Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC) (SOLD OUT! )

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 8, 2018 10:29AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Oh look. A new product for August.

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC)

For the 225th, in addition to the regular clad proof and mint sets, the Mint is offering a 10-coin circulating coin set in an Enhanced Uncirculated finish.

Item Number: 17XC
Mintage Limit: 225,000
Product Limit: 225,000
Household Order Limit: None
These will be produced in San Francisco and will bear an "S" mint mark.

(225K. Get it? Huh? Huh?)

No price set yet. A regular proof set is $26.95. The price should be the same, but there will probably be a premium.

On sale August 01, 2017 at Noon.

I'm in.

Comments

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2017 11:58PM

What a great time to start a new type of finish. Just as the ATB series is about done.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2017 12:11AM

@kiyote said:
    What a great time to start a new type of finish. Just as the ATB series is about done.

This set has been rumored for a few years now. It'll be interesting if they turn it into a yearly set. (The product code of "17XC" implies that it's a special set, so I'm going to consider it a one-off right now. If it was a yearly set, I would expect a code of "17R"...)

Does this mean we'll see a reverse proof set, as well? I'd like to see it in .999 Ag, please.

It does make me wonder if there'll be a 2017 NA C&C set. Usually that's the outlet for the Enhance Uncirculated NA Dollar.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2017 1:45AM

terrible terrible mint images again

I know they aren't all matte.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking set, however, does not have any attraction for me. I will skip this... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would be the appeal of this set? Would there be some key dates?

• Options

@jwitten said:
    What would be the appeal of this set? Would there be some key dates?

Different finish, packaging.
    One more for the collection...

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

One more coin my pricey capital plastics multi-holder won't have a hole for.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's next, a reverse proof silver set?

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2017 9:34PM

But why isn't there a special 225th anniversary booklet?

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

The coin TV shows will be all over this.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@kiyote said:

This set has been rumored for a few years now. It'll be interesting if they turn it into a yearly set. (The product code of "17XC" implies that it's a special set, so I'm going to consider it a one-off right now. If it was a yearly set, I would expect a code of "17R"...)

Does this mean we'll see a reverse proof set, as well? I'd like to see it in .999 Ag, please.

It does make me wonder if there'll be a 2017 NA C&C set. Usually that's the outlet for the Enhance Uncirculated NA Dollar.

I was wondering as well if there will still be a C&C set. There may still be hope with this perhaps? I was thinking this year we'd see an enhanced finish C&C set produced at the Philadelphia mint because the 2014 C&C set was minted in Denver, 2015 C&C set was minted at West Point, 2016 set was minted in San Francisco...so following this pattern Philadelphia is the only mint yet to produce a Sacagawea that has enhanced finish.

I'll purchase one of the 225th anniversary sets, and hold out hope that a 2017 C&C set will be produced in Philadelphia...please don't let there be a colored, glow in the dark anniversary issue. :/

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭

In for several.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sorry the snooze emoji is no longer available here. It would describe my reaction to this set. It’s just one more gimmick the mint will use to get your money.

It is interesting that the mint is recognizing the 225 anniversary of the agency this year. I wonder if they will settle the argument as whether or not the 1792 half disme was the first regular issue U.S. coin? I think it is and will give a presentation to my local club this month about it. I written an essay too.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2017 9:56AM

I'm still in... x2

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:
    I'm still in...

Yup...

• Options

@grote15 said:
    Another modern mint product that will be worth less than issue price a year or two from now..

This may be true,
    It's for my collection.

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

2017:
    1 - clad proof set
    2 - silver proof set
    3 - enhanced uncirculated set
    4 - to the moon alice! set
    5 - 2nd anniversary of the 4th anniversary plus one year of not being 2009 (?) uncirculated set
    6 - 225 years of shiny round metal in it's pocketses precious reverse proof set
    7 - i ran out of ideas here artificially toned and straight-graded uncirculated MS-99 mint set

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, my first response when the mint throws out a new product like this is.....

I'm still in for this as previously mentioned.....however, I'd like to see a NA C&C 2017 minted at Philly @ 22,500....that would be really too cool! B) Why not?

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know of no other entity that's ever celebrated it's 225th anniversary. Are we supposed to keep cataloging every new issue and every new finish that the bureaucrats at the Mint can dream up, ad infinitum?

Yeah, that's what we are supposed to do.

So, are these clad? On another note, this makes the 2014, 2015, and 2016 Enhanced Unc Sacagawea coins into the new Keys?

If so, they've had a hard time selling 50,000 to 80,000 of the special Coin & Currency Sets, so good luck Mint, trying to sell 225,000 of these. Any private business being run like this would have new management in a year or two.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is an odd anniversary to celebrate with special coins. However, I will be in for one set to go with the other 225th issues. I know, I'm hopelessly addicted.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2013-W Enhanced Uncirculated ASE. (Images courtesy of APMEX)

The 2014-S Enhanced Uncirculated Kennedy half dollar.

he obverse and reverses of the Enhanced Uncirculated Native American dollar coins in the 2014 and 2015 Coin & Currency Sets.

Article from Coin Update..................

http://news.coinupdate.com/mint-updates-august-calendar-announces-enhanced-uncirculated-set/

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

The 2013-W Enhanced Uncirculated ASE. (Images courtesy of APMEX)

The 2014-S Enhanced Uncirculated Kennedy half dollar.

he obverse and reverses of the Enhanced Uncirculated Native American dollar coins in the 2014 and 2015 Coin & Currency Sets.

Article from Coin Update..................

http://news.coinupdate.com/mint-updates-august-calendar-announces-enhanced-uncirculated-set/

I'm in for at least 2! I really like the Enhanced Uncirculated finishes on all the US Mint products.

Thanks for the visual reminder GB!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I'm in for at least 2! I really like the Enhanced Uncirculated finishes on all the US Mint products."

Me, too. Still waiting for the 2017 C&C sets as well.

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    So, are these clad? On another note, this makes the 2014, 2015, and 2016 Enhanced Unc Sacagawea coins into the new Keys?

Well, for the NA dollar, anyway. Mintages:

2014: 50,000
    2015: 88,805
    2016: 48,227 (and counting, they sell a few dozen every week.)

My guess the key will still be the 2014, assuming 2016 sales will pick up when people realize it's the low seller. Of course, that guess could just be clouded because I have a bunch of 2014's around here...

If so, they've had a hard time selling 50,000 to 80,000 of the special Coin & Currency Sets, so good luck Mint, trying to sell 225,000 of these. Any private business being run like this would have new management in a year or two.

I think these sets will do rather well. This isn't a single coin, but every circulating coin in an enhanced finish. Even with the sharp drop-off in sales, the mint routinely sells 2/3+ million proof sets, and 400K+ mint and silver proof sets. 225K from the "US Mint Prediction Department" is on the low side, if you consider their past mis-judgements on what a mintage for a coin should be. This set (and the reverse proof set) has been desired by a lot of collectors ever since the mint started playing with finishes.

They will probably sell out, especially with no HHL's, though I can't guess how fast that would happen. All the other annual coin sets sell less than 50% of their total sales the first week. But it has a number of things going for it:

It might be a one-off, single year set.
    It will have the first enhanced finish on a number of metals, including copper.
    It will be the first enhanced finish of 5 circulating coins, the cent, nickel, dime, quarter and half. (The Kennedy half was silver.)
    A lot of collectors like how the enhanced finish looks.
    It's clad, so the price should come in at a reasonable level. (I could be soooo wrong on that one.)

How many I buy will depend on the price. Nothing posted to the Federal Register yet.

• Options

@koynekwest said:

You know, on one hand, I'm really irked with the Mint for piecemealing out the schedule this year, but considering the interesting additions they've had this year, like the S-mint ASE's, this set (and hopeful for a reverse proof set), I can see why they're doing it, so I really can't complain about it.

I just thought I'd put that out there, to help reduce my inner conflict. (Insert emoticon of your choice here.)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PocketArt said:
    Well, my first response when the mint throws out a new product like this is.....

I'm still in for this as previously mentioned.....however, I'd like to see a NA C&C 2017 minted at Philly @ 22,500....that would be really too cool! B) Why not?

For once I am with the cat. I can resist shiny objects.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@koynekwest said:

You know, on one hand, I'm really irked with the Mint for piecemealing out the schedule this year, but considering the interesting additions they've had this year, like the S-mint ASE's, this set (and hopeful for a reverse proof set), I can see why they're doing it, so I really can't complain about it.

I just thought I'd put that out there, to help reduce my inner conflict. (Insert emoticon of your choice here.)

I agree. I'd like to know what the plans are for the 2017 C&C set are. I am a BIG fan of that beautiful satin finish-it reminds me a little bit of the matte and satin proof Lincolns and Buffalos.

• Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

The way I see it this set is a must for anyone collecting any modern series. You either need the penny, nickel, dime, quarters, half or dollar to keep the set going. Remember the 1996-w dime? These are all S mint non-proof coins in a special finish. Unlike the matte finish nickels from 1994 and 1997 which could also be had from Philly as normal mint state and thus ignored, this one is the first "s" mint Jefferson nickel that is not a proof coin since 1970 and will be the key mint state nickel (2017-s).

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

This will probably be a one time production, over packaged with a box in a box, selling for around 35.00, and selling out not to just collectors but to flippers all too ready to sell to the secondary market. How expensive would this set be graded? 10 coins, slabbed, first day of issue, graded 70? I can't see that happening...but I still want to get a couple of these sets- they are going to look beautiful.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm done. U.S. Mint: you have finally defeated your most loyal drone.

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

If they are available on August 1 at noon, is it a coincidence that it is the opening day of the ANA?

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2017 8:42PM

Judging from the current market, If this is an enhanced silver set, the demand would be much higher.

• Options
    FallGuyFallGuy Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

If the US Mint produces this set in silver I will definitely buy one. If not, then I'll consider getting one of these.

IMHO the 2013 Enhanced Uncirculated (EU) ASE is the most attractive silver eagle made. I really like the 2014-S EU Kennedy half also. It will be interesting to see what the Mint does to set the other denominations apart from regular issue coins, especially the ATB quarters!

Thank you @BackroadJunkie for this thread. I enjoy reading how other forum members view this and prior EU issues.

• Options

@coinhack said:
    If they are available on August 1 at noon, is it a coincidence that it is the opening day of the ANA?

I understand these will be available at the ANA. No other details, yet.

@TurboSnail said:
    Judging from the current market, If this is an enhanced silver set, the demand would be much higher.

Maybe. It would be twice the price, whatever that might be. I think the point of this set is cheap inexpensive.

Should the Mint release a RP set, I would hope that would be silver. .999 silver, but it'll probably be 90%.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭

I will buy one. Like the enhanced versions. If below $35 maybe 2.

• Options

@pf70collector said:
    I will buy one. Like the enhanced versions.

I'm in for 2

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@coinhack said:

Oh look. I'm quoting myself again.

Coin World is confirming they will be sold at the ANA, but no details how many will be sold, whether there will be a limit, etc.

They also confirm these coins will not be in any other set.

Otherwise, it's a repeat of their previous article about the set. :smiley:

coinworld: ANA World’s Fair of Money first stop to get limited-edition Enhanced Uncirculated set

• Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Will PCGS have a special label for those purchased and submitted at the ANA show? I can envision the lines of people just like at the Rosemont IL show in 2014 for the Kennedy gold half.

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @BackroadJunkie I will be at ANA and I will check these out.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

Will be interesting to see the number sold at ANA.

• Options

@Schmitz7 said:
    Will PCGS have a special label for those purchased and submitted at the ANA show? I can envision the lines of people just like at the Rosemont IL show in 2014 for the Kennedy gold half.

PCGS has yet to report if they're going to have a special label (but duh, of course they will.)

NGC has announced:

NGC Special ANA Designations for 2017-S Enhanced Uncirculated Set

They will have a "Denver ANA" and a "First Day ANA" label, and will designate the coins SP.

So, let me know if anyone wants to grab a set for me and submit it at the show... :smiley:

It's also being reported that the EU set will be available at the mint stores in Philly, Denver and Washington DC, but as with the ANA, no details on numbers, pricing or purchase limits.

Two weeks to release, and still no pricing info. That doesn't bode well. We might be looking at a hefty premium over a normal proof set...

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Two weeks to release, and still no pricing info. That doesn't bode well. We might be looking at a hefty premium over a normal proof set...

Really? Unheard of.

• Options

I'm still in X2 :p

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

Really? Unheard of.

You know, the sarcasm in your post dripped off the bottom of your post and into Echoes...

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

My take is that today's technology has enabled the Mint to create all sorts of wonderful and intriguing products for our consumption. Clearly, there's something for just about anybody's budget or taste. However, not unlike what happened with commemorative halves in the 40s, and proof sets that many collected for decades, collector interest can wane rapidly if there isn't long term demand as secondary pricing languishes.

Personally, I feel we've past that point and have moved to the sidelines, forgoing most everything the Mint produces except the MS gold commems and maybe a a limited mintage coin I feel I just MUST have. So, this is a no go for me.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Kudbegud said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

Really? Unheard of.

You know, the sarcasm in your post dripped off the bottom of your post and into Echoes...

Did it?
    Im serious about this, I will go for 2 sets on 1 August.
    Sorry if my post was offensive, just stating a fact.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file