Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football 2018

Comments

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my, UAB whips Northern Illinois 37-13.

South - 2
    North - 0

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

UGA recruiting likes some OSU prospects....

• Options
    edited December 19, 2018 2:15PM

Yep, we got us one also.

Alabama officially flipped one of Ohio State’s top commitments early Wednesday morning in 4-star safety Jordan Battle.
    The Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas product had been wavering from the Buckeyes for the last few weeks with all the news surrounding Urban Meyer’s impending retirement, opening the door for the Tide to move in and complete the flip.
    “Of course when I went on my visit, it was a great visit,” Battle said recalling his official visit to Tuscaloosa. “Coach (Karl) Scott was probably the reason why … and Coach Saban. I spent most of my time with them. At Coach Saban’s house, he sat me down and the best thing he said to me was, it’s Alabama and you’re not going to have a spot ready for you, you’re going to have to earn it".

RTR

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2018 2:41PM

And Michigan flipped a 5 Star Alabama recruit who Alabama flipped from Michigan a month ago. I feel like maybe this kid has something wrong with him ; )

Signing day: Alabama lands another five-star player in RB Trey Sanders

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
    DEC 19, 2018 | 10:45 AM

Alabama added another five-star to what is already considered the best class in the country when running back Trey Sanders from IMG Academy in Florida picked the Crimson Tide over Georgia, Florida State, Texas and Florida.
    The Tide is expected to win another recruiting national title after relinquishing the crown to SEC rival Georgia last season.

Defensive end Zach Harrison, the top-ranked prospect in Ohio, gave Ryan Day his first big victory as the Buckeyes' incoming head coach

The Buckeyes' 2019 class is lagging behind its usual top-five standard, in part because it is likely to be a relatively small and in part because of the uncertainty this season surrounding outgoing head coach Urban Meyer.

The second year of college football's early recruit signing period started with a surprise Wednesday: Dax Hill, a five-star defensive back from Oklahoma, flipped from Alabama and signed with Michigan.

Hill had been verbally committed to Michigan but switched to Alabama a few weeks ago. Wolverines coach Jim Harbaugh lured him back when it mattered most.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

if i'm a 5-star recruit, luring me away from OSU would prove very difficult. that extra week off in the middle of the season is just too enticing.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2018 3:26PM

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    edited December 19, 2018 8:34PM
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2018 9:27PM

Here are the top 12 recruiting classes by 247Sports

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

For total recruits, OSU prolly wont land in the top ten because of the lack of 2018 seniors this year. And it looks like Meechigan might have to cut around 5 players for over-commits.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    And Michigan flipped a 5 Star Alabama recruit who Alabama flipped from Michigan a month ago. I feel like maybe this kid has something wrong with him ; )

Yep, that one hurt... :(

Harbaugh also stole Nico Collins from our backyard last year. He's a heck of a player.

• Options
    edited December 21, 2018 2:07PM

Florida Int'l upsets Toledo 35-32.... :*

South - 3
    North - 0

• Options

The SEC bowl advantage. This year marks the first time in LSU's program history that they are playing in a bowl game west of the Mississippi :|

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options
    edited December 22, 2018 7:45PM

@garnettstyle said:
    The SEC bowl advantage. This year marks the first time in LSU's program history that they are playing in a bowl game west of the Mississippi :|

Not so fast my friend, they have played in numerous Cotton Bowls and in 1971 they played in the Sun Bowl.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Dallas Texas and El Paso Texas west of the Mississippi? Maybe your map is upside down.

RTR..... B)

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about some more bowls north of the Mason Dixon line? Teams up north are able to play in the cold most of the season but all of a sudden we can’t play a bowl game in the cold.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2018 9:42PM

@orioles93 said:
    How about some more bowls north of the Mason Dixon line? Teams up north are able to play in the cold most of the season but all of a sudden we can’t play a bowl game in the cold.

Bowl games are corporate sponsored events. Tourism is a major factor. Bowl games are a award for alumni and fans who travel to destinations and make a holiday or vacation of it. Fans don’t typically want to sit outside in late December in the north given a choice. That’s a punishment not a reward. Trust me the players would much rather play in California or Florida then the Meadowlands etc. The best bowls are also already well established in are in warmer climates. If a sponsor wants to ante up and have a game in the north no one is stopping them. There just isn’t much of an incentive to do so. It there’s was then it would happen.

m

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

Not so fast my friend, they have played in numerous Cotton Bowls and in 1971 they played in the Sun Bowl.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Dallas Texas and El Paso Texas west of the Mississippi? Maybe your map is upside down.

RTR..... B)

Close enough B)

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@orioles93 said:

Bowl games are corporate sponsored events. Tourism is a major factor. Bowl games are a award for alumni and fans who travel to destinations and make a holiday or vacation of it. Fans don’t typically want to sit outside in late December in the north given a choice. That’s a punishment not a reward. Trust me the players would much rather play in California or Florida then the Meadowlands etc. The best bowls are also already well established in are in warmer climates. If a sponsor wants to ante up and have a game in the north no one is stopping them. There just isn’t much of an incentive to do so. It there’s was then it would happen.

m

Doesn't stop NFL fans from attending outside games in December and January. Didn't stop fans from attending a super bowl in new York recently. And fans at home LOVE watching games played in inclement weather. The system needs to be more fair. A Change would be good for the sport.

• Options

From what I understand, if the system goes to 8 playoff teams, the first round games will be played at home stadiums. Who wouldn't want to see Alabama or Clemson in Columbus or at the big house in late December? That would be sweet for the fans.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    From what I understand, if the system goes to 8 playoff teams, the first round games will be played at home stadiums. Who wouldn't want to see Alabama or Clemson in Columbus or at the big house in late December? That would be sweet for the fans.

Honestly seeing any southern school play a playoff game in the Big House, The Shoe or Happy Valley would be awesome. Can you imagine a whiteout playoff game at PSU?

What I Collect:

• Options
    edited December 22, 2018 11:04PM

@orioles93 said:

@garnettstyle said:

Honestly seeing any southern school play a playoff game in the Big House, The Shoe or Happy Valley would be awesome. Can you imagine a whiteout playoff game at PSU?

Yes, would love to see a white out in a playoff game at happy valley.

• Options
    edited December 23, 2018 5:28AM

Troy Alabama - 42
    Buffalo NY - 32

South - 4
    North - 0

• Options

Southern teams to play in the Snowy North in late November?
    That would be a mess, y'all know we can't drive in the snow.

RTR.... B)

• Options
    edited December 23, 2018 10:23AM

Re: 8 team playoff

Playoff games are a heck of a lot different then bowl games. However I can just hear the whining now when Alabama and Clemson have homes against a OSU or a PSU if a 8 team playoff were to happen. Oh it’s so unfair.

Bowl games are more designed for current students and alumni to attend more then for fan boys. One has to remember that alumni live all over the US. They go to school and move on with their lives elsewhere. Current students want to travel AWAY from campus.

Bowl games not all about winning and losing or advantage or disadvantage. That’s for fan boys.

mark

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

RTR..... B)

Facts can be frustrating sometimes.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

Playoff games are a heck of a lot different then bowl games. However I can just hear the whining now when Alabama and Clemson have homes against a OSU or a PSU if a 8 team playoff were to happen. Oh it’s so unfair.

Almost how it is now when northern teams are already playing these games in the south.

• Options
    edited December 23, 2018 7:01PM

Zeke: "I look damn good on that jumbotron!"

• Options

Uh-oh, shots fired.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

Almost how it is now when northern teams are already playing these games in the south.

You are so damn cute when you’re whining.

m

• Options
    edited December 25, 2018 3:26PM
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2018 4:27PM

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

South - 3
    North - 0

Minnesota destroys georgia tech 34-10

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@Bullsitter said:

South - 3
    North - 0

Minnesota destroys georgia tech 34-10

They sure did, and Tech was a 6 point favorite.

• Options

Wisconsin really gave it to Miami to.

What I Collect:

• Options
    edited December 28, 2018 1:37AM

@orioles93 said:

I’m away and haven’t seen a bowl game. I was curious to see what Wisconsin did today as prior to the bowl season they have only beaten one team with a winning record all year. I had no read on them

Good for them as it was a tough year

m

• Options

@orioles93 said:

Miami got obliterated 35-3 at Yankee Stadium. Wisconsin intercepted 4 passes.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Did Purdue not realize they had a game today? 56-7... at the half!? Yikes!

• Options
    edited December 28, 2018 4:35PM

Garnett, I just got to know. How in the hell did Purdue beat y'all by 29?

• Options
    edited December 28, 2018 5:09PM

@Bullsitter said:

All I know is the spin he puts on this will be dizzying. It will make the Ohio State Fair Tilt A Whirl seem tame.

m

• Options

OSU shouldn't have lost to Purdue. But I see Purdue this year as one of those teams that on the right day could beat anyone. They weren't a good football team but David Blough is a decent QB and they have Rondale Moore, who is a beast freshman wide receiver. They both had huge days and that really pushed them to the win. Purdue doesn't score 49 points without those 2. If you watch enough college football, then you'll realize that the best team does not always win. Sometimes a team just has a better day and in D1 college football, the athletes are good enough that they can pull upsets every now and then.

What I Collect:

• Options
    edited December 28, 2018 11:24PM

@Justacommeman said:

@Bullsitter said:

All I know is the spin he puts on this will be dizzying. It will make the Ohio State Fair Tilt A Whirl seem tame.

m

• Options

Using the GFSI, that's the Garnett Final Score Index, I have Bama beating OSU 109-0.

Purdue beat OSU by 29.
    Auburn beat Purdue by 49.
    Bama beat Auburn by 31.

RTR.... :*

• Options

Michigan vs Florida
    Clemson vs Notre Dame
    Bama vs Oklahoma

Man, what a day !!

Who ya got Garnett?

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

IhaveTTUN over Florida. Clemson destroying ND. Alabama successfully dodging the Buckeyes and squeaking by Oklahoma.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may be wrong on that first one. Oh well, I can't get them all right.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

South Carolina :D Nice egg.

SEC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter in the ND / Clemson game.
    I must say that I think OSU and Georgia would beat Clemson.
    Notre Dame has no business being there.

Still lots of time, lots could happen, just sayin'....

• Options
    edited December 29, 2018 5:03PM

@Bullsitter said:
    8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter in the ND / Clemson game.
    I must say that I think OSU and Georgia would beat Clemson.
    Notre Dame has no business being there.

I really believe most people who follow college football, knew that ND was NOT as good as Ohio State. But they had no choice but to put them in being undefeated. But as we've seen in the past(FSU 2014) just because your undefeated, doesn't mean you can beat the best teams. And this is basically ND's conference championship game considering they have an agreement to play so many games with the ACC. The committee left out a team that has a QB with the most td passes in football.