, App. State put up 38 points against Penn State.... :* ….and almost beat 'em.

1. Alabama
    2. Georgia
    3. OSU
    4. Clemson
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    Major league gagfest by Penn State to blow the 12 point lead. And then their last sequence of play calls - a bomb on 2nd and 14 and then a read option on 4th and 5. Ugh. They just flat gave that game away.

I hate to agree but you are correct about the play calling. Franklin overall has done a very nice job, and I believe the best is yet to come. However he does have a bad habit of getting a "brain-freeze" in important close games with horrendous play calling. He's done that before in a few other games.

That last series play calling, especially the last call, really hissed me off, and I'm still hissed off about it this morning.

Penn State was first and ten on the fifty with around two minutes left in the game, trailing by one point in a game at home where the offense was moving the football. Penn State had a decided advantage to win the game in that situation. As you stated "They just flat gave that game away."

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

Yep.

Ya, I think their schedule this year is so weak I tend to agree with you. I like the underdogs and rooted for Boise State to move up the ranks back in the day when they were the UCF. However, they just play nobody this year. I would rather see UCF than a marginal Penn State or similar team. However, I would be very surprised if UCF is in the final 4 with that horribly weak schedule.

Penn State was really a joke in the 4th quarter. My wife, who doesn't know a lot about football, asked why they couldn't tackle the Ohio State players. Lol. It was sad really and then that call on the last play. Pathetic. I can't say Ohio State is great watching them play against competition like that. However, I hope Ohio State ends up playing Alabama at some point as that should be a good game and Alabama would only be single digit favorites!

• s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

@larryallen73 said:
    Penn State was really a joke in the 4th quarter. My wife, who doesn't know a lot about football, asked why they couldn't tackle the Ohio State players. Lol. It was sad really and then that call on the last play. Pathetic. I can't say Ohio State is great watching them play against competition like that. However, I hope Ohio State ends up playing Alabama at some point as that should be a good game and Alabama would only be single digit favorites!

I finally realize that college defenses (much less than NFL defenses) wear out over the course of a game.

General comments:
    ND...better than we thought.
    Ohio State...possibly the only threat to Alabama.
    Penn State...what was with that final drive???
    Penn State...should not drop in rank. I was mostly impressed.
    OSU/Penn State...white out was impressive. OSU didn't get many tickets.
    UCF...Pitt and Navy also play Notre Dame, maybe that will tell us something.

@1970s said:
    Surprised to see Notre Dame win that easily after their unimpressive start.

I wonder if LSU is a pretender or contender.

LSU has Florida, Georgia and Miss State before Bama comes to town. If LSU is still undefeated when Bama comes a calling then they're a contender. I think Georgia will hand them their hat.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picking the final four this early in the season is irrelevant. Wait until the top teams have played each other. But since everyone is guesstimating I will throw my four into the mix. This is who I think will be there, not the four best teams.
    1. Alabama. Head and shoulders ahead of everyone
    2. Ohio State. Assuming they are BIG Champs.
    3. Notre Dame. Schedule is tough enough to say they played good teams, easy enough to run the table
    4. Clemson. Schedule difficulty same as NDs. Reputation puts them in if a choice between them and another team.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@larryallen73 said:

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

Yep.

Ya, I think their schedule this year is so weak I tend to agree with you. I like the underdogs and rooted for Boise State to move up the ranks back in the day when they were the UCF. However, they just play nobody this year. I would rather see UCF than a marginal Penn State or similar team. However, I would be very surprised if UCF is in the final 4 with that horribly weak schedule.

Have you seen Clemson's schedule?

@Brick said:
    Picking the final four this early in the season is irrelevant. Wait until the top teams have played each other. But since everyone is guesstimating I will throw my four into the mix. This is who I think will be there, not the four best teams.
    1. Alabama. Head and shoulders ahead of everyone
    2. Ohio State. Assuming they are BIG Champs.
    3. Notre Dame. Schedule is tough enough to say they played good teams, easy enough to run the table
    4. Clemson. Schedule difficulty same as NDs. Reputation puts them in if a choice between them and another team.

Look at this possibility. This could happen. Say if...

Bama or Georgia go undefeated(One of these 2 teams would lose in the sec champ game)
    Ohio State undefeated
    Oklahoma undefeated
    Notre Dame undefeated
    Clemson undefeated

Which team gets left out???????

Coach Saban says he doesn't answer "if" questions.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2018 2:02PM

last night i was at a trendy place drinking some pops with my girlfriend. while she was people watching i was fixated on the penn st.-ohio st. tilt. all i am going to say is this. if i was the head coach of psu, i would bench the hell out of two guys in the secondary for their tackling efforts on those scoring plays in the 4th. they were laughably pathetic. and then, once i was done with them, i would immediately fire myself for that 4th down call.

zero skin, but i still walked away feeling so gross. there's just something about a team gagging away a big game that leaves me feeling like i need to bathe myself for an hour.

I agree about poor tackling at the end of the game. My thought was that they were gassed. The Buckeyes had a bit more in the tank.

Ralph

UCF getting closer to the top 4 in the rankings.

edited October 7, 2018 12:36PM

@garnettstyle said:
    UCF getting closer to the top 4 in the rankings.

Yep, they're at # 2 Memphis next week, also next week,
    Georgia at LSU
    Wisconsin at Michigan

Garnett, Haskins is pretty dang good. I think Alabama vs OSU would be a great game but I think TTUN might prevent that from happening.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

The local team got beat 42-10 in Utah last night. The homer radio guys were crying about a trick play late by the victors. Oh dear that is poor sportsmanship, they wailed.

Same guy post game, noted that the score could have been much higher had Utah not slowed it down in the the second half.

Good grief.

Georgia finally plays someone with a pulse and gets destroyed by a Ohio State quarterback LOL

edited October 14, 2018 3:49AM

Hey Garnett, there's a player for OSU (Kendall Sheffield #8) that left Alabama due to lack of playing time.
    How is he doing, is he getting to play at OSU?

1. BAMA
    2. UCF
    3. OSU
    4. USF

@1970s said:

@garnettstyle said:
    Georgia finally plays someone with a pulse and gets destroyed by a Ohio State quarterback LOL

I don't think it matters in the SEC. Unless Tua goes down with a season ending injury, no one is
    touching Alabama this year in that conference.

I don't know, we have LSU on the road and they have an OSU QB …. :#

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

OSU victory over Penn State not looking that good anymore with Penn State losing to Michigan State. Puts that OSU victory on par with the Alabama victory over Texas A&M. OSU-Michigan and Alabama-LSU looking like the only legit tough games until the conference championships.

Rankings:
    Alabama
    OSU
    Notre Dame
    Clemson

I don't think Clemson or Notre Dame are actually legit so foresee losses for them at some point this season.

Order doesn't matter as the top 4 get into the playoffs.

Robb

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, my Dawgs looked like crap. They were one of 3 games on our schedule I was worried about and we looked like we deserved that beat down,.

Tennessee was a surprising game, those were the only 2 I got to partially see.

@fergie23 said:
    OSU victory over Penn State not looking that good anymore with Penn State losing to Michigan State. Puts that OSU victory on par with the Alabama victory over Texas A&M. OSU-Michigan and Alabama-LSU looking like the only legit tough games until the conference championships.

Michigan State has beaten Penn State 5 out of the last 6 years. So, that game was no surprise.

6 BIG 10 teams in top 25. sec has 7.

Absent several major injuries I don't think anybody is playing the same sport as Alabama this year. They are simply toying with the opponent and not even pushing it in the second half. I realize anybody can beat anybody on a given day, as App State proved years ago, but realistically I don't see how anybody is going to beat Alabama. It seems to me Alabama will be heavy favorite over anybody they play. Long way to go still but the end result feels long a foregone conclusion right now.

There is not a team anywhere that is not capable of losing a game. Yes I do occasionally post on this forum. In fact I think I just did.

Ralph

@Brick said:
    There is not a team anywhere that is not capable of losing a game. Yes I do occasionally post on this forum. In fact I think I just did.

No question but if you could pick one team, straight up winner, to win the championship I think the vast majority of people would pick the same team this year.

Without Tua, LSU will beat Bama.

edited October 14, 2018 10:23PM

@garnettstyle said:

Where did Tua go?

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

Where did Tua go?

You tell me.

Alabama at LSU is shaping up as a huge game. Imagine if LSU wins a close game and then loses the SEC championship to GA or FL? Then, you are back to Alabama and the SEC winner in the playoffs and could have an undefeated ND ranked #5.

edited October 16, 2018 9:40AM

Bosa leaving school to concentrate on draft? Editing because I didn't realize he was injured. Shows how much I pay attention. Still sucks that school is just the minor leagues for these kids.

espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24997557/ohio-state-de-nick-bosa-leaving-school-looking-draft

edited October 16, 2018 11:36AM

@garnettstyle said:

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

Where did Tua go?

You tell me.

Well, he was at practice yesterday and today getting ready for the Vols.

Michigan will whip OSU in a few weeks... B) ...Patterson is going to light your boys up.