OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
to be released on 12/3

click on the us MINTS website for details

US Mint
"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that supposed to be Liberty's hair, or a hat?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Baley

Dang

Looks like Medusa

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wreath?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

You certainly made me click the link!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $350 premium for the hair doesn't lead me to buy.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like a mop you would find on a ship
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still trying to figure out the "Liberty Nurtures Freedom" thing.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW...

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Hey, can't Miss Liberty has a bad hair day?American Eagle 2015 One Ounce Platinum Proof Coin
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MilesWaits

$350 premium for the hair doesn't lead me to buy.

Pt at $850 seems low. Almost a 10 year low.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 41% premium is about the highest I've seen. I thought the 33% to 35% premiums from prior years were pretty high. Their cost basis on platinum must be high this year.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, the hair just kills it.

How does stuff like this (the hair) ever make it to final design???
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Issue limit is 4000. Will this be the lowest mintage ever for a proof?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    The whole image is out of whack - not to mention the hair. It's not quite enough to drive me totally away from Plats yet, but there's definitely some cognitive dissonance here. Not a fan of the sunburst clipart. What is she standing on? A garbled message at best.

Yes, a mintage of 4,000 would be the lowest Proof issue. The fact that it's a limited mintage with 1 to a household limit and has an inordinately out of proportion premium isn't getting me too excited either. It has that old feeling I sometimes get from the Mint when they know that they have a captive audience - until they don't. They are walking a fine line.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Im in. 4,000 is very low for the plat proofs.
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone, somewhere in the ether said that it looked like Liberty was bribing the Eagle with something in her hand and was going to bash it on the head with the torch.

Now I can't see anything else. image (I don't own any platinum. I'm on the fence. I think I'd rather have the centennial coins...)

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strange design...must be another 'committee' thing.... and the price is definitely not

reasonable. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RodebaughRodebaugh Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    I will be buying.

Does anyone know the final mintages for the 2104 proofs?
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I will probably buy one in case they sellout. I will have a week to return. They offered the regular 2015 platinum bullion this year already, so don't know how this will effect sales on the proof. I wanted to buy a 70 in the aftermarket, but I believe prices will be in the 2k range for it because of the 4k mintage limit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pf70collector
    They offered the regular 2015 platinum bullion this year already, so don't know how this will effect sales on the proof.

I haven't seen any bullion 2015 platinum eagles offered for sale yet, though there was a small run in 2014.

• Options
    They haven't made any regular bullion 2015 coins. The blurb that I read indicated that they decided to use the existing inventory blanks for the Proofs, which kinda tells me that they didn't want to sell their high-cost inventory at low-premium bullion prices.

At a 41% markup, the Proofs don't hurt their cost structure as much, although it's not being very nice to collectors when they operate in that manner. But what do they care? It's the Mint!

As Lilly Tomlin might have said, "We're the Mint! We don't care, because we don't have to!"

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    The lowest recent sales on eBay for the 1 oz. APE are $1100 for bullion and $1195 for proof. If the Mint's price for the 2015 proof remains at $1200 (or goes lower) after it opens Dec. 3, a quick sellout wouldn't surprise me.

4000 mintage at a common-date price.

• Options
    I'm in. No need to think about it.
    Platnum at its lows and premiums for these coins on secondary
    market is high.
    Don't think about the price, think about your risk. You don't have more than $100-$150
    risk in this coin.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    What is with the household order limit of one on this?
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: HalfStrike

What is with the household order limit of one on this?

Uno

Free shipping on orders over $100 through Dec. 10th

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder whether the 2016 issue will also have a 4000 mintage thus making for two low mintage keys. The 2015's key status may thus be very short lived. I'm in for one raw and one graded 70 if the price is right but the huge premium over spot and the absurd hair on the coin make this a tough one.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Raufus
    I wonder whether the 2016 issue will also have a 4000 mintage thus making for two low mintage keys.

If there's a quick sellout, the 2016 mintage will likely be higher. See the mintages on the recent presidential dollar Coin and Chronicle Sets. The Truman and Ike sold out in under an hour at 17,000 each, causing the Mint to raise the mintages substantially for the Kennedy and later issues.

• Options
    Based on the 2014 coin this one should sell out within a week, if not sooner. It is also possible they do not strike the entire 4000 mintage, but I am *****uming they are. The upside is the coin should be worth $1900 within 6 months at 4000 mintage if not sooner. I see no downside here unless flippers get desperate.

If by chance the mint does not do 4000 it could be much higher.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI...I'm not the seller nor have I ever dealt with him...
    Seller has 20 1 oz 2014 APE's with a BIN of $1,200 currently listed on eBay...Perhaps he knows something of the potential 2015 value?

2014 $1,200 BIN's for 2014 APE's 1 oz
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Im thinking the Plat series is done after 2016. You guys haven't mentioned the "first release of a special two year series" note that the mint has put up as the description. Quite interesting that this special release ends on the 20th year of the Plat series. Im probably wrong, but more fuel to the fire.

This has the makings of being a super coin. Im in for a few.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    Those 20 coins are not proof coins, they are the bullion coins. The mint has said there will be no 2015 bullion platinum coins, so these 4000 proof platinums will be all they mint for 2015. I see there are already a couple of 2015 presales at $1650 up on Ebay. A couple already sold.

So this coin has 2 things going for it, one it will be the lowest mintage proof platinum coin ever struck, and two there is no competition from the bullion coins. If someone wants a 2015 coin this is the only one. A third thing is it is a 1 ounce coin.
  • Options
    Here's a 2008 w $100 Platinum with a mintage of 2876. 2008 W $100 Platinum MS 1617.01

Demand still not there for these platinums. Though the 2015 will be the key for the $100 platinum proofs.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You hit the nail on the head PR70Collector. A 4,000 proof Mintage would have sent shivers down my spine 7 or 8 years ago. Now, my immediate thought is whether 2016 might end up at 3,500 and whether anyone will even care. Will the Mint even sell 4,000 orders next week or be forced to lift the household limit when only 2,500 are sold? Sure, I'll buy some coins to have on my site along with all the other earlier dated proof platinum I have in stock. But, my enthusiasm would have even been stronger had the Mint made this coin a 2,500 mintage. With gold spouse mintages now running below 2,000 (routinely) and generally not worth a penny over Mint cost, it will be interesting to see whether these platinum coins will carry a value over $1,200 a year from now (if $850 spot). I hope so. Just my 2 cents. Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure I can get past that 44 % premium.....
    ----- kj
  • Options
    Originally posted by: wondercoin
    You hit the nail on the head PR70Collector. A 4,000 proof Mintage would have sent shivers down my spine 7 or 8 years ago. Now, my immediate thought is whether 2016 might end up at 3,500 and whether anyone will even care. Will the Mint even sell 4,000 orders next week or be forced to lift the household limit when only 2,500 are sold? Sure, I'll buy some coins to have on my site along with all the other earlier dated proof platinum I have in stock. But, my enthusiasm would have even been stronger had the Mint made this coin a 2,500 mintage. With gold spouse mintages now running below 2,000 (routinely) and generally not worth a penny over Mint cost, it will be interesting to see whether these platinum coins will carry a value over $1,200 a year from now (if $850 spot). I hope so. Just my 2 cents. Wondercoin.

My take is this, first off that coin referenced above is an MS coin, second, it's in an NGC holder, plain label. Generally the speculators are interested in comparing apples with apples, and here we need proof comparisons, and in PCGS first strike holders. It is what it is and that should be the starting point. Here's an example, not a proof but still a relative comparison.

2008 W Plat ms 70 pcgs fs holder $5,395

• Options
    Here are auction prices realized from PCGS.

2008 W $100 Platinum Auction Prices Realized

There's a PCGS MS 70 not first strike at $1880 that sold on Oct 2015. Prices are all over the place.

• Options
    You guys are hilarious

Trying to convince each other that you are not buying for XYZ reason. Nonsense. The mint is giving flippers and collectors a gift on a platinum platter. Comparing it to bullion platinum, gold or anything else is just fluff. Compare it to other 1oz platinum PROOF coins. Can anyone find any GENERIC date 1 oz platinum proof for under $1200 right now? Better yet, many are complaining of the premiums, can you find any platinum proof coins that are trading at under $200 over spot right now? Please link if you can.

The mint has created an INSTANT mintage low. This isn't some guess work that many are trying to do with each issues year in and year out on the Spouses or other modern issues. This is a manufactured instant low mintage KING. A two year "subset" for design, instant low mintage and the forced distribution into COLLECTORS hands with a 1 per household limit is truly a GIFT to collectors. Yes some will flip, it will provide a nice quick return, but I believe that this coin will bring some strong money. I have the ability to buy roughly 10 using separate friends accounts. I wont be getting that much as I simply didnt budget for that, and honestly didnt think the mint was going to give us this slam dunk of a deal. I will be keeping some for myself and will be flipping some out. Its a win win for everyone IMO.

Thanks USM for a great start to the holidays.

• Options
    "Can anyone find any GENERIC date 1 oz platinum proof under $1,200 right now?"

OperationButter... I can deliver 50-100 pieces to your office tomorrow if you like. Just say the word now and have your cashiers check ready tomorrow.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: wondercoin

"Can anyone find any GENERIC date 1 oz platinum proof under $1,200 right now?"

OperationButter... I can deliver 50-100 pieces to your office tomorrow if you like. Just say the word now and have your cashiers check ready tomorrow.

Wondercoin.

Mitch we both know that you have the ability to fill that order but also that you would not do that deal at the same time. Regardless, you are referring to an off market transaction. Are these readily available for the public to browse and purchase on ebay or your site?

The point of my previous post was that the proofs are not being readily marketed and sold at prices at or under $1200. The instant rarity that the mint is giving all of us, at a "greedy" price of $1200, is still within the range of what the market deems reasonable for older generic dates.

I can't wait to see the BST on Dec 3rd and see who really didnt purchase or who really isnt looking to purchase this coin.

• Options
    "you would not do that deal at the same time"

Seriously, I would discount the coins even further to sell 50-100 pieces tomorrow. I did not offer you the coins to show I had the "ability" to fill an order. I offered you the coins because I would like to move them to heck out!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    This is going to be the lowest mintage proof platinum coin of any denomination, and have no 2015 bullion coins to compete with in sets. It will not be a $1200 coin after it sells out. If they had no household limit I would have bought all I could at that price.
  • Options
    There are some 1 oz. Proof Platinum Eagles that I would still like to buy at $1,200.

What dates are available, and what grade are we talking? I might be interested in those, like seriously.image

The 2015-W Proofs will sell out. They might do very well, but I've also learned that the Mint is capable of just about anything.

It seems that the Mint usually takes the "bull in a china shop" approach with new issues. They really don't care when they thrash around in the marketplace and disrupt a series. They've done it with several Modern series, and this is not much different. They tend to over-react in their own special way, to milk collectors for whatever they can squeeze out.

The whole idea is to try to use their unpredictability to one's advantage. I always try to gauge a new issue's potential by the smell. If the deal really seems to stink, it is probably a winner. Not as big a winner as the 1995-W Proof Silver Eagle - but still a likely winner.

A little story to my point. In 1986 - which was the first year of issue, I had decided that a really good longterm investment would be to buy a bunch of the Proof ASEs every year, and my budget was enough to buy 15 of the Proofs every year, which I did from 1985 through 1994. The turning point for me came in 1995 with the 1995-W Proof Silver Eagle that was only available in the $1,000 five-coin 10th Anniversary Set. Phillip Diehl pumped up this set as a "reward" to collectors who had supported the series for many years. For me, it was anything but a reward.

My problem was that I had supported the Silver Eagle Series quite significantly for those 10 years, because I had bought 15 of them every single year, actually as a retirement investment that would take me 30 years into the future. When I couldn't shell out $15,000 in order to keep up my original commitment, I stopped buying Silver Eagles cold. Forget him, forget them. That was my attitude. The problem was that I knew the Silver Eagle would be a good coin, and it really ticked me off. For awhile, it didn't do much but it eventually became a $3,000 coin which would have been a great call.

After that, my philosophy on Moderns changed totally. I now use the "it ain't fair" and "it really stinks" rule of thumb. If the offering really, really stinks, it very well might be good. This 2015-W Plat only stinks nominally. The design is mediocre. The jacked-up premium stinks, but not enough to make me stop collecting Plats. If it stunk that bad, I'd be trying my damnedest to circumvent the system and buy as many as I could figure out how to buy. It's not quite that bad.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    good points jmski52

I will add the risk factor. What is at risk with each $1200 purchase *****uming metal price remain stable?? You will not buy proof platinum for less than $200 - 250 over spot. I can get $175-$200 over for any crappy proof one ounce plat I can find - with box and papers - to a wholesaler.

So *****uming you have about a $150 severe downside risk in each coin, while your upside is several times that amt.

It's a no brainer.

• Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    One of my rules of thumb has been, when the professionals are buying "household limit" mint releases above issue price, that is likely a good opportunity. Look at the Coin and Chronicles series this year, the 2011 silver eagle set, etc.

When the big buyers are silent, it's probably time to stay on the sidelines too. Like the gold Kennedy.

I haven't seen anyone on the BST offering to buy these above issue price, but I"m looking for that.

If the big boys don't see it as a sure thing, they usually know more than me.
  • Options
    Its likely the big boys have been able to arrange their own buying parties, internally, for a very small premium.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible for this APE to be reduced to $1,150 with the low platinum prices?
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    The number of unsold and sold presale 2015 APE listings appearing on ebay (@ ~ $1650) three days before the date of sale makes me think fizzle on the flip.
  • Options
    I will add the risk factor. What is at risk with each $1200 purchase *****uming metal price remain stable?? You will not buy proof platinum for less than $200 - 250 over spot. I can get $175-$200 over for any crappy proof one ounce plat I can find - with box and papers - to a wholesaler.

So *****uming you have about a $150 severe downside risk in each coin, while your upside is several times that amt.

There is the risk that platinum continues on its downward spiral for the next year, and that next year's coin comes out at $900 with spot at $650. If that were to happen, the 2015-W (and every other Proof as well) could also start losing both premium and bullion value. In a bad economy, this could certainly happen.

The coin has upside potential as well. If all things remained somewhat static, I see no reason why this coin wouldn't be around $2,200 to $2,300 in PR-69 within a year.

Both of these scenarios are possible, and I'm the last guy to tell you which one it will be. Since I'm a collector, this amount of risk is pretty much irrelevant. But I do acknowledge that the risk exists in both directions.

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file