Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

American Eagle 2015 One Ounce Platinum Proof Coin

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    COCollector .... the entire situation is sort of comical in a way. And, centers around designations at its core.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: wondercoin
    A number of recent sales between $2,081 and $2,150 as well on ebay. Those sellers are netting LESS than I am currently buying them for on the BST board. And, I would personally never sell a sealed box of anything of this type of value on a site where if a buyer claims his box had no coin in it, I likely lose every time. But, that is just me,

Wondercoin

I have to be paid to take risks. As Mitch notes there is a definite risk in selling a sealed box being that Ebay makes stealing so incredibly easy. For that matter, they could claim that a box with a slabbed coin was empty as well so not sure that a slab is much safer. I have sold a lot of expensive sealed boxes on Ebay. Thankfully I've not had trouble. I'm sure that in time my luck will run out. Because of this risk I strongly prefer to sell to Mitch, MCM, APMEX, etc - whomever is offering the best price at the time - no hassles, no risk, easy transactions. That said the spread between Feebay and selling to a dealer is the key. I would - and did - gladly sell to a dealer (MCM in this case) for a hundred or so less net on a $2K coin vs Ebay. The $100 is more than offset by the decreased risk and hassle. In other instances, when I want to sell and the dealers are substantially below Ebay net of fees I use Ebay and hope for the best. I've sold well over $100K in coins on Ebay over the years and have never been outright stolen from. I have had some horrible buyers who fully take adavntage of the no feedback for buyers policy. Still, I've managed to maintain my 100% pos FB and 5/5 DSRs. It does take effort, a lot of tolarence and some luck though. (Wish I could figure out paragraph breaks. Perhaps one day this will be fixed.)

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well said, Raufus. I too have largely avoided eBay for any sales that may be a return issue. The days of the Mints 7 day return policy and secure selling on eBay are things of the past. The risk has increased so I have become more conservative. I am very thankful there are so many offers to buy Mint issues on BST so I can make my choice based on a number of factors. The salad days are past and the slim Pickens winners are the new norm.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a smile?

Or a frown?

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latest pop report........

I thought Mercanti defected to NGC.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Raufus
    Originally posted by: VanHalen
    What is the First Strike cutt off for this coin? I can't find it on the PCGS web site. Thanks

There probably isn't a cut-off. All sold in 7 minutes and were delivered within 7 days right?

Indeed re 8 min sell out. I'm just trying to find out what date PCGS has set for the FS cutt off. I can't find it on the site. I'll call them tomorrow. There is always a cutt off. It's 30 days from the date of delivery of the first coins received.

Not always, the first release of the ATB's were all FS eligible.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Goldbully

Latest pop report........

I thought Mercanti defected to NGC.

I suspect they HAVE A TON OF PRE-SIGNED LABELS stock-piled and NGC will do the same.

Frankly, it is ridiculous. Finite mintages are what make Coin Collecting fun. You can never get more than they Minted unless they don't say how many they minted.

The POPs for the Mercanti signed 2008-W w/ Rev of 2007 W FS went from 194 to over 204 about 4-5 weeks before he defected.

This summer, I had two units that were FS without a Flag, I asked for the Flag version, my (2) original Mercanti signatures were swapped out with (2) 'new' Mercanti signatures. The new ones are genuine, but the fact they were taken from an obvious stock pile of pre-signed makes the significance a JOKE. Where did my (2) Orignal Labels go? Back in the stockpile?

How does the POP change if the program had limits and they were supposedly signed a couple years ago? I thought that there was a LIMITED time those labels were available to get when they started that Program? Instead, somehow that small detail was changed.

I would wager that if someone writes down the POPs for all Mercanti Signature Labels TODAY, you will see the POPs increase in numbers, going forward. I hope I am wrong on this, but evidence I have seen in the last year is not hopeful.
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Not really looking to start another thread, but just saw on coinfacts that the First Strike PR70 DC has a price point at 4K, and I think the First Strike PR69 DC was 2K and some change.

Anyone planning on keeping theirs and completing the 2 year set?

I don't have an ebay account, and I think I could count the number of coins I've sold on one hand,

But I bought this coin originally to have it get the FS designation and flip it, but now I'm thinking of waiting to complete the set.

What are your thoughts.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two PCGS PR70 First Strike coins sold for $ 3,425 and $ 3,500 for best offers on Ebay. This should keep the sealed boxes at well over $ 2,000 for the holidays

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to all !!!!
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    RawMorgan, I will be keeping one for the set completion as I very much like the near naked image for 2016.
  • Options
    2015-W $100 American Platinum Eagle, PR69DCAM, First Strike, PCGS

$2,250.00

2015-W $100 American Platinum Eagle graded Proof 69 Deep Cameo First Strike by PCGS ***One per customer***

L&C Coin 69 FS

Latest Pop Report..............

• Options
    How is it that all signature labels are 70s?
  • Options
    Same reason it appears that well over half these coins grade 70 without signatures.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Any downside to getting mine graded with signature label?

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭
    Curious question, if one thought their example was more likely to grade 69 than 70 would it still be wise to get it certified as first strike or leave it raw?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Southcounty

Curious question, if one thought their example was more likely to grade 69 than 70 would it still be wise to get it certified as first strike or leave it raw?

Leave it raw. First Strike will only benefit a 70.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is it that all signature labels are 70s?

It's as "SIGN" image …in signature
  • Options
    Pops as of today....................

Now who got those first day issues? No preferential 70's either, naysayers! image
  • Options
    I closely inspected mine; and based on the early pops, I think chances are good it'll grade a 70.

And a 70 is worth maybe an extra $1,000?

So I submitted mine this morning.

• Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    I wonder what will be the amount of the closing on Sundayimageimage

image The Link:

Text

Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    Whoo Wee.....got me a 70 and a purdy pic from Phil........image

Man, this has to be a tough one to image.

PCGS Link
  • Options
    Whoo Wee.....got me a 70 and a purdy pic from Phil........image

Man, this has to be a tough one to image.

PCGS Link

Congrats!!! Did u just get one? Nice!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: COCollector
    I closely inspected mine; and based on the early pops, I think chances are good it'll grade a 70.

And a 70 is worth maybe an extra $1,000?

So I submitted mine this morning.

Good luck!! Please let us know how it grades.
  • Options

Yup, just one.

Kudos to PCGS......9 business days to grade this coin with Regular submission.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, just one.

Congratulations! It's going to be a Happy New Year for Goldbully. image

• Options
    LMMLMM Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Beautiful coin and great picture of it!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome, GB!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Yup, just one.

Wow!! What a score. Congrats!!

• Options
  • Options

Wow!!! Almost four grand!!!!

Damn!!!!

One sold for $3,895!!

Pops as of 12/30/15

Ouch, our first 68.

• Options
    Well done, proud papa!

Now, post that UHR photo of yours as a celebration ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MilesWaits

Well done, proud papa!

Darn, if you insist Miles......................

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    From L&C just now - 70s way under Ebay!

2015-W $100 American Platinum Eagle, PR69DCAM, First Strike, PCGS
    $1,995.00
    2015-W $100 American Platinum Eagle graded Proof 69 Deep Cameo First Strike by PCGS
    Availability: 10 Item(S)
    Quantity:+
    -

ADD TO CART
    Add to wish list
    2015-W $100 American Platinum Eagle, PR70DCAM, First Strike, PCGS
    $3,295.00
    2015-W $100 American Platinum Eagle graded Proof 70 Deep Cameo First Strike by PCGS ***One per customer***

Looks like they have 5 70s
  • Options
    1 per customer at $3,295.00 is very good.

But (full disclosure for these boards), I have them priced for less right this minute if anybody wants a "New Year's Eve deal"! Just send me a PM! image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Thanks, Bully.

That image and coin of yours continues to warm my heart.

Happy New Year's particularly for those that got that " final mint eight minute push" of the 2015 platinum to end your year in the black.
  • Options
    Soon the undercutting with run rampant and you might be able to snag a 69 for $1600. Im hoping atleast!
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    Originally posted by: wondercoin

1 per customer at $3,295.00 is very good.

But (full disclosure for these boards), I have them priced for less right this minute if anybody wants a "New Year's Eve deal"! Just send me a PM! image

Wondercoin

Nice auction Mitch. 0.99 start. Hope no one beats my bid image

ebay link
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    I'm kind of hoping they do! image

Happy New Year!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Oh, oh, oh. A 70...........wish I hadn't spent all my money so soon.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Is there a way to check the actual sales price on eBay Best Offers accepted such as this: eBay $100 Plat Pr

At one time you could select PRINT and get the price but I can't get that done right now?
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MilesWaits
    Well done, proud papa!

Darn, if you insist Miles......................

Slammin' UHR.
  • Options
    Yes, that UHR..............such smooth, silky surfaces............bold, sharp devices................lovely. GB, you are killin' me softly.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a way to check the actual sales price on eBay Best Offers accepted such as this: eBay $100 Plat Pr

At one time you could select PRINT and get the price but I can't get that done right now?

$3500.

Try this.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

Today, Saturday January 2nd is the cutoff date for the First Strike designation for the 2015W Proof American Plat Eagle

Current Pop Report.........

• Options
    "Apples to apples"...

163 Flag First Strike for 2015 at the moment vs. 169 Flag First Strike for 2014.

Decent chance these 2015 coins in Flag 70FS "dry up" by the second or third quarter of this year. After all the "weak sisters" sell off their coins to capture the easy "low hanging fruit" profit or use the quick sales proceeds to pay off their debts in buying these 2015's.

My open bid 70FS closing tomorrow (currently at $2,800) is out there on ebay to settle up on a jointly owned coin. Once I finish off the sales needed for various accounting purposes, etc. I plan on setting aside most of my coins for the second half of 2016.

The coins have a chance to move up sharply if the Mint strikes 5,000 of the 2016 coins as opposed to 4,000. I think the odds are less than 10%, the Mint decides to strike less than 4,000 units for 2016. Odds play well for the 2015 it seems to me at this point knowing what I know now.

Just my two cents.

Wondercoin.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Overdate

$3500.

Try this.

Thanks. It will be interesting to see if Wondercoin's auction hits $3500 tomorrow night. I continue to be amazed by the number of people paying big money for high-grade moderns.

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    How much higher can people expect these coins to go? There are lower mintage moderns than this, just sayin'. Glad i sold for what I did.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    The signatures of either of the men add ZERO to me. Moy was a short term director who pushed gold and the coin was not designed by the former artist.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    There are lower mintage moderns than this, just sayin'

Yep. Lots of them. How about 33 - 2008-W FS 1/4 PLATS?

Just like always, the current crowd is "running" with the new issue.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file