Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football 2018

Comments

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 9:44PM

@larryallen73 said:
    Bosa leaving school to concentrate on draft? Editing because I didn't realize he was injured. Shows how much I pay attention. Still sucks that school is just the minor leagues for these kids.

Huge hit losing the best defensive player in college football. We knew this was gonna happen more and more, with teams playing lower tier meaningless bowls,just didn't think it'd effect Playoff/NY6 type teams.

PATHETIC!!!

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@larryallen73 said:
    Bosa leaving school to concentrate on draft? Editing because I didn't realize he was injured. Shows how much I pay attention. Still sucks that school is just the minor leagues for these kids.

espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24997557/ohio-state-de-nick-bosa-leaving-school-looking-draft

Normally I don't like these kind of things with players leaving early, sitting out games, etc. But this one makes sense. He's injured, he had surgery, he was gonna go to the draft after the season anyways, and hes a potential top 3 pick. I don't blame him not wanting to rush back and risk injuring himself worse than he already is. He's on the cusp a huge payday, smart move on his part.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

:*

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

Top college players finally figuring out what a racket the NCAA is. I hope more and more of the top players realize if they get injured they shouldn't bother coming back since it won't impact their draft position and should put all of their focus on rehab and recovery. Obviously, this applies to injuries that would allow them to come back within the same season. Additionally, unless they are playing in the CFP they should skip their final bowl game. Absolutely nothing to gain for them and everything to lose if they blow out a knee.

Robb

• Options

Yep, maybe these top guys ought to just skip college, train on their own, pay for their own training and join the pros at 18.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Universities, TV networks, and a host of other entities make millions off top college players and all is well. Let a player look after his own interest and suddenly he is a bad guy. I have no problem with Bosa leaving to prepare for the draft.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    edited October 18, 2018 10:16PM

• Options

Oh, it's on now big boy...……. B)

• Options

They may not lose but if they try hard enough they could do it.

Ralph

• Options
    edited October 20, 2018 8:02PM

Dang you Purdue, we wanted OSU.
    Oh well, as they say in Buckeye Country....wait until next year.

Was Purdue even ranked?

• Options

Ouch!

Ralph

• Options

People on the Ohio State forums all week kept saying 'BEWARE OF PURDUE'. Buckeyes are 3-5 on the road against Purdue since 2000. Purdue has been a different team since the QB change. Great win for them. Very bad week for the Buckeyes.

• Options
    edited October 21, 2018 5:56AM
    1. Alabama
    2. Clemson
    3. Notre Dame
    4. Michigan

Lot of football to be played, lot of BIG games coming up. OSU isn't out of it yet and a few of the above teams have some tough games to be played. As far as my team, we have a week off to heal after playing 8 in a row. We want LSU at night, in their sandbox....aaahhhh , the smell of corndogs.

• Options

@1970s said:
    Frank says that someone played like chicken $hit on the road this weekend.

No they didn't. But with players coming back from injuries, more practice, better coaching, they could work their way up to chicken $hit.
    I imagine the Buckeyes will drop all the way to #4 :/

Ralph

• Options

Ugly loss by OSU to an inferior team. They didn't just lose they got destroyed. I think the OSU faithful will have to try the "our wins are better than your wins" argument again this year because I doubt another CFP contender will have a loss this bad on their resume. There will be some irony if the CFP committee ends up taking an unbeaten UCF team over a one loss B10 champ OSU team. I have a feeling garnettstyle won't be touting UCF's unbeaten record if it comes down to OSU vs UCF for the final CFP spot.

The one bright spot for OSU fans is that other than Alabama the rest of the teams that will be ahead of OSU are a pretty average group. OSU fans have to be rooting for Alabama to go undefeated and win the SEC championship game.

Robb

• Options

Funny thing when Georgia was #2 and got spanked they only fell 4 spots. Ohio State falls 9 spots. The polls love the southern teams and hate Big 10.

That's why more southern teams make the playoffs. Its rigged and everyone knows it.

• Options

Georgia lost to the team that is currently ranked 4th in the polls. OSU was crushed by a team that was 3-3 and lost to Eastern Michigan. Situations are not even remotely similar.

Fortunately for OSU fans you have a game against Michigan and potentially the B10 championship to regain your place in the polls.

Robb

• Options

It has been obvious from early in the season that OSU is not a championship caliber team. I see no way the Buckeyes move up far enough short of winning out in the manner Purdue handled them and they meet Purdue in the BIG Championship and return the favor. Chances of that are somewhere between slim and none. BTW if UCF goes undefeated and the teams above them devour each other I say give them their shot at the title. Common sense says they would have no shot against Alabama but common sense also says who would?

Ralph

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Georgia lost to the team that is currently ranked 4th in the polls. OSU was crushed by a team that was 3-3 and lost to Eastern Michigan. Situations are not even remotely similar.

>

Purdue beat a ranked team before Ohio State and played a good non conference schedule. Georgia played nothing but cupcakes in non conference. Also Purdue's 3 losses were by a combined 8 points.

• Options

Yeah, but Georgia beat Missouri, Missouri beat Purdue and Purdue beat you know who.

• Options

Purdue beat a ranked team before Ohio State and played a good non conference schedule. Georgia played nothing but cupcakes in non conference. Also Purdue's 3 losses were by a combined 8 points.

Too funny, you forgot to mention Purdue lost 2 of the 3 non-conference games they played. OSU losing to a 3-3 team by 29 points is not the same as Georgia losing to a team that is ranked 4th in the country. I know this concept is not foreign to you since you tried to use the strength of loss in all your OSU arguments in 2015. When OSU lost to MSU in their biggest game of the season and then failed to even play in the B10 championship game.

As for non-conference games OSU tried to schedule decent teams but they all sucked this year as Oregon St is 1-6, TCU is 3-4 and Tulane is 2-5. Not exactly a murders row of non-conference opponents. as they have gone a combined 6-15. Admittedly better than Georgia's pathetic non-conference schedule but Georgia plays the heart of their schedule the next couple weeks and folks will get to see if they are any good (I believe Georgia is overrated but we shall see).

Even more disastrous for OSU is that they have TCU as a common opponent with Oklahoma. Oklahoma spanked TCU by 25 vs the 12 point win by OSU. The CFP committee uses common opponents when evaluating teams from different conferences so OSU fans will have to be rooting for Texas to win the Big 12 or you might be on the outside looking in even if OSU runs the table.

Robb

• Options

Fergie, your OSU hater rants are getting old and tired. Who is your team?

• Options

@1970s said:

@garnettstyle said:

If Ohio State is the conference champion with 1 loss, and UCF is undefeated, and those
    two teams are being considered for the #4 playoff spot, who deserves it more ?

The Big ten champion of course.

• Options
    edited October 23, 2018 1:12PM

@garnettstyle said:

@1970s said:

@garnettstyle said:

If Ohio State is the conference champion with 1 loss, and UCF is undefeated, and those
    two teams are being considered for the #4 playoff spot, who deserves it more ?

The Big ten champion of course.

I agree with Garnett, Michigan would get in.

• Options

No rants just uncomfortable truths for the rapid OSU fan on the board. If your team would just take care of business then you wouldn't have to change your position every year on what the determining factors should be for getting in the college football playoffs.

I've become agnostic over the years in terms of rooting for specific college football teams. I got tired of the SEC but they bring the goods every year. I would love to see Alabama get taken down a couple notches but you basically never see Saban's Alabama teams losing to some unranked conference opponent by 20+ points.

I would like to see all the top teams have stronger non-conference schedules but not sure it will really happen. I think part of the challenge is that the games get scheduled a couple years in advance so hard to know if an opponent will still be any good by the time the game actually happens. That is what happened with OSU-TCU and Alabama-Louisville. Same with Alabama-Florida State last year. That said you have to give credit to OSU and Alabama for trying to schedule at least one top non-conference game a year.

Robb

• Options
    edited October 24, 2018 9:20PM

Some of Bama's opening games and results under Saban, just facts

What other team has opened against such talent in the last 10 years?

2008: Win 34-10 vs. No. 9 Clemson
    2009: Win 34-24 vs. No. 7 Virginia Tech
    2012: Win 41-14 vs. No. 8 Michigan
    2013: Win 35-10 vs. Virginia Tech
    2014: Win 33-23 vs. West Virginia
    2015: Win 35-17 vs. No. 20 Wisconsin
    2016: Win 52-6 vs. No. 20 USC
    2017: Win 24-7 vs. No. 3 FSU

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alabama deserves a lot of crap for some of the stuff they do - scheduling joke opponents in the middle of the conference season, blatantly breaking scholarship rules, paying players, etc - but it's indisputable that they'll go play big boys in the preseason.

• Options
    edited October 24, 2018 9:01PM

@Tabe said:
    Alabama deserves a lot of crap for some of the stuff they do - scheduling joke opponents in the middle of the conference season, blatantly breaking scholarship rules, paying players, etc - but it's indisputable that they'll go play big boys in the preseason.

Preseason? There is no preseason.
    What players did they pay and when?
    What scholarship rules did they break and when?

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

"preseason" - I am very obviously referring to non- conference, often called preseason.

"paying players" - https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/11/report_alleges_2009_alabama_fo.html

"scholarship rules" - Oversigning. 13 or 14 openings, signs 26+ players. https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/oversigning-index-on-another-front-its-still-alabama-and-everyone-else/

• Options
    edited October 24, 2018 11:48PM

@Tabe said:

And they always schedule a cupcake FCS opponent, the week before they play Auburn. They also refuse to schedule home and home games with non conference opponents.

• Options
    edited October 25, 2018 7:07AM

@Tabe said:
    "preseason" - I am very obviously referring to non- conference, often called preseason.

"paying players" - https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/11/report_alleges_2009_alabama_fo.html

"scholarship rules" - Oversigning. 13 or 14 openings, signs 26+ players. https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/oversigning-index-on-another-front-its-still-alabama-and-everyone-else/

paying players = "alleges" says SI (Alabama didn't pay for any autographs as you say)

scholarship rules = there were no rules in place at that time all teams were doing it. When they set the limit of 25 that's what we did.

What did the NCAA do about these two infractions?

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@Tabe said:

And they always schedule a cupcake FCS opponent, the week before they play Auburn. They also refuse to schedule home and home games with non conference opponents.

We should have scheduled Purdue.
    BS Garnett, we played a home and home against PSU a few years back. We have home and home against Texas and Notre Dame coming up. We tried for some more BIG10 teams but they won't play us.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

>

2008: Win 34-10 vs. No. 9 Clemson
    2009: Win 34-24 vs. No. 7 Virginia Tech
    2012: Win 41-14 vs. No. 8 Michigan
    2013: Win 35-10 vs. Virginia Tech
    2014: Win 33-23 vs. West Virginia
    2015: Win 35-17 vs. No. 20 Wisconsin
    2016: Win 52-6 vs. No. 20 USC
    2017: Win 24-7 vs. No. 3 FSU

Every game was played on a neutral site. No home and home

• Options

Never said they were, what's your point?

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the point people are trying to get across is if you look at a handful of teams future schedules in upcoming years you’ll see the following out of conference games. I don’t think it’s that other teams don’t want to play Alabama. I think it’s more Alabama doesn’t want to have home and homes against quality opponents anymore. They’d rather play a single neutral site game at the beginning of the year. I think these 3 big ten teams scheduling home and homes against teams like auburn, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Washington, etc shows that they aren’t the problem here.

Ohio State
    Home and homes against:
    Oregon
    Notre Dame
    Washington
    Texas

Penn State
    Home and homes against:
    Auburn
    West Virginia
    Virginia Tech

Michigan
    Home and homes against:
    Notre Dame
    Washington
    UCLA
    Texas
    Oklahoma

Alabama
    Home and homes against:
    Texas
    Neutral site single games against:
    USC
    Miami

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2018 8:29AM

And why have they scheduled these games? So they can have a better resume than previous years.
    I see only PSU has a SEC team scheduled and it's not Bama.

• Options

My current top 10

Alabama
    Notre Dame
    Clemson
    Michigan
    LSU
    Oklahoma
    Ohio State
    Georgia
    Washington state
    UCF

• Options
    1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. Notre Dame
    4. LSU

Michigan, Oklahoma, Georgia, OSU.

• Options

# 1 vs # 4...….we're gonna beat the # 2 out of them in their house.

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

I don't actively participate much on these boards anymore, but I still pop into this thread every other week or so as I always enjoyed seeing the passion of the posters here and I like to read the banter. There is no better sport on the planet to me than college football.

I've spent a significant portion of my Fall so far commuting to the Notre Dame games from Texas. I'll typically take one of my friends or my daughter or wife, and I take time along the way to meet with some of my internet friends along the journies. Next two excursions will be for the FSU game at Notre Dame, and for the game against Syracuse at Yankee Stadium. I've never been inside Yankee Stadium, so I'm really looking forward to that one.

I've been pretty satisfied with the season to date. Parity everywhere, but so far, my team has escaped unscathed.

The QB switch to Book after the 3rd game, has given Irish fans hope that the team can get into the playoffs and let the chips fall where they may. Any week could derail the train, like all but 3 other Division 1 FBS schools have learned this season, but for now, it keeps on going down the rails.

With the 1st rankings that matter coming down the pipe in a couple of days, this is how I THINK the top four will be Tuesday night:

1) Alabama
    2) Clemson
    3) LSU
    4) Notre Dame

This is how I think the top four should be as of now:

1) Alabama
    2) Clemson
    3) Notre Dame
    4) Michigan

And here is my prediction on how the final 4 will end up at regular season's end whether it is right, wrong, or indifferent:

1) Alabama
    2) Clemson
    3) Notre Dame
    4) Oklahoma

Good luck to your respective squads along the way except for the ones that play ND.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

Navarro, the 1973 game between Bama and Notre Dame still hurts. Great game with great coaches and players.

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

Bullsitter,

I'm sure I probably watched it, although admittedly I don't remember it (I was 3). Have read about it though and you are right, great teams, players, and coaches. Have a signed ball from that ND team in my mancave.

Although I root against Alabama almost every weekend during the season, I love the community there and the program that they've built. Have been to their stadium 3 times over the past few years. Friendly peeps (even when I wear ND stuff) and good food.

Respect for them,

Mike

Buying US Presidential autographs