Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2017 Palladium Eagle (PDE) in hand and unboxing

Comments

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017 7:23AM

APMEX basically told me tough luck. I could get a refund, which of course would not buy another coin. Or, I could pay $350+ more for a Black Label one - despite that the difference was only $100 when I ordered this one. They will make no accommodation at all for sending me a dinged up coin. If they said there are no more Flag labels and I could pay $100 more for a Black label I'd understand. Even if they got new inventory of the same label they would not hold one to exchange. I'd have to buy at the new price and get a refund for the old price. Incredible.

We all know how tough that it is to get a 70 on moderns. How this one did is beyond belief.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes! All pricing is rising particularly in the graded versions.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017 4:29PM

@Raufus said:

We all know how tough that it is to get a 70 on moderns. How this one did is beyond belief.

not beyond mine. it happens a lot. imagine you have to come in and grade 100 silver eagles that just came in...after a short while of looking at these things, you're grading 70 unless something happens to jump out at you in less than a second of looking at it.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone think that the APMEX MS 70s were a bad deal at their initial offer price

• Options

@jessewvu said:
    Does anyone think that the APMEX MS 70s were a bad deal at their initial offer price

Huh? I believe they we going for around $1100.
    How is that "bad"?

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017 12:41PM

I am very disappointed that APMEX would treat the BUYER (Raufus) like poop and tell him he can just keep his dinged coin or else. I know I would be upset not sure how I would deal with this. I still have 1 more Palladium coin coming I just pray it's in pristine condition. Here is the receipt on what I paid. This was the Credit Card price.

• Options

Kinda fun and interesting to see this issue incrementally and consistently rise in price, from the disributors.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

rims appear to be exempt from the grading process.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    edited October 11, 2017 3:13PM

@steveben said:

@Raufus said:

not beyond mine. it happens a lot. imagine you have to come in and grade 100 silver eagles that just came in...after a short while of looking at these things, you're going grading 70 unless something happens to jump out at you in less than a second of looking at it.

I can understand that to be sure - however this ding should jump out in less than a second. That said, given the high grading fees one would hope that each coin is given the attention which the submitter is paying for. I know that the fees for the big companies are far lower than for the indivuduals but the standards should be the same.

For such repetitive work, hopefully the graders are given break time or allowed to tackle big orders of the same moderns in small batches such that their focus is sharp. Mine certainly slipped through, APMEX could care less and I'm left w/no good option to get another one unless I pay far more.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2017 3:21PM

@Gluggo said:
    I am very disappointed that APMEX would treat the BUYER (Raufus) like poop and tell him he can just keep his dinged coin or else. I know I would be upset not sure how I would deal with this. I still have 1 more Palladium coin coming I just pray it's in pristine condition. Here is the receipt on what I paid. This was the Credit Card price.

Nice!!! I wasn't able to order until the first evening of sales. I paid a bit more.

How does your coin look?

Thanks for the support guys!!

What was especially surprising is that I'm a long time APMEX customer. I've spent a lot of money with them over many years. I'd hope that they would treat any customer well and try to make their purchase (an expensive one in this case) right. I'd especially expect for them to take care of a long time customer. The rep that I spoke with pulled up my purchase history and was well aware of how long I'd been a customer. Really dissapointing - and surprising.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Raufus said:
    APMEX basically told me tough luck. I could get a refund, which of course would not buy another coin. Or, I could pay $350+ more for a Black Label one - despite that the difference was only $100 when I ordered this one. They will make no accommodation at all for sending me a dinged up coin. If they said there are no more Flag labels and I could pay $100 more for a Black label I'd understand. Even if they got new inventory of the same label they would not hold one to exchange. I'd have to buy at the new price and get a refund for the old price. Incredible.

Take the refund and let APMEX do the fighting with the TPG. I suspect, with most getting a 70 grade, that there will be a glut and the price will reflect that in time.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

i still like your coin!

• Options

could these rim problems be due to the nature of the medal being used?

• Options
    Golden1Golden1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017 6:37PM

No population updates at PCGS in the last two days, MS70 (941) and MS70 First Strikes (698)

• Options

@OPA said:

@Raufus said:

Take the refund and let APMEX do the fighting with the TPG. I suspect, with most getting a 70 grade, that there will be a glut and the price will reflect that in time.

I thought about it however I would now have to pay far more than what I paid to replace it. That's what really put me in the bind.

• Options

@steveben said:
    i still like your coin!

Thanks very much!! It really is a beautiful coin. I try to focus on that - but I paid for a 70.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2017 8:51PM

Raufus would you mind sending me the name of this person you talked to at APMEX. I would like to talk to him concerning the last coin I have ready to be sent out. I want to see if he would personally give that coin a fine look over before they send it out! Not that he would but if he wont, I will then ask to speak to his Manager. You know the rest!

Also I am going to call PCGS and talk to someone to ask them why they would certify a 70 to a coin that clearly shows the ring ding. Just to see what they say. At least when I have some free time last 2 days all work and no play!!!!! :(:(:(:(:(

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017 9:24PM

Some of these prices on Ebay are insane, those people are going to get burned badly. The coin market is now like the slot machines.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

The reverse reminds me of my loveable old dog when she wants to puke so eats grass. Nice regardless.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2017 9:42PM

@HalfStrike said:
    Some of these prices on Ebay are insane, those people are going to get burned badly. The coin market is now like the slot machines.

Boy you are right prices are up I wonder will they stay up or will they come down? Thats the million dollar question. The Yellow First Strike's seem to be moving up more than the others.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am kind of freaking out on this particular metal's wild spikes, while the other metals maintain normalcy. (Relative to market). Sorry, that's not particularly coin related. Love this coin design, though.

• Options

I ordered an extra coin after my initial order was placed. It’s my “selling” coin in case I decide to sell it.

Regarding the APMEX black label, why is that $100 more than regular and do you think there are more than 500?

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2017 6:01AM

I can sympathize with those who disagree with the assigned grades, but it’s not really the fault of the reseller. There has been a wide variation in quality of modern-issues finding their way into 70 holders for many years now. It’s reality. I can understand their position. If you don’t like the grade, avail yourself of the established grade review process with our host. They’re the ones who guarantee the grade, not APMEX.

• Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Palladium keeps going up....the metal is up over $55 per ounce just in the last 3 days. Those that bought the 70 coins early and say they aren't 70 grades could probably crack them and sell them raw for more than they paid for those 70s now.

• Options

Good points Bruce and Schmitt. I am going to call APMEX right now and see if there is any way they can look my coin over BEFORE they send it to me.

• Options
    edited October 12, 2017 7:12AM

Raufus I just got off the phone with APMEX told him the situation about my coin still be come out for delivery and the Ring Ding problem. He assured me that if there is ANY problem Customer Service WOULD NOT charge you the EXTRA money. The price you buy your coin at is what you get your coin at. I told him the situation about what you reported and he just could NOT imagine any person from APMEX saying this. I wont say his name but if you pm I will give you his name even though he does not work in that department. I would call back and go the Supervisor and keep going up till you find the person who has basic common sense! Now maybe the guy was feeding me baloney but I felt his intent was good. Good luck sir.

• Options

Got mine delivered today from APMEX as well. Looks even nicer in hand than I expected. Other than it's not PL and paid $1468 for being late to the game I have no complains about APMEX. Definitely a nice design for a change!

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShinyThingsInPM said:
    Got mine delivered today from APMEX as well. Looks even nicer in hand than I expected. Other than it's not PL and paid $1468 for being late to the game I have no complains about APMEX. Definitely a nice design for a change!

I hope the holder isn't already scuffed up!

• Options

Beautiful con, Shiny Things in Pd!

• Options

@ShinyThingsInPM said:

Love the design! Can't wait to see mine. PD has been on fire lately, it hit $988 today. I wonder what is driving it.

PS: I think these First Strikes will go to $2,500

PSGS up'd the population today
    2017 $25 Palladium MS70 (1,156)
    2017 $25 Palladium First Strike MS 70 (715)
    https://www.pcgs.com/pop/pcgsnolookup.aspx?s=652892&bc=653109

• Options

Another interesting bit, I imagine anyone could resubmit their 70 FS slab and change the label to something else they like or more profitable.

• Options

@jwitten said:

@ShinyThingsInPM said:

I hope the holder isn't already scuffed up!

Hairlines on holder don't bother me too much :)

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked through a tube of these at work today and set one aside for myself. Most do have the rim marks as noted. Hard to say the cause.

• Options

mine look fine, no dings. I guess I'm a lucky one?

• Options

This coin here is really something... nice one!
    Thanks for posting, and thumbs up on the photos & coins you have, super nice.

Abandon All Hope-Ye Who Enters Here...Dante Alighieri

• Options

@Jinx86 said:
    I looked through a tube of these at work today and set one aside for myself. Most do have the rim marks as noted. Hard to say the cause.

Can you set 3 as side for me? :p

• Options
    edited October 13, 2017 10:55AM

Do you guys remember how much 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagles MS70 First Strikes were going for not long after released? Wasn't it like $6,000, and that was when gold was $850. There were 1,658 First Strikes 70's graded by PCGS.

Palladium is at $975 and so far there's 715 graded MS70 First Strikes. If the population of 70 First Strikes doesn't go much higher, what do you think they will be selling for at their peak?

• Options

@Golden1 said:
    Do you guys remember how much 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagles MS70 First Strikes were going for not long after released? Wasn't it like $6,000, and that was when gold was $850. There were 1,658 First Strikes 70's graded by PCGS.

They were selling in the $2,900 range in mid March of 2009, shortly after their release. I think that was withing 30 days...

• Options

They dropped to about $2,100 by the end of the month.

• Options

They now want $3200.00 on APMEX and they have them in stock.

• Options

Sold out already? Link?

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    Raufus I just got off the phone with APMEX told him the situation about my coin still be come out for delivery and the Ring Ding problem. He assured me that if there is ANY problem Customer Service WOULD NOT charge you the EXTRA money. The price you buy your coin at is what you get your coin at. I told him the situation about what you reported and he just could NOT imagine any person from APMEX saying this. I wont say his name but if you pm I will give you his name even though he does not work in that department. I would call back and go the Supervisor and keep going up till you find the person who has basic common sense! Now maybe the guy was feeding me baloney but I felt his intent was good. Good luck sir.

Thanks so much for the reply. Sorry my delayed reply. Have been working constantly.

What you describe is exactly what I expected. I would very much appreciate his name if you could please PM me.

Thanks again!! Most appreciated.

• Options
    edited October 12, 2017 9:08PM

@jessewvu said:
    Sold out already? Link?

https://www.apmex.com/product/50936/2009-ultra-high-relief-double-eagle-ms-70-pcgs-first-strike

Is this the coin? There showing they have 2. To expensive for my blood but it looks beautiful.

Raufus I PMd you.

• Options

So close to a thousand spot, now.
    Pricing on 70's continues to rise.
    Dealers and collectors want more.
    I am satiated.

• Options

One ounce of palladium or 20% of one bitcoin. Waiting for that thread.

• Options

Palladium now at spot price of $994 today on market boards. The metal has moved $70+ just this week.

• Options

The Eagle has landed. Now it takes flight.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭

So do palladium coins tone?

• Options

@pf70collector said:
    So do palladium coins tone?

Does Bigfoot die in the woods?

• Options

Palladium does not react with oxygen at standard temperatures (and thus does not tarnish in air). Palladium does have its drawbacks – it’s the only member of the platinum group that oxidizes when heated. Though this bluish purple oxidation is easily removed by quenching the piece in water, repeated heating and quenching can cause the metal to become brittle and crack.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file