Home U.S. Coin Forum

2017 Palladium Eagle (PDE) in hand and unboxing

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 10, 2017 7:50AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just back from the PO Box.
This. Coin. Is. Gorgeous.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!!

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for taking the time to post. This is the most beautiful palladium coin I have yet to see and I have a few. And it rates really well in luster sitting by the silvers.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing!

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice!

• KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for this! I always like unboxings. The design is also pretty.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Next stop ....BST forum . LOL

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! I need one now.

• KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2017 12:15PM

The depth of that relief is impressive, and the reverse design is great. I would say, however, that at this larger size, Liberty looks fairly grumpy on the obverse.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2017 12:55PM

Have the silver fakes appeared yet?

RE: "Liberty looks fairly grumpy on the obverse."

That is because Weinman's portrait was refined for use on a dime. Simply enlarging it, damages the proportions and distorts the image. To do it right, the Mint should have had Liberty revised for a larger coin. However, the self-interest, packed-with-greed legislation was specific about the obverse and reverse designs.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the obverse looks amazing enlarged. Much better than the gold dime recreation. The detail in the headdress is amazing. Especially for an old guy like me :)

As for it looking out of scale: I disagree. It looks classic, like the Peace dollar or French/Italian pieces of the same era.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    edited October 10, 2017 2:55PM

Here is a pic hope this work I am at work in the field.

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like mine.

Maybe this works just got it

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ooooh Gluggo you got three!!! Is there one prettier than the others? The PCGS looks really sharp but it may just be the lighting. And for the original unpacking Weiss, WOW what a beauty of a coin!!! I see some Palladiums have a proof-like appearance and are selling for around 10 grand, I have a feeling that this series is going to give us a little variety.

Onastone. I took it in my truck with the sun to my back. Bad lighting but they are all beautiful!!

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice in hand.

I love that even though the pricing continues to accelerate at MCM and APMEX, folks still want these beauties.
    It seems a lot of people may want one for their collections. Much like the 2009 UHR.

...Regardless, it seems, of whether they continue a "series"...

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

Whoa, Bullsitter, you photos really highlight the relief and I like the holder for simplicity.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. I think the enlargement of Liberty's visage works really well on this piece.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the post.

I agree with Miles, these are really beautiful coins. They look far nicer in hand than I was expecting - and I was expecting them to look nice. Cudos to The Mint on these!!

Mine arrived today. While it looks great at first glance, w/a loupe I noticed so rim dings. Once I noticed them with a loupe I can now see them w/unaided eye.

It seems like of the other 70s that I've seen have some rim dings. Here are pic of mine. Taken w/my phone so sorry that they're certainly not as nice as the OPs pics.

How do other folks' 70s look w/respect to the rims?

Thanks,

R

Land of the Free because of the Brave!

@Onastone said:
    Ooooh Gluggo you got three!!! Is there one prettier than the others? The PCGS looks really sharp but it may just be the lighting. And for the original unpacking Weiss, WOW what a beauty of a coin!!! I see some Palladiums have a proof-like appearance and are selling for around 10 grand, I have a feeling that this series is going to give us a little variety.

"Musics-and-beyond" have the only PLs currently offered and they have three of them. Odd.

edited October 10, 2017 5:53PM

Are you going to contact your seller and see if they have a replacement? I think I would. I am going to take good look at mine when I get home. I just checked NO RING DINGS on the ones I got. I feel for you on that one.

I am. It's APMEX. It looks like they're out. UGH! I'll definitely call tomorrow. Surprised in a PCGS 70. Looking at Feebay for pics for comparison but not many actual pics.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2017 6:16PM

@Raufus said:
    Thanks for the post.

I agree with Miles, these are really beautiful coins. They look far nicer in hand than I was expecting - and I was expecting them to look nice. Cudos to The Mint on these!!

Mine arrived today. While it looks great at first glance, w/a loupe I noticed so rim dings. Once I noticed them with a loupe I can now see them w/unaided eye.

It seems like of the other 70s that I've seen have some rim dings. Here are pic of mine. Taken w/my phone so sorry that they're certainly not as nice as the OPs pics.

Thanks,

After seeing yours I checked mine and my obverse rim, under the date has bad scratches on it. I'll be sending it back. It's starting to get old buying and paying for a 70 and it's not close.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody buy a 70PL one yet?

The more you VAM..

@Bullsitter said:

@Raufus said:
    Thanks for the post.

Thanks,

After seeing yours I checked mine and my obverse rim, under the date has bad scratches on it. I'll post a pic tomorrow showing it. I'll be sending it back. It's starting to get old buying and paying for a 70 and it's not close.

I;m wondering whether most of them are like this. From the actual pics that I see it seems like these kinds of digs are on other 70s as well. Not what I expect from PCGS 70s. Looking forward to the pics. Thanks!

@Bullsitter said:

@Raufus said:
    Thanks for the post.

Thanks,

After seeing yours I checked mine and my obverse rim, under the date has bad scratches on it. I'll be sending it back. It's starting to get old buying and paying for a 70 and it's not close.

Don't send it back yet. I have one coming, and I like your label better. If you would be willing to trade it for a normal first strike, we might be able to work out a deal

One can even see them from a distance at 12:30....

What's the deal with these 70s and rim dings? Usually I'd not even submit a coin to our hose w/such dings knowing that they'd not make 70.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

On mine, the "rim issues" appear to be the same type of "finning" we saw on the gold Merc & SLC. The relief is so high that it has caused metal flow out at the very top edge of the rim, creating a thin 3-D blade in some areas.

If I'm right, then PCGS isn't concerned with the finning and isn't knocking the coins for it. If I'm right, and it is finning, I don't think it should detract from the technical grade, either.

In this image below, you can see what appears to be finning, but it seems to be folded over so it's almost flat again.

This is a huge image, you should be able to click on it to increase the size...

--Severian the Lame
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

How could PCGS grade these 70 with rim dings? Are they grading too much, too fast? What about NGC? Anyone see any grading errors with them yet? Looking past the rim, the fields are beautiful, the design detail superb
    !

edited October 10, 2017 7:01PM

Thanks for the great info Weiss!! Very interesting. I appreciate your sharing your knowledge.

I've tried to take a better photo of mine. I can't tell whether this is finning or not. Can you get an idea from this pic?

This is the only area where I see any distraction at all on the rim of my coin.

Thanks very much!!

R

edited October 10, 2017 7:27PM

23 sold in an hour - Wow! Certainly the market thinks it's a decent price! Spot is $907.

Well, someone just bought 10! yowzers.

Boom, sold out! Picked an extra up just in case.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.

Here is a pic of the NGC that came intoday. Don't see any rim dings.

edited October 10, 2017 8:39PM

The other side.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy crap. And correct me if I'm wrong but the only people profiting off of PL's will be the AP's correct? That doesn't seem fair at all. And people complain about an offering where everyone has a chance, if only for a minute or two. This is worse!

The more you VAM..
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need fractionals! :#

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

edited October 11, 2017 6:42AM

Those NGCs look great. I'll call APMEX today about mine. Ugh!!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A beautiful coin... and I will say it here again. The reverse is really fantastic, and I would love to see the ASE redesigned with this reverse - while maintaining the same obverse. That would be a very impressive coin. Cheers, RickO

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

yike!
    The price just went up $100 to $1192 on these out of stock items.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old hat. New blood.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file