Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football 2018

Comments

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

How many times do we need to see Clemson vs Alabama? Will be four years in a row. YAWN.
    I expect low ratings.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

Notre Dame has barely competed in their Bowl Alliance/BCS/Playoff bowl games in 25 years (0-8):

2018 Cotton Bowl: Clemson 30 - Notre Dame 3

2015 Fiesta Bowl: Ohio State 44 - Notre Dame 28

2012 BCS NC: Alabama 42 - Notre Dame 14

2006 Sugar Bowl: LSU 41 - Note Dame 14

2005 Fiesta Bowl: Ohio State 34 - Notre Dame 20

2000 Fiesta Bowl Oregon State 41 - Notre Dame 9

1995 Orange Bowl: Florida State 31 - Notre Dame 26

1994 Fiesta Bowl: Colorado 41- Notre Dame 24

• Options
    edited December 29, 2018 6:45PM

• Options
    edited December 29, 2018 6:52PM

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dayum I’m in Mexico on vacation. Just saw the Michigan score. El Stinko

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:
    How many times do we need to see Clemson vs Alabama? Will be four years in a row. YAWN.
    I expect low ratings.

If you want to change that all you have to do is beat us... :D ...RTR

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure Garnett said Michigan was the 2nd best team in the B10, they did no look very impressive against Florida. As I said all season, Michigan was overrated and didn't deserve their lofty ranking nor their defensive ranking. Playing in a weak B10 this year definitely glossed over all of Michigan's faults. The two decent teams they played both crushed them (OSU, Florida). Given how Michigan crushed the rest of the B10, I think this is all the evidence anyone would need to realize this was a down year for the B10.

Still sad that OSU is ducking the real competition in the SEC. Would have been fun to see if they could have competed with a legitimate team. Instead they will destroy Washington who has no business playing them.

Looking at OSU's schedule, it turns out they didn't play anyone good either. At least Penn State is playing an overrated team so Garnett will have at least one B10 over SEC bowl win to crow about.

As for Notre Dame it was clear they did not belong. They should be required to join a conference if they want to participate in the CFPs.

Robb

• Options

• Options

@1970s said:

@fergie23 said:
    I'm pretty sure Garnett said Michigan was the 2nd best team in the B10, they did no look very impressive against Florida. As I said all season, Michigan was overrated and didn't deserve their lofty ranking nor their defensive ranking. Playing in a weak B10 this year definitely glossed over all of Michigan's faults. The two decent teams they played both crushed them (OSU, Florida). Given how Michigan crushed the rest of the B10, I think this is all the evidence anyone would need to realize this was a down year for the B10.

Robb

Them fightin words once Garnettstyle reads this.

Robb usually doesn't know what he's talking about. I guess he didn't hear that Michigan was without FOUR of their best players. And that WAS the first time in FIVE tries that the Gators beat the Wolverines. Cant win them all.
    TWO Southern ACC teams had to travel North to play TWO BIG TEN teams and the TWO southern teams scored a total of ONE touchdown combined :D

• Options

• Options

BIG 12.....0 PLAYOFF WINS

WAKE UP COMMITTEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU SUCK

• Options

• Options

• Options
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2018 8:30AM

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

I am a ND alum and fan. Anytime I discussed ND with other college football fans I said that they easily could have had 5 losses. Michigan they jumped out early with turnovers and hung on. Ball State, don't even mention. Pitt, Northwestern, and then USC were nail biters, but ND pulled out victories. They were bound to come up snake eyes eventually. They did Saturday.

2019 is not a tough schedule for ND. Exception is a trip to Athens GA on Sep 21. Maybe Michigan.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2018 9:40AM

Nope, you forgot Georgia and Oklahoma and Clemson....we play 15 games, did you forget?

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Georgia would be a tough game for the Buckeyes but I can't see them winning. OSU offense would be too much for them. If OSU was in the playoffs they would have a surprisingly easy time with Alabama. Clemson would be a tough one but like Georgia they wouldn't hang on to the end. Happy New Year everyone.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@s4ny said:
    I am a ND alum and fan. Anytime I discussed ND with other college football fans I said that they easily could have had 5 losses. Michigan they jumped out early with turnovers and hung on. Ball State, don't even mention. Pitt, Northwestern, and then USC were nail biters, but ND pulled out victories. They were bound to come up snake eyes eventually. They did Saturday.

2019 is not a tough schedule for ND. Exception is a trip to Athens GA on Sep 21. Maybe Michigan.

I hate Michigan, but they will destroy ND at the big house next year.

• Options

@1970s said:

@s4ny said:

Georgia vs Clemson would have been a great game.
    Georgia would have beat Ohio State by 7.

Georgia lost to a third string Buckeyes QB by 20. Haskins would lit em up. Its a shame we never got to see what the best QB in BIG 10 history would've done against the Alabama defense.

• Options

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

I am glad Clemson and Alabama made the finals because most rational people know they are the two best teams. You could argue about 3-10 but most people know who the best two teams are and they will play for the championship.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2018 9:57PM

Ohio State would've beat Alabama again. Georgia almost did and should had. Only those who watch nothing but ESPN think otherwise. Dont know until you play the games. One bad game does not define a team. Fools

• Options

Good win by Northwestern. They outscored Utah 28-0 in the 2nd half.

Rough day for the ACC.

• Options

Good win by Oregon. They only scored 7 points and still beat Michigan State.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2019 2:41AM

@garnettstyle said:
    Ohio State would've beat Alabama again. Georgia almost did and should had. Only those who watch nothing but ESPN think otherwise. Dont know until you play the games. One bad game does not define a team. Fools

What some OSU fans do best, at least you're #1 in crying.

Hey Garnett, are they crying because they're sad Purdue beat them or are those tears of happiness after OSU beat Maryland 52-51. I hope it's tears of happiness....but I doubt it.

• Options

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

Garnett rolling with the excuses, pretty much all you do when it comes to the B10 this year.

Only OSU fans think that they would have beaten Alabama. When folks bring up your 31-0 loss to Clemson you say things like that was ancient history then follow it with a chaser about how OSU has Alabama's number - something that happened even further in the past. OSU has shown they can't compete with the elite teams, 0-3 the last 4 years against CFP teams.

Robb

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

For many years I was excited for the Bowl games, now I have no interest unless it is a BCS game. Too many mediocre teams, best players holding out due to potential injury, and they mean nothing. Need to have a larger playoff system (either 8/12/16 teams), would create a little more interest

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

My take on this as an OSU fan.
    1. Alabama and Clemson were by far the best two football teams this year... nobody else even close.
    2. Alabama has the #1 recruiting class every year... so anything less than a national championship is failure.
    3. If Ohio State is going to get their ass kicked by a .500 team every year... they don’t deserve to be in the discussion as the best.
    4. My prediction for the game. Clemson 35 Alabama 31.

• Options

@1970s said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:
    For many years I was excited for the Bowl games, now I have no interest unless it is a BCS game. Too many mediocre teams, best players holding out due to potential injury, and they mean nothing. Need to have a larger playoff system (either 8/12/16 teams), would create a little more interest

Agree about too many bowl games. Disagree about a larger playoff system. That's what
    makes the regular season so exciting.

If you want to make it to the big dance then................
    1. Schedule and beat tougher opponents
    2. Don't sign a letter of intent to ohio state.

Tough to narrow down to four teams with 5 major conferences and lots of one loss teams. Agree that teams should not schedule the cupcakes, like they currently do. How does a team with Georgia’s schedule and talent not have a chance? Granted there will always be teams “on the bubble”, have that issue in a 64 team NCAA basketball tourney. The FCS has a final 16, but I think that is too many. I still feel 8 is the best.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2019 1:39PM

@dennis1219 said:
    My take on this as an OSU fan.
    1. Alabama and Clemson were by far the best two football teams this year... nobody else even close.
    2. Alabama has the #1 recruiting class every year... so anything less than a national championship is failure.
    3. If Ohio State is going to get their ass kicked by a .500 team every year... they don’t deserve to be in the discussion as the best.
    4. My prediction for the game. Clemson 35 Alabama 31.

That’s kind of how I see it. Good post.

When OSU loses to a mediocre 6-7 team by 29 points you forfeit all rights to whine and cry and decree the system is rigged. (although that doesn’t seem to stop some fanboys from doing so). On top of that when that same mediocre team in Purdue gets destroyed by a bottom third SEC team in Auburn it kind makes the whole crying about not being included in the playoffs even more hollow. Moral of the story. Don’t lose by 29 points to middling team.

Dennis it could be worse college football wise. You could be a Michigan Alum like me and be relagated to being a basketball power only

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2019 2:57PM

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@1970s said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

Agree about too many bowl games. Disagree about a larger playoff system. That's what

Tough to narrow down to four teams with 5 major conferences and lots of one loss teams. Agree that teams should not schedule the cupcakes, like they currently do. How does a team with Georgia’s schedule and talent not have a chance? Granted there will always be teams “on the bubble”, have that issue in a 64 team NCAA basketball tourney. The FCS has a final 16, but I think that is too many. I still feel 8 is the best.

I think 8 is too many. If you took 8 this year Michigan and UCF would have made
    It. No bueno. Too much difference between 7/8 and 1/2.

Maybe you reward the number 1 and 2 teams with a first round bye and let #3 play number #6 and #4 play #5. Get to a final four that way.

m

• Options

Unranked IOWA upsets #18 Mississippi State.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@1970s said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

Maybe you reward the number 1 and 2 teams with a first round bye and let #3 play number #6 and #4 play #5. Get to a final four that way.

I agree that would have worked out better this year (6 teams, OSU & Georgia), and that Central Florida and Michigan were not deserving this year. Every year is different, 6 would have been ideal,this year. Next year, who knows. Either way, the 2 best teams are playing for the Championship this year.

• Options

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@1970s said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

. Next year, who knows. Either way, the 2 best teams are playing for the Championship this year.

No way. Haskins would've lit up that Clemson secondary.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@1970s said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

. Next year, who knows. Either way, the 2 best teams are playing for the Championship this year.

No way. Haskins would've lit up that Clemson secondary.

Haskins would be looking up from his back side all game and Clemson would score 50+ on that OSU D

See isn’t this fun we can both say whatever we want because it’s just a bunch of talk and there are no report cards on ifs and buts.

mark

• Options

Another winning bowl record for the BIG TEN. I'll take it considering they were the underdogs in most of the bowls.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2019 7:02PM

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@1970s said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

I agree that would have worked out better this year (6 teams, OSU & Georgia), and that Central Florida and Michigan were not deserving this year. Every year is different, 6 would have been ideal,this year. Next year, who knows. Either way, the 2 best teams are playing for the Championship this year.

Some years maybe 8 would be best. Some years 6. Other years 4. This year they would have just been better off with the old BCS system and just had 2 and get it over with. Alabama and Clemson were clearly the best two teams in the country by a wide margin.

I know #5 Georgia has been griping that with ND performance that they would have been the better choice in the playoffs but they had their chance. They should just be concerned with with beating Texas.

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@1970s said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

. Alabama and Clemson were clearly the best two teams in the country by a wide margin.

LOL Georgia should've beat Bama, and Clemson played a shit schedule.

• Options

Upset alert texas 17 Georgia 0 2nd quarter