Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

American Eagle 2015 One Ounce Platinum Proof Coin

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have any idea, as to how many proof APE collectors are out there? Let's face facts, APE's are the least popular PM based coins that the Mint has produced.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Originally posted by: OPA

Does anyone have any idea, as to how many proof APE collectors are out there? Let's face facts, APE's are the least popular PM based coins that the Mint has produced.

Well there are enough to satisfy 4,596 at last years all time low mintage. 596 of those people will not get one of these, thats a guarantee. image
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins are the worst investment in the world, but still the best collectible.

I do like some darkside Plats … and they're wonderful pieces of our short history lesson in coins. Economics plays a big part in what ends up as "key" coins. I see a bright future for some of the coins minted by many countries. And that's all I need to put down on this subject. Other than : "I like 'em". Platinum coins.

This year's offerings are no exception to that.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MrEureka
    I'm still trying to figure out the "Liberty Nurtures Freedom" thing.

That's easy. Liberty is asking Freedom for a handout. "Can you spare a dime?" Fairly accurate for a coin dated 2015.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: numisma
    Originally posted by: MrEureka
    I'm still trying to figure out the "Liberty Nurtures Freedom" thing.

That's easy. Liberty is asking Freedom for a handout. "Can you spare a dime?" Fairly accurate for a coin dated 2015.

LOL!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: OperationButter

Well there are enough to satisfy 4,596 at last years all time low mintage. 596 of those people will not get one of these, thats a guarantee. image

Perhaps, but how many of those 4,596 are collectors and not investors or flippers?

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    There is the risk that platinum continues on its downward spiral for the next year....

I'm *****uming a constant PM price..........Pt has been oversold for some time now.

• Options
    One more criteria in the buy or not buy decision -

How much the coin is getting trashed on the various forums......

The more it gets trashed, the more I want to buy one. Always opposite the trend.
  • Options
    Goldbully said: Is it possible for this APE to be reduced to $1,150 with the low platinum prices?

unlikely. The average for first 3 of the 5 days this week = $836. For the Mint prices to go down to $1150, Platinum would have to close below $750/oz today & tomorrow so that the average falls below $800/oz

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    There do not seem to be many of the 2014's one ounce proof platinums for sale now. I believe that coin was on sale for several months, so maybe not many flippers for that issue. The 2015 will be different with a fixed low mintage with more flippers going after this coin. I am still on the fence on this. I thought I might buy, but now not so sure.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Platinum is for catalytic converters. I'd buy the s*** out of a circulated platinum coin. If it existed.

Circulated coin vs. Mint gimmick. 4000 release, one per HH.

2 years from now, no one will care, other than an asterisk in the Redbook.
  • Options
    Its a play on the metal, with a numismatic twist. Just like all PM moderns.

You're a believer, or you are not. Demand is the key.

And im betting that many of the naysayers here will be posting their mint order number Thursday at 12:00.
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    I actually admit to collecting these, so I will buy one.

Whether I will try to use my "network" to buy a couple to flip remains to be seen......

My network consists of my son and his brother in law, they came in handy on the Coin and Chronicle sets.......
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 7over8

And im betting that many of the naysayers here will be posting their mint order number Thursday at 12:00.

Exactly. People trying to convince others not to buy, only to be posting their order numbers and WTS on the BST. Its hilarious and really discredits the member in my book.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm unimpressed by this coin/nclt design. Someone please tell me what short term up-side this has..... I remember doing very well in 2006? with Platinum eagles. I'm intrigued by the mintage promised here.
  • Options
    It will be impossible to judge tomorrows possible Mint sales for the APE's proofs. The 5 oz "pucks" will also be available at the same time and normally generate approx 15k the first day.
  • Options
    RodebaughRodebaugh Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    I like the design, the mintage, and the price. I will be buying.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: 7over8

Exactly. People trying to convince others not to buy, only to be posting their order numbers and WTS on the BST. Its hilarious and really discredits the member in my book.

I guarantee you I will not buy this mint offering. Someone's expression of his opinion is another persons' "convince others not to buy". Whatever.

edit insert other in the quote
  • Options
    Its happened before and it will happen again epcjimi. All good though.

• Options

whatever that means

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think I'll pass.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JRocco

Originally posted by: Baley

Is that supposed to be Liberty's hair, or a hat?

Dang

Looks like Medusa

I used to have me one of them plastic wall clocks in faux gold with the rays.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Butter. Looks like a great price compared to what's for sale elsewhere.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in for two, possibly three Medusa coins. With 7 days to send them back perhaps we'll have an idea of how they'll do by then. It's beyond belief that this hair can look as it does. There are no coins that the Mint has such artistic license on as these. So much potential to make them great and yet again we see another missed opportunity. I wish that I could get past the hair as, beyond that, it's not bad. But then there is the hair.... What a bummer. BTW, the point about the puck going on sale at the same time is a great one. This will, as stated, make Medusa much harder to track barring a fast sell out which seems unlikely.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1

whatever that means

Others here have had some very negative posts of the years, reducing "hype" over a particular issue only to be either promoting it or posting on the BST as WTB in quantity that same issue that they spoke so negatively on.

This has happened before, and it will happen again. That was what I meant.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Bullsitter

Think I'll pass.

Are you bullsitting us?

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass. I might have considered it, even if just to resell to one of the dealers that are offering, but I won't be home to sign for it and I don't want to delegate the responsibility to my house-sitter.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would have thought they could have put some detail on the eagle's feathers. This coin is just blah, with that hat and eagle.

Not for me.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be impossible to judge tomorrows possible Mint sales for the APE's proofs. The 5 oz "pucks" will also be available at the same time and normally generate approx 15k the first day.

Right, and the 2015-P Saratoga ATB 5-oz. silver quarter has an issue limit of 20K. This is 5 times the limit of the 2015 proof Platinum Eagle, but the "puck" is probably more than 5 times more popular with collectors and is available at 1/8 the price of the platinum coin.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in for one.
  • Options
    almost a 50% markup? no thanks (for my personal collection)

as far as flipping goes:
    lets say they do sell out relatively fast. To really get a descent flip on one of these, there has to be a demand for this coin. There will certainly be a few out there who have to have one because of the low mintage, but those folks will probably (& should) buy one from the get go directly from the mint. How many people are there that can drop $1200 on a coin . . . not many I would think that aren't plugged in to the knowledge base to know that there are only 4000 and that they should just buy one from the Mint directly

I've been bit once too many times thinking I'll make a good profit flipping a "high demand" coin from the Mint, only to find out that there really isn't enough of a demand, and there are way too many flippers out there doing the same thing. pass this time.

Nooker

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
    For all those that are "passing", I listed an offer on BST for a quick $50 profit. I'll pay for shipping (insured fedex label) too.

- Aron
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I decided to pass on this one.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Write me as well if you would order one for me. Thanks. Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: wondercoin
    Write me as well if you would order one for me. Thanks. Wondercoin

Mitch is the go to man with all new releases. Treats people fair and pays fast. What more can you ask!!!
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭
    Got mine!
    Zircon Cases - Protect Your Vintage Slabs www.ZirconCases.com
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got mine too
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was on the fence until the last moment, and decided to pull the trigger.

USM038032xx

Tough getting though, had to reload more than a couple of times...
  • Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    order #3803XXX
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Got mine and it's unavailable now within 5 minutes on the Mint site. That was fast!
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: robertpr
    Got mine and it's unavailable now within 5 minutes on the Mint site. That was fast!

There were only 4,000.
    Zircon Cases - Protect Your Vintage Slabs www.ZirconCases.com
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    GONE....... less then 8 minutes
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    Got mine with #03805###
    Official recipient of the "You Suck" Award (Oct. 2011)
  • Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Got 2 ordered another but no longer available

• Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CuKevin

Originally posted by: robertpr

There were only 4,000.

That's why I started refreshing at 12:00 sharp! image
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    2000 orders between my platinum order and my 5 ounce Saratoga, place just seconds apart.
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Is this the fastest sellout?
  • Options
    Got my orders in! That was fast....

• Options
    I think i got 2 but i know for sure 1. I had the 2nd one in cart and hit the confirm button where it process the order and the page crashed. I have not got an email on either one yet so I am hoping the 2nd on went threw.
  • Options
    and they are UNAVAILABLE.

Got mine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file