Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football 2018

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2018 5:21PM

@keets said:
    being a Conference Champion should be a pre-requisite for playing for the National Championship.(period)

I don't get that. I want the four BEST teams. If all four are from one conference then so beit. Just like NCAA basketball or all other levels of college football. The best two teams should end up in the championship game. Conference championships are just something for second tier schools to brag about.

• Options

Furthermore on the conference champions thing. I am a west coast guy but I do not want the Pac 12 champ anywhere near any games that matter in the post season. The conference is horrible this year and many years lately.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@larryallen73 said:

@keets said:
    being a Conference Champion should be a pre-requisite for playing for the National Championship.(period)

I don't get that. I want the four BEST teams. If all four are from one conference then so beit. Just like NCAA basketball or all other levels of college football. The best two teams should end up in the championship game. Conference championships are just something for second tier schools to brag about.

If you lose your conference championship game, then you cant be one of the 4 best teams. Losers should not be rewarded. Who are the 4 best teams according to who? No one will ever know unless all the best teams play against the best teams from all the other conferences. Of course that would be impossible.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

SECfans Say OSU Should Be 3 Seed if They Win Big Saturday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya1XwXYq3eI&feature=youtu.be

• Options

Some fun questions asked in ESPN article.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

heading into the last rankings before the Final Four are announced I think the most important rank will be who gets put at Number Five. in my reasoning I think that Team winning their Conference Playoff should then be the Number Three Team.

Alabama --- Number One if they win, out if they lose.
    Clemson --- Number Two if they win, Number One if Georgia wins, out if they lose(then the stupid rule is in effect).
    Notre Dame --- Number Four because of the "TCU Rule" a few years ago.
    Georgia --- Number Two if they win, out if they lose(if Clemson loses, oh boy!!).
    Ohio State and Oklahoma depending on who is Number Five tonight. then Number Three if they win their playoff.

I am assuming that Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State will win their Conference Playoffs, when crazy stuff starts to happen, the Stupid Rule is in effect and the "Committee" will wring their hands, gnash their teeth and hope they pick the right Teams. too many things could go wrong which is why NCAA Football is so fun.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Playoff system will never be fair, especially in football where you can play no more than once a week. That is what makes it fun. I thing a four team playoff is perfect. Sure UCF gets stiffed and OSU looks in from the outside (most likely.) but it beats the hell out of 16 or 64 or 68 teams crying about bubbles and poor seedings.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

If you lose your conference championship game, then you cant be one of the 4 best teams. Losers should not be rewarded. Who are the 4 best teams according to who? No one will ever know unless all the best teams play against the best teams from all the other conferences. Of course that would be impossible.

My gripe is that we've had teams that didn't even play in their conference championship make the playoff (Ohio in 2016/17, Alabama last year). Sorry, if you're 3rd or worse in your conference, you don't get to play in the CFP.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@keets said:

My gripe is that we've had teams that didn't even play in their conference championship make the playoff (Ohio in 2016/17, Alabama last year). Sorry, if you're 3rd or worse in your conference, you don't get to play in the CFP.

2016 OSU actually played a tough schedule DESTROYING Oklahoma on the road. 2017 Alabama beat nobody.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

Where does that put Notre Dame since they don't play that extra game?

• Options
    edited November 28, 2018 1:38PM

@garnettstyle said:

@Tabe said:

@keets said:

2016 OSU actually played a tough schedule DESTROYING Oklahoma on the road. 2017 Alabama beat nobody.

How did the 2016 Buckeyes fair against Clemson, does being DESTROYED 31-0 ring a bell?

• Options
    edited November 28, 2018 2:03PM

@garnettstyle said:
    ESPN wants two SEC teams in the college football playoffs. They want two SEC and two ACC and they could get it. (That’s right, ND is basically acc but do not have to play Clamson in acc cg)

Atta boy, Notre Dame in the ACC.... :D:D:D
    Man, it just doesn't get any better than this... :*

• Options

Where does that put Notre Dame since they don't play that extra game

in all honesty and since the "Committee" penalized TCU/Big 12 for not having a Conference Championship Game, it should mean that Notre Dame wouldn't be allowed to play for the Championship. the Committee had several years to remedy that and didn't, apparently telling Notre Dame and all the remaining Independent programs that they are an exception to the rule.

I don't think anyone can make a case for Notre Dame not being in this year, their record and the Teams they've beaten have caused that. as I said above, unless extraordinary circumstance take place, Notre Dame should be the Fourth Team. that seems a good compromise to me, but I would tell the "Irish" that it's time to set their pride aside and join a Conference. the same should go for every Independent Team.

I won't hold me breath because I don't really think the Committee has any balls(or real power). they are beholden to money.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    What happens if OU, Ohio State, and Georgia all lose Saturday ?

OSU is out even if they win. Committee can't get over the Purdue fiasco. Those folks up North are out as the committer can't get over the OSU fiasco. UCF is out because the committee can't get over the fact they are UCF. Either Georgia or Oklahoma will be in depending on who has the most respectable loss. Personally I would give Alabama a BYE and let Clemson and Notre Dame play for the right to face them. Problem is not many fans would show up to watch the BYE.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Tabe said:

@keets said:

How did the 2016 Buckeyes fair against Clemson, does being DESTROYED 31-0 ring a bell?

Oh, you mean the same Clemson team that beat Alabama :smile:

• Options

@Brick said:

@1970s said:
    What happens if OU, Ohio State, and Georgia all lose Saturday ?

OSU is out even if they win. Committee can't get over the Purdue fiasco. Those folks up North are out as the committer can't get over the OSU fiasco. UCF is out because the committee can't get over the fact they are UCF. Either Georgia or Oklahoma will be in depending on who has the most respectable loss. Personally I would give Alabama a BYE and let Clemson and Notre Dame play for the right to face them. Problem is not many fans would show up to watch the BYE.

The committee don't want OSU in because they would have the best shot to beat Alabama. Oklahoma...with their 111th ranked defense would get slaughtered.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

The committee don't want OSU in because they would have the best shot to beat Alabama

Because OSU did so well against Purdue and Maryland? If OSU doesn't get in it will because they got destroyed by Purdue. No need to invent a conspiracy theory when there is a much simpler and believable explanation right in front of your face.

This weekend I will be rooting for OSU to get in to the CFP. I don't think OK will stumble twice against UT but you never know what will happen.

Robb

• Options

Because OSU did so well against Purdue and Maryland

i have followed the Buckeyes my entire life and there is one certainty i have come to expect --- in virtually every Season they have a game where they are either beaten by an inferior Team like Purdue or have a really close game like Maryland. this year has been no exception, the only difference is that the Ohio State defense isn't dominant and can be really inconsistent. the offense is OK, though, and capable of scoring on anyone as the Michigan game should show.

would OSU beat Alabama?? i don't know, but Football and the NCAA can be unpredictable. a few year ago a backup QB finished the victory over Michigan and lit things up for three games while Ezekiel Elliot had three consecutive 200 yard games. i will only say this --- Ohio States offense could score points against Alabama, the question is whether their defense could stop the Crimson Tide.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

would OSU beat Alabama?? i don't know, but Football and the NCAA can be unpredictable. a few year ago a backup QB finished the victory over Michigan and lit things up for three games while Ezekiel Elliot had three consecutive 200 yard games. i will only say this --- Ohio States offense could score points against Alabama, the question is whether their defense could stop the Crimson Tide.

Yeah, the defense is what would concern me as an Ohio fan. Giving up 51 to Maryland and 39 to a not-great-offensively Michigan team is definitely not a good look for a defense. Neither of those teams is anywhere near as talented as Alabama is on offense.

• Options

I think OSU would give Alabama a better game than OK which is why I am hoping they get into the CFP. I just don't think a one loss OSU would deserve to get in over a one lose OK team. OSU doesn't really have a signature win (the Michigan game was at home and a rivalry game) that blows away what OK did. If Michigan had been undefeated it would have been enough to offset the Purdue loss since that would have been more impressive than simply giving a team their second loss. It will definitely be a very tough decision for the CFP committee if it comes down to OSU vs OK.

I do think it is funny how garnett railed about how UCF deserved a chance last year (simply because he wanted to take away from Alabama being the national champion) but has changed his tune now that UCF would also be battling OSU for the last spot in the CFP. I fully expect some rant from him about how unfair the CFP selection process is to UCF if OSU doesn't get in.

Georgia has the talent to beat Alabama this weekend if Alabama comes out flat or has some inopportune turnovers. We have seen plenty of "unbeatable" college teams lose late in the season or in a bowl game. For all the flaws with the CFP it is way better than what we used to have.

Robb

• Options

OSU doesn't really have a signature win (the Michigan game was at home and a rivalry game) that blows away what OK did

this statement could be used to describe exactly what "bias against Ohio State" is all about. did you watch the game?? do you understand that at the end of the game, when it was really already over, the Buckeyes weren't really interested in the final score or whether Michigan scored?? do you realize that OSU could easily have scored another TD but chose to "take a knee" at the 7-yard line and let the clock run out??

if you can't objectively view that game, if you don't realize that the Buckeyes took one of the best Teams out to the woodshed, well, maybe you should watch the game again.

back to the Final Four, if they have undefeated 12-0 records it would be hard to make an argument against:
    Alabama
    Clemson
    Notre Dame
    UCF

it is easy to say a Team doesn't deserve to be "invited" when the game never gets played. they said Ohio State didn't belong a few years ago, then they soundly beat Alabama and Oregon.

• Options

Bama will have to play their best to beat Georgia. Georgia has many skilled players, plus they have revenge on the mind.
    Our kicking game sucks and could get us beat. I expect a close high scoring game. I'd take a 38-34 victory...RTR.

Our offensive line, they average about 6'5, 315 lbs.

• Options

ex-Bulldog Nick Chubb has done very good with the Browns this year. it took awhile for him to get a chance, but once Jackson and Haley left he has gone crazy.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

GO DAWGS!

Definitely a big weekend for us and the boys need to bring their top game to beat Bama. If we show up like we did for that LSU drubbing......

• Options

I watched the entire game. Michigan was overrated and OSU exposed them, the only good team they beat prior to playing OSU was Penn State. IMO OSU's win is not significantly better than any of OK's wins. Was it an impressive win? Sure but I don't think Michigan was really a top 4 team as they lost to the only other top tier team they played. But the B10 love was given to the team voters thought was the best in the conference and Michigan climbed into the top 4.

Adding an additional touchdown or stopping one of Michigan's drives wouldn't change my opinion. Michigan was outclassed, and apparently couldn't cover a crossing route to save their lives.

No different than Alabama's win over LSU not being anything amazing. Turns out LSU was overrated as well. Difference between OSU and Alabama is Alabama actually won all of their games up to this point. The way to shut everyone up is to win when you are supposed to. OSU always seems to have a blemish on their record. The CFP committee has shown that you can lose to another top tier team and still get in the dance.

Robb

• Options

Lol Michigan is not overrated. Their only other blemish was a 7 point loss to a 12-0 team on the road. If the same 2 teams played at the big house, michigan would win by 3 td's.

• Options
    edited December 1, 2018 7:08AM

@garnettstyle said:
    Lol Michigan is not overrated. Their only other blemish was a 7 point loss to a 12-0 team on the road. If the same 2 teams played at the big house, michigan would win by 3 td's.

Are you saying that Notre Dame is overrated?

• Options

overrated

what is "overrated" is trying to assess all the Teams based on their opponents over a 12 game season and make things be in your favor with convoluted logic. Ohio State played some good Teams and some patsies, the same as Michigan, Alabama and most every Team in the top 25. based on that, whether you like or agree with it, Michigan had the top rated defense in the Nation. it's hard to argue against that and then argue for it in another year to justify your Team's status.

doing that makes us sound like politicians --- that can't be a good thing.

• Options

Not sure Michigan being overrated or not really matters now because the final 4 is basically set with OK beating Texas. I don't think it matters if Alabama loses as they are in either way. OSU is out unless they put up 70 against a marginal Northwestern team. Unfortunately I think it will be another year of "we were robbed" for OSU fans. I am not sure OK is any better than OSU as that argument is truly impossible to know but they have to somehow leapfrog OK and I don't see that happening.

• Options

Too bad UCF's QB is out because they could use him on defense today. Memphis came ready to play!

• Options

The big 12 refs were definitely protecting the team that had the only chance to make the playoffs. Very poor officiating.

• Options

Couple good games on TV. The "defending national champion" UCF has made a nice comeback.

If Alabama loses a close one, like overtime, I would say OSU is OUT.

Fun day!

• Options

What a reward for going 12-1 if OSU beats NW. A 3 loss team in a meaningless rose bowl. YUCK this playoff system sucks.

• Options

I think SEC bias caused UGA to try that horrible fake punt. They just wanted to make sure Alabama won. Lol.

• Options

If the same 2 teams played at the big house, michigan would win by 3 td's.

It must be nice to live in a world where you just make up hypothetical results. Using your logic that Michigan is 28 points better at home, I guess you are saying Michigan would have beaten OSU if they had played at the big house...

Sucks that either OSU or OK will not be in the playoffs if Clemson wins. Notre Dame really spoiled the party this year.

Robb

• Options

Haskins has proven in the big games that he is the best QB in the country. 499 yards passing tonight. 17 td passes in the last three games. No question OSU deserves the fourth spot spanking NW by 3 td's. ND only beat NW by 10.

• Options

ESPN Predictor poll has Ohio State with a 71% chance to get the 4th spot. Oklahoma is 26%.

• Options

I would like to see OSU get in. I think they have the talent and coaching to have a chance if they get to the dance. With Tua ailing Alabama is vulnerable.

It will be interesting to see if the committee can overlook the Purdue game. The loss last year to Iowa cost OSU a shot and the Purdue loss may do the same. I don't think there is really any good/fair way to decide between OSU and OK, they both have played well enough to deserve a shot. OK's loss was on a field goal with 9 seconds left in the game while OSU got thumped by 29 at Purdue. OK also did better against a common opponent (TCU) - OSU won by 12 at home, OK won by 25 on the road. Supposedly, the committee puts a lot of weight into common opponents when deciding between teams. Since Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame are locks I don't think the committee will really compare OSU or OK to how any of those three teams did against common opponents.

Unfortunately, it will all come down to window dressing. For all the complaints about the CFP, at least we are not having to decide between Alabama, Clemson & Notre Dame in a 2 team playoff.

Robb

• Options

1.) Alabama
    2.) Clemson
    3.) Notre Dame
    4.) Oklahoma

as I posted earlier, positioning last week of the Sooners and Buckeyes at 5-6 really settled everything unless one of the Teams played exceptionally good or bad. that didn't happen. absent the two Northwestern drives to start the second half I think OSU could have moved up. oh well, they'll get the Rose Bowl as a consolation prize.

5.) Ohio State
    6.) Georgia
    7.) Michigan
    8.) UCF

there were some good games yesterday, I think it was the most enjoyable stretch of NCAA Football I have seen in one day for quite some time. in the end, though, I think all that was settled is a need for something better. right now there seems to be the Teams above that have proven they are capable, they need to be allowed to play each other in some format that could settle all arguments.

• Options
    edited December 2, 2018 7:27AM

Man, what a game last night. Jalen Hurts became a legend, what a remarkable story.
    Hats off to the Georgia players, they left it all on the field. I'd like to thank Kirby for calling a fake punt on 4th and 11.

Some photos from the SECCG:

8 Josh Jacobs, the games MVP played with the flu, he's a man.

• Options

If the committee picks the 4 best teams it would be,
    1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. Georgia
    4. ND

If the go political,
    1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. ND
    4. Oklahoma

You say Georgia?
    I say yes. Do you really believe ND or Oklahoma would beat Georgia? The Bulldogs beat 'em both last year and would beat 'em this year. So we'll see what happens in about 6 hours

If you lose to an unranked team by 3 tds you shouldn't even be considered....Roll Tide Roll.

• Options

ESPN SOR(strength of record)
    1.Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. ND
    4. Ohio State
    5. Oklahoma
    6. Georgia

• Options

Dwayne Haskins leads the nation

4700 yds passing, 47 td's

• Options
    edited December 2, 2018 5:59AM

@garnettstyle said:
    ESPN SOR(strength of record)
    1.Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. ND
    4. Ohio State
    5. Oklahoma
    6. Georgia

Why don't you post the STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE... :p....Look at the TOP 10....9 of 10 from the SEC.

• Options

The only way I see OSU getting in is if they drop ND and I don't see that happening. I just don't see how OSU could jump OU in the standings as OSU did not dominate a marginal Northwestern team. I guess that's why they pay the committee the big bucks. We shall see....

• Options

No surprises to me except UGA at 5 and OSU at 6. Not that it matters after 4. Let the games begin!