Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football 2018

Comments

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Would be cool to see ND run the table. But I predict they are going to get upset this Saturday against the Wildcats.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

AP Top 25:

AP Top 25 - Week 10
    1. Alabama (8-0)
    2. Clemson (8-0)
    3. Notre Dame (8-0)
    4. LSU (7-1)
    5. Michigan (7-1)
    6. Georgia (7-1)
    7. Oklahoma (7-1)
    8. Ohio State (7-1)
    9. UCF (7-0)
    10. Washington State (7-1)
    11. Kentucky (7-1)
    12. West Virginia (6-1)
    13. Florida (6-2)
    14. Penn State (6-2)
    15. Texas (6-2)
    16. Utah (6-2)
    17. Houston (7-1)
    18. Utah State (7-1)
    19. Iowa (6-2)
    20. Fresno State (7-1)
    21. Mississippi State (5-3)
    22. Syracuse (6-2)
    23. Virginia (6-2)
    24. Boston College (6-2)
    25. Texas A&M (5-3)

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:
    Would be cool to see ND run the table. But I predict they are going to get upset this Saturday against the Wildcats.

They very well could get Purdue'd, you never know. That's what makes this sport so fun.

The psyche of 18 to 23 year old men is highly volatile. Have a fight with your fake girlfriend/boyfriend, have a fight with parents, having trouble in class (at least at the non-football factories), get caught committing a crime, be pissed because your coach touched you, and your football mind and heart might not be ready to go any given Saturday.

Tee it up, kick it off, and play ball.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2018 1:54PM

A few Michigan band members just read your post. I asked them if your positive thoughts about Notre Dame are welcome here. Here's what they said.

God bless Ann Arbor, the only visiting stadium I've ever been to where they threw bottles at me. (And I still hope they beat Ohio State EVERY time they play lol) Was glad their aim was as bad as their QB's. ;)

• Options

@larryallen73 said:
    AP Top 25:

AP Top 25 - Week 10
    1. Alabama (8-0)
    2. Clemson (8-0)
    3. Notre Dame (8-0)
    4. LSU (7-1)
    5. Michigan (7-1)
    6. Georgia (7-1)
    7. Oklahoma (7-1)
    8. Ohio State (7-1)
    9. UCF (7-0)
    10. Washington State (7-1)
    11. Kentucky (7-1)
    12. West Virginia (6-1)
    13. Florida (6-2)
    14. Penn State (6-2)
    15. Texas (6-2)
    16. Utah (6-2)
    17. Houston (7-1)
    18. Utah State (7-1)
    19. Iowa (6-2)
    20. Fresno State (7-1)
    21. Mississippi State (5-3)
    22. Syracuse (6-2)
    23. Virginia (6-2)
    24. Boston College (6-2)
    25. Texas A&M (5-3)

Washington State creeping up into the top 10. The Pac 12's hope for a playoff spot. Their coach is one funny dude.

• Options

Key games this week.

Georgia @ Kentucky
    West Virginia @ Texas
    Penn State @ Michigan
    Notre Dame @ Northwestern
    Alabama @ LSU
    Oklahoma @ Texas Tech

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2018 9:25PM

@garnettstyle said:
    Key games this week.

Georgia @ Kentucky
    West Virginia @ Texas
    Penn State @ Michigan
    Notre Dame @ Northwestern
    Alabama @ LSU
    Oklahoma @ Texas Tech

Don't forget Iowa vs. Purdue, some people call it the "We Whipped OSU and Made Them Like It Bowl".

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is the disagree button? They may have whipped us but we certainly didn't like it.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    Where is the disagree button? They may have whipped us but we certainly didn't like it.

I liked it because the week after the Iowa game we clocked Michigan state by 45.

Funny, every team that has played the Buckeyes this year, except for one, has gone on to lose the following week.

• Options

College Football Playoff Rankings
    RK TEAM REC TREND
    1 Alabama 8-0 NR
    2 Clemson 8-0 NR
    3 LSU 7-1 NR
    4 Notre Dame 8-0 NR
    5 Michigan 7-1 NR
    6 Georgia 7-1 NR
    7 Oklahoma 7-1 NR
    8 Washington State 7-1 NR
    9 Kentucky 7-1 NR
    10 Ohio State 7-1 NR
    11 Florida 6-2 NR
    12 UCF 7-0 NR
    13 West Virginia 6-1 NR
    14 Penn State 6-2 NR
    15 Utah 6-2 NR
    16 Iowa 6-2 NR
    17 Texas 6-2 NR
    18 Mississippi State 5-3 NR
    19 Syracuse 6-2 NR
    20 Texas A&M 5-3 NR
    21 NC State 5-2 NR
    22 Boston College 6-2 NR
    23 Fresno State 7-1 NR
    24 Iowa State 4-3 NR
    25 Virginia 6-2 NR

• Options

A lot of changes in the committee the last couple of years. And they seem to get worse Every year. We need a better system.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2018 12:14PM

Why, because OSU is # 10?

1. Bama 0 loses
    2. Clemson 0 loses
    3. LSU lost to #11 Florida by 8
    4. N. Dame 0 loses
    5. Michigan lost to #4 N. Dame by 7
    6. Georgia lost to #3 LSU by 20
    7. Oklahoma lost to #17 Texas by 3
    8. WSU lost to unranked USC by 3
    9. Kentucky lost to #20 A&M by 6
    10. OSU lost to unranked Purdue by 29

They're lucky to be #10, I would have gave that spot to UCF, last years National Champion.

• Options

I think the current standings, for example Washington State ahead of Ohio State, shows how badly the committee looks at the Ohio State loss. To me Ohio State is a much better team than Wazzu but I think the committee is sending a clear message to not get your clock cleaned (for the second year in a row) by an inferior opponent.

Slightly changing subjects how much longer will Urban be at Ohio State? Where does he go next? Pros? Well, the NFL I mean.

• Options
    edited November 1, 2018 12:13AM

I really don't care who's ahead of Ohio State or who's not right now. What concerns me is ranking a 3 loss texas a#m team in the top 20, just to make it look like Alabama has a quality win. For four years now, the committee always does their best to hype up sec teams. I'm honestly shocked to see that Auburn wasn't ranked.

• Options

SEC is clearly the toughest conference. Alabama is #1 by a wide margin. OSU is not a top ten team as of now but could move up if they win out with quality wins against those guys up North and the BIG Championship. It won't be enough to get them in. If somehow Alabama is not SEC Champs the SEC will again have two teams in. Notre Dame must be undefeated to get in. Any team that has a loss will be out if they drop another game. As of now I think it will be LSU, Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma. I would love to see them go to 8 teams with all Power Conference Champs in and the Top independent. If somehow Alabama finds a way to defeat a team with OSUs third string QB take out LSU and replace them with UCF.

Ralph

• Options
    edited November 1, 2018 11:44AM

@garnettstyle said:
    I really don't care who's ahead of Ohio State or who's not right now. What concerns me is ranking a 3 loss texas a#m team in the top 20, just to make it look like Alabama has a quality win. For four years now, the committee always does their best to hype up sec teams. I'm honestly shocked to see that Auburn wasn't ranked.

Yep, Texas A&M does have 3 loses. Two of those loses were to #1 Bama and #2 Clemson, they almost beat Clemson.
    We don't need any help Garnett, however, your team does. Is that top quality win over TCU helping you?

• Options

@Brick said:
    SEC is clearly the toughest conference. .

No. Big 10 is the toughest conference. Don't listen to espn. All they do is hide the truth.

• Options
    edited November 2, 2018 11:19AM

This is how bad the playoff committee is. NC state is ranked #41 in the AP. Probably where they should be. The committee has them at #21. LOL

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@Brick said:
    SEC is clearly the toughest conference. .

No. Big 10 is the toughest conference. Don't listen to espn. All they do is hide the truth.

• Options

Most non-conference wins vs current College football playoff top 25....

Big Ten - 5
    ACC - 1
    SEC - 0

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    Most non-conference wins vs current College football playoff top 25....

Big Ten - 5
    ACC - 1
    SEC - 0

But you said the committee's TOP 25 is a joke. I guess it depends on how YOU want to stir it.

• Options

Oh my, I really do like those OSU uniforms.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

>

But you said the committee's TOP 25 is a joke. I guess it depends on how YOU want to stir it.

The Selection Committee has shown time and again that it's criteria depends upon how the wind is blowing that day. Bama was in the playoffs after they won their spring game.

• Options

Luckily Clemson eased up and put in their 3rd and 4th stringers. Yikes! 77-16. That was a beating. Does anybody not have Alabama and Clemson in the final 4 at this point? Playing different brands of football. Will be curious what 'bama does tonight.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@larryallen73 said:

Slightly changing subjects how much longer will Urban be at Ohio State? Where does he go next? Pros? Well, the NFL I mean.

I expect him to retire in the next year or two. He's got major health issues.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@larryallen73 said:

Major?

• Options

Garnetts current top 10

Bama
    Notre Dame
    Clemson
    Michigan
    West Virginia
    Oklahoma
    Ohio State
    Georgia
    UCF
    Washington state

• Options

Gumbo tasting mighty fine this morning.

Clemson, good gosh is all I can say.
    Michigan is on a roll. They're talented, strong and fast, but most of all they are hungry. Like I said a few weeks ago, they will beat OSU.

Speaking of OSU, their transfer QB for LSU said that Alabama had the best defense he'd ever seen.
    I'd have to agree with him.

Wednesday morning
    1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. Notre Dame
    4. Michigan

• Options
    edited November 4, 2018 8:10AM

Was another enjoyable Saturday of entertaining football. Looking forward to the upcoming weekend as my daughter and I are traveling up for the Notre Dame/Florida State game. She is excited because the weather forecast says it might be snowing and we don't have that where we are from very often. She was already picking out her wintry clothes to pack during last night's game.

Also looking forward to attending the Irish women's basketball game while we are there. Those ladies had a helluva run last year in winning the National Championship.

Great food, great company, and hopefully win number 10 next weekend.

Was glad to see LSU (didn't even score, that just warms my heart ;) ) and Kentucky eliminated yesterday.

• Options

Yep, Kentucky went from football to basketball in warp speed.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

Speaking of OSU, their transfer QB for LSU said that Alabama had the best defense he'd ever seen.

LSU OC was fired at Clemson in 98 for inept offenses, still has em. Can't believe Coach O got rid of Matt Canada for this idjit.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@Bullsitter said:

LSU OC was fired at Clemson in 98 for inept offenses, still has em. Can't believe Coach O got rid of Matt Canada for this idjit.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

@Tabe said:

@larryallen73 said:

Major?

He has a brain cyst that has previously required brain surgery.

• Options

College Football Playoff Ranking
    1. Alabama (9-0)
    2. Clemson (9-0)
    3. Notre Dame (9-0)
    4. Michigan (8-1)

5. Georgia (8-1)
    6. Oklahoma (8-1)
    7. LSU (7-2)
    8. Washington State (8-1)
    9. West Virginia (7-1)
    10. Ohio State (8-1)
    11. Kentucky (7-2)
    12. UCF (8-0)
    13. Syracuse (7-2)
    14. NC State (6-2)
    15. Florida (6-3)
    16. Mississippi State (6-3)
    17. Boston College (7-2)
    18. Michigan State (6-3)
    19. Texas (6-3)
    20. Penn State (6-3)
    21. Iowa (6-3)
    22. Iowa State (5-3)
    23. Fresno State (8-1)
    24. Auburn (6-3)
    25. Washington (7-3)

• Options

Appears the Buckeyes are eliminated from consideration this year as 5 one loss and a two loss team are ranked ahead of them. Last year the committee couldn't get over Iowa. This year Purdue knocked them out. It can still be a good year if we upset those folks up North.

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    Appears the Buckeyes are eliminated from consideration this year as 5 one loss and a two loss team are ranked ahead of them. Last year the committee couldn't get over Iowa. This year Purdue knocked them out. It can still be a good year if we upset those folks up North.

The Purdue loss was bad but, to me, Ohio State is a much more capable team than WVU or Wazzu for sure. Probably better than LSU too. They threw up a dud against Purdue no doubt and they aren't dominating this year but I still think they are better than some of the teams above them. Of course if they beat Michigan they might leapfrog a couple of those teams. It's a long shot for them to make the playoffs but not impossible.

• Options
    edited November 7, 2018 12:50PM

(jmo) I think OSU will be eliminated this weekend, MSU will take care of that.
    Something just isn't right this year.

FWIW, I'll be pulling for OSU

• Options

Woke up this AM to the news that ND's QB is out for Saturday night's game.

It's always something. The backup QB has already beaten media darling Michigan this year so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Hopefully the weather forecast of snow happens for this weekend. Flying up tomorrow with my daughter to start the weekend watching the defending national champion WBB team and hope to end up Saturday night shivering at Notre Dame Stadium watching an Irish victory.

Time will tell.

• Options

@thenavarro said:

It's always something. The backup QB has already beaten media darling Michigan this year so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Hopefully the weather forecast of snow happens for this weekend. Flying up tomorrow with my daughter to start the weekend watching the defending national champion WBB team and hope to end up Saturday night shivering at Notre Dame Stadium watching an Irish victory.

Time will tell.

Good luck to you. Sounds like a great weekend!

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thenavarro said:

Time will tell.

I think they’ll be ok with Wimbush. I liked him when he started. I didn’t think he was that bad. They should still be able to win this week. Have fun at the game. I’m heading up to the Penn State- Wisconsin game on Saturday. Not the game many thought it would be months ago for either team, but should still be fun.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

Wimbush stunk it up after the michigan game. They should still beat FSU. Their offense has too many problems.

• Options

Any upsets today?

• Options

When was the last time a team shutout ranked teams two weeks in a row!? Heck, teams rarely shut anybody out let alone ranked teams. I am excited for Alabama to play Georgia, Michigan, Clemson, etc... but it's hard to picture anybody beating them.

• Options

We have to get Tua healthy. We have 2 weeks to do it before we play Auburn and then Georgia. Auburn will bring the house looking for an upset. Georgia is very good and getting better each week and they want revenge. Bama vs Georgia will be a war.

ND looked good as did Michigan. ND has to go to Syracuse which is playing very good also.
    OSU vs Michigan is going to be a slobber-knocker

1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. N. Dame
    4. Michigan
      Georgia, Oklahoma, WSU, UCF