Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2017 Palladium Eagle (PDE) in hand and unboxing

Comments

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2017 6:27AM

FYI APMEX is down to their last Black Label (until they restock) Palladium Coin if you can stomach the $1695.00! ( Like I did) :s I am starting to think the 500 limit production is going to be a good thing.
    https://www.apmex.com/product/155884/2017-1-oz-palladium-american-eagle-ms-70-pcgs-fs-black-label

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were 4 black labels available last night, I too got in at $1695, my stomach feels ok.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2017 9:15AM

@morgansforever said:
    There were 4 black labels available last night, I too got in at $1695, my stomach feels ok.

Wow that was weird posted once made a few changes and poof the whole post disappeared. I must of pressed cancel.
    Any ways I was saying that I just checked again and yes your right they are back up to 4. Last night I bought 1 when it was at 6. Even though the board brought this up days ago, I did not jump on this Black Label but with the 500 limit issue and that the PCGS FS issue is now over 700. This one does now become more rare. My Opinion of course. I don't know if they got 3 new ones or a order was cancelled. But I wish I knew the Inner working of these Big Coin companies!
    Conrad's on your purchase I have NO DOUBT this will be a special one! _At least its now special in my mind! _

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine is coming soon, message sent - it's on it's way!! These first Palladiums are going to be quite collectible, only 15,000 exist, never mind those few proof like versions. How many PL are there anyways? Does anybody know? Is it just a couple or so? Is it possible to have had a whole roll of PL? There wasn't this much excitement for the first platinums was there? I think the design has a lot to do with it too.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is starting to bring back memories of the America the beautiful 5 ounce coins that were distributed to bullion dealers. There was a great uproar that the authorized dealers were raising prices and forced the mint to intervine

I wonder if the authorized dealers will stop selling raw coins and only sell graded so they can Jack their prices up

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

This seems to remind me of when the 5 oz pucks first came out but the distributors were restricted in the number sold and the price sold. One had to purchase from different distributors if they wanted additional sets.

How are those puck values holding now compared to the cost to get in on the flipper price? Seems there were PL in some of those too if I recall.

I think I might wait for things to calm down before I look to add one of these to the accumulation...

• Options
    edited October 15, 2017 11:55AM

@morgansforever said:
    @jessewvu said:
    This is starting to bring back memories of the America the beautiful 5 ounce coins that were distributed to bullion dealers. There was a great uproar that the authorized dealers were raising prices and forced the mint to intervine

I wonder if the authorized dealers will stop selling raw coins and only sell graded so they can Jack their prices up

Why didn't the Mint crank out 150,000 of these instead of only 15,000 coins. Maybe the Mint is to blame?

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's my understanding the mint has never officially limited the mintage to 15,000.

If they do, this coin is a winner. It has a mintage 1/10th that of the 2009 UHR.

But.

There is a lot of exuberance from people seeing dollar signs. If they crank the mint up again for another 15k or 50k pieces, these will be pretty bullion.

Tread carefully.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2017 2:23PM

Has anybody seem these holders for the Palladium coin. And why are they bidding so much on JUST A COIN OUT OF A SLAB. bID IS UP TO $1575.00
    I would pay a $100.00 bucks for that holder any body got one? TYIA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112597650143?ul_noapp=true

Is this going to far or am I missing something?
    Sold For $1600.00 just for the ungraded coin.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

@jessewvu said:
    Maybe I should buy a roll and roll the dice for a PL...

Anyone have % that are all?

Are the rolls mint sealed? If not, do you really think the AP's aren't checking every coin now for possibke PL? I'm guessing a few may have been sold raw before the announcement of NGC slabbing some as PL but the odds of buying one raw now are probably negligible. Who knows for sure though. Go for it!

Coins came in tubes.. not sealed ....dealer friend bought 2 tubes.. with one coin looking like a PL.. He sold 18 coins in 2 days .. kept the other 2

• Options

@Weiss said:
    It's my understanding the mint has never officially limited the mintage to 15,000.

If they do, this coin is a winner. It has a mintage 1/10th that of the 2009 UHR.

But.

There is a lot of exuberance from people seeing dollar signs. If they crank the mint up again for another 15k or 50k pieces, these will be pretty bullion.

Tread carefully.

I was thinking along the same lines, potential for more profit, why not pump out another 25k pieces.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

Holy crap. And correct me if I'm wrong but the only people profiting off of PL's will be the AP's correct? That doesn't seem fair at all. And people complain about an offering where everyone has a chance, if only for a minute or two. This is worse!

This hobby has always been rigged/stacked against the average collector to a degree.

• Options

I've yet to see a PL designation on a PCGS slab. I'm guessing they don't recognize these as PL even if it fits the bill? Could there be PL examples in PCGS slabs, waiting to be sent across the street?

• Options
    edited October 15, 2017 4:29PM

BLACK LABEL 2017 1 oz Palladium American Eagle MS-70 PCGS (FS, Black Label)
    Currently Out of Stock
    https://www.apmex.com/product/155884/2017-1-oz-palladium-american-eagle-ms-70-pcgs-fs-black-label

Question is Will they get more? :|:|:|:|:|
    And WILL THE PRICE GO UP AGAIN? :(:(:(:(:( Is it too late to buy another?

• Options

I knew I should have bought their last one. Hope mine is PL and 50% off center, I'll start the bidding at 1 million :)

• Options

@morgansforever said:
    I knew I should have bought their last one. Hope mine is PL and 50% off center, I'll start the bidding at 1 million :)

Wow would that Not be amazing if both of ours turns out to be PL's. I sent my check off yesterday so I will have a few days before its even ready. Hope they did not sell mine and then tell me sorry we made a mistake! Here is your refund, I would be fuming. :p:p:p:p:p

• Options

I would fully suspect they are looking at every one that is shipped for PL potential, if not already attributed by PCGS. I ordered several the first day of availability and none were sequentially numbered....

• Options

I wonder what these PL examples really hammered for? See a few 70's with BIN for 10-12k and a 69 for 7k.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

The APMEX Black Label is very classy. Did they have any PLs?

• Options
    Golden1Golden1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

Looks like PCGS MS70 First Strikes are selling for about $1,900, with sellers reaching for more.
    The coin is a big hit! We were long overdue to get a real winner from the US Mint. The last big wins I remember were:
    2009 UHR
    2008 fractional Buffalo's
    2008-W $1 Burnished Eagle w/ Rev '07
    2006 20th Anniversary Silver Eagles

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am considering buying another. Stupid?

• Options

@jwitten said:

You'll know with clarity in a few months. I too struggle with the same question. Looking at the reverse, what is the significance of the eagle with the olive branch in its beak? Some hidden symbolism? Taking a bite out of peace? Anyone else scratching their head?

• Options

@jwitten said:

Depends on what your motives are. If you like the coin and have the cash, why not? If you think you can sell it for a profit, those margins are dwindling daily.

• Options

@jessewvu said:

@jwitten said:

Depends on what your motives are. If you like the coin and have the cash, why not? If you think you can sell it for a profit, those margins are dwindling daily.

Well, I currently have the cash, and I DO like the coin. But I also don't like to buy coins that will nose dive after purchase, and that's where I am unsure.

• Options
    edited October 15, 2017 6:38PM

@jwitten said:

Absolutely NOT. I bought one yesterday at Check price. $1695.00 I think. More than I wanted to spend but I went for it. I am sure they will get more in the next few days. Just don't ask me how my stock picks are doing this year!

• Options

If the mint makes more, which there is nothing anywhere stating that's the case, i think it could hurt the value. Currently, i see these topping $2,000 raw. I bought some extra just because I thought it was going to be a winner when i ordered mine the day they were released. I sure wish i had purchased them all :D

• Options
    edited October 15, 2017 6:48PM

So in this article from Coin World states that total mintage production is capped at 15,000. coins and NO MORE for 2017. Are they wrong?
    By Paul Gilkes , Coin World
    Published : 10/06/17
    Palladium American Eagle bullion coins get high grades from services
    Many submitted to grading services earning Mint State 70 designations

The United States Mint sold 15,000 of the 1-ounce .9995 palladium $25 coins through its network of authorized purchasers on Sept. 25. U.S. Mint officials announced Oct. 5 that_ no more 2017 palladium bullion coins will be struck_ (all production occurred at the Philadelphia Mint).
    https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/2017/10/palladium-american-eagles-exhibit-quality.html

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice wooden box Gluggo!!!! That isn't available on the mint's website, or anywhere else......hmmmmmmm makes you wonder, was it a holder for a gold coin perhaps? What???? The mint could make more than 15,000? That's just an initial run? I'll never figure out the mint.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the case from the gold Buffalo.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

Yes the seller told me it came from APMEX a while back. It originally came from the US Mint the 1oz Gold Indian/Buffalo hd coins

• Options

@jwitten said:

@jessewvu said:

@jwitten said:

Well, I currently have the cash, and I DO like the coin. But I also don't like to buy coins that will nose dive after purchase, and that's where I am unsure.

I don't believe these will nose dive. It may be the opposite and go to the moon prices?
    This imo is the most exciting coin the mint has put out in years. Being the first of a yearly series guarantees it's success.
    That being said, I'd have a hard time forking over the cash at the current prices.

• Options

@Golden1 said:

@jwitten said:

@jessewvu said:

@jwitten said:

I don't believe these will nose dive. It may be the opposite and go to the moon prices?
    This imo is the most exciting coin the mint has put out in years. Being the first of a yearly series guarantees it's success.
    That being said, I'd have a hard time forking over the cash at the current prices.

What if future years have lower mintage? There are plenty of first year issues that have not climbed in value.

• Options

What do you think about adding one of these to your collection as a mate to the Pd dime? They kind of go together.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2017 9:38PM

@jessewvu said:

The ATB 5 oz coins are exactly what came to my mind as well. In this case in particular it seems crazy that the authorized distributors get to make such a killing.

Sure hope these don't crash like the first 5 ATBs did. They went so high - than just crashed and stayed down.

I like these coins much better. That said, if they start doing collector coins in palladium and the interest and mintages wane these first ones could certainly go down substantially. Time will tell.

I do have to say that these are just awesome looking coins.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2017 9:45PM

@Golden1 said:
    Looks like PCGS MS70 First Strikes are selling for about $1,900, with sellers reaching for more.
    The coin is a big hit! We were long overdue to get a real winner from the US Mint. The last big wins I remember were:
    2009 UHR

The biggest if all $ wise was the 08 ASE w/rev of 07. Some here who got a bunch from the Mint made life changing money.

The 08 plats did well also.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

20 more dollars on the spot price of palladium and I will see the early original pricing on the raw Palladium coins at $1030.

• Options

@Raufus said:

@Golden1 said:
    2009 UHR

The biggest if all $ wise was the 08 ASE w/rev of 07. Some here who got a bunch from the Mint made life changing money.

I was lucky enough to get five 08 ASE w/rev of 07 @ $28.95. I sold 4 of them for $450 and one for $500
    1) UHR for $1,300, sold for $4,500
    10) 20th anniversary silver eagle sets @ $100 each, sold them for $500 each

• Options

Palladium is over $1,000 !

• Options
    edited October 16, 2017 7:04AM

Pinehurst Coin Exchange Amazing how they were able to find these 2 Proof Like coins from their stock! Especially since they sold all of the other coins. This can be yours for $10,999
    2017 $25 AMERICAN PALLADIUM EAGLE .9995 1 OZ NGC MS70PL FDI PALLADIUM LABEL

http://pinehurstcoins.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=2017+$25+AMERICAN+PALLADIUM+EAGLE+

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2017 7:33AM

The Palladium coin reminds me the 2006 Gold Anniv set ....a 10,000 mintage st> @Raufus said:

@Golden1 said:
    2009 UHR

The 08 rev of 07 needed a quirk... bought 10 or less eagles ...6 out 10 were the 07 reverses ,, bought 100 at a time.. zero 08/of 07s .. yes... the biggest score ever from a Mint coin . 15x -30 return ....better than stock options
    The 08 rev of 07 sealed boxes disappeared from ebay ,a year or two ago...... o:)o:)o:)

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2017 9:42AM

I have been in 10 days of shipping limbo waiting for my raw Pd to arrive. Nerve racking to say the least.
    Service Type: Signature Confirmation™

Finally I can expect it today. Some times the USPS likes to mess with my head.

edit to add
    Right next to the shipping progress email was this one about the Coin World Monday Morning Brief right on topic for this thread. Think Paul Gilkes reads this forum?
    https://coinworld.com/videos/2017/10/monday-morning-brief-oct-16-2017.html?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=Lyris&utm_campaign=MondayMorningBrief
    While the 1-ounce gold and silver American Eagle bullion coins, 1-ounce gold American Buffalo and 5-ounce silver bullion America the Beautiful quarter dollars are being struck to order, the 1-ounce bullion versions of the platinum American Eagle and inaugural palladium American Eagle are being treated more like numismatic issues, with limited mintages.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lucked out and bought in at $100 over spot and rec 3 last week they are at PCGS now hope the best. I know there was no PL in the bunch. :)

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2017 10:16AM

MCM decided to quit messing around in the one NGC 70 they have left they pumped up to 1800.
    APMEX has zero.
    Any others out there that you see?

• Options

APMEX has early release ngc MS70 for a little over $1,600 using check. I just picked one up.

• Options
    edited October 16, 2017 1:26PM

@MilesWaits said:
    MCM decided to quit messing around in the one NGC 70 they have left they pumped up to 1800.
    APMEX has zero.

I guess I should of bought more! They have 28 left! But why buy there when you can get them at APMEX at for $1669.00 And they have 20 left!
    https://www.apmex.com/search?q=2017+1+oz+Palladium+American+Eagle

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/more/platinum-palladium/american-paladium-eagles/

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's here!
    Late delivery kept me checking all after noon. I have to agree with several others that this should be coin of the year.

• Options

Agreed. For me it is the coin the year. The last really spectacular coin of the year for me was the 2009 UHR.

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    APMEX has zero.

MCM is down to 19 left selling at their HIGH PRICE of $ 1849.00

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/2017-1-oz-high-relief-palladium-american-eagle-25-coin-ngc-ms70-fdi-black-core-holder-exclusive-us-mint-225th-anniversary-label.html

• Options

Apmex keeps having new 70's in for under 1,700, at the link I posted above

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file