Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

American Eagle 2015 One Ounce Platinum Proof Coin

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

The CFA chose images of eagles for each proof coin, No. 9 for 2015 and No. 22 for 2016.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing what the 2016 plat design will actually be. Unfortunately, as we so painfully saw w the 2015 gold HR, they have the uncanny ability to choose a terrible design (the obverse) instead of one of the far better contenders. Further, one look at Medusa's hair on the '15 plat shows how they can screw up an otherwise o.k. design. Hopefully the hair will not look as bad on the actual coin. I do love some of those designs. Hopefully one of the better ones will be chosen and well executed.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grote15
    Originally posted by: OperationButter

I like the AEP-R-07..

Me too.image

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok that one on the right is making me stand up and take notice image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I wish they gave her nipples.
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: agentjim007
    I wish they gave her nipples.

Too bad it's not circulating coinage. I'd love a "Full Nipples" designation on a slab, sorta like Rosie's FB and Franklin's FBL. Even if they abbreviated it, we'd still have an FN coin...

Am I back in high school? Such sophomoric humor... image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: CCC2010

I like the AEP-R-07..

Me too.image

Me three. Beautiful!

• Options
    gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭
    umm....would someone tell me why people are paying ridiculous amounts of money for something that by modern standards isnt that rare???? if you dont believe me just wander through some of the spouse pops.... i guess this is the new normal for the USM now...1 per customer only... make it more rare than it is.... why anyone would pay 2x+ spot for this is just beyond me....

jmho and i claim to know nothing!
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By that logic, MS65 Morgans should be $35.

And design wise, 2013 is still a personal fav.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The jugs on the 07 are nice
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I have the 2013 $100 Platinum Proof. I did not have the funds for the 2015. It will be interesting to see how 2015 will do in a few years. I do have an Eleanor Roosevelt MS Gold Spouse with a mintage of around 1850 which is only selling about $300 over issue price.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am looking forward to this design completing the two-year set. This one will make up a bit for 2015.

I am thankful for all of your input as otherwise I may not have purchased one of these.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: gyromac
    umm....would someone tell me why people are paying ridiculous amounts of money for something that by modern standards isnt that rare???? if you dont believe me just wander through some of the spouse pops.... i guess this is the new normal for the USM now...1 per customer only... make it more rare than it is.... why anyone would pay 2x+ spot for this is just beyond me....

Nipples on coins thread. HUGE SELLER. MHO. Sorry.

why anyone would pay 2x+ spot for this is just beyond me....

Join the crowd.

What's with the indented thread follow post format.

As much as pcgs depends on online business, that the message board is a mix of stuff, well, there ya go. Whatever.
  • Options
    Mine just shipped. Would be great to see some pics if anyone who paid for express shipping receives theirs today.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those breasts are making me hungry for some KFC or Popeye's
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the AEP-R-07..

I think the Mint should adopt a one-bare-breast concept for 2016 as they did in 1916.
  • Options
    Man, I love Manorcourt's posting for this issue on the BST for assertiveness and selling savvy!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MilesWaits
    Man, I love Manorcourt's posting for this issue on the BST for assertiveness and selling savvy!

+1 - Great BST post!
  • Options
    Looks like 1st in hand sealed sold on Ebay today for two grand! in 49 minutes. Bummer for those who sold for $50 over purchase. Here is a great deal for anyone who missed ordering. I'd probably still with the OBO option for this listing. LOL. Good lord - gotta love some sellers.
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Raufus

Looks like 1st in hand sealed sold on Ebay today for two grand! in 49 minutes. Bummer for those who sold for $50 over purchase. Here is a great deal for anyone who missed ordering. I'd probably still with the OBO option for this listing. LOL. Good lord - gotta love some sellers.

I'd be tempted to sell mine for $2,000. But I plan to keep it.

OTOH, I'd definitely sell for that other listing's $9,999.99 asking price. And I'd personally hand-deliver it anywhere in the U.S. as soon as the payment clears.

Any takers? image

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    Originally posted by: gyromac

Whelp, while I haven't done any sales for these and haven't heard any speculation generally the TV hucksters will buy up hot items in quantity for later resale after grading. I can't imagine the avg smoe would buy these and I am not sure zxactly how many Plat collectors there are at these levels.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Overdate
    I wonder whether the 2016 issue will also have a 4000 mintage thus making for two low mintage keys.

If there's a quick sellout, the 2016 mintage will likely be higher. See the mintages on the recent presidential dollar Coin and Chronicle Sets. The Truman and Ike sold out in under an hour at 17,000 each, causing the Mint to raise the mintages substantially for the Kennedy and later issues.

This was a telling and possibly accurate analysis of the next offering.

As far as the complaints on pricing, as I was one of them, look back a few years for mint release pricing when platinum was high.

This issue is taking off in price more than I would've anticipated.

If platinum does rise before the next offering, regardless of mintage, this is going to be a big year of the gift.
  • Options
    And by the way, my mine have shipped. As of today.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miles, I also thought that Manorcourtman's selling approach was saavy. Irresistable, in fact.image

I also struggled with the price question for days, but my thought process evolved almost parallel to yours. Yeah, there may not be as many Plat collectors now but it could still be a gift. No guarantees, but still worth a shot.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Just got my email, and it shipped yesterday.

That was fast.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is in-town "out for delivery".

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    Well put, Jmski. The Man's creativity and chutzpah deserve recognition and quick payment for the desired reward of another platinum gift.
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Mine just showed up. Thought I would share a couple of pics. It is very attractive in hand, with quite elaborate packaging......
    [URL=http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/rallison7/media/photo 80_zpsuxdgfvhb.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/rallison7/media/photo 81_zpshmw8qjuz.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/rallison7/media/photo 82_zpsw3qiwmc7.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    Hi bigole, i Saw it mention about how display 2 coins in same box, do you know how it's work? Thank you

Each 2015 American Eagle One Ounce Platinum Proof Coin contains 99.95 percent platinum and is packaged in a custom–designed presentation case, allowing both 2015 and 2016 coins to be displayed together.

• Options
    RonBRonB Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering about the 2 coin display method also..

Completed auction prices insane on the bay right now Link
    Collector of Classic US Coins
  • Options
    3954 sold last week
    To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    The felt the coin sits in has a single hole in the middle.

When you flip it over, it has two holes, for when next year comes out!

I like it.....
  • Options
    Thanks for the pics!!

The OGP is cool looking for this one.

What am I missing here??

$2499???
  • Options
    Thanks for the pics!!

What am I missing here??

$2499???

The only thing you and I are missing Raufus are more of these coins in hand!

• Options
    Got mine today about 3pm. Not bad for free shipping... image

Obverse:

Reverse:

Insert holder (front and back):

(Ignore the lint. I did.)
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MilesWaits
    Thanks for the pics!!

What am I missing here??

$2499???

The only thing you and I are missing Raufus are more of these coins in hand!

Indeed Miles,
    That's the truth!!
    R-
  • Options
    It will b fun to C what the 70FS coins bring.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebay sold prices look to be hovering around $1,900 now. Nice pics, bigole & CoinJunkie!

I do detect a minuscule strand of lint! A tragedy, I tell you.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Looking forward to receiving mine tomorrow. Nice looking Coin - thanks BackRoadJunkie for the pics.

Glad I was able to get my order in. It was a miracle on my part to even give it a try after getting shut out on the

last 3 C&C Sets.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got mine today.

Pristine. But I'm leaving it in the Mint packaging.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jmski52
    Nice pics, bigole & CoinJunkie!

Yeah, I know, all us Junkies look alike on the web... image
  • Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This issue is great
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those coins look great. I think the folks that ordered got a great deal especially if they are going to flip them. I really like the obverse.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strong sales on the bay. Seems like these are pushing $2k now.

Almost missed out on these, but threw one on the card at the advice of my father...good advice, pop!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    I love the energy behind this issue. It is been a while. I see all listings on the BST besides one that hasn't been updated are sold. That bodes well. We will see how well once they start arriving en masse.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DCW
    Strong sales on the bay. Seems like these are pushing $2k now.
    Almost missed out on these, but threw one on the card at the advice of my father...good advice, pop!

I so wish I could convince a few family members of how silly this hobby is but they won't have it.
  • Options
    I received my two (mine + one ordered by my father) today.

I sold one sealed to a large dealer at a price that I couldn't resist. Hope they get a 70.

I opened the other coin to determine whether or note to grade.

Man, did I luck out! Just an amazing coin. I studied it under a loupe w/good lighting for 15 minutes. Amazing. Perfect, mirrored fields on both sides w/no distractions at all. Perfect frosted devices on both sides w/no frost breaks - even the tiny ones that I've seen w my PCGS Plat 70s. Perfectly centered strike w/perfect rims. Overall, this issues looks far better in hand than I had expected. Great and sharp contrast between fields and devices. The only thing that I don't like is the hair. WHAT were they thinking??

I must also say that the OPG is, by far, the best of any plat. In fact, other than the UHR, it's by far the best of any modern that I've seen.

It pains me to slab this one as it's a keeper. I really enjoy this coin far more in the OGP that I will slabbed just as I enjoy my UHRs in the OGP more than the slabbed 70s.

Anyway, if this is a representative coin then I think that the 70 grade through rate will be on the high end for plats.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1
    $1750

Anyone else get $550 over $1200 on the bst flip? Just wondering. I did not buy this coin. I missed this flip. Congrats to the flippers.

Not I, but Wondercoin's complement on my BST noted. image

I paid someone almost that last night. Just short of the 550.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Originally posted by: blu62vette
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1
    $1750

Anyone else get $550 over $1200 on the bst flip? Just wondering. I did not buy this coin. I missed this flip. Congrats to the flippers.

Not I, but Wondercoin's complement on my BST noted. image

I paid someone almost that last night. Just short of the 550.

Got $2k for sealed box from a big dealer - no fuss, no Feebay B.S.

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $800/profit is a great deal, may go higher - but $800 is good enough for me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file