Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football 2018

Comments

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2018 11:58AM

Who would have thought that the BIG10 would be left out 2 years in a row?

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Who would have thought that the BIG10 would be left out 2 years in a row?

I think the committee made a bigger comment about the SEC v. other conferences by putting UGA at #5 ahead of conference champion OSU. I realize at least one person will call that SEC bias but whatever you call it a committee of people whose opinion actually matters thinks it.

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

And Nostradamus Navarro nailed it back on Oct 28 lol
    Nailed the initial rankings with LSU jumping ND and nailed the final 4 as well.

Irish play in my backyard so won't have to miss work or travel for that one.

Looking forward to it.

GO IRISH!!

@thenavarro said:
    I don't actively participate much on these boards anymore, but I still pop into this thread every other week or so as I always enjoyed seeing the passion of the posters here and I like to read the banter. There is no better sport on the planet to me than college football.

I've spent a significant portion of my Fall so far commuting to the Notre Dame games from Texas. I'll typically take one of my friends or my daughter or wife, and I take time along the way to meet with some of my internet friends along the journies. Next two excursions will be for the FSU game at Notre Dame, and for the game against Syracuse at Yankee Stadium. I've never been inside Yankee Stadium, so I'm really looking forward to that one.

I've been pretty satisfied with the season to date. Parity everywhere, but so far, my team has escaped unscathed.

The QB switch to Book after the 3rd game, has given Irish fans hope that the team can get into the playoffs and let the chips fall where they may. Any week could derail the train, like all but 3 other Division 1 FBS schools have learned this season, but for now, it keeps on going down the rails.

With the 1st rankings that matter coming down the pipe in a couple of days, this is how I THINK the top four will be Tuesday night:

1) Alabama
    2) Clemson
    3) LSU
    4) Notre Dame

This is how I think the top four should be as of now:

1) Alabama
    2) Clemson
    3) Notre Dame
    4) Michigan

And here is my prediction on how the final 4 will end up at regular season's end whether it is right, wrong, or indifferent:

1) Alabama
    2) Clemson
    3) Notre Dame
    4) Oklahoma

Good luck to your respective squads along the way except for the ones that play ND.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

Some unexciting New Year's Six bowl games.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2018 1:34PM

I liked the Alabama-GA game yesterday.

Was watching the Ohio-NW game and saw this - froze the screen and took a pic - IMO priceless.

How the hell did they get those seats!

Mike
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

I'd love to see a television special where Joel Klatt sits on one side of the room and the thirteen committee members sit on the other. Give Joel an hour to tear them apart at the seams for their hypocrisy. That is a playoff match up I'd pay to see.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    edited December 2, 2018 4:21PM

After my team getting screwed out of a national championship for the fourth time in seven years. I've about had enough of this committee espn influenced fraud. This year Ohio State has had better wins than Georgia, Clemson AND Oklahoma. Big ten was the best conference last year going 14-6 against the non conference power five. And one of the 2 best conferences this year going 3-1 against the BIG 12. Buckeyes also play in probably the toughest division in college football. Yet the idiots on this committee pick Oklahoma. Oklahoma LOST to their rival. Buckeyes BEAT THEIR RIVAL BY 23 POINTS. MICHIGAN is a better team than Texas. Oklahoma A team that has no chance against Bama. OSU got robbed AGAIN by this fraud committee. Will be boycotting playoffs again. This committee is a joke. Until it expands this isnt worth watching. They keep excluding the 1 team that can best saban. I REFUSE to watch the rose bowl and wish the whole team would boycott the game in protest. I declare Ohio State the 2018 national champions. They deserve it. They have the best QB in the nation that put on 62 against the number 1 defense. And won the title game by 21 points. A team ND only beat by 10 and only beat Michigan by 7. Notre Dame hasn't beaten the Buckeyes since 1936. And I don't need to hear the dumb excuse that WELL THEY LOST TO PURDUE BY ALOT. That's only one game. The haters came up with a different excuse when they got left out in 2015 when they were riding on a 23 game winning streak, defending champions and their only blemish was a 3 point loss in the final seconds. AND NEVER trailed in any of their games .The truth is about the only way the Buckeyes can win it all anymore is if they go undefeated. And then im sure the haters will find excuses to KEEP them out. Buckeyes are the most hated team in the country. I don't care who wins in the playoffs, its all a sham.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the current system is flawed because people are involved.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:
    After my team getting screwed out of a national championship for the fourth time in seven years. I've about had enough of this committee espn influenced fraud. This year Ohio State has had better wins than Georgia, Clemson AND Oklahoma. Big ten was the best conference last year going 14-6 against the non conference power five. And one of the 2 best conferences this year going 3-1 against the BIG 12. Buckeyes also play in probably the toughest division in college football. Yet the idiots on this committee pick Oklahoma. Oklahoma LOST to their rival. Buckeyes BEAT THEIR RIVAL BY 23 POINTS. MICHIGAN is a better team than Texas. Oklahoma A team that has no chance against Bama. OSU got robbed AGAIN by this fraud committee. Will be boycotting playoffs again. This committee is a joke. Until it expands this isnt worth watching. They keep excluding the 1 team that can best saban. I REFUSE to watch the rose bowl and wish the whole team would boycott the game in protest. I declare Ohio State the 2018 national champions. They deserve it. They have the best QB in the nation that put on 62 against the number 1 defense. And won the title game by 21 points. A team ND only beat by 10 and only beat Michigan by 7. Notre Dame hasn't beaten the Buckeyes since 1936. And I don't need to hear the dumb excuse that WELL THEY LOST TO PURDUE BY ALOT. That's only one game. The haters came up with a different excuse when they got left out in 2015 when they were riding on a 23 game winning streak, defending champions and their only blemish was a 3 point loss in the final seconds. AND NEVER trailed in any of their games .The truth is about the only way the Buckeyes can win it all anymore is if they go undefeated. And then im sure the haters will find excuses to KEEP them out. Buckeyes are the most hated team in the country. I don't care who wins in the playoffs, its all a sham.

espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401013348

• Options

The committee didn't get it right because they didn't get the four best teams in. Ohio State would beat ND and Oklahoma.

• Options

no surprise. SABAN wants no part of URBAN LOL.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

It's important to remember that Ohio also gave up 51 to Maryland and only a blown 2pt conversion kept that from being a loss. That HAD to have influenced the committee, I would think.

I would have picked Oklahoma over Ohio as well but certainly would not have been the travesty to pick Ohio that picking Georgia would have been.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew after the Purdue game the Buckeyes had no chance. They finished strong enough to be mentioned but not good enough to be selected. If somehow they would have gotten in I would not apologize. At the same time I have no complaints. I would like to see the Playoffs go to at least 8 teams. The five major conference Champs and three at large teams. There are at least two teams not in that would not be favorites but have a reasonable shot at winning it all. BTW in 2015 the Buckeyes were screwed over big time, IMHO.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Buckeyes get screwed almost every year. Seriously what does the conference have to do to get any respect? Last year they went 7-1 in the bowl games and then crickets.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPION IS INCLUDED

• Options
    edited December 2, 2018 8:56PM

@Tabe said:

@garnettstyle said:

It's important to remember that Ohio also gave up 51 to Maryland and only a blown 2pt conversion kept that from being a loss. That HAD to have influenced the committee, I would think.

I would have picked Oklahoma over Ohio as well but certainly would not have been the travesty to pick Ohio that picking Georgia would have been.

OKLAHOMA beat nobody. texas lost to maryland

• Options
    edited December 2, 2018 9:55PM

Missouri beat Purdue, Purdue beat OSU.
    So, an average SEC East team would beat OSU.

Good luck against Washington.

• Options
    edited December 2, 2018 10:18PM

@Bullsitter said:
    Missouri beat Purdue, Purdue beat OSU.
    So, an average SEC East team would beat OSU.

Good luck against Washington.

Nah, you know the Buckeyes would beat your team. They sure didn't look like the number one team in the country this past Saturday. URBAN OWNS NICKY

Get ready for another Clemson bama final. Bama will destroy Oklahoma. They don't have a pulse for a defense.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@garnettstyle said:

I guess you and the committee missed this BLOWN 2 pt conversion. :neutral:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF7kXj4sfmA

• Options
    edited December 3, 2018 4:28AM

2017 - 2018 College football non-conference records against the POWER 5

Big 10 - 21-11
    SEC - 19-15
    BIG 12 - 12-14
    PAC 12 - 10-13
    ACC - 14-23

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure garnett will call the Strength of Schedule "fake news"...Sort of makes all those B10 is the toughest conference this season arguments look silly.

As for the non-conference record, you have to look at the quality of those wins and losses. Presumably the 2nd best team in the B10 - NW - went 0-3 out of conference and lost to two nobodies. NW lost by 3 at Michigan - the 2nd best team in the B10 East - and ran the table against the rest of the B10 teams it played. By Garnett's home/away logic that means NW would have won by 2 touchdowns if the game had been played at Ryan Field. Yet the same team that was beating a supposedly elite Michigan 17-0 in the 2nd quarter lost to Akron & Duke the two weeks prior.

Last year the B10 did great in bowl games but the SEC had the two best teams in the country. Your entire argument his year for the B10 focuses on your irrational belief that you have two great teams (OSU & Michigan).

The B10 will get a bowl win when OSU crushes Washington but OSU should be playing Georgia. I would have wanted to see Penn State playing LSU instead of an overrated Kentucky as well as Michigan playing Georgia or LSU. The best teams in the B10 should be playing the best teams from the SEC and be seeded appropriately if any bragging rights will be determined. It is no different than in head to head team competitions where a coach puts his worst player against the best from the other side in order to shift the rest of the matches to an advantage for his team.

It would be great if the B10 and SEC would schedule conference wide head to head each year like conferences do in college basketball.

Robb

• Options
    edited December 3, 2018 1:07PM

LOL SEC did not have the two best teams in the country. The 2 best teams were Ohio State and Wisconsin. OSU was spanking everyone and playing their best football late in the season. Wisconsin went 13-1. Bama played nobody and did not deserve a playoff spot. The whole system is rigged and everyone with half a brain knows it.

• Options

Funny how fergie is already making excuses for sec teams if they lose the bowl games LOL.

• Options
    edited December 3, 2018 2:21PM

The last 4 years of the playoffs the BIG10 has only sent 2 teams out of 16
    Those 2 teams, OSU and MSU were clobbered 69-0. No wonder they weren't invited, they are boring.
    B)

• Options

Bullsitter, will you agree that probably anyone who went instead of OSU and MSU during that period probably would have suffered the same fate?? maybe even worse. going in and facing Alabama as the Number Four seed in the past half-decade hasn't been easy. to that end and following your logic it might be that the "Committee" is trying to find the best competition for that game. it is a bitter pill to swallow in saying that the 'Tide has been tough during that period, there just should be a more objective, reasoned and systematic way to field these four Teams.

by virtue of their records, numbers 1-3 have shown they are above everyone else but not really that much above. playing early games against whipping boys is silly. it is a sad fact that the Committee positions Teams to achieve a pre-determined objective, having them ready lower in the rankings in case something unexpected happens.

the biggest thing about this year which just didn't seem proper was Notre Dame. think about it, all the other Teams in reasonable contention for a playoff spot --- Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma and Ohio State --- weren't so much playing to get in, they were playing to STAY in. Georgia in particular suffered because of that. I seriously doubt there is any scenario we could imagine which would have left Notre Dame at Number Five.

there is something wrong with that, I wonder how it will be fixed.

• Options
    edited December 3, 2018 7:22PM

@garnettstyle said:

@Tabe said:

@garnettstyle said:

Yeah, having a defender knock down a pass in a rivalry game is absolutely the same thing as a quarterback air mailing a wide open throw. You nailed it.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Tabe said:

@garnettstyle said:

Yeah, having a defender knock down a pass in a rivalry game is absolutely the same thing as a quarterback air mailing a wide open throw. You nailed it.

LOL the Oklahoma state receiver was WIDE OPEN. But the QB threw the ball about 6 ft too short. Oklahoma state should've won that game.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meyer retiring after the Rose Bowl

• Options

I expect Oklahoma to have a small lead or be very close after the first half. Alabama will turn it on the second half and on to the Championship Game. Notre Dame will be exposed and embarrassed by Clemson.

Ralph

• Options

Oklahoma is one of the few teams that has a winning record against us. I think it'll be like the Georgia game.
    We just need to run the dang ball and the clock.

RTD, member of the SOS CLUB.

SOS stands for......Sons of Saban.... B)

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    Meyer retiring after the Rose Bowl

I do not think anybody is surprised by this. Well maybe one person but everybody else knew it was happening. Too bad. Great coach. Ethics are questionable but I would say most successful coaches have questionable ethics. Even the great Coach Wooden badly abused the system back in the day.

• Options

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:
    Haskins has proven in the big games that he is the best QB in the country. 499 yards passing tonight. 17 td passes in the last three games. No question OSU deserves the fourth spot spanking NW by 3 td's. ND only beat NW by 10.

Apparently someone had some doubt.

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

Toughest division? ROFLMAO

• Options
    edited December 6, 2018 3:18AM

Meyer has the best record against top 5 opponents in history. That's why the sec biased committee kept the Buckeyes out of the playoffs most years. This year, like most any other year, were the team that had that best shot at knocking out the Tide. Oklahoma? LOL They have yet to win a playoff game.

• Options
    edited December 6, 2018 3:37AM

Thank you, Urban.

• Options

Urban Meyer Leaves Ohio State With One of the Most Remarkable Head Coaching Records in Football History.
    Coaching in 218 games and winning 186 of them, Urban Meyer's .853 win percentage is one of the highest ever. He won three national titles (just one of 16 college football coaches to accomplish this feat) at two different universities, including his most recent at Ohio State in 2014. Meyer was 11-3 in the 14 bowl games he coached, and will be favored to win his 15th and first Rose Bowl.
    Urban Meyer was an amazing 26-2 in his career against his rivals. Absolutely unparalleled in college football!!!

Urban Meyer won seven conference titles at Utah, Florida, and Ohio State combined
     Meyer had by far the highest winning percentage of any active coach with over ten years of head coaching experience
     Meyer's teams finished their seasons ranked in the top five eight times during his career
     Meyer never posted a record worse than 8-5 (Florida, 2010)

• Options

Agreed. I guess it is nice when 12-1 is a terribly disappointing year. Only the Buckeyes and Alabama consider a one loss season to be a disappointment. Everyone else considers that a great season.

Ralph

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    Urban Meyer Leaves Ohio State With One of the Most Remarkable Head Coaching Records in Football History.
    Coaching in 218 games and winning 186 of them, Urban Meyer's .853 win percentage is one of the highest ever. He won three national titles (just one of 16 college football coaches to accomplish this feat) at two different universities, including his most recent at Ohio State in 2014. Meyer was 11-3 in the 14 bowl games he coached, and will be favored to win his 15th and first Rose Bowl.
    Urban Meyer was an amazing 26-2 in his career against his rivals. Absolutely unparalleled in college football!!!

Urban Meyer won seven conference titles at Utah, Florida, and Ohio State combined
     Meyer had by far the highest winning percentage of any active coach with over ten years of head coaching experience
     Meyer's teams finished their seasons ranked in the top five eight times during his career

That's some very good stats on Meyer. The winning percentage is off the charts. Top 5 rankings are strong.
    How come he only won 1 National Championship at OSU?

• Options
    edited December 6, 2018 7:19PM

2012 Not permitted to play in a bowl game because of transgressions that had nothing to do with Meyer. Finished season undefeated and would probably have faced Notre Dame for the Championship and also probably the favorite.
    2015 Never trailed in any game the entire year except for one loss on the games final play. Not selected for the playoffs. Good chance they would have been favored to win it all or close to it.
    2018 Not selected. No complaints. However if they were in they would have as good a chance as anyone except for Alabama.

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    2012 Not permitted to play in a bowl game because of transgressions that had nothing to do with Meyer. Finished season undefeated and would probably have faced Notre Dame for the Championship and also probably the favorite.
    2015 Never trailed in any game the entire year except for one loss on the games final play. Not selected for the playoffs. Good chance they would have been favored to win it all or close to it.
    2018 Not selected. No complaints. However if they were in they would have as good a chance as anyone except for Alabama.

I don't recall what the deal was in 2015. Was it unfair that they weren't selected?

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

2015 was only unfair if you are a rabid OSU supporter.

Alabama - 12-1 SEC champions lost by one score at home to ranked Mississippi St
    Clemson - 13-0 ACC champions, undefeated in regular season
    Michigan St - 12-1 B10 champions, beat OSU head to head, only lost by 1 point at Nebraska
    Oklahoma - 11-1 Big12 champions, lost by one score to Texas on a neutral field

MSU lost to Alabama 38-0 in the CFP semi-finals.

There were no sliders in the playoffs that year and no legitimate argument to be made for OSU other than that they should get an automatic spot in the playoffs because they were the defending national champions. I think if the SEC or Big12 champion had two losses that year instead of one OSU would have been selected.

OSU has a much more legitimate gripe this year. When there is nothing to really distinguish between two 1 loss conference champions, one side is going to be upset. OSU quit in their loss to Purdue and that ended up being the deciding factor. I would have preferred to see OSU in the playoffs even with their loss to Purdue as I think they are more talented and better coached than Oklahoma, but I can't really complain about the CFP committee's decision.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    2015 was only unfair if you are a rabid OSU supporter.

Alabama - 12-1 SEC champions lost by one score at home to ranked Mississippi St
    Clemson - 13-0 ACC champions, undefeated in regular season
    Michigan St - 12-1 B10 champions, beat OSU head to head, only lost by 1 point at Nebraska
    Oklahoma - 11-1 Big12 champions, lost by one score to Texas on a neutral field

MSU lost to Alabama 38-0 in the CFP semi-finals.

There were no sliders in the playoffs that year and no legitimate argument to be made for OSU other than that they should get an automatic spot in the playoffs because they were the defending national champions. I think if the SEC or Big12 champion had two losses that year instead of one OSU would have been selected.

OSU has a much more legitimate gripe this year. When there is nothing to really distinguish between two 1 loss conference champions, one side is going to be upset. OSU quit in their loss to Purdue and that ended up being the deciding factor. I would have preferred to see OSU in the playoffs even with their loss to Purdue as I think they are more talented and better coached than Oklahoma, but I can't really complain about the CFP committee's decision.

Robb

That is interesting. Like many years 5 worthy teams but can only pick 4 so someone will always feel left out but if you lose your conference championship game hard to be too upset. Sort of like if you get your butt smoked by Iowa or Purdue. It sucks but losing those games gives the committee an excuse to pick somebody else.

• Options

for the top Teams a loss is devastating, especially towards the end of the season. an early loss can be overcome and a Team can "prove" that it was a fluke and get it, not so 2-3 games before the season's end, and especially not so in the Championship Games.

that has always perplexed me. the pressure to be perfect is staggering.

RE: the Ohio State loss to MSU was one of Urban Meyer's biggest failures. with the Offense they had he allowed the Spartans to limit the field of play to 15 yards and never changed what he did.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

I said on another forum that Meyer has a case as the greatest college football coach of all-time. He & Saban are head & shoulders above everybody - yes, everybody. It's so much harder to win at the highest level year in and year out now. You can't put 200 guys on scholarship like you could in the 50s.

Saban has more national titles but most of his success has come at one school. When you include more than just their "most successful school", Meyer catches up - fast. Either Florida or Ohio is Meyer's 2nd-most success tenure at a school. Both blow away Saban's LSU tenure. After that, it's Utah for Meyer vs MSU for Saban. Not even the same galaxy. After that, it's BGSU for Meyer vs Toledo for Saban. Again, not even close.

As Garnettstyle mentioned, Meyer has had multiple national title-level teams that didn't even get a chance to play for the title. Unbeaten team at Ohio - no bowl game at all. Unbeaten Utah team, didn't get to play for a title. A 1-loss Florida team and two 1-loss Ohio teams also didn't play for the title.

I don't know that I'd put Meyer at the top with Saban but it's really, really close.

• Options

This is what the first committee rankings looked like in 2014. Says it all why OSU has been snubbed 3 out of 5 years.

1. Miss State SEC
    2. . Florida state ACC
    3. Auburn SEC
    4. Ole Miss SEC
    5. Oregon PAC 12
    6. Alabama SEC

• Options
    edited December 8, 2018 12:06AM

@Brick said:

2017 team also should've been in the playoffs over Alabama who lost by two TD's against their rival and beat nobody.
    Meyer had not one but TWO long winning streaks at OSU. The 2012 and 2013 teams were riding a 24 game win streak. 2014-2015 a 23 game win streak.

• Options
    edited December 8, 2018 5:22AM

Saban ran Meyer out of the SEC after Bama stomped him and Tebow. He knew he couldn't hang with Saban and the SEC so he faked heart problems and ran as fast as he could. He sat out a year and went to a cupcake conference, the BIG10. He knew he could win there because that league was weak.

Hey Garnett, wasn't OSU on probation for cheating in 2014? I remember something about that but wasn't sure about the years.

Some BIG10 fans like to twist stats and use "ifs" and "buts". I just state the facts Jack.

• Options