Home U.S. Coin Forum

Explain your handle

Comments

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bust collector from Oklahoma...my wife thinks it refers to coinsimage

Jim
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Time for a bump.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Well, Magicbilly is the wheel-chair-bound boy who takes over the world with a cell phone and the BBC computer satellite in the album RADIO K.A.O.S. by Roger Waters.

Billy
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its my Ebay name, It comes from the fact that I love to fish, kayak, and surf.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • My handle, "Sn3nut", has nothing to do with coins. The other black hole I continually pour money into is model railroading. I model in "S" scale, 3-foot narrow gauge (Sn3), and everyone knows that I am a "nut"! I figured that one nickname is about all I could deal with at a time.
    Bob, the "Sn3nut"
    My 1949 Mint Set
  • drdjadrdja Posts: 82 ✭✭
    My handle is my initials with dr in front. I'm not a "real doctor" - just a Ph.D in physical organic chemistry. Someday I hope to be a coin doctor image

• Hi Doc. Welcome to the forum. With a PhD. in organic chemistry, I am sure that you would make a fine Coin Doctor.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Harry Carrey used to try to say ball player's names backwards. My brother always tried to copy him and I became "Mot". Then signing up for this or that, "Mot" was already taken, so I went to "Tmot". Then cancelled AOL account and later resigned up years later. Had to come up with a new name "Tmot99" was born.
  • my handle was a nick a few friends of mine call me, im a big guy and after a few beers at the pub im just called "BULL"! My real name is just sam. (check out stant093) its my other nic, i buy and sell comp parts all over the internet and figured i could use a new different nick. image
    I'd rather be driving a titleist

• PriestPriest Posts: 270 ✭✭
    Years ago,1965 I was at a Catholic Church dance. Wearing a black Ban Lon ('65) and a dark suit a friend told a young girl that I was a priest in the parish. So "The Priest" stuck. Soon that became "Da Priest" A New Jersey thing, the Da. My icon that guy that looks like Mike Tyson was given to me when I joined the forum, it's just fine with me, as a matter of fact I like the icon.
    D.A. Priest
  • cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cmanbb............collect money and never be brokeimage
  • I live in the desert and I'm a packrat. I collect all sorts of things.
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I teach English literature and composition. Years ago an outstanding student wrote a sidesplittingly funny piece of short fiction with an evil, devious baby named Mirabela Sunshine as the main character. I adopted it as my internet nom de plume.
    mirabela
  • My name plus my favorite Lima motor
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Did I ever post in this thread? I sure as heck don't remember... anyways:

It's part of a song I like really well from an anime called Noir. the song is called "Salva Nos" by Yuki Kajiura. The song was modified a bit for a few episodes to be vocals only, and that's where I got it from. You can hear the vocal-version (short clip of it anyways, since the whole version of it was never on any of the OST's, just the standard version).

File format is ogg vorbis (you'll have to remove the ".jpg" extension to leave it with ".ogg", since I can't upload an ogg file) (Winamp 2.81 and up will play vorbis straight out of the box).
    Compressed to 48.3 KB, so the quality isn't top notch, but much better than what MP3 would give you.

Right click this, and save target as. Remove the ".jpg" before you click "save" and what-not.
  • when I first joined the forum, I was searching for and collecting 3 cent peices. I since have departed from that persuit but still enjoy them.

imageimage
  • When I was in my 20's i traveled/worked my way across the US. While in Florida there were 2 guys named Tom on our crew so we both got nicknames. They called me "Oak" since I was from Oklahoma and they called him "Tom Thumb up your as$"

Man that was a fun crew.

I can quit collecting anytime I want to.....I just don't want to!
  • I am a baby sitter and the kids can never say my real name so they call me Dot. most places you have to have more then 3 letters in your name so I am littledot in most places. image
    Just cause someone pee'd in your Cheerios don't pee in mine.

• I used to be a fan of the TV show Sliders, and Sliderider was the name I used in the Sci-Fi channel forums after they bought the rights to the show.

What if you found a portal to a parallel universe?

What if you could slide into a thousand different worlds
    where it's the same year and you're the same person,
    but everything else is different?

And what if you couldn't find your way home?

imageimage
  • bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭
    rhymes with foomanchu

and

bu=brilliant uncirculated

man=man

chu=choice uncirculated
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    Tempus fugit.
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DNA analyst.
  • Well I like BUFFALO nickels, I am about 20% Cherokee but you would never know it because I look like a WHITE hairy bratwurst. LOL Thus I guess it is a self given Indian name.
  • DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    D, My name is Daniel, when I was in first grade, I had one of those gargantuan lunch boxes and I wrote DH BOOM!!! on it. I was called DHBOOM for some time, gradually it was reduced to DH and soon enough to D. People I've never met in my life who go to the school I used to and have met my friends all recognize me and still call me D or DH.

Plus, I'm terribly unoriginal so I had to use someone elses nickname made for me.

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • 21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    I like walking liberty Halves...........Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • I am a lifelong supporter of the Florida Gators. The Gators won their first National Championship in 1996 by defeating their archrival Florida State in the Sugar Bowl by the score of 52-20. Thus my name:

Gator - Florida Gators
    5220 - Final score of their first National Championship
    Gator5220
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Click the link below to my eBay "me" page, for the explanation.

(Dangit, I hate it when I respond to an old thread, only to see that I already posted a year or more before...)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ajiaajia Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭
    ajia.....the family!

a....Augie, that's me! image
    j....Jackie, my wife. image
    i....Ian, my drumming, waterpolo playing son. image
    a....Amanda, she plays sax, violin & ukulele! Also likes to sing! image
  • dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, I know this is a little off topic, so don't shoot me. image But, I'm curious about the stories behind a lot of the "handles" people use here on the forum. If your handle isn't your name or your company, then how did you come up with it?

In my case, "Petescorner" is the name I use on eBay so it made sense to use the same one here. I have a 3 year old son named Peter, and I figured that most of the coin selling and subsequent coin buying that I do on eBay will some day get passed on to him anyway. Hence, Pete's corner. Anybody else want to share?

-Dan <--not Pete image >>

My handle is the name of my business and also that on eBay and NGC forum.
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • Just to be said again:

From the anime Noir:
    Salva Nos; Save Us

Lyricist: Kajiura Yuki
    Composer: Kajiura Yuki
    Arranger: Kajiura Yuki
    Vocalist: Kaida Yuriko
    =================
    Dominus Deus
    exaudi nos et misrere
    exaudi, Dominus

Dona nobis pacem
    et salva nos a hostibus
    Salva nos, Deus

Dominus exaudi nos
    Dominus misrere
    Dona nobis pacem
    Sanctus, Gloria

dona nobis pacem
    e dona eis requiem
    inter ovas locum
    voca me cum benedictis
    pie jesu domine, dona eis requiem
    dominus deus, Sanctus, Gloria

Get the MP3 here. 6.06 MB, --alt-preset standard LAME encode. Hosted on my PC, so it has a max of about 25 kBps upload speed, plus I have no idea how long MiniHTTP will last. If the download stops working, then MiniHTTP has crashed while I'm away at work.
  • well a few people have thought I must be a maryland terps fan.....but my handle is a cross between my name (Will) and my favorite grateful dead Song (Terrapin Station)
  • ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Nick name from la padres...always called me dbird...but over the years it has transformed into dd-bird. I guess its better than my other sibling's names...Mooguy and Eniebugs
  • MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    My last name is Miller so of course I'd like to say it's Millertime!!
  • JdurgJdurg Posts: 997
    Very easy. First initial, middle initial, first three letters of the last name. I use this handle EVERYWHERE since I hate having to remember different things. image
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • <-- I like Novas and Colonial Coins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image Well, DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • My Grandfather had a 1951 plymouth, and so did I.
    David
  • RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also had a 51 Plymouth in High School. I now have a '72 Plymouth Duster for car showing and drag racing with my sons on occassion. Some may know me as UsterDay72 in the RCC Newsgroup.
    I am also a long time flyer (51 years!) of English performing pigeons called Birmingham Rollers. They fall out of the sky 10 to 40 feet like a backwards spinning ball and when you really have them right, you can get a whole kit or flock to roll together like a bunch of spinning yo yo's. So I'm a Rollerman on this forum...but I really like coins too, and fishing and bowling and NASCAR and.......well you get the idea.
    I'm a retired professional hobbiest to hear my wife tell it. I'm never bored!
    All the best, Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    since my interests in coins do not generally include the more modern presidential series, my "pursuit" is for miss "liberty"

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • I felt like a big target for shady coin dealers so that's the one I took.

Actually, I initially signed up as Sitting Duck for the same reason, but I screwed up the form. Forgot a dot in my e-mail address, so was not able to receive the confirmation e-mail. I tried to re-do it but the name was already locked pending confirmation so I had to pick something else. Doing stupid things like that keeps me feeling like a newbie.
  • gee, uh, i guess mines pretty transparent.

blue skies!

david
    Modern bashing is sooooooo old.
    -Bochiman

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    -unknown
  • If I'm not at a coin show, on-line shopping for coins, or reading something about coins,
    then I'll be in a poker game. As you can see from my nickname I'm not a very good poker
    player ("shortstacked" on chips), so if you're in town and want to play........
  • <---- MotherOfSamantha
    SMS: Dear, Where the coin that just came in the mail.
    MoS: you mean the one that samantha just ran off with.
    SMS: O SHIT!
    And yes this did happen it happen to be a coin Art sent us. She tried throwing it down the toilet. image
  • I have a pool table,my nickname was already taken!image
  • Boyhowdy was a term of greeting among the hippie set in the late 60's-early 70's.
    Immortalized forever in the works of R. Crumb.
    Steve
    Collecting XF+ toned Barber dimes
  • WoW! After all this time I just now found this thread image

SMS

What else could it stand for?
    Monthly giveaways for members AND guests!! Current giveaways include foreign mint sets!!!!
    www.Numismatic-Playground.com
  • xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    This is a cool thread. I need to put aside some time to go back and read them all! From what I've read so far, many handles come from interests outside of coin collecting. Mine fits that category.

About mine: I'm an "old school" video gamer that migrated from the arcades to the PC to the Xbox (over the past 20 or more years). When I got to beta test for Xbox Live, I chose the online name, a.k.a gamertag, Xbob because my real name is Bob and I figured it would be easy for others to remember both names. I still play Xbox live quite a bit. I still play PC Games too and even classic arcade games (as you can see here: My home made arcade cabinet). Hence the affection for quarters and arcade token collecting.

So, I decided to use the online handle for more than just games. It actually ties in with some of my other interests too, as does my groovy new icon.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    my handle name, ellewood, is a nickname that my family made up for me when I used to get out my coin collection at a much younger age. For some reason, coin collectors have always been tagged with that "geek" personality.....and I think that they all thought the name "Ellewood" is sort of a country-bumpkin-type-name....pretty funny. No offense to any of those on the boards here who's real name is Ellewood!!!!

Toby
  • I am a firefighter/paramedic.
  • BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    I'm 100% Greek with a size 40 waist image
    Pass the gyros and baklava.
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection

• Obvious. I collect PFUC 70 State Quarters along with proof gold eagles. I also collect many other coins but I like the look of proof coins. I used the dime icon just to see if anyone would notice. I use the same name on ebay. Collecting modern crap is fun.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file